sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
When making a character what comes first for you?

>When making a character what comes first for you?

What type of game is the DM trying to run, and what personality will fit into that kind of game. I usually write character info before even picking a class.

Class. I almost always decide the character class first, then race, then personality.

I'm the type of guy who determines powers, abilities, and a centralized theme revolving around that first, and then I build everything else based on the idea in my head. Though I should note that I don't care about the strength or mechanical optimization behind a character so long as he fits the image I've conjured. Raw power doesn't matter as much as the theme of the power itself. I might want to play an Artificer, for example, or I might want to play a Devoted Knight, or a devil-pact Warlock, and from there I build the rest of the character around it.

Mechanics, if it doesn't have mechanical options it's a dead character. The beauty of RP is it's fluff you can get milage out of. But at the end of the day you're going to need more than it to solve problems. Bonus if you can get both like OoA pallys.

A short concept, like "An upbeat halfling worshipping an evil god" or a "Overconfident monk, who learned 20 years worth of kung-fu in 2 years by skipping the discipline part"

Usually some sort of a gimmick.
'Being really tough', 'Using mask of many faces to stay disgused from everybody all day', 'Doing mostly puzzle solving as a wizard and maybe some combat but squishy'

Mechanics, it's way easier to building a character background than building a character to be ok in fights. Also, I can change my roleplay mid-game, but I can't change my entire class.

Looking for feedback for my homebrew

Begin as a Thief until you hit Assassin and multiclass into Paladin.

In Curse of Strahd, what is the point of putting the dragon skull from Argynvostholt deep into the depths of Castle Ravenloft?

Players are not going to go exploring Ravenloft until the end of the adventure, there is no way they will ever go into Ravenloft to get the stupid skull and leave again

What kind of campaign we're playing and what the party has currently.

>Not going until uncanny dodge
Heretical

I'd say start paladin, get to 5 (or 6) then go rogue, considering that the game will end before the levels you get improved divine smite and those assassin features at the same time or you'll have to get to level 8 to get extra attack.

Though I guess 3 levels for assasin is the minimum you'd want.

Don't get medium armour master. Reach 20 dex and use light armour instead.

spoiler that shit, bruh

I'm playing CoS for the first time, pls no spoilers.

Our party just subdued and chained up a green Dragon. Due to mutual interests (Tons of fey faggots invading his home, he wants them gone. We want to skullfuck them after they killed half a village and kidnapped the other half), we have a small... agreement of sorts. He helps us, we help him.

What can we use a Green Dragon for? We know it is a mother (part of the reason why we let it live, and why it doesn't dare fight us again) it isn't that old, and was fairly easy for a level 8 party to down, without cheesy PAM and GWM bullshit.

We are mostly spell casters/gishes actually, and the dragon cast spells during the fight - is a green Dragon a spellcaster you could theoretically use as a teacher?

I am not quite sure what we should do with it. It isnt really strong enough to be more use than a tactical acid breath in a tough fight outdoors. Transports are also mostly short ranged due to her nest.

To show them around so they know what they're in for later? Can't they be guests or something?

Have sex with it.

Sorry m8, I fucked up

Anyway it's not a big spoiler the adventure tells you very plainly what you need to do, it's just never going to happen

>his home, he
Her, obviously.

It's a Dragon, don't give a shit about the gender.

Don't be surprised when it backstabs you in the moment of weakness, user.

No thanks.

I'll leave that to the dragonborn Bard.

What can I, as a high elf Bladesinger, use it for?

Use its breath for viles and flasks to bomb the opponents with.

>without cheesy PAM and GWM bullshit
>oh, we weren't classes that'd use PAM or GWM anyway because we realized that we'd be inferior to the classes we're playing now if we didn't take feats

Anyone know a good adventure to run for a one-shot? There's about 4 people and the level doesn't really matter.

I think the intent is actually to visit the Castle more than once. For instance, when the party encounters Gertruda and deduces that she's not a vampire, they'll likely want to get her out safely rather than keep on delving, unless they're total murderhobos.

Make your own dungeon.

>"The mayor's daughter was kidnapped by cultists?! They're planning to sacrifice her to (chaotic evil deity)?! What's this? Skeletons and undead? Have at thee, foul heretics! HIYAAHHH!!!"

>he doesn't murder every NPC

As we saw in the last thread, that approach is the fastest way to get killed in CoS.

How well would kensai combo with swashbuckler or battlemaster

green dragons are treacherous, and if your DM is worth his salt he'll be looking to fuck you over sooner or later.

Finished it, but I think its still possible to improve it.

Possible alterations:

- Addition of metamagic
- Wild Magic Surge
- Make it a half-caster like paladin, with access to 5th level spells
- Change spell bonardment feature to make it different from Wild Magic

Steal some scales and make acid proof armor. Otherwise it sounds like a rather useless NPC.

It's not your fault, it's mine. I really should know 20 year old content by now, but I appreciate that you cared enough to say sorry.

They should both be workable.

Everything is viable.

Celestial Warlock design wise is great, it gives warlock something other than damage (healing) that scales with level (doesn't incentive dips into the class).

Anyone have the r-n-w character sheets?

>Settlements: Skarns prize architecture dearly. It is their first and most loved art, and their cities reflect this passion. A skarn city is a celebration of styles, a harmony of building and landscape flowing from one city gate to its opposite. In general, skarns prefer powerfully built, tall buildings with skyway arches and caryatid buttresses. These buildings can rise to ten or more stories. A skarn city always includes several huge amphitheaters and public squares for speeches, elections, and spine-fighting rituals.
Still playing a Skarn soon. Still need advice on how to complain about architecture, Could also use advice on how to be prideful about Mishtai heritage.

Kensei's level 11 ability is such a massive boost you don't want to delay it.

But once you get it you can do whatever.

Racials give me +2STR and +1DEX plus a bite attack, but technically, I'm a versatile caster (still punches people in melee) that tends to focus towards blasts and skillmonkery.

What should I do with my stats?

user, this is not balanced in the slightest. Not using spell slots AT ALL? So at level 4 I can cast Lightning Bolt 10 times in a row (1 minute of rage), 3 times a day?

You need to really rethink this.

I fucked up the table, it should show the same levels EK can cast so it would only be possible to cast lightning bolt at level 13

Fixed pdf

Also, other change I might do is the spellcasting attribute

Have any of you been in a situation where you have to use Alter Self for natural weaponry?

>Everyone watching E3 and too busy to post here

Only when I did it for RP purposes

Help me out dude

I would choose between STR or DEX as my attribute for combat

If your focus is punching people and casting spells for support, max STR/DEX first. But if you want to cast spells with DC, max your caster stat first

Plot twist: the daughter is leading the cultists and the kidnapping was faked. The cultists are actually planning on sacrificing the PCs

So, I'm the newbie DM who's running Phandelver (I've posted about it lately) and I'm confused. From interrogating goblins in the first session, my players know Gundren is being kept hostage at Cragmaw Castle. They know he's got a map and sensitive information the Black Spider wants. This is information I've established already.

My player should easily figure out that sooner or later, Gundren will outlive his usefulness, so they'll probably rest at Phandalin and then rush to Cragmaw Castle, and immediately after, to Wave Echo Cave because they don't want the spider bastard to get his hand on powerful magic.

Yet the adventure implies they're probably going to stay in Phandalin a day or two to take care of the Redbrands, then fuck off to Old Owl Well, Thundertree or whatever, before taking on the Cave.

What should I do to motivate my players to do all those sidequests instead of worrying about their dwarf friend and his mine? Alternatively, how do I let them know they can take their time? I seriously don't want to skip on those sidequests, and having to tie up loose ends *after* the big finals would be just lame.

I have to max out INT and WIS. INT is my casting attribute but the character concept depends on actually maxing WIS and the GM is too much of a prude to allow me a simple casting attribute switch (like it fucking mattered whether I use INT or WIS to cast).

I still have some points for two attributes but that means I'd have to dump CHA (which I wish I could avoid) and CON or any of STR / DEX

Isn't it better to just dump CON and max both STR and DEX?
Also bite attack scales on STR. I guess that means if I have to pick, then STR?

WIS > INT > CON = DEX (your choice, do you want AC or HP?) > STR > CHA > DEX (If you chose CON and/or bite is STR based)

I'm not familiar with the campaign, but maybe you could have some NPCs barter information or whatever in exchange for taking care of the sidequests

I have plenty of concentration powers, so I suppose I dump DEX and CHA and pick STR?

yes

What the fuck even a class are you

Cleric1/WizardX trash?

It's called a Mystic dude

You can do almost everything with it, including melee.

Explain why eliminating useless NPCs is a bad thing.

>be you
>find NPC in the mountains
>he's alone
>murder him
>take his shit
>gg
>do the same to the lonely shopkeeper who has no one to mourn their death
>keep going until you get everything you want
>laugh maniacally while hoarding all your power
>defeat the villain
>save the day
>earn the respect and admiration of all the commoners
>murder anyone who knows the truth
Seems pretty simple to me.

That's an awesome plot twist actually.

Turns out that the mayor is in on it and is sending adventurers to their deaths.

Then the group finds the skeletal remains of the other adventurers who got deceived and killed before them. They end up helping the heroes and getting revenge on the cultists, the mayor, and the mayor's daughter, and when it's all over they take over the town and live there in peace. Or something.

Wow you must be fun to play with.

Not.

For you? No, because you'd be too easy to neck.

It's much more interesting when all of the players are trying to subtly kill one-another but can't.

I bet you play with """"teamwork"""" in mind. Some people just can't be honest.

>Evil PCs, the post.
not that there's anything wrong with that

That's shit-tier lazy evil

In our first D&D adventure about 16 years ago, we went into a large dungeon complex to try and save the mayor's two children who were kidnapped by an evil druid.
We didn't know much about the game, it was mostly a collection of encounters connected by corridors and traps, and when we got to the end, the DM kinda botched the description so we thought the mayor's (charmed) son was actually the druid and vice versa.
We killed the kids.

The DM didn't even figure it out until we went back to the village, he thought we just did it on purpose. He just assumed we're the worst murderhobos and went with it.

Is this your character?

But user, you are the villain.

shit tier lazy evil is still evil, user.

True. I guess it's just the equivalent of creating a good character who spends all of his time rescuing kittens from trees.

Is there any advice for someone looking for their first game on Roll20? did a couple IRL but trying online now.

>inb4: don't be a faggot or you should kill yourself.

I'm tellin' ya, kiddos, playing a Neutral/Evil campaign is tons of fun.

Yeah, I gave a simple example because I didn't want to type up a 20 page plot synopsis. I can come up with a better one.

The idea is to kill for the greater "good," or so he will justify, to the benefit of the kingdom, to further a personal goal, etc. That's what makes it so interesting. Play your character realistically. You think your stupidpowerful wizard gives a damn about some random shopkeeper who wants to charge triple price when he's trying to take down an evil vampire that's holding the province captive? No, screw that. He's going to give him a warning, if he doesn't submit or obey, he will do what he must to strengthen his chances of success against the enemy.

Greedy merchants will be slain, plot hooks to save women and children are pointless when they take away time that can be spent against the main villain (why save one little girl when you could save the country?), and why do I care about someone else's dream being fulfilled anyway? As a real person with real desires I will care about myself first and foremost, anyone else comes third if-at-all.

Let yourselves go, you wannabe shounen-type chuuni's.

Weak.

No, you fool. I'm the hero. Nobody will know how I did saved the kingdom-- only that I did it. And so what if they find out that I sacrifices a town to stop Tiamat, or took something without permission so long as it aided me in my quest? They'll sing songs of my exploits all the same.

How long should running white plume mountain take? Would a party of 4 players get through it in two 4 hour sessions? I'm doing a going away 2 shot for a friend and it seemed like a fun dungeon.

Don't be a fucking idiot and get some online friends instead.

>Greedy merchants will be slain

Oh fuck no not this retard again. You were BTFO by your DM and people in the last thread, can you fuck off now?

Get a load of this goy

You have put your coldsteeldom beyond any reasonable doubt

What kind of faggot shopkeeper with all these magic items (because why else would you bother robbing them?) stays by themself without anybody to back them up?

They deserve to die simply for winning the darwin award.

Any reason, Roll20 can't have that bad of a community can it?

How would I go about playing a drug induced haze for my players?

Next session they're going to a witch doctor to gain some knowledge. The witch doctor is going to have them drink a potion to gain it, which will send them on a "spirit journey" type of thing.

I have no idea how to play it out.

>Roll20 can't have that bad of a community can it?
It can and does. Look for games on Reddit if anything

Randoms on roll20 are all fetishists looking for someone to run their fanfiction and allow them to use their own custom, premade races and if they don't get to be the center of attention they scream and cry.

Make some friends online, or use the game finder thread, and dive in.

>Roll20 can't have that bad of a community can it?

>retarded Lawful Good Paladin spends triple gold
>buys some +2 sword from Jewstein Goldberg the Merchant
>wait until nightfall
>cast teleportation spell after using disguise/polymorph
>everyone else is sleeping in the Inn
>sneak into his house
>murder the greedy jew in his sleep
>you can murder him however you want honestly
>just burn the entire thing to the ground tbhfam
>take that Mystic Legendary Staff he tried to sell to you
>tried to get you to do the deal "for a favor"
>who's selling favors now, bitch?
>take the Paladin's gold that he gave to the merchant
>find a little something extra for that cute Fighter girl in the party
>teleport back
>no one knows
>whistle innocently with +50000 gold and a +3 staff
>steamrolll the evil vampire
>save the kingdom
>cute fighter girl in the party ends up with the edgy warlock who writes poetry in his tome
>murder him in a separate adventure
ez

Who cares if they have guards? Kill them, too, and you're fine.

>when reddit has better people

Terrible bait.

>take drugs
>go on wacky adventure where they bop cutebolds with rubber hammers or something
>find crazy treasure or the answer they need after a silly quest
>they wake up in a cave surrounded by the corpses of way more dead orcs than they could have killed

Have them go on a regular quest that increasingly makes no sense at all, but they still have to do it.
Watch a Stephen Lynch film; they have a progression of events and the characters follow them reasonably enough, but the progression makes absolutely no sense at all and follows this dreamlike nightmare logic.

>Kill the guards too
>You now have an entire fucking nation out to fuck you over, a nation in which shopkeepers without ungodly powerful defence matrixes have +2 swords and mystic staves, so there's no fucking way you stand a chance one versus a hundred loaded down paladins of righteous justice

Character creation for me
>Mechanics / stats
>Then theme (occasionally comes first if based on lore I found interesting like Duergar Arcana Clerics)
>Then background
>Then how the above have shaped the character
>Then personality / strengths / flaws

Just ask /5eg/ to do a roll20 game.

I'm sure everyone here is polite and sincere enough to keep it in their pants for at least 1 session.

r-right?

In the "spirit journey" they have to go through a jungle-like setting and retrieve the knowledge from some talisman (so plenty of cover for things to come out at them, it's a good setting for bizarre plants and the like). Monsters they fight will have a random x% chance of suddenly disappearing (any injuries suffered during the fight will have been illusory and mysteriously vanish), appearing elsewhere, or suddenly becoming a different creature. Monsters may often have vague forms and look like random things that aren't them.

Also throw in non-Euclidean geometry

My current group is from Roll20 and they are all fantastic. It's more a matter of having discerning taste for both sides.

I've been RPing with a group from /mlp/ for almost a year now, they've been great so far. I might be the that guy though.

Good thing I saved the paladins from that evil vampiric menace that took over the entire countryside.

It's nice to be the good guy.

Just to clarify to the user who asked, these are all hyperbole and you absolutely can find good groups on roll20. It's just that popular games like 5e or PF tend to have more misses than hits, since it is where the people who can't keep a stable group go. You need to be extremely picky. More obscure systems are usually better about it

There's plenty of people looking for games on the Discord.

>Merchant you "killed" was merely an illusion
>+3 staff is cursed. Any treasure you acquire will magically teleport to the merchant's vault after 1d4 hours

Yeah, sure, if you can save them in time. And even if you save them, they're hella lawful so your ass is still getting smote. On the bright side, they'll tell you you might just end up in a better place in the afterlife.

Great. I consider myself to be my greatest treasure, so I'll get teleported directly into the merchant's vault.

Then I'll murder the merchant for real this time, keep his staff, and make his vault my own.

Now when I find treasure it automatically goes to my new storeroom. I love it when a plan comes together.