>Previously, on /5eg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

medievalchronicles.com/medieval-clothing/medieval-shoes/
poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/44469
youtube.com/watch?v=BuNEV3OUjhI
1d4chan.org/wiki/Tel-Amhothlan
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no question edition

Party has a barbarian, cleric, rogue and warlock. Should I go paladin or bard? I'd really like either, just having a hard time deciding.

Flip a coin, see whether or not you end up disappointed.

My vote is for Paladin.

Ive got one: Has a character of yours worshiped or served an evil deity without being evil themselves?

Warlocks?

Someone tell me what spells are best for a Fiendlock spamming Hex as well.

OP question is: are you making homebrew stuff? If yes, post!

With that setup I'd go bard over paladin. Go control heavy and your melee friends will love you.

So I want to do some online games but all of my relatives are visiting for the next couple months.

I'm talking about 5 extra people in the house. It'll be insane.

Should I give up until they all bugger off? I'm not seeing any alternatives.

eldritch blast

>warlock
>spamming spells

Has your character ever befriended any strange creatures in their travels? If so, what was their interaction with them like?

I'm making a Wizard. Should I specialize in Evoking, or Divining? Divining is great because of the rolls you can save up and use on people, but Evoking lets you drop fireballs without nuking your teammates.

What the fuck do your relatives do that they can take two months off to visit? Why are you allowing them to stay at your place if it's going to cause you anguish?

>What is EB

My first warlock served the Queen of Air and Darkness and originally thought she was a good fey.

Warlocks aren't that bad. Some options are subpar but you do it for roleplay reasons to begin with. Just tell your DM to give you a Ring of Spell Storing and a Rod of the Pact Keeper (reflavored as your weapon of choice if you don't like holding a "rod" like myself).

Are you planning to do a lot of blasting? Honestly the choice quite simply comes down to that.

I really like the conquest paladin now.

They're my younger brothers visiting for summer vacation, plus my mom, coming from out of state with my grandma.

I already plan on DMing a campaign with my brothers but I want to do my own private games online as well.

I can't figure out a way that voice chat will work. I don't want to be That Guy who has some random teens screaming in the background whenever he unmutes.

In my last campaign, nearly every encounter I casted Hex. It has a horrendously long concentration-based duration, jumps to the next target automatically, makes your illusons and party grapplebeast stick more often, and makes your EBs do a heck of a lot more damage as every hit gets the boost.

Join text only games. You get people who can't play with voice for some reason but still really, really want to play or people who just can't be assed to put any amount of commitment or effort into a game, including so much as talking. It's a wild ride

I have had the subject on my mind because I want to play a tempest cleric, but the FR gods for that domain are all evil. Luckily it's pretty easy to justify a nonevil cleric of Umberlee, since it's specified that sailors pay her tribute so she won't fuck up their shit out at sea for shits and giggles. I'm thinking he will have survived a shipwreck and woken up with his clericy powers, and be convinced she spared him for some higher purpose (which may turn out to be helping her fuck with people on land too).

Well we're starting at 1st level, so I'm planning on abusing Sleep as much as possible between now and level 3, but after that I'm not sure if I'm creative enough to be a tactics wizard. So some blasting at least, but if I can, I'd prefer non damage spells.

I wanna make an alcoholic character, but I can't decide on a class. I have a background, she's gonna be a Mercenary Veteran and she blames herself for leading her mercenary group into an ambushing and getting everyone else besides herself and one other member killed. The other member ended up disabled and killed himself.

I'm thinking Way of the Drunken Master Monk, but then the background doesn't fit much and I kind of want her to be an alcoholic because of what happened. I've played a Sorcerer and a Mystic so far so I wanna try something new. I also considered some form of rogue, or maybe a Shadow Monk? I kind of want to try multiclassing too. Also having trouble choosing race, but I think Variant Human is basically the best / easiest choice.

Anyone happen to have the r-n-w character sheets?

Battle Master fighter would be a simple choice for a mercenary veteran former leader.

We met a skeleton once that was actually quite helpful. He had been impaled by multiple spears and arrows and was stuck in the wall. The skeleton was quite friendly to the team and told us to take a healing potion in his satchel.

He asked us to retrieve a trinket that he dropped further ahead when he died, and said to give it to his son who was also one of the main NPCs who started the questline.

When we got the trinket we ran back to find the skeleton and tell him.

He was gone. The spears were still there and a satchel was on the ground.

There was never a skeleton to begin with.

Yeah, but are fighters fun to play as? It really seems like a somewhat boring, generic class.

I played an alchoholic rogue/fighter archer with the same sort of backstory. The alchoholism didn't matter much, in combat, but it was something to play off in RP.

Final build was Thief Rogue 5/Fighter 1/Diviner Wizard 2 when the game ended, and I took the Lucky feat. Was a lot of fun.

That's precisely why I don't want to join a text-only game.

Whether you have fun with the game or not will always have more to do with your group than with any build choices, unless your character is completely gimped, which fighters aren't. And Battle Master is the tattered remnants of the attempt to make fighter stop being generic during the playtest, until it was cannibalized by 3.5 people who were peeved by fighters doing stuff other than hitting things

every martial has that problem

maybe valor bard would work?

Playing a character with a similar backstory right now. She's a bear totem barbarian with tavern brawler. She uses a brewers kit to make alcohol and carries it on her back in a keg while it ferments.

I've been in a few text only games. They're slow, but can be fun if you get a decent group.

And to add, the only really "generic" fighter is champion, since adding Champion and Battle Master was kind of the compromise reached to appease both sides of that argument

Battle Master is definitely less boring than Champion, at least if you can get interested in stuff like knocking guys over or making them piss themselves or countering their missed attacks. Their progression isn't the most thrilling thing, still, because your choice of maneuvers stays the same so you're probably taking the best maneuvers right away and then slowly collecting the worse ones as you level.

I like rolling d8s for some reason, so I enjoy it well enough.

Where would you recommend I find a good group?

I'll give it a try.

Anyone play an Artificer? What do you guys think of it?

is that a barbarian archetype or a wizard archatype, im confused.

You're right. I'm hoping me really trying with this roleplay will get everyone else into. Lots of newer people so they're hesitant to roleplay.
A bard does sound like a good choice actually. I'll look into it, but I kind of want to avoid spell casting stuff because I've only been casters so far.
I was working on a Monk earlier to see what it'd look like if I chose that. They had a Brewer's Kit and I was thinking of ways I could incorporate it if I did use that character. That sounds really cool. I'd love to be able to make beer for my party and see if I can maybe convince them to play along with the drinking roleplay. I'm somewhat tempted to buy some cheapish beer to hand out while we play too, nothing strong but just to get everyone in the mindset.

Barbarian

>when your Barbarian Rage is active
I think Barbarian

Are familiars worth it?

Clarification apreciated
only if you're a person who wants to give themselves advantage on every attack action but even then im not sure they're worth it.

As , I search for text-only games on roll20 using the advanced search options, then pray the group isn't shitty. I mean, I had a group which had every single anime shit red flag imaginable coming in, yet I'm still with them after a couple months, and then I joined something which sounded great from the campaign blurb and it's possibly the worst game I have ever been on (mostly because the DM tries too hard to be Matt Mercer with a group that's half composed of clueless newbies, but that's besides the point).

They can be if you use them right. Especially if you have a Pact of the Chain familiar from Warlock. If you're creative enough, you can come up with some cool shit. Even if you aren't creative, you can still have them scout shit. No one will be too suspicious of a bird or some other little creature. It's even better with Pact of the Chain because they can turn invisible.

They're a nice bonus. That's about it.

Thanks Anons, I appreciate the advice.

Hopefully I don't get a crappy group.

As a wizard, do I need to have a ritual spell in my spellbook in order to cast it? Or can I cast it even without having it in my spellbook? I'm thinking of taking Detect Magic, but I'm not sure it'd be useful enough to warrant a slot that could be Grease or Sleep instead.

medievalchronicles.com/medieval-clothing/medieval-shoes/

Fascinating. Do you think dwarven shoes would be any different?

that's a badass looking druid

>setting with guns
>they're mostly on par with bows but have Reload #
>want a gun
>have to be the tank but don't want to be a shitty Dex martial with a rapier
>Loading is gone from crossbows
>DM said bows and crossbows can use Strength instead of Dexterity
what do

Dwarves wear steel-toed boots with leather soles thick enough to make caltrops sweat.

I made the character before the drunken master UA was released, if it was out at the time I'd probably be playing that instead. Talk to your DM because everyone rules crafting differently. The beer idea sounds fun, but most of the people I play with don't drink unfortunately.

It has to be in your spell book but it doesn't need to be prepared.

>setting with guns
leave immediately

Expanding on familiars
If i manage to reverse pickpocket my spider familiar onto somebody do i need to roll to hit with a touch spell like shocking grasp?

I'm not really worried about 1d8 martial weapon rifles that only get two shots before needing a reload and has a shorter range than a longbow.

You would still have to roll, but I think advantage would be reasonable because the spider is unseen.

So land druids. Do people never talk about them because they suck, or is it just that moon druids are so much better (which they are)?

No one talks about druids because both archetypes are equally mediocre.

I'm thinking about giving a ranger PC this ability as an alternative to treasure. What do you think?

>You can cast Find Familiar as a ritual, but it only summons a fiendish owl. You can use the owl's senses as a bonus action rather than as an action.
>The owl can cast Hex without using a spell slot or components. It must take a short rest before it can do so again. You can trigger the bonus damage of the owl's Hex.
>If the owl eats a portion of a creature within 1 minute of you killing it, the owl tells you one secret the creature knew using the creature's voice.

The owl will have an off-coloration, occasionally turn its head over 360 degrees, occasionally make the sound of other much larger animals, and looking through its eyes will sometimes make flames appear that aren't really there.

In most cases you would be casting find familiar as a ritual spell, so yes. The usefulness of Chainlock varies depending on GM and type of campaign

Quickly! Post your top
>Tank
>Martial DPS
>Ranged DPS
>Control Caster
>Support Caster

>Your last role

>does away with the stupid initiative system with something much more sensible

I'm genuinely intrigued. Would be deeply pleased if someone would be so kind as to give a summary of how it works?

Anyone know of a decent resource for pithy bard quotes? Fables, parables, songs, poems? I'd like to get a few in me that aren't the super famous ones that will cause people to roll their eyes at me.

>DPS
>In a turn-based game

My character is friends with an elf.

nice idea but keep in mind that owls naturally have the fly-by ability of not triggering oppurtunity attacks so they could fly 15ft down, use the help action and fly 15ft back up away from combat. This is infinite help actions with no drawback. Nice hex idea thpugh

Tank: Battlemaster Fighter
Melee DPS: Battlemaster Fighter
Ranged DPS: Battlemaster Fighter
Control: Transmutation Wizard
Support: Life Cleric

Last role: Sun Soul Monk

I thought of that part about the help action. He's a ranger and could use the utility IMO.

DPS x 6 = 1turn

Go to a basement or a library or a park or some shit.

>Who has the fastest turns AND the most damage
desu not a hard concept

*60 = DPT

>Tank
Paladin
>Martial
Paladin
>Ranged
I don't understand the question
>Control
Paladin
>Support
Paladin

>Your last role
You play classes not roles, but fey bladelock.

It's not hard to tell what he means but it's still a dumb way to word it.

I think you mean that [damage per 1second] x [6seconds] = [1turn] = [6seconds of game-time]

>not allowing a player as many actions as he can physically execute within a 6 second timer
I bet you just let your players roll for diplomacy as well.

oh shit, is a turn 6 seconds long?

>Being friends with elves lul

in dnd its usually been 1turn = 6seconds of world-time. This means 1 minute is 10turns. and 1 1hr = 600turns

We cut off his ears and glued a beard on him. And by "being friends" I mean "he has Stockholm syndrome"

The poems of John Keats are always good. Take "Endymion" for instance, which talks about Cynthia/Selene the moon goddess. You can transcribe its words to talk about Selune.

poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/44469

Another example, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" is a great tragedy about a knight who falls in love with a faerie. This wonderful human being made it into a song.

youtube.com/watch?v=BuNEV3OUjhI

you should scavenge a belt of dwarven kind for him so that he is forced to grow a beard.

I got some homebrewing for a 5e campaign I need to do, and I was hoping this thread would be the right place to ask...

In my setting, elves are basically the inventors & masters of necromancy. Would anons recommend homebrewing a new elf subrace, or just use & reskin the Mul Daya from Planeshift: Zendikar?

Said setting also has elf-orc hybrids as a viable race (long story). Now, there were actually stats for these in 3.0; the Tel-Amhothlans of Kingdoms of Kalamar.

These were basically half-orcs with +2 Dex instead of +2 Str and a few other minor tweaks.

Now, what stat modifiers would you consider best for a 5e version? +2 Dex/+1 Str? The other way around? Or +1s for Str/Dex/Int?

>Tank
Eldritch Knight with Shield, Heavy Armor, and goodies

>Martial DPS
Berserker Barbarian

>Ranged DPS
Sharpshooter Fighter (+Sharpshooter Feat)

>Control Caster
Diviner Wizard

>Support Caster
Bard (Valor or Lore)

>Last Role
Rogue

I thought 1 round was 6 seconds

don't take my advice to heart but consider +1dex/str/cha

turn and round are interchangeable.

Florida doesn't have basements.

Library = people I don't know, usually bums leeching off the free AC and water fountains. What kind of autist goes to the library to roleplay for a dnd campaign anyway?

I'd rather not get mugged in my local park because I decided to bring my laptop out there. I don't even think they have wifi, and if they did it certainly isn't good enough to stream voice and video.

>Berserker Barbarian
People can say what they want... but when it comes up Frenzy is just amazing at killing the BBEG.

No they're fucking not retard. Each round is 6 seconds and each character has 1 turn in the round.

That's why Rogues can Sneak Attack on opportunity attacks, because it's the same round but a different turn then the one they Sneak Attacked on.

Thanks. The session is tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can get a couple in my brain to reference.

Hmm... that just might work. There's not really a lot to work on for the original because... well, see for yourself what it looked like:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Tel-Amhothlan

Does anyone know any good twitch channel for dnd streams?

Trying to find a /comfy/ series of videos to nestle down and watch.

Where do I find the 5E version of sunless citadel?

Also, is there a more expansive list of monster traits out there than in the DMG?

It's in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Oh, you're in Florida. Then let me give you some specific places.

-Inside a Croc's stomach
-Disneyworld (The jungle one, no one goes there)
-Rent out a cheap swamp house for DnD
-Wait until they leave for one of the parks and do it then

>Inside a Croc's stomach
We've mostly got gators, friend. Know the difference. It could save your life some day.

>Sun Vulcan
Sadly, I can't help you with your streams- But I can commemorate you on your good taste.

My druid picked up a mycanoid named Stool during the OotA campaign.
It allowed the party to communicate telepathically through rapport spores, so it was more than worth to keep around.
It basically looked like a loaf of sourdough bread with stubby little legs and would chill in my druid's herb sack.
My druid went a little crazy because that's what the Underdark do and became super protective of Stool and kept it safe through the entire campaign.
It got to the point where during the final battle against demon queen Lolth, the Talon of Lolth, and the Voice of Lolth he used one of his 4 turns of time stop to take off the herb sack and place it somewhere safe.

Fuck you you get podcasts.

Glass Cannon Podcast is good, it's Pathfinder but it's fine.
The Adventure Zone is fun for comedy but not rules.
The Indoorsman is a good 5e, rules following podcast.
The Film Reroll is GURPS but they try and recreate movie plots in GURPS, usually failing.
Bards and Nobles may be good, I haven't tried yet.
Welcome to the Magic Tavern. It's not DnD, but it is fantasy, so you may like it.
We're Alive. It isn't fantasy, but it is a story, so you may like it.
Last Podcast on the Left. It isn't DnD or Fantasy, but it's almost a story.
The History of Rome. It's history, which is almost DnD.