sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
What are the most underrated spells? Also, your favourite spells in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

astranauta.github.io/bestiary.html#Drow Mage
kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can I get some feedback on this?

Monsters tie = DM decides who goes first
Players tie = Players decide who goes first
Player ties with monster = DM decides who goes first
You can also roll a d20 to see who gets higher

DO LIZARDFOLK BIRTH LIVE YOUNg?

No, your fixes are poo and everything you'll ever offer is awful. You're an embarrassment. You're attempting to "fix" things that professional balance teams and official studies have done for hundreds of playtesting hours and you think you can do something better. Get out.

What the fuck is this hair?

>WAAAHHH WHY CAN'T I ROLL UNTIL I GET 18 IN ALL STATS
>boring

>"Professional" balance teams
>The very same teams that made ranger
>And sorcerer
>And elemental monk
I don't like the homebrew spam either, but come on.

>WAAAAAHHHHHH WHY DO I HAVE TO PUT ANY WORK INTO CUSTOMIZING MY CHARACTER I WANT EVERYTHING DONE FOR ME
>boring

this isnt the 20th century, we dont roll for stats anymore

Your smite invocations don't fix the lack of clarity (actually, they're perfectly clear, but "balance fags" who have no idea what balance is will complain). Right now you can do either or both of the smite+extra effect. Is that your intent?

wot4e, vanilla ranger, warlock

I'd rather play those lackluster classes than see more homebrew crap flung around.

I know revised ranger fixes ranger, but does that actually make any one here want to play it?

>warlock
is great, fav class of the PHP

sir, you forgot your smug anime girl

Nice strawman! Character flaws, like unintended low stats, actually enrich roleplay!

I love Guiding Bolt
>Level 1 spell
>4d6 damage
>Creature is also debuffed

If you have 20 children 1 or 2 of them will be screwups compared to the 18 geniuses.

Yes, I'm quite sure everything is better when you're on PHP, but that doesn't mean we should balance the game assuming you're on PHP. Though this is DnD, so maybe you're on to something.

Haha nigga just close your eyes haha

>Right now you can do either or both of the smite+extra effect. Is that your intent?

I'd honestly never considered that it was possible to read the originals as "smite or extra effect", I had always read it as intended to do both.

Looking it over again, it's pretty clear that expending the slot deals damage, and then you can choose whether or not to add the extra effect. I'm fine with this.

I roleplayed my low mental stats character as retarded, he was pretty alright but I probaby wouldn't play him again

champion fighter
barbarian
sorcerer
transmutation wizard
lore bard (unique on this list as being the opposite type of unbalanced from everything else on this list)

You might have overbuffed it a little bit. I like the melee cantrip, but the smite equivalents don't need to reduce speed to 0.
The "professional balance teams" are a handful of underfunded PF fans working out of a supply closet in wotc's basement. Shit like Purple Dragon Knight and the garbage UA they pump out should be a reminder of this.

What the fuck is this pale-skinned Nubian?

No, I'm quite sure I posted the exact number of smug anime girls that I intended to.

>your favourite spells in general
Counterspell and Shield have saved me and my party from more damage than anything else

I don't really have any 'underrated' spells, the spells I have consistently used to great effect are well known to other people (Suggestion, Animate Objects, Polymorph)

Our Cleric used Sanctuary to great effect, it's very useful. We once cleared a room of ogres and other brutes with a guy holding the doorway using sanctuary and a silence.

>Using your spellslots on doing damage

No, the original language is quite clear: it lists two things you can do when you hit with an attack. Obviously this wasn't intended, which is why wizards drastically changed the language when they redid the invocation.

Best thematics and RP potential hands down, worst mechanically by a mile. It's why I'm so passionate about them honestly. So close to greatness but bogged down by an extremely flawed rest system and a feat of multiclassing.

Faggots, 30 to 32 point buy is superior to anything else, even 27 point buy. Enjoy having no points to put in dump stats, 27 fags.

>the smite equivalents don't need to reduce speed to 0.

I didn't actually add this. All I changed about the UA invocations was making them weapon-type agnostic, and requiring warlock spell slots.

>favourite
Magic missile is my spellfu
>Underrated
In my group, probably Spirit Guardians and Bless

I always use pointbuy 27, and I don't have dump stats at all, because I don't feel entitled to two 16's at level 1.

>white person in OP
>thread immediately erupts into rolling for stats/point buy/no you're badwrongfun shitposting

???

Idk man it carried over

>Spirit Guardians
I intend to use this spell to fuck up bulettes next session. Cutting their speed in half will REALLY mess with their jumps.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I'll go ahead and change that, I only intend for the rider effect to happen when a spell slot is expended.

>not using 54 point buy so everyone is balanced

>Dwarves
>White

If you don't want to dump those stats, why are you allowing yourself to be punished so harshly for putting stats over there?

Sure, in babymode games where your DM gently guides you through everything that's fine, but in more serious everybody should pull their weight and there's no reason then you shouldn't be allowed both 16s in stats as the system intends you to have and some points to put in non-class-essential scores.

She looks white skinned to me

My fix to warlocks:

>Spell slots recover on a long rest

>At level 1 they get this feature:

Eldritch Recovery
You call for your patron for help. You spend your entire turn to recover all your spell slots at the end of your next turn. You can use this feature once per long rest. At third level you get a second use of this feature.

Quick give me names appropriate for brazillian gangs largely based on race in a modern magic setting.

I need one for elves, orcs, kobolds, dwarves, and humans.

they also made warlock lol

Make short rests 10 minutes, rule that characters can only benefit from short rests twice a day

This fixes so many things, 1 hour short rests are quite useless since you can rarely rest 1 hour but not 8

Just admit it. You faggots only roll for stats because you know you can get a higher average than normal. The problem is that when one player gets something dreadful they're stuck with it and they end up playing a character that has 6's and 8's everywhere with one 12 while everyone else in the party has 14's and 18's.

Rolling for stats is the most annoying experience I've ever had as a gamer. It breaks games before they even begin. Whenever someone rolls low it completely ruins the game for them while carpetmunchers like yourself herald it as great because you got a total of +5 extra modifiers. And when a group all rolls high and gets 18's and 20's in all stats to begin with the DM has to throw shit like dragons at you for a challenge because you just auto-win and steamroll anything that comes your way.

Use Point Buy instead if you want to min-max with your shitty 15/15/15/8/8/8 array, or you can use the Standard Array like a true gentleman and take 15/14/13/12/10/8. Or you can roll and be a total jackass. Up to you.

Tolkien based his dwarves on the jews, so there's that.

That really explains a lot

Non-human races don't count for diversity points.

Why do white people even exist in a setting where easy travel has been a thing for thousands of years?

Are there any classes that would be fine with getting 20 con before any other stats/feats?

What's a fun "final boss" to pit three level 6/7 characters against in an underground setting?

this

rolling is barbaric and point buy is degenerate

the best always go standard array

I can't believe there are still people who don't know the insular bearded clan-based people who have a secret language, impeccable skills with goldsmithing and a storied history of losing their homeland to become listless diaspora are not based on Jews.

You're the only one talking about rolling for stats.

I'm saying point buy is better than standard array, because standard array is boring as shit and limits customization

I read half of the second sentence in your post, and ignored the rest. Good job typing all that you presumptive cunt.

We roll for stats because it usually results in somewhat different arrays, while if we point buy, everyone is going to take the same array.

We have a rule though that you can always take the standard array if you're unsatisfied with what you rolled.

So usually people end up with a few good stats, a few shitty stats, and in different degrees. It works out better than point buy has in our experience.

A drow mage with a couple of minions.

Well, I was going to ask for suggestions on building a Tiefling Sorcerer, but it looks like everyone is arguing about point-buy and balance fixes.

Should I go Abyssal Tiefling / Dragonic Bloodline? That seems like a fun mix, where ancient parentage was meddling in all sorts of non-humane things. What sort of backgrounds do you think would be neat?
I'm thinking about having him be a Mage Hunter, focused on isolating and taking down mages by bursting or CCing them before they can escape. Any opinions?

Because their the majority of humans and have the most wizards while most tribes are still very tribal

>while if we point buy, everyone is going to take the same array.

Yes and?

Seriously, having +/-5% on dice is going to do so much for your roleplay ability?

barbarian, any melee fighter, and stone sorcerer hate it the least but would still prefer a different stat first

I think the best combination of balance and fun is to have everyone in the group roll for a set of stats, and then have the group choose on one set to use.

Then everyone has the same array of stats, and everyone got to roll.

The DM has a clear set of stats to design encounters around.

Champion is fine. It's supposed to be a basic fighter that's strong but has nothing fancy.

Barbarian is fine. The flat damage given by rage is my only problem. Should be rolling 1d4/1d6/1d8's when you rage.

Sorcerer is fine. At higher levels they nuke shit better than wizards in some cases with their metamagic options.

Not familiar with Transmutation wizard so I can't comment on that one.

Lore Bard is strong, I agree, but the flavor behind it is something I would never personally play as. Nobody would ever play as a bard unless it was decent, same reason why they made Clerics good, but people will play as Warlocks even though they're one of the crappiest classes because they like the flavor.

Sounds good. What would be an appropriate level for the drow? I'm rather new to DMing and don't have a good sense yet for that sort of thing yet.

What class would have good synergy with shadow monk?

If you want to be a mage hunter, than you're really ought to pick Counterspell. It's real life-saver, especially when nerds try to teleport away.
I've had a case in my campaign, where one of the players counterspelled a Meteor Swarm, that would otherwise kill the entire party.

Yes, and it is an outcome we don't like!

For god's sake, don't build your monsters using PC rules. Drow mage is a CR7 creature from Monster Manual. Here are his statistics.
astranauta.github.io/bestiary.html#Drow Mage

You can also plan encounters using Kobold's Fight Club.
kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

Sometimes I miss 2e where rolling for stats was fine since classes worked perfectly fine with "low" important ability scores and a fighter with 15 strength wasn't totally worthless

You mean as a multiclass? Or do you have a shadow monk in your party, and you want to capitalize on that?

Huh. I wasn't aware they did that.

As a multiclass, yep

Thank you, sir. I see you are a gentleman and a scholar as well.

I can accept Point Buy. Anything is better than rolling like a lump of potatoes slung down a hill.

I don't see a problem with people having the same number of starting stats that they can distribute in different ways across the board. Everyone has a 15 to start with but they can choose to put it wherever they'd like. Sounds to me like everyone is either playing the same class or the same character. There's plenty of diversity in a group and the dice has nothing to do with it.

Still has the same problems, just evens it out amongst everyone. I'm not a fan of it personally. It could be fun for one-shot's at a higher level, but when you roll low as a group it's the same as it is rolling low for an individual person: everyone will know they have shit stats, and the campaign begins on a low note.

Shadow monk 6/Rogue 14 is a popular build, since it essentially allows you to play a ninja, the "teleports behind you" kind.

It was fine because it was pointless. You only get a difference of +/-3 at 18/3. Basically, for 90% characters the difference between a good and a bad one was like 4 at the very, very worst, and there was nothing stopping you from just not going with a class you have shit stats for.

Stats only mattered for skills and shit.

>I don't see a problem with people having the same number of starting stats that they can distribute in different ways across the board.

That's fine. We didn't like it, so we changed how we did things. Why are anti-stat rollers so evangelical?

I should probably mention we'll be at level three, so Counterspell is still a ways off. It's definitely on the list of spells to take!
Is Fire just the best damage type for dragonic bloodline? I kinda wanted to go ice, but all the spells that deal relevant damage seem to be fire.

Since nobody else in this thread is answering the thread question, I think it is catapult, being able to hit multiple enemies and deal multiple d8s of damage is pretty good for a first level spell.

No. In fact, fire is probably the worst element to use, because half the Monster Manual resists it - only poison sucks more. As a sorcerer, you probably don't have much of a choice, though.

I just want you to accept that you're a dirty min-maxing degenerate.

How would you deal with a PC essentially "becoming" a warlock in the middle of a campaign

I don't meant multiclassing into one. But if he encounters something that would form pacts and sells his soul for power, what would you give him? If you're at 6th level it's not like suddenly having a 1st level warlock added on will be that useful

>warlock spell slots
That's not a thing in 5e. Spell slots are spell slots, no matter where they come from.
Since warlocks use "Pact Magic" instead of "Spellcasting," you can TECHNICALLY phrase things in a way that suggests only those spell slots can be used... but it would be entirely against 5e's entire design philosophy.

but we roll for the possibility of lower stats too. You'll never get me to accept that my fun is somehow badwrong!

That sounds similar to what I had envisioned, and it works great. Thanks

The only acceptable rolling for stats is straight down the line.

Roll for strength. Oh no, you got a 4!

Roll for dexterity. Uh-oh, you got an 8!

Con is 5, Int is 14, Wis is 16, Charisma is 7!

Then you keep it.

the revised ua smiting invocation specifies warlock spell slots

3d6 straight down is the best

>tfw rolled stats fags will defend themselves with 'b-b-but muh character variation' when point buy gives just as much variation with none of the bullshit

So, where is that movie you've promised?

>Choose class first, then roll stats
>Choose wizard, roll 3 for Intelligence
>Can only prepare one spell a day

>get 3 con
>pick a d6 hitdice class

You should definitely roll before making your class.

Although that could be hilarious. Fighter with 3 in both Strength and Dexterity, but 18 in Intelligence and Wisdom.

I didn't realize this, but this is just another way in which the UA warlock invocations mess up game concepts and balance.

I can promise you that it will be amusing for about one session.

>die and roll a new character with brilliant stats

Rolled 14, 17, 14, 13, 7, 11 = 76 (6d20)

6d20, down the line, after choosing race and class.

Kobold Glamour Bard

I have a GOO Tomelock. What's an ideal list of spells for level 6?

Right now I'm sporting (excluding cantrips and rituals)

Suggestion
Hypnotic Pattern
Hex
Darkness
Dissonant Whispers
Dispel Magic
Fly

This seems to have a fair bit of RP and Combat utility. Are any of these trap spells?

>so why didn't you learn magic or become a cleric for a god or something?
>it just didn't look like a good idea at the time

Oh, that's fair. I suppose I can just ignore it for the most part anyway, level 6 is a long ways off.
Ice it is!

>So stupid they always prepare a useless spell anyway