Healing

more specificly, the availability and effectivity of healing methods you use within your campaign.

It's a delicate process of acquiring Good Boy Points (GBP) and spending them on Chicken Nuggets, which in the divine tongue are known as Nuggies.

I recover hit point from reading terrible threads. Thanks bro.

At least formulate a full sentence, you absolute pleb.

Rather than using flat health regen from healing items, I use differing qualities for differing severities of wounds. For instance, if you're on your last Lifeblood (playing barbarians of lemuria) a simple healing salve from the village elder isnt going to cut it, but some kind of powerful alchemical preparation should.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE CHICKEN DIPPERS

>not nuggers

My campaign mimics video game mechanics, so you fully heal whenever you rest. The PCs don't know how or why, just that it's very useful. It also only applies to them. There is basically no magic instant healing, only the gods' miracles could do that (and the gods don't care enough for that).

dnd 5e, I allow players to spend hit dice equal to 1/2 their level on a short rest, and spend as many as they like on a long rest. When they long rest, players regain half their hit dice. Also, spending hit dice requires a healers kit and someone who can use it.

Damage from critical hits and damage past 0 hit points have the character's hit point maximum reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken.

I dislike instant healing items/spells/abillities, since it tend to trivialize danger to a certain degree. That said, it's no fun to have your PC be unable to participate properly for several in-game weeks because of an unlucky roll, so some form of accelerated healing should be included. I like to go with all healing being in the form of regeneration over time and/or come with side effects.

Healing magic is limited and can only temporarily restore vitality and superficially close wounds to allow people to fight for longer. Truly healing major wounds still takes time, regardless of using magic or mundane means

chugging herbs/health potions/drugs/painkillers just like in real life
also resting can help regain hitpoints.

I always have interpreted hit points as vitality aka how healthy the characters *feel*

so in rp they lose hitpoints by acquiring more cuts/scrapes/bruises until they pass out from being debilitated with pain/low blood pressure/trauma

if they are mortally wounded then that should work completely differently.
however, in the name of heroic adventure narratives, this happens very rarely and depends on the kind injury sustained.

Ideally the characters have easy access to medicines and such for healing. This way the pace of the story is not slowed down by week long rests after a few botched rolls/enemy crits

I think a lot of DM's forget that they are working with the players and aren't supposed to always be playing against them. Though I guess that also depends on the attitude and play style of your group. Like if your players want a real challenge, then I get it, but it seems almost too common to hear stories from DM's on here who get off to punishing their players as opposed to crafting a cooperative narrative/storytelling experience that is interesting and fun

>not Legal Tendies

Lame
Better than nothing, I appreciate the effort.
Permanently?

powerful enough to bring a character back into combat shape, but with a temporary penalty. Best used for hit-and-run tactics

i didnt know i was supposed to stir up some argument about ideologies

5e rules-as-written. There's so many different ways to do so many things that are somewhat similar but differ in key ways. The mere fact that the spell that cures a disease doesn't tell you anything about it, but the methods that do tell you about it don't necessarily offer any cures alone already makes it a richer system than most other games I've run.

GURPS raw, semirealistic setting with some magic.
Most people heal a hp a day with a health check
Some Beastmen/ogres/etc. Have access to regeneration and fast healing, usually vulnerable to fire or silver
Some magic can tap into healing self/others spending FP for HP
Pretty low occurrence of all the exotic stuff.

>5E, a rich system
No

I haven't decided what organizations actually do it, but healing magic is something totally separate from the magic system in my game. I've removed the cleric class, and the sole magic using group class has a few spells that can prevent damage or let someone fight on (fill their wound with magic clay) as though they were unharmed, but only temporarily with no permanent healing.

This way, damage is actually important.

As for the actual healing itself, I do want magic healing to be a thing but I'm not sure how to do it. Maybe magic healing fountains, or sap from magic trees to explain where some healing potions comes from? Or it could be a religious or church based thing, just without playable clerics.

I've been tossing around an idea in my head for a setting where health potions/cure spells aren't capable of instantly mending bone and replacing gallons of lost blood, but merely serve as magical stand-ins for advanced modern medical technology (perhaps working faster depending on the skill of the alchemist/healer who created the potion/spell).

Slathering some potion on a wound will sterilize it and accelerate the natural healing process, and pouring one down a dying patient's throat will stabilize him temporarily. But if you've got an arrowhead stuck in your gut, you still need a surgeon to pull it out. If blood is spurting from a severed artery, get a tourniquet ready because only the most powerful healing magic would be able to mend that in time to stop you from bleeding out.

Basically imagine a modern medical drama like House except all the space-age technology is replaced with varying forms of "it works because magic". There isn't just one all-purpose "Cure Disease" spell (except perhaps in the realm of epic-level divine magic); instead there's an entire suite of spells that boost the immune system, or kill certain pathogens, or emulate certain drugs. Need a respirator? There's a spell for that. Somebody slashed open your gut with a battleaxe, you need more than a healing potion--you need a surgeon wearing Gloves of Steady Hands to quickly stitch you up. Cure Wounds spells merely accelerate what the body can do on its own.