Kamigakari Thread

Mononoke Homebrew Edition!

Here is a mostly comprehensive guide to Mononoke creation. IT goes through everything but materials, but the main books rules for materials are way better than anything i could homebrew up.

pastebin.com/sLtd2ZMp

On top of this, i've got a bunch of mononoke to unload from last thread, and a bonus one for Dork in the shell guy. Please wait warmly.

Baseline stuff
mediafire.com/file/183vmgy8b3w1uj3/Kamigakari.rar

Expansions and errata
pastebin.com/u/RoyalTeaRed

Google Docs Character sheet (for if you play online)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xY5uiJleOpnlh93SGLq2_iKteOFZnlMH1X-MtEDsWsw/edit#gid=0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ydNf0UD7jfQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First off, the ever popular spider tanks, Tachikomas

>Tachikoma/Class: Mechanical/Lv 5
>Size: 4
>Wits: High
>Senses: Heat
>Speech: yes
>Reaction: Friendly
>ID: 15
>Weakness: [Magnet]
>Movement: Walk

>| ACC | EVA | CNJ | RES | CHK
>{Combat Stats} | 10 | 9 | 2 | 9 | 1
>{Fixed Values} | 17 | 16 | 9 | 16 | 8

>Initiative: 16(6)
>HP: 76
>Armor: 10
>Barrier: 4

>[Weapon Attack] : Ranged Attack / 10 Sq. / 1#
>- [Form: Ranged] 4d6+16 physical damage to the target.

>«Spider tank»: Constant / User / User
>-User can make Ranged attacks after a combat move

>«Spider tank 2»: Constant / User / User
>-User ignores obstacle in 1 square for the purpose of movement

>«50mm Grenade launcher»: Attack / 7Sq / Area
>->- [Form: Ranged] 3d6+16 physical damage to the target.

>«Apprehend the criminal!»: Attack / Engaged / 1#
>- [Form: Unarmed]Grabs the target causing [Shift:Paralysis]

I went somewhat simple on this one. Nothing terribly out of the ordinary. Mostly similar to a regular tank, with some better mobility.

And the Dork

>Nanakorobi Nene/ Class: Mechanical/ Lv 1
>Size: 2
>Wits: Clever
>Senses: Normal
>Speech: yes
>Id: 10
>Movement: Walk

>{Combat Stats} | 3 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 7
>{Fixed Values} | 10 | 9 | 9 | 13 | 14

>Initiative: 7(3)
>HP: 30
>Armor: 0
>Barrier: 0

>[Weapon Attack] : Physical Attack / Engaged / 1#
>- [Form: Unarmed] 2d6+5 physical damage to the target.

>«Pandora Device, Open!»: Start / User / User
>-Users Stats change drastically. Lvl Goes to 5 and all combat stats go up to 8.
>Weapon Attack changes to [Form: ranged] 10 Sq, 2d6+10 damage. Must be engaged with Clarion To use. Lasts until combat end

>«Decode, Elpis series!»: Constant / User / User
>- User Gains an extra +2 to any one combat stat for the duration of «Pandora Device, Open!». Cannot be changed after initial choice until next use of «Pandora Device, Open!»

>«Hacking» Magical Attack/ 10 Sq/ 1#
>- User can Take control of most Mechanical Mononoke During «Pandora Device, Open!»

This one hinges on the next one i'll post here. Overall really simple, but with a couple changes she could be very powerful.

And the Bonus one to go with Nene

>Clarion/ Class: Mechanical/ Lv 5
>Size:2
>Senses: Heat
>Speech: Yes
>Reaction: Neutral
>Id: 12
>Weakness: [Magnet][Fire]

>{Combat Stats} | 11 | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4
>{Fixed Values} | 18 | 17 | 10 | 10 | 11

>Initiative: 15(5)
>HP: 73
>Armor: 8
>Barrier: 5

>- [Form: Sword] 2d6+15 physical damage to the target.

>«Tactical Knives» Constant/ User/ User
>-User Gains 1x Timing Attack when Using [Weapon Attack]. This can only be used with [Weapon Attack]

>«High Mobility» Constant/ User/ User
>-If user makes a full move, They can make [Weapon Attacks] with no penalty

>«Pandora Device, Open!» Constant/ User/ User
>- Allows Nanakorobi Nene to activate the skill of the same name

>«Don't touch my ears!» Constant/ User/ User
>- If someone has touched clarions ears besides Nanakorobi Nene, Clarion can make a Free single weapon attack. This Attack does not Activate «Tactical Knives»

Focus's on speed and weapon attacks. Pretty strong overall, but not a lot of variety in her skillset.

Woops, forgot the picture with this one

Next up, going in the completely opposite direction, Slendy!

>Slenderman/ Class: Chaos/ Lv 5
>Size:2
>Senses: Magic
>Speech: No
>Reaction: Hostile
>Id: 12

>{Combat Stats} | 5 | 11 | 4 | 11 | 4
>{Fixed Values} | 12 | 18 | 11 | 18 | 11

>Initiative: 16(6)
>HP: 73
>Armor: 8
>Barrier: 5

>- [Form: Sword] 2d6+9 physical damage to the target.

>«He's behind you» Constant/ User/ User
>-Can install into any square so long as its out of line of sight of an enemy (requires homebrew LoS rules)

>«Vectors» Physical Attack/ 7sq/ 4#
>- [Form: Unarmed] User makes an ACC check opposed by the targets INS

Really simple, but simple is strong. Most players won't have the INS to consistently avoid his attacks

And lastly but not least, for the guy who wanted this girl from blue exorcist.

>Izumo Kamiki/ Class: Humanoid/ lvl 3
>wits: clever
>ID: 8
>Weakness: [Phantom] [Fire]

>{Combat Stats} | 5 | 3 | 9 | 9 | 4
>{Fixed Values} | 12 | 10 | 16 | 16 | 11

>Izumo Kamiki/ Class: Humanoid/ lvl 3
>wits: clever
>ID: 8
>Weakness: [Phantom] [Fire]

>{Combat Stats} | 5 | 3 | 9 | 9 | 4
>{Fixed Values} | 12 | 10 | 16 | 16 | 11

>HP: 40
>Initiative: 8(4)
>Barrier: 4

>[Weapon Attack] : Magic Attack / 10 Sq. / 1# / Resist Halves
>- [Form: Magic] 2d6+14 physical damage to the target.

>«Contract Summon» Start/ User/ User
>-Summons two Kitsune of Level 5. CNJ of the summoned creature Increases to 11

>«Strengthen Summon» Prep/ 10sq/ #2
>-Adds +2 to any one check made by the summoned Kitsune

Once again, Pretty simple, but its more because she doesn't have a lot of skills on her own (to my knowledge) than anything else

Fuckin

Once again, i'll shop in the picture in the image.

Sup my kamigakari bros, I have a question for you. How would you stat out pic related as a PC? Is it possible out of the box, or would it need some homebrew?

(Explanation for those who don't know where he comes from: Sorey, the character in the pic, is accompanied by a bunch of otherworldly people called Seraphim, with whom he can perform a wacky fusion called Armatization, a la DBZ but without a time limit. What I want to do is make a character who fuses and defuses with an ally in combat, gaining different sets of abilities depending on if he's separate from his ally or not. The important bit is that there's gotta be a reason to defuse besides flavor points - in the game he's from, every character has their own personal moveset and each fusion is likewise unique, so you fuse and defuse depending on your needs.)

Well, you could fluff a Dragon carrier to work like that.

Not a lot of homebrew at all. None of it mechanical.

Dragon Carrier A would be offensive, B would be defensive. Just fluff it to be his spirit fusion whatever.

Its wholly just refluffing.

There's exactly zero reason to dismiss the fusion though, which is part of what makes the concept interesting to me. Last I checked, Dragon Carriers don't have any incentive to turn off their crystal transformations, do they?

Yeah the one set of concepts commonly seen in anime that Kami doesn't do much with is fusion, alas.

Not really, no.

Like KA said, thats one of the few things Kamigakari doesn't do.

Would it be particularly broken if Contractor B got a set of powers made for it that allowed the PC to combine with their Mononoke? That'd probably duplicate the concept of fusion (or at least THIS particular concept) fairly smoothly I think.

Contractor B is already stupid strong.

No it isn't, don't be that guy. Also, the majority of why people say its broken is because it represents an extra set of actions, which fusing counteracts

I can't see it being particularly broken, but you'd need to change a fair amount of how contractor B works.

I'm not sure. The main benefit of Contractor B is it gives you essentially an extra set of Talents and Timings to use them. This sounds like it'd just be giving PCs Mononoke Talents? Which is OK too. It just seems like maybe the realm of a homebrew Style instead, I think?

Like, the Auto ability could be something that benefits you only when you aren't fused, but still relies on the number of fusions you have available perhaps? Then the Talents aside from that could grant certain benefits from certain Mononoke... maybe?

I'm shit at design/homebrew, it's why I just translate.

Can you explain to me what you think needs changing? I think I can see it but would like to hear a second opinion just in case I missed something.

Re: gaining the talents of a Mononoke, 'maaaaaybe'. It might be a good way to represent the fusion or it might not, not sure yet - I think this homebrew is gonna require a lot of digging at like, base system mechanics to make it not broken as fuck.

For reference, since a text description isn't really illustrative, this video's probably illustrative:

youtube.com/watch?v=ydNf0UD7jfQ

The characters are all fighting solo through most of the video so you get a look at their movesets, then at like 2:20 you get to see how the MC styles on the enemy and then fuses with an ally...and his moveset totally alters into something else. That'd be kinda the goal here - not so much stat boosts as 'do things neither of you could do alone'.

well, the largest issue is that the talents for contractor all work on the contracted mononoke. Fusing with it would get rid of the mononoke as a unit, and make those talents Defunct.

Right, makes sense. You'd have to buy a talent that says 'while Fused, you count as your Mononoke for the purpose of talents that affect it'.

(The question then becomes if this is a kosher thing to grant to a character, because getting a walking pile of stats who could solo entire fights is so not the goal here.)

I would compare each of the contractors talents to the ones that normally work for player characters. and see how they stack up.

I can't imagine they are too strong, but they might be slightly higher than average.

Hey. Can someone help clear up something for me? I'm a little confused by the Humanoid Mononoke entries. Because many of them are just humans with shards. But wouldn't that make them god hunters and not mononoke?

Mononoke is a bit of a weird term because it's used to mean both "non-human entities that gain a soul and a Shard" and the list of enemies in the book, which indeed can be just humans.

Usually the difference in the book is and [Mononoke]. The former is "any non-human entity with a shard" and the latter is the enemy list. One's a proper noun, the other's a game term. If it's still confusing for you, you can use what Rikizou uses in Sacreed Dragoon for the enemy list which is Critters. (So, the proper noun stays Mononoke and the game term becomes Critters).

Honestly, the amount of them that are plain humans are actually not as many as that user made it out to be. In the base book, only 2 of them are. The others are mostly humanoid youkai, and the first one is shard prisoner which i'd hardly call a god hunter.

I'm talking about purely Humanoid-type Mononoke. Shard prisoners are humans who have come into contact with shards. Same with Special Bodyguards, Magical Girls, Hinoenma, Oni, and Demon Hunters. Only Suiko are actually mononoke in the more traditional sense.

That makes some sense. but I do wish they had been a bit more clear with the terminology.

He did it, the madman

shard prisoners specifically are ones that have been overcome by shards. They are less humanoid mononoke, and more puppets for the shard

Hinoenma and oni are both outright youkai.

I'll give you the other 3 though.

you're damn right i did. You're also damn right i'm a madman.

So what kinda mononoke are you guys making?

So how goes the translation revision progress?

Thats a good question

Not really retranslating anything, unless it's a crappy passage and I need to remember what it says. I'm mostly just rewriting some parts and giving it a shiny coat of paint.

Prolouge -- Entirely rewritten, finished.
World Section -- Parts rewritten, finished.
GM Section (not including data) -- Mostly just picked out some changes to terms I'm making (like making 'Covenant of Souls' consistent throughout the document, making leyline lowercase, boring shit like that). Finished.
Rules Section -- Not Finished.
Player Section -- Not Finished.
Data -- Not Finished.

My intent is to do a full rewrite of the rules section to explain things more clearly all over the place. Then I'm going to be editing the data over again, making fixes and all that. Then I'll rewrite the Player Section.

Then... layout! And then done. And then Requiem!

Oh yeah, one user was wondering if you could add numbered pages and a ToC to the book for printing out. Something about not being able to look at the pdf for long periods.

Yes please! Table of Contents and page numbers!

Yeah, i can see that being somewhat useful if you don't have the bookmarks.

Did you plan to do the Cthulhu stuff after the requiem PDF?

I know one user specifically was super excited for that.

Yeah that's fine.

Probably not. Damocles and Chronos are more valuable to translate first, since they have setting info and new rules and stuff. Mythos is mostly just a replay, then some data.

Fair enough then. If i knew anything about japanese i'd try to translate the mononoke at least, but i can't read moonrunes.

Here's an image i found interesting in another thread. I dunno if its actually from something or not, but i figure it might give people some good idea's if nothing else

How easy is this to GM?
I doubt I'll find a group on my own.

Its pretty easy to GM.

Social stuff is mostly free-form, there's a complete guide for setting up each episode, and we've even figured out how to homebrew up monsters. Each monster's only got a handful of skills, and with talents and such you can customize as you please, or just use the basic.

Its really simple. There's some more complicated stuff that gets added in the expansions like sanctums, but these can be safely ignored till you understand the base game.

Once your players learn the system it's actually shockingly easy. The only way I could see it being a headache is if your group is too boneheaded to keep track of their spirit die.

Other than that, it's very simple.

the biggest thing to remember in kamigakari is that fluff can and is encouraged to be overwritten if you can think of something cooler that doesn't change anything mechanically.

Rule of cool is very important.

Rule of cool should almos always be king

Wait, how much damage does poison cause?

I am still taking requests, despite making the guidelines public. If people wanna ask me to make shit, i'm cool with that.

Only rule is one singular being at a time. Just telling me series' would get annoying.

Unless you are doing like, a god eater campaign and you know you will use a bunch of them. In that case, i'd be happy to help out by making a few of the base creatures.

Excellent creation rules and I enjoyed the new Mononoke. Just been tied up with life too much to post appreciation. I'll make some requests later!

I had a DM friend of mine give em a once over just to be sure there wasn't anything blatantly wrong, so good to get some 3rd party opinions.

Glad i did a good job.

Over thirty years of gaming experience says you did fine with the math, stat ranges and even the estimation suggestions. The best way to test it out is with table play and I didn't run simulated battles yet.

One question that probably won't matter to most people or in most games, but how does a Godhunter vs. Godhunter combat run? I realize usually games would be GH vs. [Mononoke], but it could happen.

Is a GM expected to stat using [Mononoke]/Enemy data rules always or does the game simplicity when its standard statted Godhunter vs. Godhunter?

Those kinda questions would help when working out Fusion rules like those discussed above and when running mock simulated combats to test builds.

Has Rikozou mentioned that kinda thing at all in other supplements or Roll&Roll articles or anything?

Well, i didn't do anything about godhunters because the main book actually does have guidelines for that. Its in the NPC creation part.

Check those out real quick and see how those work

If you wanna post a senran, at least post best senran.

But those are my four favorite Senran's.

>four

What? we only posted 2

He did post best senran though

Yozakura is high tier, but daidouji is best.

Rather, banchou characters are unilaterally best character, except in the case of jojo's bizarre adventure.

i get it. I also feel stupid.

I hope this doesn't come across as needy, since I think we all greatly appreciate what you've done so far. But is it your intent to eventually translate everything?

Good news is that yes, I totally do intend on translating everything.

Bad news is that will take me 2-3 years, even if they don't put more books out.

I admit to being blind, I totally missed that part ;) I was so busy making characters in my head all while reading that I need to go back and just read the book page for page after 2,0 to make sure I've remembered everything major.

I've got a question about the Darkhunter Shadow freerun talent. It says if you spend a prep to perform a combat move you don't spend that prep. So does that mean you can zip around infinitely?

It reads like this:

Passive Effect.
The target gains a +2 modifier to {Initiative}. Also,
when the target makes a [Combat Move] with
[Timing: Prep], it does not spend their [Prep].

See what I mean?

You can only ever make one Move Action during a turn, no matter what Timing you spend (or don't spend) to do it with. So for example you couldn't make a Simple Move and then also a Combat Move. Likewise here you can't just Combat Move forever.

However it's notable for example that Shadow Breach DOES NOT count as a Move Action. Therefore, you could Combat Move, then Shadow Breach for a double move.

I'm a patient man. Thank you again.

Question about various Talents: take something like Time Wizard's Chronos Traitor, which has a range of 7 sq. and a target of 1#. Can you target yourself with it? It's not totally clear, and it'd be pretty nice to know for sure.

Unless it specifies otherwise, yeah. There's no reason you wouldn't be able to.

Rather, Those are meant to be buffing talents for your party, and you are part of that party.

Confirming what says. You may totally target yourself with those types of abilities unless they specifically say you cannot (and there are some of those I think, like... maybe Dragon Lord has one, I want to say? And that's a specific example of specific exclusion).

For that matter, you could use attack talents to the same effect if you wanted to.

But that'd make you a dick.

That seems really weird. Because almost all of those talents have descriptions that heavily imply that they are effects used on other people.

If you've played DnD, think of it like any of the stat boosting spells the myriad of classes get.

Sure, you CAN cast them on anyone in X range, but there's no reason not to use it on yourself either.

Man, who put the rule that you need to be wearing armor to not take double damage hidden in small text in the middle of the equipment list? That's just plain silly. Is it stated clearly anywhere else in a bigger font at least?

I'm the one advocating this game so hard and i didn't even know that.

Guess you learn something new every day.

To be fair, armor in this game includes particularly well-made school uniforms.

I'd honestly like to ask Kamigakari user to insert a big boldface IF YOU DO NOT WEAR A SUIT YOU TAKE DOUBLE DAMAGE right before the equipment list's start. Cause sure, it's not there in the original, but who the fuck would look closely enough to figure this out otherwise? That kind of important information shouldn't be hidden like that.

Page 149 under [Suits] heading.

It is pretty obscure though.

thats true. if you don't have something you've squandered your money pretty badly.

this is also fair.

Yeah, that's where I found it, but I only did because I was trying to squeeze every last possible G out of my purchases by sheer accident. Considering none of the other headers have important information it feels...wrong to have such an important bit of trivia only there - particularly because a lot of characters don't want too much armor due to running with Evasion, in particular.

Shit, put it in the section on damage if there is one (haven't read the book yet, but am interested because of these threads) AND again in the equipment section.

Yeah that all sounds fine. I'll make that happen!

thanks to an user making a suggestion for a touhou themed campaign in another thread, i'm gonna do a couple characters for touhou.

Alice margatroid, because she's easily the hardest person to make due to needing a lot of personalized skills

And yuuka kazami. Because she's terrifying and would make an excellent boss mononoke.

So if that interests you at all, please wait warmly.

Master Spark?

I have a question! When a talent states that it forcibly inflicts a Shift on someone, such as the Dark Hunter A's Shadow Breach talent, are there any rolls involved with inflicting or resisting the Shift? Or is it automatic?

It is automatic, yup.

Now now, all Senrans are pretty amazing in their own right (unless their name is Minori or Yumi), but I think we all know who the best girl really is.

Most shifts involve spensing a very easy to get timing like prep or attack.

Due to th his, theres no opposed check to speak of, but only a few stick around for a while.

I'll give yuuka master spark, of course.

But as for marisa, she's better statted as a Human Elder mage A/Contractor A than as a mononoke.

However,you can turn godhunters into bossfights if you so wish. The rules for doing so are in the NPC creation section.

Okay, now that i think on it, i'ma take a poll for alice's style of play.

The first option is to have Alice use the attacks fluffed as the dolls. This would resemble her hisoutensoku moveset more than anything. This would include more direct attacks, but less mononoke summoned.

The other option would be to create a style in which she summons A certain amount of dolls per round as actual units, each with specialized abilities. Shanghai's would attack with swords and spears, Hourai's would Use a dash guard type skill to defend alice, And some would self-destruct on engagement with players.

Which version of alice would you rather see as a mononoke?

Till she punches time space with her bare fists, i'm still goin with daidouji.

And because i'm making alice, have a reaction image.

Usually thread is a bit more active than this

Katana.
2H or hand and a half?

Depends on what you think would be cooler, honestly. Either could fit. Even a one hand could fit. Personally I like the two-handed giant ass katana approach.

Unrelated, it's funny what you notice when you go back through this stuff. Like how the "bad footing" penalty is actually -2, not -4 as the PDF says it is. Whoooops.

Historically speaking, katana's came in all sizes, and many shapes.

Anywhere from straight spine to really curved, Grooved or not. Kodachi's, Wakizashi's, Tachi's, Odachi's, Even the Zanbato.

The term Katana is just a catch-all for Japanese swords. So really, anything from 1-hand to 2-hand is easily accurate.

That is a wide Difference lol.

Well, no one answered so i'll just do the one i think is more interesting, which is the latter version.

>Alice Margatroid/ Class: Humanoid/ Lv: 5
>ID: 7
>Weakness: [Phantom] [Magnet]

>{Combat Stats} | 3 | 4 | 11 | 9 | 4
>{Fixed Values} | 10 | 11 | 18 | 16 | 11

>Hp: 50
>Initiative: 9(4)
>Barrier: 3

>- [Form: Magic] 2d6+16 physical damage to the target.

>«Summon Shanghai» Attack/ 5 sq
>-Summons 2 Shanghai Dolls. Installs anywhere within a 5sq range

>«Summon Hourai» Attack/ 5 sq
>-Summons 3 Hourai Dolls. Installs anywhere within a 5sq Range

>>«Lemmings Parade» Attack/ Combat Zone/ Combat zone/ Resist halves
>- [Element: Fire] Deals 2d6+16 damage

>«Summon Goliath» Start/ User / Special: Boss only Attack
>-Un-summons all other dolls and alice from the field. Replace Alice with Goliath. After 10 rounds, Goliath Explodes, Dealing 10D6 Damage, Unless Inflicted with [Shift: Taken out] Or [Shift: Dead]. If defeated, Alice is also considered as [Shift: Taken out]

Here's a Base Mockup for Alice margatroid. I'll get back to you with the stats for shanghai, Hourai, and goliath Respectively.

Well, no one answered so i'll just do the one i think is more interesting, which is the latter version.

>Alice Margatroid/ Class: Humanoid/ Lv: 5
>ID: 7
>Weakness: [Phantom] [Magnet]

>{Combat Stats} | 3 | 4 | 11 | 9 | 4
>{Fixed Values} | 10 | 11 | 18 | 16 | 11

>Hp: 50
>Initiative: 9(4)
>Barrier: 3

>- [Form: Magic] 2d6+16 physical damage to the target.

>«Summon Shanghai» Attack/ 5 sq
>-Summons 2 Shanghai Dolls. Installs anywhere within a 5sq range 1/round

>«Summon Hourai» Attack/ 5 sq
>-Summons 3 Hourai Dolls. Installs anywhere within a 5sq Range 1/round

>>«Lemmings Parade» Attack/ Combat Zone/ Combat zone/ Resist halves
>- [Element: Fire] Deals 2d6+16 damage 1/round

>«Summon Goliath» Start/ User / Special: Boss only Attack
>-Un-summons all other dolls and alice from the field. Replace Alice with Goliath. After 10 rounds, Goliath Explodes, Dealing 10D6 Damage, Unless Inflicted with [Shift: Taken out] Or [Shift: Dead]. If defeated or explodes, Alice is also considered as [Shift: Taken out]

Here's a Base Mockup for Alice margatroid. I'll get back to you with the stats for shanghai, Hourai, and goliath Respectively.

Y'know, it kinda just hit me - are the expansion Styles not supposed to have Crest Forms, or is that simply still untranslated? Noticed while going through the book and now I'm curious which one it's supposed to be.