/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls General

Music edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Ascended Sleepers

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LiBEfBQvOYU?t=3m50s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I AM OLDER THAN MUSIC

Daily reminder that Wheels of Lull and c0da are canon.

What's a Kapla?

Ascended Sleepers are cute.

Reminder Vivec is a fraud

A unit of time.

>c0da are canon.
Gross.

This is correct.

>HOLY FUCK I CANT LIFT MY HEAD

You have shit taste.

Why do you think that?

Well, duh

The question is, would you rather have false gods that act or real gods that don't?

1. You dislike c0da enough to mention it.
2. Vivec isn't a fraud. Actually, jury is out on that.
3. You reply to bait, which is what I'm doing right now.

>3. You reply to bait, which is what I'm doing right now.
I'm doing that right now as well.

But Azura always help her people

"Canon" is a difficult term to apply to C0DA, considering it takes place in one of many possible distant futures. The backstory it establishes or more accurately elucidates is factual, which is evident from how well it fits into or explains previous loose ends, but the events aren't things that "happened" or "will happen," they're things that "could happen."

Wheels of Lull isn't canon at all.

What a pointless post, like every you've made so far in this thread.

Reminder that posts that start with "Reminder" are cancer, as is anyone who replies. If you don't like something, don't talk about it.

>The question is, would you rather have false gods that act or real gods that don't?
Well, the false god in this case killed a huge amount of people, possibly millions, so I'll go with the other gods. Even then, the other ones do things as well.

More or less, but she didn't have nearly as great an influence as the three-in-one

The aedra, though, are truly passive, and it's foolish to worship them

>Barad Dur was Vivec's fault
He lost his powers. He didn't let it fall out of spite

I'm going to go out on a very sturdy limb and say that if you think this you don't understand something like 50% of the lore, or more accurately 80% of Dunmer lore. Maybe started with Skyrim.

He had every opportunity before then to remove it, but he would rather keep it there as a threat to never stop worshiping him.

How so?

Read the Sermons. Think about Veloth and the phrase "cut yourself into better shapes." Play Morrowind and pay attention to everything.

What race is going to make it to the next kalpa?

The problem is we can't know if he really intended to ever carry out his threat - in this case, the metaphorical arm holding up the rock disappeared along with Vivec, rather than being part of a intentional dropping of Barad Dur. You might as well be mad at him for disappearing.

None, this is the final kalpa.
Still the Dreugh though.

So you're saying Vivec totally did it out of the goodness of his own heart for the Dunmer as a whole, for some stupid struggle, not giving a shit that his actions caused suffering for millions?

The fact that he kept it there in the first place gives me serious doubts that it was an idle threat.

IMO it's as much a threat to himself as to the Dunmer. Remember, Vivec is his city.
Anyway, it's called LIE Rock for a reason: his guilt is always hovering over his head. When Vivec dies, the city dies. And vice versa.

Yes. Sort of. Can't comment so much on intentions, can only speculate. But it worked out in the end. Like I said, read more. If you have, read it until you get it.

As far as I remember, none of the human races make it, so it's gotta be either the beast races one of the kinds of elves. I want to say Dunmer.

You can hold a gun and never intend to shoot it, though - it's not your fault if it's dropped (when you disappear from existence) and it goes off and shoots someone.

>But it worked out in the end.
I don't really see it. Redoran has more power these days, cool. But it looks like the Dunmer as a whole are now in a shittier place in general.

I'm not just talking about the time period Skyrim is set in. I'm taking about centuries down the road. I'm talking about Amaranth.

A kalpa is the measure of time from the beginning of the universe to the end of it (or rather, its rebirth). Unit of time isn't exactly accurate, since each kalpa is a bit longer than the last in TES. It's a Buddhist concept irl.

Since it's a measure of time, there are constants across every kalpa that make them very similar, because there were events that preceded time (namely, the creation of Nirn, everything else that happened before the Convention, the Convention itself and the event caused by Convention, the Shattering of Lorkhan, which in turn caused time to crystallise- this is called the Dawn Era). Things flowing directly from Convention (the creation of the moons and some version of Tamriel, and the erection of Ada-Mantia) must therefore be a constant across all kalpas as well.

Yokuda was apparently the "main" continent from a previous kalpa, transposed to this one by weird redguard magic but later destroyed by different redguard magic. One of Kirkbride's more dubious texts purports that the Nords have a ballad where Lorkhan or Molag Bal and Mehrunes Dagon worked together across many kalpas to preserve pieces of them in a ploy to assassinate Alduin, as punishment for which Alduin turned Mehrunes Dagon into the Prince of Destruction and tasked him with destroying these preserved pieces. That's got shit like Alduin talking like a 90s mall rat though, so... Yeah.

fuck you retard

No, he disappeared. He kept it up for some time after he "lost" "his" "powers," long enough for mortals to construct a makeshift device to keep it up a while longer.

Vivec was a bad dude through and through. His love was true, it was the source of his power, but he loved in pretty much the worst way.

Are you talking about c0da or something?

Yes.

Oh. I just see that as some fanfiction with no bearing on anything. So I disregard it.

I remember reading that this kalpa is the dream of a major being from the previous kalpa. I forgot who/which it was… Anui-El? I'm probably mixing things up, though.

If a kalpa ends, what gets destroyed and what remains? Is only Mundus destroyed, but Aetherius remains (since IIRC the Redguards wait out the transition at the Far Shores, which is part of Aetherius)?

>final kalpa
wat

Which is exactly the same thing as ignoring the last chapter of a book and then complaining that the story made no sense or that you don't understand the character motivations. You unfathomable fucking retard.

>You unfathomable fucking retard.
Wew. Think I touched a nerve there.

You're mixing up kalpa and dreams. Kalpa are a phenomenon, a cycle, within the dream.

It's not like this conversation has happened, oh, a hundred fucking times before or anything.

Ah, that clears it up, thanks.

So what's the official consensus on the disappearance of the Dwemer? Did they all simultaneously Zero-Sum themselves or was it something else? Why did Yagrum Bagarn's being in an "Outer Realm" protect him?

Apparently they all merged with Numidium.

They became the metaphorical skin of the Numidium.

Also, semi-unrelatedly, does the constellation of the Tower have anything to do with the Tower that Lorkhan saw the universe as?

That's likely, but there's not much significance beyond that. Like the constellations Warrior, Mage, et al.

>Wheels of Lull isn't canon at all.

It is. Go play the new ESO: Morrowind.

Tsaesci, this is what Kirkbride meant when he said the future was to the east

Why do you keep spelling Baar Dau like that

>dreugh
>redguards
>hist
Have any other sapient races survived the heckoning before?

You're both retards. C0DA is like in-setting speculative fiction, not a certain prophecy. That was MK's whole point with the "c0da philosophy" spiel, or more accurately the point of dumping that hot load alongside the C0DA script. If things had gone or go any differently at any point in Tamriel's history the setting could be different in many ways and especially speculations that seem plausible and fit into the lore now but aren't technically "canon" could be the case in that alternate timeline. It was literally just "haha what if TES was like comics" (in that comics have frequent reboots with the conceit that their universe has a branching timeline, meaning every time things could go one way or another two similar but divergent timelines are produced), so C0DA built into it in two ways: by being in one of MANY POSSIBLE futures, and by being a fucking comic book script.

On the other hand it's written by one of the most established and prolific writers for the series as a more serious work than his little nuggets of shit he liked to troll r/teslore with for example, and endorsed by the currently most credible writer on the team. You'd be wise not to ignore the things it establishes about the past and "present" of the setting (Hjalti was a Breton, the Dwemer did indeed Numidium-skin themselves, Memory dwells in Nirn, Nirn's core is a bizarre magical clockwork that Sotha Sil was built into, Tosh Raka is in fact living Akatosh's development backward, Numidium could still come back and would severely fuck shit up, AlmSiVi still exist in some form (and even if they returned, they would still be rampant propagandists), Akatosh dwells in Lorkhan's Heart).

In some thread on /v/ or Veeky Forums long agosomeone theorised, and backed up with both canon texts that allude to the Dwemer “singing” on Numidium, and something about Dwemer remote-controlled technology using atomised soul fragments like radio waves to send commands to their machines over long distances, that the Dwemer basically shattered their souls into infinitesimally small fragments, which coat the Numidium.
Something about how, since most stuff in the TES universe is a chain of Dreamers breaking up their selves into fragments within the Dream, who then further fragment into smaller aspects of themselves, that the Dwemer sought to take this to its logical conclusion and shattered/atomised their souls into the smallest possible fragments.

Go home Kirkbride

>Why did Yagrum Bagarn's being in an "Outer Realm" protect him?
It was a sound or tone, a great vibration, that drew them in. He was too far away for it to reach him.

>go play a new noncanon work
Thanks for the chuckle, anonerino.

Best shrine?

Using their new god-like powers, they finally constructed structures and ropes strong enough to support their massive frames in order to hang themselves like the disgusting fedora neckbeards they were.

I like the one that looks like a vagina hyuck hyuck hyuck

honestly, Ar'kay's looks the coolest but I'm more inclined to say Julianos just because Ar'kay's a busta.

Anyone else ever get the feeling that Kynareth's and Dibella's got swapped for some reason?

Blossoming flowery shapes remind me more of Dibella to be honest. For obvious reasons.

But I mean, Kynareth's is a LITERAL vulva, while Kynareth is a goddess of nature and growth. Dibella's also looks sort of like a womb symbol, but Dibella is more about the actual fucking where Kynareth is about fertility, so even then they feel swapped.

So could the Hist theoretically give a newly reincarnated Argonian their old memories from their previous life to them?

Possibly.

Though their preferred method seems to be that if they ever need to give an Argonian a glimpse into the past, they just make him see it through the Hist. Like how Mere-Glim sees Lilmoth in the past.

Kinda like this?

I think the best shrine is that of Stendarr - that 'free-floating' horn pouring one out is amazing, and stands out so much from all the others. I think Mara's shrine would actually be more fitting for Kynareth's - the swirling patterns look a lot more like wind.

But for amulets, I have to say Zenithar. Simple, business-like - you can't argue with a silver pendant, especially one that looks to be of pleasantly simple, but sturdy, craftsmanship - most have chains that are so ornate and don't seem good for wear by the lay believer. Only the Talos amulet comes close to that simple and practical design, and they all look verdigrised (rather fitting for an outlawed god, but still).

Previous thread because OP seems to have forgotten.

Yes, specially when she lets the Khajiit be enslaved and their moons be hidden.

Something something...Alduin defeated...something

She only likes the Dunmer

>tfw playing TESVI in dream and its better than any previous gane
>tfw wake up

fuck you todd

How was it, dreamboy?

it was actually just daggerfall 2 but with actual content everywhere and not in gamebryo

>And so the Tongues freed us from Alduin's rage,
>Gave the gift of the Voice, ushered in a new Age!
>And if Alduin's eternal, then eternity's done,
>For his story is over and the dragons are gone.

>High Rock
Eww

Baar Dau was a grand act of, dare I say, "poetry."
A kind of final slap in the face, if you will, so the Dunmer realize they're on their own now and the gravity (in this case literally) of what that means, like 'hey think fast!'
It was definitely an evil thing to do but it was what the Dunmer needed to move on. Coming together and conquering your issues head on is kind of what the whole Velothi condition is about.
Note that the last time Vvardenfell erupted, was during the War of the First Council. When the Chimer changed into the Dunmer, and the Tribunal began their ascension into a new age. Now that shit is in the past and they must change again, and find a new way forward.
As I said, "poetry."

They should have fucking mined the rest of it and throw the pebbles somewhere else

Nah, it was more technical and autistic.

That seems to be more straightforward than you're making it out to be, user - it's just saying that Alduin was famed to be immortal, but no longer existed (until his reappearance, obviously, but the songwriters were presumably existent before that). It says nothing about this being the last kalpa.

it's like pottery it rhymes

That's my headcanon as to what the whole sap ritual is about, but I don't have any hard evidence for it.
The hist certainly do retain memories from the argonians, even as far back as Redguard it seems implied that the entire species purpose is to gather experiences and memories.

tfw pretty sure I wrote this because it rambles on for so long and is in my style but not positive because it was three years ago

>the swirling patterns look a lot more like wind
They're knots, fits Mara well imo.

>most have chains that are so ornate and don't seem good for wear by the lay believer
Kynareth's is a leather cord, what do you want

>lets
Nigger do you think she can do anything on Nirn directly? The whole point of Oblivion is that Akatosh agreed to rewrite the terms of his covenant, and now it doesn't matter if a dragonborn emperor sits on the throne, he's not letting Princes waltz around on Nirn. Best she can do is send agents to do her bidding or appear as an illusion.

What does the 37th sermon mean?

>I remember reading that this kalpa is the dream of a major being from the previous kalpa. I forgot who/which it was… Anui-El? I'm probably mixing things up, though.
Not quite. Someone from an entirely previous universe, not just a previous kalpa in this one. It was Anu, a being who projected himself as the concept of Stasis in this one. Anui-el is his soul, so you pretty much got that part right, mostly.

>If a kalpa ends, what gets destroyed and what remains? Is only Mundus destroyed, but Aetherius remains (since IIRC the Redguards wait out the transition at the Far Shores, which is part of Aetherius)?
Mundus is destroyed, but at least part of Oblivion remains, because the Hist hid in Oblivion. Aetherius is outside of even that, and the Yokudans hid out there, so presumably it remains too, yeah.

>wat
Just a theory a gay theory

Assuming he's not referring to the erroneous notion that breaking all of the Towers will end reality (it will only allow Tamriel to sink into the ocean, like Lyg and Yokuda before it) or the mistaken idea that C0DA is an inevitability, he's probably talking about the ending of Skyrim.

Paarthurnax tries to talk you out of going after Alduin, saying that sometimes something must end to make way for something new and so on (he even namedrops kalpas). It's fairly well-known that Alduin eats the world so that a new kalpa can begin, resetting everything before things go too far off the rails and something that DOES threaten all of reality happens. This kalpa, Alduin was already being a bit weird, and for that he was sealed away until a future date, when he would be unleashed to do what he was meant to. But instead, the Last Dragonborn kills him, preventing the kalpa from ending.

Of course, you don't absorb his soul, he just breaks, which, while he breaks pretty badly, is still probably something the Jills will fix as well as they can. The Greybeards pretty much tell you that means he'll be back one day.

>Of course, you don't absorb his soul, he just breaks
The dragon breaks? Really makes you think.

I wonder how sex with them would feel? those tentacles look like they could get into some nice pkaces and im drunk.
Shrine to arkay for the win! Its simple and nice. Kynraths amulet is the best.

>gravity
>one of the core virtues of House Redoran, who rose to prominence in the wake of the Red Year
like, dare I say, "pottery"

Yep. 103.9% sure that was the whole point. Why Skyrim is the first game since Daggerfall to contain mutually exclusive choices that should have a profound impact on the future etc etc.

>Gravity
Well, if I ever run a UESRPG game, I know what I'm going to make the Priest of Boethiah BBEG like.

Either that, or roleplay him if I ever decide to re-download Skyrim

ESO is canon, that it isn't is a meme like "engine limitations"

Spiral Staircase
Ancestor Moth
Ruins Street
Ash Yam Tart
Ancestor Moth
Subgradient
Ancestor Moth
Convention
Lythandas
Ehlnofey
Nirnroot
Ancestor Moth
Convention
Secret Emperor
Finally, I have reached CHIM! I can now follow you, Vivec.

>that it isn't is a meme like "engine limitations"
So a meme but also accurate?

No, more that it's a meme that came from one person on /v/ saying something, and people acting like that's the truth. Todd (or anyone at Bethesda) has never said anything about engine limitations. They have also never said that ESO wasn't canon.

>it's a meme that came from one person on /v/ saying something
You are delusional if you believe this to be the case.

That's exactly where it came from. Nobody has ever said "engine limitations" at Bethesda.

I was talking about "ESO is not canon." That's a "meme" in that it's a simple and oft-repeated phrase that is favoured over other phrasings of the same idea, but it originated not from "on person on /v/ saying [it]" but from the fact that ESO is not only not written by anyone that writes for the main series but contradicts or "retcons" established canon in a slew of stupid and arbitrary ways (which Colonel Sanders tried to play off, which was admittedly pretty sad to see, how much he and the whoever else they had interacting with the community struggled to keep up with pretty much every detail of their garbage version of Tamriel being scrutinised and questioned), and was made with a shoddy team pulled together by corporate suits who are completely out of touch with the audience of their IP that spent more on advertising than developing the game (and, while it's neither here nor there, had a gratuitous pay model to begin with and was still a financial failure).

This isn't really tg, but todd talking about tes6 he specifically says the technology isn't there yet.
youtu.be/LiBEfBQvOYU?t=3m50s
As anyone who plays any modern game that isn't on any bethesda engine would know, the technology is there. It's never been the technology the user can buy that limits games. It's been there. It's THEIR technology that isn't there. Bethesda's technology. aka their engine.
So their engine isn't there yet. What they can do is limited by their engine not being there yet.
So to summarize, "(engine limitations)" -toddhoward.

This is slmost the exact argument of why oblivion was not canon btw.

None of the tes games are canon by that logic user. Maybe you don't actually know what canon means, it means not the shit you make up in your head.

Well, this is a lore thread not a canon thread.

Similarly, nobody ever said ESO wasn't canon, what they did say was that ESO doesn't affect development of TES6.

A symbol that ain't shit.

Yeah, I fucking said it.