>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Possession of this Galaxy is Mankind's birthright
youtube.com/watch?v=9QdnDO5aCM4

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FayBHOhucf0
youtu.be/8CHVvvwbbek?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is there a way to test paint layers tok see how they look on models? I don't want to experiment on paints I might not need...

>Previous Threads Cont. :

lazy copy paste

> Must. not. pat. lil. chaplain. on. head.

Changed poop whip. Added some snow for use in Frostgrave. C+C?

How can they even compete? Etc, etc.

>teaching feeling.jpg
C'mon, do it!

besides reaper bones, which are cheapo and available in lots, mirliton, prince august, and essex all have relatively cheap metal mini selections

How to conquer the fear of failure? Now that I've picked the army I actually want to play, bought some stuff and watched a few tutorials, how do I overcrome the fear of ducking up what I've already invested time and money into?

Also ideas for painting the sector imperialis bases?

Reposting from the tail end of last thread.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions for miniatures to paint.

In preparation for Kingdom Death coming out in the relatively near future, I've decided to try get up my painting chops, and I'm looking for suggestions for some interesting, fun minis to paint. I don't really care about any particular game I used to play necrons and a little bit of cryx, but it's been years and I was garbage at them but so far I've grabbed some Malifaux minis that were on sale at my LGS and am looking for more. Ideally something that's not super duper expensive, and has some nice variety in detail so I can get practice doing lots of different things and experiment.

Any ideas Veeky Forums?

Take it slow, and take it easy. Remember, they'll stay for as long as you need them to, there's no rush.
Personally I'll usually throw on a movie or show to watch while I paint/model, make myself a cup of hot tea, and just enjoy it. Even if you mess something up, those little defects and mistakes give it character. I still have an Iron Lich Asphyxious from high school that is frankly, terribly painted but I love it anyway, because it was so much fun to do. It's not about making some kind of amazing stellar work of art, its about enjoying the process and enjoying making what are quite frankly in the end, "your dudes".

That's awesome. Did you microwave a DV marine?

Tiny bit of progress today doing the pitting on the plastic. Needs a bit of clean up and a whole load of green stuff work.

Just relax, doesn't matter if you mess up, you can always try again and it's a learning experience every time.

heat gun+ clothes iron

Are custodes true scale?
Sick color scheme, much better than GW imo

I hope you'll use plenty of texture paints when you'll paint it

By realizing and accepting the following

You will get better by doing
you WILL after a few months, look back at the model you were really happy with and consider it garbage. And this is because you improve, and raise your standards.

I knw that it is a big as fuck treshold to crosss, particularly with resin, as you paid a mint and look at GREAT painters. But the best is just to get going.

If you want to see something of what i am talking about i can post encouraging before and after

Thanks lads, this is encouraging. I will be sure to post here for lols and progress reports when I do get around to it

I'm looking for some guidance on basing

I'm hoping to make some bases like an artillery wrecked, boggy no man's land. I've got Battlemire, my girlfriend bought me some resin to stuff to do water with and I'm getting some barbed wire - what else could I use?

Bearing in mind this is going to be with some sieging Imperial Fist Primaris marines, so it won't necessarily be all splintered wood and sandbags and torn up trees etc

Custodes are huge. taller than Terminators and Deathwatch.

I'd say Primaris are the same size as Custodes minus the extra height from the custodes tall helmet.

- Matchsticks make good posts to string the barbed wire with
- Get some of the really thin corrugated cardboard and peel it, it's a pretty good stand in for corrugated iron.
- Bits of chaos marines (painted as iron warriors, of course)

Good man, you will probably regret it at first, because you think you're "ruining" the models, but this is just like skinning your perfect knee while starting to run. It will make you better

I'm actually planning on painting it quite clean then busting out the enamels for rust and weathering.

There is a regular here who posts blue coated death korps of kreig and I think has recently been painting up some khorne AoS stuff. He does really great looking bases just like your pic, try summoning him.

I may be wrong, but I think Primaris are a little bit shorter than custodes, even if just by a small amount (also not counting extra height) from some pictures I've seen.

you are correct

Painted helmet black, scrapped and went for gold/brass, then back for black. I don't understand this TMM thing much beyond theory... Also, how does one do black armour?

Had to look that term up; sounds like you're still doing gradient highlighting like NMN, just using metallic paint.
>black armor
Start from dark gray, so you can shade down to black.

Going to go for Minotaurs once I get my Primaris. Base is going to be Warplock Bronze, what is the best method to achieve a gritty war-torn / weathered look? Drybrushing, overbrushing or by layering then washing? Planning to wash with Seraphim Sepia.

I'm making slow progress through my backlog; same image as last thread, but I haven't been home to work on it more. How do you guys feel about a variety of skin tones on Eldar/Dark Eldar? The right is pre-wash/highlight "standard" DE skin, whereas the left is regular Cadian Fleshtone/Reikland. I'm experimenting with different shades as I go along, without duplicates outside of my Covens models; I'm not sure how different washes will interact (Druchii Violet over Cadian Fleshtone will probably look... weird), but it's a learning experience and all that. Any suggestions for combinations that might look good? And does anyone have that PDF of different ethnicities' skin colors and how to get them with model paints?

Left model is done, right has about 75% of the base coat.

Can someone give me an interesting paint scheme for my next on force? I have my warriors painted and the sea of silver isn't exactly fun to look at. I have my canoptek spiders and wrsiths to do, along with some vehicles. I'm thinking black silver with purple highlights but I'm no good at visualizing good color pairings

thin your paints

ploughing through these for release weekend.

And this one for meself.

Not an expert but looking at the canoptek spiders, just how I'd envision the paint scheme.

Base purple
White for the lights, gems, insignias
Highlight blue that contracts the purple

Maybe wash violet or purple if you have them.

I think a variety of skintones in the same force could look cool as long as the elements you choose to unify the force (armor or whatever) are strong and consistent enough. I'd think fucking around with pigmentation would be on the really simple end of what would be possible/considered fashionable in commorragh

Sponge on some silver here and there

Has anyone ever compiled a 'best of /wip/' gallery?

Collaboration with the wife on some 41st Millennium Bird Watching.

I'd like to plow some Primaris marines, if you know what I mean.

archaeopteryxes (or whatever) look great, the scenery is nice, and I really like the freehand work on those shoulder pads. heartwarming hobby fun!

oh i do....

if they had just redesigned the jump packs for these dudes and come out with a new chainsword design or something I would have been pumped about the primaris assault marines, cause I like these the more I look at them. Those fucking baby skis are just unforgivable though. Nice paintjob, slightly lazy on the knees and helmets

Trying out some Tyranid paint schemes on spare parts. I like the look of Hive Fleet Behemoth in the artwork but I want to try to make the colors look a bit more organic than the usual fire truck red.

Do these colors look ok or are they too dull instead?

Looks really fuckin' good in my opinion. You got the acid look down pat, the shell has its hints of shine, the flesh is a good complement without overpowering either.

hard to say on a piece this small. it looks great now. try it on a larger tyranid monster to get the full effect. I have a feeling youre gonna want to be bolder with the carapace highlights, at least

Have you thought about applying some Nurgle's rot on the tongue?

Carapace looks goods, the red looks ok, maybe one more highlight another step up? A crimson could really sell the red look or something more purple to match the carapace more?

Also that's a lovely crisp looking pickle hes snacking on.

Thanks man.

You are totally right, the edges are lacking highlights and the ones I have where the plates overlap could be bolder.

Bought the Start Collecting set but I haven't been able to decide on a scheme before now so I've just been painting old spare heads from my bitz box. Guess it's time to move on to actual models.

Not a fan of the dirty green of Nurgle's Rot, I'd rather keep the green parts bright to stand out against the duller skin.

Some parts could use another highlight, though to be honest I find many painters tend to over-highlight skin which makes it look blocky. Though that's probably just down to taste.

Don't think I'll give my nids pickles to suck on, but it was fun painting this slimy guy.

How does sub assembling work?

you just glue certain parts on later, it's not a very difficult concept

Just got all this Dreamblade stuff for just the postage cost. Rubbery boardgame plastics but there's some really weird stuff in there, some generic fantasy, some pulp sci-fi, some Lovecraftian, others in that baroque Dark Souls/Kingdom Death style. Actual humans are about 35mm and a bit shit, but plenty of monsters that look fine for 28mm either as miniatures or for terrain like statues.

I think I've reached peak miniature though, I'll never get everything painted in one lifetime.

But I can't put primer and paint where I want to put the glue right? Should I use like masking tape?

So the plane isn't painted yet but I'm really happy with how the ground came out. Crashed P-40 for Bolt Action. (xpost from /hwg/)

What is Astrogranite Debris actually supposed to be?

Anyone got suggestions for an edge highlighting brush that isn't shit? The standard GW one is unusable.

Be careful if you want to rebase those fuckers, some of them are really hard to cut through.

Taking the smaller square base out of the bigger base is a losing proposition, too.

Cracked stone.

Or you can scrape off the paint with a knife, file or fine-grit sandpaper afterwards.

That sounds like a horrible idea

Work continues. Couple places could use some neatening up.

I'm making progress on my skirmish warband, hoping to get them done for Tuesday for a game

My guess is the Astrogranites are supposed to represent gravel, rubble, that sort of battlefield debris that you get after a place has been so thoroughly fucked it's all just smashed up into fine powder, etc.

>Couple places could use some neatening up.
Banner is the only thing that strikes me as needing work- the yellow is duller there- but beyond that it looks pretty good, m8y.

Buying Ork Warbikers for the first time. How easy is it to convert them to Nobz?

You do yellow over a black primer?

Mad man

Dorf

Reminder that ANY ONE OF YOU can take home a Golden Demon given enough dedication! Here's a tutorial for help

youtube.com/watch?v=FayBHOhucf0

stupid phone

>that sounds like the pug butt tutorial
>it is

You get a thumbs up, Anonymous.

Just doing my part to inspire fellow anons. Just because we're on Veeky Forums doesn't mean we can't help each other out!

Anyone have any idea on how to paint these Vostroyans? Need to start working on mine.

Oh god no. I use AP Daemonic Yellow spray primer, and then I layer Yriel Yellow onto it, and then glaze it twice over with Lamentors Yellow (AP's yellow is very dull and extremely matte, picture related.)

Need a batter picture when it's daylight, But I'm calling this chap done.

very blanchitsu, looks good

paint names are obviously outdated, but you could use the equivalency chart for the new colors, the vallejo game color range, which had equivalents for all GW paints or just freestyle and use this as a jumping off point.

He looks so happy

Thank you kind user

What kind of mask/respirator should I use when working with resin and solvents/paints? I don't want to get cancer desu

What gives you cancer is chronic exposure.
Not handling a handful miniatures and a few fumes every few months.

Unless you are a full time painter the panic some people like to spread is somewhat misplaced.

When working with resin just sand it whet, so you don't breath the dust, and open a window when using solvents.

If you want to buy a mask anyway just read the description and what the filters are good for.

Forgot that i got a photo box deliberately because i paint at night, So i can actually take pictures.

Cheers!
He does, All the poxwalkers are full of character.

>solvents/paints?
I've read over the safety shit on Vellejo's website, and what's in the OP. Most paints we are going to deal with as proud men who paint plastic soldiers/aliens/monsters/demons aren't going to cause us any problems whatsoever. Typically, only spray cans will pose a threat, but if you didn't know that already, you're an idiot and you should listen to Primus' 'Lacquerhead' track a few times or something to get the idea it's bad.

As says, you're probably fine, though I'd recommend those rigid disposable face masks. They tend to be cheap, and since you only need it when you use toxic glues (Testors does sell non-toxic plastic glue) or file resin, I doubt you -need- anything more heavy-duty unless you really want it.

Please tell me how you did that base

humbrol model filler built up with a spatula, With bits of dried stick just stuck into it or super glued onto the base, then spatula more filler on top. A few patches of stirland mud, then prime white.

Then paint entirely with model mates weathering washes. I started from green , then brown, then black, then green on top again.

That's it, just drown the whole thing in them and lert them wash together.I also used them to paint the trousers and the rust.

Are army painter paints good? For priming and basing at least?

Hey guys, I need some help/advice. So I'm working on a Sisters of Battle army, and I've hit a wee bit of a snag. See I need a design I can freehand onto the banners a few of my priests are carrying as well as the shields of my crusader conversions. Thing is I need something simple that I could realistically free hand on the lot of them without fucking up (i've never free handed before) that kinda fits with the army. Since the whole army is fluffed as a crusade I just figured I'd call whatever symbol I end up putting on the banners and shields the symbol of the crusade. Thing is I can't think up any good relatively simple options. Could you guys maybe give me some suggestions?

Iron Crosses are cannon. Just do the more line-based ones if you don't want the curve pic related has.

Yeah I could do that.

Yes but it's stupid expensive (at least up in Canada) so go with some regular spray primer if you can. I usually use Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X primer but they don't have yellow at my local hardware store unfortunately.

Seriously though, a regular can of spray paint is like maybe $4 and I think this thing ran me $10 or $15. If you can use normal person spray primer, do it.

this looks pretty great from end to end. love the selective green wash on the gold

Hey thanks man, I appreciate it.

Is there an official guide to painting Farsight Enclave?

I'm pretty sure Duncan made a video on them

Would normal person spray primer work or does it look like shit? I've been told it would look like shit, and that you could tell at a glance, but to be fair, the dude was trying to sell me paint st the time.

It's going to depend heavily on the primer; some primers would, I'm sure, look like shit. I use Duplicolor Sandable Auto Primer and it's easily the thinnest primer I've ever seen and works perfectly. I've heard other people swear by Rustoleum and Krylon, as well, so I'm sure those are good, but I recommend paying attention to the specific kind of primer they recommend as formulation can differ even within the same company.

youtu.be/8CHVvvwbbek?list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW