Evil party

Hello Veeky Forums

Can you provide me examples from fiction or history where a group of people, a collective or even a nation falls from grace?

>pic related

I'm playing an evil themed campaign with my group and we want to play our fall from grace just before starting the real deal. I am looking for inspiration.

Thanks in advance

>Feanor
>Evil
Melkor-shills get out.

This poster is a Noldor. Do not trust his words and do not turn your back on him.

No one said evil cannot be sympathetic after all.

This poster is a Easterling. Do not trust his words and do not turn your back on him.

I hope you are not implying that the Noldor are in some shape or form evil.

As in, literal babykilling evil or are you satisfied with subjective evil?

Haha you fool, you've made the classic blunder!

We'll, if you have examples of both I won't turn them down!

I am implying that they are tragic heroes, which on some perspective can be framed as an "evil" example.

As for my perspective, time stands always still at the iron hill.

Bamp

Well history is kinda filled with "evil" guys ending up as pretty good rulers for the commoners. Sure they strangled a few babies in the crib, had some women married of at 5 years old and killed a few elderly... But they saved thousands of lives doing it!

And fiction is harder, i honestly don't know many stories about tragic heroes except maybe lancelot (but he's just kinda following his dick). Otherwise you've got Eisenhorn in WH40K, inquisitor going slowly off the deep end trying to stop the greater evil etc.
Probably some others i'm forgetting about right now though...

Why does it always have to be one or the other with you people.

Why can't my wizard just be obsessed with his own oncoming death or power or hes just plain greedy and is willing to commit evil acts without hesitation to get to his goal.

Thanks for the hints friend. I was looking more for examples about groups of people going the same way (that is, down the path of evil), which I think it's harder due to the more drama being present with a single protagonist, but nonetheless... any example about that that you may recall?

No need to be upset about an objectively neutral question, friend. Do you have any middle ground examples regarding groups of people?

OP here, meant for this post

If you're thinking of smaller groups, like a party of players, maybe along the lines of modern special forces units. You might have to kidnap people, torture them for information, accept collateral damage in order to take out key targets. There could be lots of evil things you're - not willing to accept - but endure, to achieve *your* greater good.

Argentines after getting their asses whooped by the Brits. After that their collective sense of ethics and moral behavior was shattered.

The enemy of mine, isn't he of your kind, Vala?

Before falling you need a reason to do so, something you did before. Lets take a simple DnD style adventure for an example:

Theres an ork warlord gathering forces in preperation for a massive nation smashing invasion. Your job is to stop him, sounds reasonable, right?

So you all set out like happy little adventurers to kill the BBEG as you do... Except this isnt DnD so you get your asses handed to you, ljmping back to *insert nation* here to warn everyone of the impending doom and how they must prepare, stock up food for sieges and raise massive armies to stand a chance...

But the nobles dont wanna do that, shits expensive. The commoners dont wanna do that, they havent seen any orks around for generations, and the king certainly doesnt want to, hes to busy with orgies and fine wine.

So you take action, the elements that work 'against' your cause must go. You dont have time for the long game, no time for clever plots and scheming. You need to take the short cut.

The road to hell is laid with good intentions, and nobody thinks they are in the wrong.

Oh, and if you want a historical example of falling kind of thing. Post ww1 germany.

Lorgar from 40k fell because he refused to quit doing the stuff he always did - seek out and worship true divinity, rather than simply doing a face heel turn. You could have characters who always were confident in their mission until their "good" superiors reprimanded them for doing what they always believed in.

>do Melkor's work for him
If not evil, they're incredibly stupid.

So, you basically become an eversive force to organize a coup, installing a government that is going to act more efficiently against the threat?

Because that makes you the first kind.

bump for interest

Was there ever a FR book on the adventures of Bane, Bhaal and the other guy when they murderhoboed their way to deities but it was just as planned?