If you prefer the bottom image to the top one, you are everything wrong with modern fantasy wargaming

If you prefer the bottom image to the top one, you are everything wrong with modern fantasy wargaming.

Other urls found in this thread:

lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=f7e94ec383e427517fb011ab435e8f01&topic=85900.0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

such edge.

Oh no someone likes different things to me :( : ( they must be evilzzzzz

I dislike the bottom one simply because of what it represents and what was scrapped in order to create it.
It's existence taken out of context is'nt a bad thing.

You're confused OP, bottom is for a sci-fi wargame.

Well, it is bad out of context because AoS is hideous visually and has incredibly shitty lore but "epic high fantasy" is not an inherently bad concept.

>tfw Fantasy used to be about bleeding out in a muddy farm ditch from a Goblin arrow wound
>now it's either baroque dark shit like Dark Souls or generic guff were nothing matters any more like AoS

>incredibly shitty lore
>AoS is hideous visually
Both of these are highly subjective.
I personally dislike both of these, but I'm not gonna sperg out about it or attack people for liking them.

>>tfw Fantasy used to be about bleeding out in a muddy farm ditch from a Goblin arrow wound
Fantasy was and is about a lot of things.
Stop exagerating

I don't really see how Warhammer Fantasy and Dark Souls are fundamentally different in tone. They deal with totally different scales sure, but they're both about hopelessness and preserverence in the face of it.

Hell, I would argue that Warhammer fantasy is actually more hopeless tha Dark Souls.

>I would argue that Warhammer fantasy
Not true.
Some grinkdark leaked in the last two editions, but WHFB has usually been pretty balanced; lots of dark stuff but also heroism and good triumphing over evil.

The aesthetic is pretty bad, desu~

I don't really see how Dark Souls is different from your arrow example. Not to mention that Miyazaki himself said that Dark Souls was inspired by Western pen and paper RPGs.

If you're talking about Warhammer Fantasy in specific, I've never bought the argument that it was all about gritty realism and that such a thing merely came about because of how the RPG portrayed things. I'm not sure how you can claim that Fantasy is somehow based in realism when the world came about as it did due to the meddling of ancient aliens who ripped a hole into another dimension from which pours out energy that mutates both living beings and the land itself.

The bottom image kinda exemplifies a trend I've come to hate in modern art direction in general.

It's all over designed, there's a lot of detail, most of it is without purpose and exists merely for the sake of having detail. There's no subtlety at all. Worst of all, when you zoom out (like in the image), all that detail turns into noise and I can't tell what the fuck is going on.

the numbers, they repeat

The rank and file of the Stormcast and Khorne forces are actually relatively clean I think. As for Chaos being overly detailed, that is merely technology catching up to art. People who liked the art in Realms of Chaos and finally being able to make it into reality.

You can argue and I personally dislike it, but aethetic is subject to personal taste, not some universal scale.

Yeah, particularly GW, especially now that they use CAD almost exclusively it seems, they think because they can make a skull texture "stamp", they should use it.

Miniatures need a focal point, be it a bare head on top of uniform armour, a weapon or a cloak or something. Otherwise it just looks like a mess coming towards you on the table.

When I was younger, people around me struggled to paint basic Space Marines fully within the lines, I can't imagine some of the abominations kids paint up these days. Probably leave a lot of it grey plastic.

This.

>
>Well, it is bad out of context because AoS is hideous visually and has incredibly shitty lore but "epic high fantasy" is not an inherently bad concept.

Taking the shitty lore into account is very much viewing it within context.

Are those ones from the bottom Warhammer 40k?

To be fair, not over accentuating every little bit of armour would go a long way to improve these minis; they actually look pretty good with the right paintjob.
I would have bought them if it wasn't for the pants on head retarded price.

The context being referred to is it replacing WHFB.

AoS would still be shit even if WHFB never existed.

Also, for the sake of proving a point, the same guy who did warriors of Chaos also did iconic art for the Empire as well.

This is Warhammer...

Just as much as this and OP's image is.

I think he may have meant WFRP.

That's still the Warhammer world though, no?
Even if you are goons, there is still an elflord riding around on a dragon mowing down chaos warriors somewhere.

Warhammer has always had this busy and overly-detailed art-style, and has always lacked any subtlety or purpose. It's rule of cool all the way. That's okay, because that's the style of the game.

My original grievance here is that in modern day, in tabletop, videogames and TV, over-designing has become the norm. Like that other poster pointed out, technology has caught up and artists no longer feel the need to restrain themselves. Tabletop rulebook art is full of this kind of stuff, miniatures have tiny details and textures all over the place, videogames abuse normal maps, TV and movies are full of CGI with this problem.

There also seems to be some sort of feedback loop, where they keep adding more and more details and exaggerating more and more to keep ahead of the curve.

only thing i hate about AOS is the sigmarines themselves. so fucking ugly.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the art direction (for the most part) of AoS. It's too cartoony. It lacks any of the distinct style or grit of the old Warhammer stuff. Over designing stuff has always been fine, so long as you do it correctly and have good art direction.

That's really my only argument. I don't like people using "over detailed" as some kind of perjorative, even though that's what gave both Warhammer's their unique style in the first place.

>videogames abuse normal maps
if the normal maps went away you would miss them believe me.

>I'm not sure how you can claim that Fantasy is somehow based in realism when the world came about as it did due to the meddling of ancient aliens who ripped a hole into another dimension from which pours out energy that mutates both living beings and the land itself.
>he doesnt know about the antartica incident

There's a difference between using something and abusing something.

Nobody is saying that normal maps should go away.

What's up with the spearman in the BG of the top image? Why isn't he helping?

See the guy in the red cloak?
40 years ago that guys grandpa sold the spearguy's grandpa a donkey that went lame the next week.

Top. Its clear what's at stake, and its about the characters and not the world.

I like neither, so you can fuck right off

Show us what you like.

You mean you don't care about the epic confrontation between the fat, awkward C3P0s and the queer NFL team?

>Chris get over here you fucking dickhead he's just killed Barry!
>nah mate, have you seen the size of that bastard, not getting involved

Are those Ultramarines?

So my options are bland, boring "you rolled poorly. The 6 goblins murder your squad of diseased conscripts" or overblown garbage?

Tip one feels more personal, and the dark age feeling it gives is something I prefer.
Bottom one just looks like 40k but without da boyz.

I'd love to play the top one if I knew where to get them

lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=f7e94ec383e427517fb011ab435e8f01&topic=85900.0

This guy's log is worth a peek, think he says which manufacturers everything is from.

>If you prefer the bottom image to the top one, you are everything wrong with modern fantasy wargaming.
>bottom image
>fantasy

its clearly 40k you moron

>Still buttblasted that Not!Europe! The setting was axed in favor of AoS
I mean you have to give them credit for at least having the balls to end the setting instead of some asspull at the end where chaos gets beat somehow. Not only that but now they are free to try entirely new things since it's a new setting.

I agree that fantasy is superior, but you could not have chosen a worse picture.
The top scenario looks incredibly swayed in favor of the humans, a very boring outcome. And with so few models, it would resemble D&D 4e rather than actual Warhammer Fantasy.

>The top scenario looks incredibly swayed in favor of the humans

Mate he's nine foot tall and got a hammer bigger than their bodies.

>Not only that but now they are free to try entirely new things since it's a new setting.

And 90% of those things have been fucking awful.

A troll/ogre guy vs a couple of humans is much more compelling and even than epic for the win invincible spice marines vs punching bags.

In your opinion. Disciples of Tzeentch, Sylvaneth, Kharadron Overlords, and Ironjaws have all been great from a design standpoint. All of these are new things and all of them are fun and are new when it comes to bucking old tropes...except the Orks however, but that's to be expected

They could have stomped Warhammer Fantasy the Game but let the setting still exist and still bring out novels and such things.

AoS could be something entirely new.

>All of these are new things

Sylvaneth and Ironjaws are just extensions of stuff that already existed; bigger Dryads and bigger Orcs respectively.

>Bigger dryads

Nigga it's said multiple times that Sylvaneth are fucking crazy as shit and that no one can really trust them because they slaughter everything without prejudice. Last I checked, treebeard didn't go out of his way to kill living stuff, nor did any dryads in fantasy settings, unless they were fucked with first. Sylvaneth destroy anything with a heartbeat

Yes. Yes they are.

Nurgle approves.

>let the setting still exist

What's the point of that?
I'm glad the setting got closure.

PRAISE THE PLAGUEFATHER

I do like AoS. I'm sick and tired of grimdark nonsense that dominated the genre for the last decade.

What about literally the dryads from the fantasy setting they're an extension of.
Even fucking TWhammer has the fucking tree people of the wood elves be all batshit

>spice marines

WE WILL FLAMBE THE ENEMIES OF MANKIND

Better not get a closure rather than the rushed, half assed thing they came out with

Well meme'd friend, kek smiles.

What genre?
You mean fantasy? It had D&D, golarion, KoW and a bunch of other settings that weren't grimdark in the slightest

You mean sci-fi? It had infinity, mass effect, star wars,even there, these are not grimdark at all.

You just didn't like warhammer fantasy and couldn't be bothered to try another setting more to your liking

>>tfw Fantasy used to be about bleeding out in a muddy farm ditch from a Goblin arrow wound

he said, posting an image of Comedy Goblins circa 1993

Point taken, but you know the reverse is true, and it killed Bretonnians as a line. Faced with the blank slate of a horse tabard, even pretty qualified painters often give up. Painting a dozen or so for an Empire army - especially within the knightly orders and their well-defined iconography - is fine; painting an entire army where pretty much every horse has to be different *and* you're going to get shit on anyway because the only other people who play them are all heraldry buffs... it's easier not to.

Sounds like the wood elves but with less lore and history.

Grrrrr I hate things, Grrr I hate people who don't hate the things I hate. Fuck off. Fantasy can explore a broad number of themes, just limiting yourself to one or two is FINE, as long as you don't continue this bullshit idea that fantasy has and should only ever be one thing. You might not be the cause of the issues in the entertainment industry, but you sure as fuck aren't helping.

And AoS may not be great, but the genre it exists in isn't new, and has been around for as long as fantastical fiction has existed.

and big, meaty thighs

My last contact with GW prior to picking AoS up few months ago was in 2008 or so. And if you think Infinity isn't grimdark, you clearly never read the fluff and just looked at the shiny images. Even in D&D, "realism" fags ruined the game by turning it into a shitty WFRP attempt. I for one welcome the shift from beige, brown and black back to vibrant colours.

the new models are just too anime

It's not, actually, it's AoS, which is probably indicative of the very problem the thread is discussing.

It's lost the identity that the first one had, and now they're all some big vague fantasy puree.

Old fantasy was the sickness, new fantasy is the cure.

I thought calling AoS 40K was a new meme I missed in my past two weeks' absence

this guys have it right, GW display miniatures are painted in a way to show off as many details of the dude as possible

What are some popular skirmish gaming systems for low fantasy as shown in the top picture?

I'm interested in getting into that kind of gritty sword and sorcery wargaming, but don't know of any good systems to use.

You made me want to build some more scenery like that in the top. Thanks user

Seconding this

Maybe think about things before you use your fingers to communicate.

While I don't have the visceral hatred of AoS that some do. I feel like 40k already represented the 'retardly over the top fantasy' niche.

> AVE NURGLE!
> AVE NURGLE!
> AVE NURGLE!

>people like different thing.
what a fucking shocker.
i like Aos and Lord of the Rings but found WFB exceedingly dull after a while.

That's just like your opinion man.
I like cartoons and metal music. A game that provides the same feeling is cool in my book.

Song of Blades and Heroes, and Open Combat. SAGA too. /awg/ has all the files.

Huesca's Bell... a fellow spanish comrade in Veeky Forums?

The father smiles upon us this day.

The gameplay for AoS looks fun to me, but none of the factions click with me.

Skaven look interesting but I already run two swarm armies in 40k and don't want to invest into another. On top of this i can't really say I would stick with them.

well what would you look for exactly? all the previous races are still about other than the horse fuckers and egyptian skeletons.

I plan on starting a Sylvaneth army. Only problem is the fluff just seems so vast and expansive that nothing seems to matter anymore. Like there is an infinite number of everything in an infinite universe.

I honestly have no idea. Just none of the ones looked good when I was at my local games workshop. Sylvaneth look kind of cute to play, but I've only seen two people play AoS ever and it was a chaos vs undead game.

Lotr strat bat game, Frostgrave. I'd love to know more

not really. if you scratch the surface of the fluff, you'll find things are a lot more limited. during the realm gates wars, most of the realms are almost totally dominated by chaos. ghyran especially. everything was on it's last legs.

sylvaneth are very good. i have a unit of kurnoth hunters in front of me right now and the models are fucking fantastic. i haven't been impressed with a kit like that in quite a long time.

so do you still have human towns and settlements, with areas akin to the old world?

GROGNARD LAMER ALERT

GROGNARD LAMER ALERT

GROGNARD LAMER ALERT

GROGNARD LAMER ALERT

GROGNARD LAMER ALERT

GROGNARD LAMER ALERT

indeed. the newish warhammer quest game is set in a city like that. hammerhal or hammerfel, something like that. i forget. and city of secrets (a novel) goes into a lot of details about the mortal races and their daily lives.

Well there's-
>popular
oh
Have it anyway though, get a group together

>not posting the superior version

So you're saying it's an improvement?