Dark Eldar in 8th

Lets talk Dark Eldar in 8th edition: Specifically, lets talk about starting up Dark Eldar armies. What are some essentials to pick up? What is the best way to play this army?

Other urls found in this thread:

gowarhead.com/p/hammering-warpath.html
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm curious too I got the start collecting box and the gangs game. Wondering if I can make a decent starter list with it. Also got a death jester and a harlequin trope because they were 15$ together at a lgs fire sale.

Also 5 wyches because they were cheap but I figure fielding just five may be a mistake.

So I see horde armors are a thing now. Given this, is it a good idea to run a wing of venoms with dual shiriken cannons? That's 400 pts by themselves and am wondering if I'm not being too paranoid.

So I had done a couple Drukhari general's previously, and I was a big proponent of not taking large squads of things, mainly because since DE are so fragile, a good round of shooting can fuck over a large squad, but less so 2 smaller squads. And large squads tend to get fucked with morale.

Well after having actually had a chance to play 8e, I have to say I am leaning again toward larger squads, on some things.

Melee units, like talos, grotesques, hellions, wyches, and wracks, you want larger squads, and the reason for that is with the AoS style combat order.

I just think it would have been better for me if I had run like 3 talos in one squad than 3 separate squads because they would have all gone at once.

It's interesting to learn the game all over again.

Nice so you run covens? Any hard match ups? Who'd you play against primarily?

>Incubi and mandrakes don't share the , , or keywords

What did they mean by this?

Are mandrakes not shit yet?

Covens isn't strong right now, not without a covens codex like we had in 7th. It's like running covens only but using the core DE codex. It just doesn't synergize that well and is missing strengths.

I can tell you good matchups vs bad matchups in 7e, but that's moot. I have only had 1 game of 8e so far with my brother who runs orks. He usually likes to do dread mob (which I am predicting would be a bad match up), but this time he ran a standard combined arms type ork list.

We only got a few turns in because we were taking our time and the store was closing. But I like what I played of 8 so far. I do think DE are in a much better position than they were in 7e, not necessarily because of the buffs we got in the index, but moreso from the core game changing to favor some of the things DE relied on. Orks definitely got better. Mob rule pretty much nearly guaranteed he would never lose boys to a morale test.

The cronos is a complete piece of shit. Not worth taking any more, but I like all the rest of my covens stuff.

Bumps for the dark city! Anyone got cool lore for their dudes? I figure I'll let my first few games decide where my dudes are story wise.

Ive posted this before, but I am going to do it again. I'm pretty damn proud of it. My brother did a great job illustrating it.

mandrakes are actually really good now... one of the best performing units in the last couple of games I've played in 8th so far. A squad of 5 deepstrikes in and can delete any small unit/character they manage to shoot at because of the free mortal wounds. Then they can charge into a larger unit with 3 st 4 attacks apiece, w/ rerolls on the 9 in charge if ya save them till turn 2.

Thats awesome worked it onto any models yet? Pics of your dudes?

Sweet I'd avoided them forever because I always heard they were shit.

I'll show them when i finish the comic

Thanks man Dark eldar need more stories you and your brother are doing gods work! (Which God is debatable)

8", WS/BS3+, S4,A2(effectively 3), 5++, deep strike. Ranged weapon is 18", S4, assault 2, rolls of 6 add a mortal wound. But they cost 19pts/model.

So, overcosted. Once again.

Well until this edition they were complete trash. But now since they can deal mortal wounds, charge on deepstrike and -1 to shoot them they've gotten so much better. The only problem for me at this point is that GW is out of them online and noone re-casts them.

Comic end. Army next

Ahh hope they make more then. They were cool as fuck in path of the Archon and the ones before it.

Skaven AND dark eldar perfect.

Thanks man, I can't take all the credit. I have always wanted to do skaven somehow in 40k, and i originally thought of kroot, but then i stumbled on this blog post which gave me the idea to run them as dark eldar
gowarhead.com/p/hammering-warpath.html

I took some of their ideas and ran with it further. I got the idea of a haemonculus who was abandoned and went insane through isolation and no normal DE restoration devices. So he started to use local creatures and uplifted them to be his new playthings.

It's a combination of mantic veermyn, skaven, and dark eldar bits, mostly the guns. I wanted wysiwyg at least for guns because I took these guys to a tournament.

I hope you won best painted, man. These guys are impressive.

I did

>tfw Archons will NEVER be able to get a jetbike
Is there a fucking reason for this?

I just want to make an army that's almost all jetbikes, because I've loved how they look ever since they came out. I even came up with a simple background for them, where they were a clan from the Saim Hann craftworld, that basically fell in with the wrong crowd while being Corsairs, and turned into Dark Eldar over time, so now they operate as a Kabal.

Ya know, your comic made me realize that the Dark Eldar are more like Skaven than Dark Elves.

Damn. That's impressive.

>he thinks 24 shots with a 50% chance to wound will make a dent into 30 boyz or 50 conscripts

A wing is 5. 120 shots. Nice to see anons are as illiterate as ever. But yeah, that seems like a pretty big point sink and you may be better off throwing wyches at blobs to stop them from moving on the objective.

My lore was heavily inspired by the random kabal chart. The Succubus to my wych cult is a shadow Archon to a kabal she uses as a front. The biggest power play she made was stacking a bet in her favor by raising the pot against her own fake Archon in order to acquire a shipping/dock yard that is manufactures aircraft. The hellions and Reavers use the yard as a training ground which also serves as guard patrol. A flock of hired scourges also keep watch in the area when the Reavers and hellions aren't present.

The shipyard gives the Archon access to plenty of raiders for Realspace engagements, but also bombers and fighters for shock tactics. These of course also do wonders for dealing rival kabals.

>120 shots
>80 hits
>40 wounds
>26.66 unsaved

Congratulations. You've spent 475 points killing half of a squad of 3pt conscripts conscripts without cover. However, it does mathematically kill a unit of boyz without cover. Dark eldar are actually fairly terrible at killing conscripts because we only wound them on a 4+, which is worse than everyone else.

>Rolls 2d6+26-4 to see how many of your conscripts run away

Unless of course you've put a commisar with them, but if you're investing in enough commisars to protect all of your conscript tarpits, then you're investing a lot more points, AND you're much more vulnerable to sniper fire.

Skaven 40k? Not a bad way to add them in.

A commissar is 30pts, dude. You're spending nearly 500 points to kill 78pts worth of models.