Thoughts on Barbarians?

Thoughts on Barbarians?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/m555wbs905jb00z/Strike! Core Rulebook.pdf
funin.space/compendium/paragonpath/Dragonfoe-Ragespell.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Everyone who plays a barbarian has far less than average intelligence..

Why tho?

Kinda redundant, in most systems they'd have been better off just being a type of Fighter than their own class. Yeah, they usually get some kind of "survivalist" flavor, but THAT is usually done better by whatever the Ranger-type class is.

Just swap out a feature from Fighter or Ranger for your typical Barbarian Rage feature and save yourself the effort of making it an entirely separate class.

In D&D the Rage feature should be a feat that becomes a class ability for others to use and opens other options for them I hate the fact they are shoe horned into being loincloth wearing dummies who have a tenuous connection to nature through their rage

So, I've never played a Barbo, but theyes seem one dimensional.

However, I've always wanted to play a "Noble" Barbarian, who's a rich guy who never wears armor, just fancy rich clothes and he has a horrible anger problem.

Because people need a dump stat and it's a classic trope. Big dumb guy be strong. Also barbarians are supposed to not be "civilized" like those belonging to greater civilizations.
It makes perfect sense this might be because they lack the intelligence to achieve such a society. So barbarians are also just labelled as dumb.

Personally if I'm gonna play a strong smart guy, I don't pick a barbarian. I play a fighter that wears nice armor, has a well forged weapon, and roleplay like a tactician or general or some shit.

fun as fuck. especially in 5e.

Talos bless Bear Totem.

It's nice playing a high WIS Barbarian though.

I usually dump Charisma. Let the Bard talk to nobles, and the only ladies I'll be flirting with are the kind I'd have to beat in a fight first anyway.

For me, a lot of the fun of playing barbarians is that you get to be a stranger in a strange land. It's great fun to bumble around flouting social mores and making a scene, mouthing off to the city guards and such.
>this guy comes up to your party in the inn and slaps your healer's ass, what do?

I love reading the old Conan stories from Howard, especially the ones set in the Arabian inspired kingdoms.

Like you said, there's something charming about guy who sticks out like sore thumb due to being the human equivalent of an Abrams tank. Just imagining him wandering through a bazaar towering over everyone in sight

I also liked that, while Conan was conventionally intelligent, he wasn't exceedingly clever and didn't rely on guile to save him. Usually just due to his immense strength and combat pragmatism.

>super clean
>well groomed hair and beard
>dressed super well
>literally carrying a fashionable purse
>barbarian
WOW really made me think

>fun
>non 4e D&D/AD&D martials
How? People un ironically enjoy that abrassivr lack of options?

Tied with paladins and maybe monks for coolest class.

Some people are more into the acting aspect of roleplaying than the tactics and mechanics side of things. 4E was a beautiful system mechanically, but those same mechanics made it kinda videogamey and fighting felt like "MMO combat" rather than being leaving so much to the imagination.

Sorcerer-bloodline barbarians/eldritch knights when?

Yeah buddy you go act the shit of spamming full attack on a combat based system.

>2017
>retards still dont grasp the issue with D&D combat
>inb4 stormwind fallacy

It's the 5e PHB example barbarian. I guess they were trying to tell people that stereotypes are bullshit.

Vikings were pretty well groomed mate, just saying

Or they're just going full nordic with the idea

The old norse were notoriously vain after all

DnD combat has alot of issues besides the "spam full attack" thing, but to be honest you can raise issues with ANY combat-based RPG. There isn't a game in existence that does combat in a realistic or satisfying way without becoming a bogged down mess of autism and number crunching. I'll pass on systems where a single fight takes an hour and a half, thanks.

>In b4 you were just parroting the whole "DnD sucks" meme anyway. Especially not knowing Full-Round attack isn't even a thing anymore.

>non roman citizen

Okay what can I do as a barbarian or non caster non superiority dice having martial in combat other than "move and hit the guy" that isnt "dm may I?" Or basically useless if I disnt spect for it?

Not that guy but hate to break it to you, the entire hobby of ROLEPLAYING is "DM may I". It was only 3.5/Pathfinder that started this cancerous trend of needing rules for fucking everything. Prior to that, you were SUPPOSED to make stuff up on the spot and get bonuses or penalties for it based on DM judgement. The DM was even called a "referee" in some of the old school books.

If you want to crunch numbers and be limited by pre-defined rules, go play a videogame. Or name a game that still gives you lots of options and ISN'T either "DM may I?" or "Magic shits on the rules and bypasses everything".

>Oh shit, I don't actually have a counter-argument, time to strawman!

Well, this conversation ended fast.

Okay buddy thanks for proving your deep D&D caused brain rot. Go along and play pbta after your D&D session of neurone killing gameplay.

Here is your (you).

It's also "neuron" not "neurone". But yeah, I'm the one with brain rot. You've got some good debate skills, really. Nice handle on logic and sensible counter-arguments.

You have good taste friend, you should look into OSR stuff (Old School Renaissance). You'll never want to go back to 3.pf ever again. Hell, you'll never even want to go back to 5e.

>There isn't a game in existence that does combat in a realistic or satisfying way without becoming a bogged down mess of autism and number crunching. I'll pass on systems where a single fight takes an hour and a half, thanks.

May I introduce you to Strike!, perhaps?

All of the fun of 4e combat, without any of the number crunching (...so I guess almost all of the fun of 4e combat, if you actually like number crunching).

>8 INT
I mean, it's not FAR below average, but he is a simple man.

Is it supposed to only be 7 pages? Like, I'm interested, but I'm not gonna shill out for some patreon project that's never going to be completed.

That's just a pitch. The book is like 200 pages.

I got a PDF link here: mediafire.com/file/m555wbs905jb00z/Strike! Core Rulebook.pdf

200 looks like a lot, but like 120 of those is variant rules.

Also, have a playtest for expansion classes.

200 isn't alot, DnD's rulebooks are usually 300+. Thanks.

In the crotch maybe

No prob.

Fair warning: the book is amateur as shit, and combat is the most detailed part of it by far (you may be better off starting there instead of chewing your way through the 90 pages of the non-combat system and variant rules before it).

Most people I know disliked the way it is written. It really needs an editor and probably like 2 more editions before it really comes into its own.

>He doesn't know about the usage of butter as a hair product

They can't into greek

Go from playable to actually good in most editions, unlike poor monks

Your arguments are that non-D&D combat is too hard.

Which is not even true in eviiiiil nazi crunch system like GURPS as long you dont have D&D brainrot. The extra time comes from having more options than "fullattacklol".

>only argument is nitpicking typos and saying non-D&D is too hard
>accuses others of no arguments
Again; I do not DM D&D and I have strict D&D player ban on my games by just not running D&D which has sky rocketed the quality of any game I play or DM.

But keep enjoying your disonant rules light combat oriented game and not grasping the issues buddy.

STOP USING BARBARIAN AS A CLASS

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

Fun but shit in 3.5, more fun but more shit in PF, super fun and slightly subpar in 4e, and not fun but not shit in 5e

Also shit and not fun in 13th Age, and generally fun in most RPG video games

>There isn't a game in existence that does combat in a realistic or satisfying way without becoming a bogged down mess of autism and number crunching.
Well if your only point of reference is D&D, of course you're going to fucking think that way.

Even then, the combat only really sucks in 3.PF and 5e because a) most attacks don't deal enough damage to chew through the AC that most characters can have in the later levels and b) mages can bypass the bullshit by design with only one use of their spells, which is not only just as fast as an attack but also auto-succeeds, with the challenge being on the targets being able to resist the effects, assuming they even can roll a saving throw in the first place.

Ancestor Guardian Barbarian is about as close to a 4e Defender as you can come, with Bear Totem Barbarian and Protection Cleric close behind.

Stone Sorc is probably the best, and they all still can't do anything against allies getting fireball'd without the mage slayer feat.

>but also auto-succeeds, with the challenge being on the targets being able to resist the effects, assuming they even can roll a saving throw in the first place.

To be fair, this is mostly just an illusion. It's really just fluff who rolls the dice, EXCEPT that 5e went with a wording that doesn't consider spells attacks so defender-like features don't work.

That's actually a pretty decent idea I might have to steal. Barbarians are always my favorite to play and outside of the fluff there's really no reason you couldn't just play a Barbarian as any unarmored guy who just gets really pissed off

I like them a bit closer to mr Hyde without the chemical thing. so they can be normal dudes but with the right stimulus they lose their shit completely

One of the most fun characters I ever played was when I spoke to our GM before we started a campaign and everyone thought I was bringing some "That Guy" homebrew class along. For all intents and purposes, they thought I was a wizard with a heavy blood-magic vibe and a cursed greatsword that I kept wrapped up in cloth.

When combat would start, I would usually spend a turn chanting, cutting my palms and smearing blood onto the blade of my weapon. I would hand blank cards to the GM stating I was casting the spell on the note. The paladin had me on mega-high-alert and considered himself my probation officer which led to some fantastic roleplay. If they handed me notes IC, I would pretend they were not worthy of my time and throw them away.

It took an entire campaign for these guys to realise I was a plain ol' barb, who was entirely unable to read and desperately trying to live up to his childhood dream of becoming magical.

Barbs also are much more reliant on three core stats than the usual one or two.

>Fun but shit in 3.5, more fun but more shit in PF
Martially speaking they're top tier. In 3.5 I made at 12th level a 52 Str Barb. In PF I made a dude who had 6 attacks at full BaB before reaching 6th level.

The problem is the best case scenario casters outclass you at 10th level.

>the entire hobby of ROLEPLAYING is "DM may I".
unless you cast spells

Been reading on the Andronovo Culture, purely because I thought the art portraying them is awesome.

Whoever was that celt who came up with maille, he was a fucking genius.

Barbarians need someone getting rich off the amber, gold and fur trade. That's you. Perhaps make that a "between-adventures" thing, using the "running a business" table modified for greater chances of money but also risks, including pirates/bandits.

I played a crocofolk with 13 Int. Made it so he seemed dumb, because he had no idea how civilized people did things, but was willing to learn so he could belong to a place. Never tired of seeing folks getting very surprised with how fast he grasped the local politics and became leader of a village.

>Can I eat him?
>What? No! We don't eat people here, even if they tried to rob us.
>Okay. And how about kobolds?
>Oh, that's fine.

All signs of a sucessfull celt merchant selling the soap invented by his tribe.

Thaneblood Barbarian in 4e. They had lots of abilities that keyed off Charisma.

Barbarians fall into that weird non-class class group together with Paladin and Druid. Mechanically, they're just "special" types of fighters/wizards. However, my gripe with those classes is that they're restrictive. Both because of their mechanics (can't very well play a cool-headed barbarian with those rage powers, now can you?) and their tropes.

A fighter can be anything from a farmer to a king. A barbarian is almost always part of a tribe/clan. A paladin is always a pious. A druid is often about peaceful conflict resolution. It feels like madlibs RP, like parts of your background is already filled in and you have to fill in the blanks.

>Tomboyish brown musclegirls who walk around barefoot, fight with their bare fists, don't understand why cityfolk are so obsessed with covering up every inch of their bodies, are extremely blunt and straightforward when communicating but all in all an amicable people who make loyal friends and tender lovers
I need this in my life.

>Sorcerer-bloodline barbarians/eldritch knights when?

Last edition.

funin.space/compendium/paragonpath/Dragonfoe-Ragespell.html

>can't very well play a cool-headed barbarian with those rage powers, now can you?

Take a peace loving, hard working farmer. Let him encounter a hag that curses him with rage. Bam. Cool-headed Barbarian that flips his shit whenever there's a fight. Like the Hulk.

I'm currently playing a Noble barbarian in a 5e campaign, with the ancestral guardian archetype. He is the descendant of a family of warriors who have become more focused on politics and influence over generations, and essentially some ghosts of his ancestors awoke his inner rage and told him to get out there and make a name for himself and his family, its been a pretty fun character so far.

OP's pic made me think of an idea for a small kingdom of merchants, businessmen and diplomats living in a breezy, wide and open plains, a far cry from the rugged survivalist warrior tribe they are descended from, who literally carved and cut the land itself to their needs. They are a thoroughly civilized, settled culture but obsess over their ancient warrior heritage, middle and noble classes often adorned in finely tailored 'barbaric' clothing made of leathers, fur trimming, well-treated animal skins and expensive linens and cottons. Their clothing is certainly influenced by some neighbouring foreign fashions, always finds itself altered to express the national pride and nostalgia for their rugged ancestors. Ceremonial weapons are often carried, totally for show and rarely actually usable, many axes and swords. They keep many traditions of old alive, mead and feasting halls both for every day use, minor and major occasions exist everywhere - they tend to keep halls instead of pubs or inns. There are shows of combat, highly ritualized over time and range from small local events to regional ones. But despite their cultural obsession, they are not a martial people and their army, while well equipped, aren't terribly well renowned or anything.

Ranger should just be a Warrior too