magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/metamorphosis-2-0-2017-06-12

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

THREAD QUESTION

What do you think of the Metamorphosis 2.0 changes?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/327980-how-can-i-get-cigarette-smoke-smell-out-of-cards
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hazzy-razzy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What do you think of the Metamorphosis 2.0 changes?
doesnt effect edh
so i dont care

A good suggestion is to fill the deck with a bunch of low cost life gain spells to be able to trigger Extort as many times as possible while keeping enough mana for Karlov to deal with large threats as they arrive. Creature tokens would also be a good idea.

>this sperg who lurked for 8 hours just to include the discord
Hilarious. Remember, include a magic card in the OP or people won't reply.

I like having one single large set rather than blocks. I always end up not caring about the second set anyway, and it was really bad when they were doing 3 sets.
Also I'm glad they realized that they need to tone down the Gatewatch

Whenever I try to find the post explaining the changes it says I don't have access

Can anybody link to me the new announcements?

Basically build EDH Soul Sisters with plenty of life-based draw to recover after wipes. It's a lot of fun

Here you go user

I can give you a good TLDR if thi

#1—The Fall, Winter, and Spring Sets Will All Be Large Sets That Are Drafted Alone. Blocks no longer exist, sets may be connected, or not.

#2—The Summer Set Will Be a Revamped Core Set

#3—Less Gatewatch characters/cards

#4—The Masterpieces Series are now case by case basis, no longer going to be in every set.

I'm actually pretty okay with this.

I kinda like that they're dialing back the masterpiece series. They should be more special and rare, not just a shitty $15 Divert on a horrible card frame.

I really couldn't see a reason to complain.

Ever since I started magic in in early theros I was always confused by the artificial constraint of having every thing stuck in blocks.

Why make R&D job harder by forcing everything into this pattern?

on paper it sounds good, but I'm sure there will be plenty of time to bungle it in practice

It kind of does, since reintroducing Core Sets lets them do reprints better.

What's the angriest you guys have been with edh?

For me it was this
>friend is new to magic
>he's friends with everyone in my playgroup
>let him use one of my simpler decks so he can get hang of the game.
> decide to play after everyone got off work the next night.
> let friend borrow deck so he can look at the cards and have our roommate explain to him how to play the game.
> friend I let borrow deck is a smoker but I didn't think much of it since the cards are double sleeved and in a satin tower
> apparently friend decided to smoke while our other friend was explaining to him how to play
> after we play I take my cards back.
> next morning I notice the deck he used smelled like cigarette smoke
> cards themselves didn't smell but still pissed because the sleeves reek and since they were eclipse sleeves I had to pay about 15 for 100 plus all the time it took to double sleeve and the cost of the perfect fit sleeves.
>pretty expensive deck too with a lot of sentimental value since it was stuff I've collected over years of playing
> friend just lost his job, flunked out of school , and is horribly depressed so I'd feel bad about bringing it up or asking him to replace the sleeves because he'd feel even worse the he already does.

Does anyone know how to get rid of cigarette smell off of sleeves?
I tried washing them a bit but it only helped slightly

>they will reprint anything edh relevant
>they will reprint anything relevant

That was my thought also. Core sets also seemed to have a wider variety of mythics/rares that you couldnt find in the non-core.

They reprint plenty of neat stuff in core sets, also new things that are completely EDH relevant.

>been playing magic for 4 years
>essay due in 6 hours
>suddenly interest in EDH skyrockets

i dont know what decks your running, but i doubt shock, runeclaw bear, unsummon, generic 1 drop soldier, and vampiric bat makes it in most edh decks

mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/327980-how-can-i-get-cigarette-smoke-smell-out-of-cards

Some of the same ideas should work, I'd imagine.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hazzy-razzy/
need to pull 7 cards for it to be playable, any suggestions

I shitpost on here and browse edhrec and tappedout while at work. EDH is the best distraction for boring shit

thanks man I appreciate it.
I mean if it doesn't work I'll just have to buy new sleeves but it's still a shitty situation

Yisan came from core sets, same with boonweaver.

The fucking titan cycle came from a core set.

Let's take a gander at M15.
>Boonweaver Giant
>Chord of Calling
>Hornet Queen
>Painland Cycle
>Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Imagine how long it would take them to get an opportunity to reprint, say, Urborg in a Standard set otherwise?

The only problem I have is there is the potential for six planes in a single Standard rotation, so there may not be as much variety as the article would imply.

Unsummon is highly underrated, and anyway those are jus commons (not to mention, back in the day, there were good commons in core like doom blade)

I would love to be able to draft a new core set and pick up random eternal witnesses, oblivion rings, and such

Cut some of the less effective aggro/burn cards. I'm looking at: Volcanic Fallout, Electrickery, Shrine of Burning Rage, Furyblade Vampire, Skarrgan Firebird, Paragon of Fierce Defiance, and Shard Phoenix.

They're not printing Oblivion Ring anymore.

That one is fine too

You do miss out on a few cute interactions.

Oh definitely, but I still wouldn't mind having more banishing lights on hand for random decks

How would you build Nin? What I've got right now is a bunch of token generation and creatures/spells that do damage based on cards in hand.

Darksteel plate and it's Ilk are much better than tokens. Stuffy doll, myr, reef worm, chasm skulker.

I have a Mizzix question: What are the most used win cons for her?
My deck was designed to have a lot of board bounce spells (politics/disruption), a lot of 2 CMC or less draw spells, not that many creatures and at least 10 different counterspells.

My wins seems to come from either annoyingly long games where people run out of steam and I can start wrecking their fields or repeated Capsize/Fanning the Flames.
While I don't mind the deck winning in long games, I'd rather it not be EVERY game.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ehh, I would just go more control, and use her ability on random utility dorks like solemn sim and trinket mage, you only need one target for her ability

Oh and a darksteel plate so nin can get real kinky

Extra turns

It's pretty easy to howl of the horde a time stretch once you get going

My friends mizzix deck wins turn 4 regularly, if he untaps with mizzix it's over, he goes off with extra turns

Infinite mana and force your opponents to draw their own decks as punishment for having the audacity to play creatures. Also some cute things like stuffy doll and control elements with Young Pyromancer and Talrand to give you tokens to feed to Nin

>discord

Stop putting that cancerous reddit shit in the OP holy fuck

My friends gameplan is to build up counters as fast as possible, and then keep playing high impact cmc spells.

eventually combo out via storm, and usually with mind's desire.

I don't know whether this bends the rules or not, and I don't care. It's too relevant to resist.

If you don't like it, don't go there. I don't, but it's one fucking line in an OP that's not even remotely pushing its character cap. We lose literally nothing.

I want to get/make a WG or Bant Populate/Copy/ETB value deck. I already have Xenagos Ramp, Melek and Mazirek combo. What WG or Bant commander should I get that is different enough my others, but also fit the archetype?

>I play Mind Over Matter
Okay
>I play Temple Bell
In response, I Naturalize Mind Over Matter
>...
>In response I activate Temple Bell
You...can't. It's on the stack.
>I can activate Temple Bell at instant speed
Sure, but it hasn't hit the board yet
>...I don't think that's how that works.

This is an actual conversation I had last night with a guy who has played Magic for five years that I know of. How do you handle people who are just so very wrong about the rules?

GO over the rules on spell resolution.

I completely forgot about stuffy doll. Definitely using that.

>What do you think of the Metamorphosis 2.0 changes?

Anything with less Jacetice League is a good thing. Also glad to see core sets making a return, it'll hopefully open up some slots in the main sets for new stuff instead of trying to make reprints or functions. Having said that, I don't think we'll get anything too exciting from them, as anything that needs to be reprinted for Eternal formats is "too powerful" for Standard.

Sounds like it's all on you buddy. If your that anal about keeping your cards nice and even remotely pristine you don't lend them out period. Or at least be honest with the expectations of others handling your stuff.
Just buy new sleeves and and forget about it.

Derevi is pretty cool with tokens and populate, untapping lands and what not is fun

Trostani is literally populate: the commander, but there's also Rhys for token making, and tolsimir wolf blood also seems playable for gw tokens

Somtimes people just get confused, especially if there's some wishful thinking going on

Just be patient and explain

I have that deck with Jenara since she's nonthreatening, cheap and gives you something to do when you draw all your token copy shit but have 0 dudes.

>Hornet Queen
Oh yes!
I love her :3

>Metamorphosis 2.0 changes?

Them saying they are going to focus on new players in core sets is just a nice way of saying fuck you we are not going to make the game cheaper cause the good cards are to complicated for new players

>>discord

>DIS
>CORD

FUCKING

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Too many cards in Laquatus felt underwhelming. Now it's Oona. Win through either Doomsday or infinite mana through several methods, pumped into Oona to mill people out.

Is it weird that I've had real edh games that went like the pug pasta? I was focus fired in one game for attacking somebody with my magus of the wheel because "that's not what the card is for"

To be honest, I really just want a commander which I can blink stuff with Deadeye and Populate Angel of Sanctions with

Roon sounds like it would be good for you then

Spitting image is a fun card

I think the appeal of pug posting is that it happens to all of us or that we are the butt of the joke sometimes.

>tfw cards arrive in the mail

Almost have everything for Daxos now. There are some cute interactions I'd never even thought about until I started looking at what cards to use.

That's why the pasta is so good.

You better be running Skybind and Doomwake Giant.

Yeah. Doomwake is one of the few cards that hasn't arrived yet.

I wish you better luck than I had with Blaxos. He always did look fun

I'm putting him together for less spiky games, so I'm hoping he's able to do just alright.

So basically storm, extra turns and big bad high CMC spells are my (most popular) Mizzix wincon choices?

I would also put it out there that Reiterate Combo's are a thing, esspecially with Fireminds Forsight.

Grab Reiterate, Reset, and Lightning Bolt. Cast Reset, in response Reiterate With Buyback, get infinite mana, Lightning Bolt, Reiterated enough to kill everybody.

It is an instant speed combo, that with 3 counters on Mizzex Costs 2UUURRR with just Foresight in hand.

I'm getting tired of Gonti stealstuff.dec and want to play Gonti but with F L I C K E R shit and reanimation too.

Wrexial/Lazav/or Grixis Marchesa for this?

I crammed in proliferate to my mizzix, its easy to win when your spells cost 2 mana and deal 50 damage wth buyback. I get to durdle with planeswalkers so its fun to pilot and you still get to win.

The lack of Planeswalkers in my Mizzix is a conscious choice (to avoid putting any sort of bulls eye on myself), but out of curiosity, which Planeswalkers?

I only run a few; teferi, ralzarek, jtms, jace unraveller of secrets, and baby jace. Only baby jace and ralzarek are actually wincons the other walkers are tempo shields that force all eyes off mizzix.

Tough situation, but since it seems like you don't have the expectation that he replace them, that makes it easier. Try something like:
>hey, could you please avoid smoking while playing with my cards, I ended up having to replace the sleeves since they reeked of cigs.
>I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything like that.
>I just wanted to be clear with what I was asking and the reason for it.

Pick an underpowered commander and try to make it playable.

For Shimatsu, I'd add the following:
>When Shimatsu enters the battlefield, it deals damage equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it to target player and each creature he or she controls.

Initially I thought of only making damage players, making him sort of a red Maga, but I thought that would still be weak (Shimatsu simply sucks too much).
Though I realize that hitting the player's creatures makes him broken with Repercussion...

Whoa weird, I just finished up ordering my SILUMGARED deck. UW is the best if you want MUH FLICKER. There's no good on theme esper commanders for flickering shit, so you might have to go Oloro for the color and gudstuff.

Wrong thread you want the custom card thread.

Ew, fuck Oloro. I considered Silumgar but I'm afraid people would just catch on.

wow, this card is pretty strong

Didn't the article say that the new "core" sets would be half reprints?

Burn their hopes.

Reprintd focused for new players. Not likely to be tournament staples but made some chase rares if we're lucky.

cards that are better in foreign languages

you're thinking too small-scale here

ah yes the classic

>using this will deal double the damage of Volcano Hellion to yourself

Nervous laughter.

What's the point of Worldgorger Dragon in this list?
Easy cut.
I would also replace Apocalypse because Hazoret can't survive the exile. With Jokalhaups, he can.

Maniacal laughter.

I feel like I should run this in gitrog even though it will only net 1 draw

>:3
nice b8 m8

I specifically got that version of him for my B/R dragons deck. I cannot help but say his name in an exaggerated spanish accent.

Play Merieke and flicker the stuff you steal for permanent theft, obviously.

Now I'm feeling it

i'm right there with you

Anyone have a link to a xenagos deck that is as competitive as possible?

isn't a competitive xenagos deck just xenagos, ramp, and all the best 6-drops in the colors?

i dont think you need THAT many good fatties considering each one gets haste and double damage

the rest of the deck besides ramp and fatties should be good cheap removal, card draw, and recursion for your fatties that get killed

Make sure you have Putrefax, it's a one touch kill with Xeno and any pump. Deus of Calamity as well.

yeah, you're right.

i like xenagos as a card in the 99 but using him as your frontman seems like it would get stale, especially with a really tuned list. i guess if you're looking to close out 1v1 games in 5 minutes he's probably good, though.