/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Read the rulebooks, user." edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Old thread: The dh2 errata doesn't handle righteous fury for multiple dices and automatic and semi fire. How does that work?

Other urls found in this thread:

community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/82650-rogue-trader-generator-tools-released/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

For example you roll two 10's in frag grenade roll - two righteous furies?

Another example - you fire with autogun on automatic fire. You get three hits, and three 10's. Three righteous furies?

Thank you user, may God Emperor bless you.

What's the best take all comers weapon loadout for a macrocarid explorator? We're expected to be scouts more or less and be out of supply contact for a while.

Which book is it in?

mars needs women

I'm searching for tables that can help me design a campaign or missions (random generate names, places, thrreats ecc) so that i can work on the details (i don't have a lot of time lately)

There was a generator for rogue trader, an .exe file but i dont remember where it is

Graviton to deal with vehicles and irad engines to deal with infantry. Downside: you have to get close.

My GM is allowing me to have a custom armour upgrade, I recently got a power armour, since I am New can anyone suggest something interesting for a tech priest

I won't express my opinion about power armours in dark heresy early game, but you can tell it's negative. Power armour upgrade. Get a force field.

Found it

community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/82650-rogue-trader-generator-tools-released/

I meant this is my first DH game, been playing for months now, I am just weak with lore and tech

Still acolytes receiving power armor just because is meh

To YOUR feelings. But maybe his GM's feelings are different. Your feelings are not feelier than his feelings. It's a valid way to play the game.

Jerking off to acolytes early game in power armor makes my stomach turn in the same way the neckbeards imply SoBs arent brides to emperor and only, and that eldar-human offspring is possible.

Since I am new to the game I don't know are the standard so to say, but current my party are all rank 6 and I only got my armour when my gm and I fluff a reward for slaying a demon manifesting in some hub in a forge world

And maybe I should clarify I asking asking creative ideas for armour upgrade for a tech priest that is using a power armour

That depends. While I am in agreement that DH characters really shouldn't have power armor (unless they're an inquisitor/Magos or something), guy did say they've been playing for months now. If his game is once a week, that could be a pretty experienced character, even if the player himself apparently is "weak with lore and tech"

There's a very simple solution to that. Educate yourself

user, the guy just said he'd been playing for months, take your badwrongfun shit >>/out/.
The improved power pack from Black Crusade.
The primary problem with power armor is you still have to deal with the 1d5 hours battery time.
As for bitz, improved autosenses in the helmet, maglocks for your gear, ceramite coating to cut back on flame and melta.

user from here, I didn't know you were playing high powered late game. Sorry for that, I cringed at the idea of early game power armor but who cares now.

Obvious force field. Fuck any upgrades to power armor, the power armor will be your 2nd tier defence. 1st tier defence will be force field soaking ballistic attacks.

Assuming that he can get a force field, user.
Shit, I've been playing 40k rpgs for years and can count on one hand how many times I've gotten a force field that wasn't taken from my enemies dead hands.

They have fucking power armours user.

Thankfully my GM gave me a nefted dragon scale so I charge my own armour unless I read the rules wrong. The other ideas good to
No worries I understand your issues with early buffs
Really should but asking Veeky Forums is so much simpler and give me a better idea. I mean I originally idea was to make a null field just to not get killed by my 3 pysker players

Force field seem to be good choice, maybe I can refluff it like a quasi Luminen barrier

Presumably you're playing 1e, based on your earlier comment of Rank 6. Might I suggest downloading all of the 1e stuff from the Mega, and paying especially close attention to the stuff in the Lathe Worlds book? It'll definitely help you lore-wise. Just let your GM know what you're doing ahead of time so he can tell you what (if anything) to avoid reading, for fear of spoilers/metagaming.

I plan to do so, and I have read most of the books but when the GM ask to give a custom upgrade that is not in the book the I struggle to include some fluff and balance

But then again I maybe need to better reread of the lathe world books

>and that eldar-human offspring is possible.

Tech Priests are terminators in dh1e anyway, lathe worlds stuff is your way to go

>Aschually
>Literally one in the galaxy snowflake

Fuck off

Don't forget its also practically not canon any longer.

The gachimuchi wrestling space marines stuff in 40k is on the same level as this

>gachimuchi wrestling space marines
The what?

>I just got refuted so I'll accuse them of shifting the goalposts instead of giving a counter-argument!

>gachimuchi wrestling space marines is not canon

Kek

>No that canon example of the thing I'm saying never existed in the lore doesn't count because reasons!

>refuted

pick one

You probably jerk it to the idea of eldar offspring, it's raunchy here when you post, also stick the pick one meme up your ass :^)

Oh no, Half breeds in 40k are a dumb idea as a whole, but they're one GW had and put into their books first.

It's pathfinder tier of snowflake trying to insert it now. I was dm'ing a dh2 game and posted the thingy in game finder thread and actually there were people asking to play half breeds, eldar or orks. In dark heresy 2, acolytes game. I still have flashbacks

Not the user saying it never existed, just that it's not canon any longer.

Yeah. I mean, even if you use the "canon in 40k is a fallacy" line, so much in RT changed in the transition to 2e that it's practically not the same setting. Like I'll accept an opinion as valid if they can cite me a source from all the way back to The Lost and the Damned, but if you go before even that, you're not even really talking 40k anymore. At least not 40k as most people would think of it.

>neckbeards imply SoBs arent brides to emperor
t. Goge Vandire

Yes, and?
You think that one thing equals another?

You swallowed "and only". The fuckers implying that saint, righteous fury dealing SoBs are bordello in spess make me puke a little bit

I am saying that if they have power armours, then they should have no problem with acquiring force field. THINK user, THINK

Thank you user, may the emperor protect your mind against the foul daemons

>the ultramarines have a half-faggot Chief Librarian and he's the head Astropath for all of fucking Macragge as well

didn't all of RT get retconned when Necromunda came out?

According to what metric?
The book "says" so? Considering he is playing dh1e, he may not have the money or time that it takes to locate and purchase one, or the arms to twist to get one.
Sorry, shitlord, you have nothing to stand on.

I'm guessing according to the fa/tg/uy metric where they recommend you get a shield before you work on power armour

It's obvious they are playing with ascension rules you for-no-reason insulting faglord.

That or Realms of Chaos. Either way RT looks nothing like any version of 40k that came thereafter.

>you for-no-reason insulting
You might want to work on that one.

fuck off dickhead

Realms of Chaos. Necromunda was 1995, Slaves to Darkness, which really made 40k what it is today, was '89. Though BL's changes to the setting (even before Guilliman's return) are probably almost on the same level of restructuring, just a lot slower.

Better. It had a lot more punch to it. Flowed better, you know?

that's what it was, mb

I always remember everyone in my middle school being into necromunda in like '96-'97 and that really launching the whole 40k thing

Hope he is reading this. 1d4chan is cancer

Yo buddy, I think you got the wrong board. 's two boards down.

Why are shields in DH 2e so ass? A shield boasts only +5 WS over any Balanced weapon to Parrying, and can't even work with Counter-Attack because you have to attack with the weapon you parried with

put a shock field, a pistol built into the handhold or a force field in them

counter attack with the shock field or pistol or just enjoy having a force field

Planning to run my first Dark Heresy game, and I have a question about the Inquisitor the players work for. The Inquisitor is a member of a single Ordo, but does that mean that his Acolytes can only research instances relating to said Ordo? Can an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor send his Acolytes to root out a possible Chaos cult?

An Ordo is a specialty, not a straight jacket. Eisenhorn is an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, but he spent large amounts of time fighting a chaos cult/summoning Daemonhosts.

You absolutely can send them to root out a Chaos cult, the Inquisitor would just be more interested/more adept at fighting xeno cults. He'd be likely to compare notes with any friends he had in the Ordo Malleus or Hereticus, but there's no reason not to take out a cult if he thinks there's one around.

Also, the Ordos have special relationships with their particular chamber militant, so it's easier for an Ordo Xenos inquisitor to call on the Deathwatch for aid than the Grey Knights or the Sisters of Battle, but that doesn't mean he couldn't ask them for help either.

Absolutely. Look at the Eisenhorn books for example. He starts out in the Ordo Xenos, but it seems like most of the threats he faces after book 1 are Hereticus/Malleus. An Inquisitor's job is to root out corruption no matter what the source

Thanks for clearing that up, that's what I thought when I was first reading the book, but then I confused myself when reading about the Ordos.

Unrelated, but does anyone have advice on how to get AdMech or religious players in character. I had an Explorator in my last Rogue Trader game, but he basically ignored all tech that wasn't immediately being used to kill, and if someone goes AdMech in DH, I'd rather not have that happen again.

How do you build a Dark eldar?
Wych, preferably, but I've never poked at them much.

put them in charge of running the plasma engine, maintaining all the weapons and armor, etc, at least on a daily basis

their basic job is to recover forgotten or lost technology from ancient worlds. so part of all of that falls to the GM to at least send them loking, doesn't necessarily mean they'll find anything

anytime you say "space hulk" they should basically be insisting you guys raid the thing, which by in large may turn out to be an absolutely horrible idea, but archaeotech is archaeotech

they're supposed to be "rational beyond reproach" but in 40k that basically just means as suicidal as any other zealot

might make more sense if you play like it's the year 680,000

for a wych

tons of agility, dodge, tumble, leap, combat drugs, several attacks a round in melee, poisoned weapons that will kill you horribly from even a scratch, very light if any armour, probably a personal holo field, and chucking hallucinogen grenades left and right, maybe some throwing stars that also kill from a scratch or a pistol that likewise, kills from a scratch

if they start losing a fight they might literally run straight at a wall and *schlork* back into the webway just to come at you again later.

make sure to pack antidotes and maybe a hospitaller, if not a full on medical bay, poison may take days to kill and it's torturous as fuck

I meant as a PC. I'm looking at Soul Reaver/Dark Kin and trying to remember how xenos worked years ago when I ran this game. Do xenos get to take character creation path, too?

if they're a PC yeah but only if it makes sense

give them swashbuckler or something

Eh, Rogue Trader, to specify.

Thanks for the advice, but that seems geared towards RT, I was talking about if a player picked an AdMech background in DH. We used to play RT, but the campaign ended and now I'm going to run a DH game.

Just read the books

let him hack?

Should be the one to investigate mysterious devices, maintain equipment, sanctify modified weapons, deal with high tech security systems, etc.

Yeah, I'm definitely not recruiting for my next game until this is done.

>Admech
Remind him that he's an animist. Every piece of technology he encounters has a spirit, and that spirit interacts with the world just as much as he does. While he may understand the cause and effect of a lot of what happens to his machinery, he also understands it as something which exists within a non-material world as well. So when his autogun jams, its Machine Spirit must be angry with him for not servicing it frequently enough, while when his data slate continues to function despite being submerged in the greasy sewage he just waded through, he knows it is because of the slate's fondness for him.
Consider describing certain objects differently to him. A damaged cogitator's spirit might moan softly in pain as he turns it on, its binaric chittering a subtle call for the right of extreme plasma welding. A suit of power armor might emit a predatory hiss from its exhaust vents, while an ancient mining drill might whine like an errant child when its turned on. All that's happening is putting the lens of the techpriests over ordinary mechanical function, but it can help to understand that devout priests just see the world a bit differently than we do.
Also, remember that 40k technology can be pretty goddamn magical. The heretical Logicians' motto is "Once, We Were Gods." They weren't far from wrong.

>Ecclesiarchy
Religion is deeply entwined with civilization. Your education was likely strongly informed by the Imperial Cult, with tales of the Saints and Martyrs a huge part of your life. Even the most roguish sort still sees the Emperor as a God,and only the very foolish question the Ecclesiarchy's role as his material representatives.
The cult has obvious, awesome, physical power. Every major edifice praises the Emperor, and public displays of extreme devotion are common. Finally, priests and clergy often serve as the bedrock of communities, providing guidance to the uncertain, succor to the weak, and leadership in times of trouble.

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully it'll help get them to see the game differently, and not have their characters affiliation as just window dressing.

If you're running 1e, have them take a look at the Alt. Career Ranks. I normally limit my players to 1, 2 max, but they're a great way to add individuality to a given character.

This user is right: The Inquisitor's handbook is a godsend for spicing up characters. My rule is you get one special thing to start (alternate homeworld, background package, or alternate starting rank), but you can work towards whatever alternate ranks you want.
Word of warning, a lot of alternate ranks/background packages are a little OP. The Metallican Gunslinger is a complete badass, for example.

>starting xp for an acolyte is 1000
>recommended threat level for 1000 xp is 6x number of PCs in warband
>a deathwatch marine has a threat of 30
>a group of 5 acolytes with starting stats and equipment is expected to be able to kill a deathwatch space marine
I dont even know what to make of 2e's threat system

It is possible assuming they get initiative on the space marine. Sniper rifles and manstopper rounds are both Scarce and Accurate can make up for the rest of the damage.

Just run 1st ed dark heresy.

The threat levels there are meant to represent how dangerous they are to the Imperium and it's citizens, not the acolytes per se.

This means that you would focus less on what adversaries are balanced for the acolytes' party level, and more on what makes sense to be in the area the acolytes are about to kick open the door of; Let them figure out what to do after that.

don't cross mortals and humans

also don't cross "mortal" daemon princes with 29,00 wounds and AV 19 with humans

About to start a Dark Heresy campaign with some friends, could anyone recommend a place to find Character pictures to use, be nice to add a bit of flavor to our character sheets.

Why is Gellar field called that? Who's Gellar?

GW 80's meme, based on Uri Gellar ,a "psychic" noted for spoon bending.

Pretty sure they don't, makes up for their starting skills and talents

What is the opposite of a null?? Someone that seem to be part of the warp

.....a psyker?

...a daemon?

It's actually easier than you think.
A longlas is gonna put the hurt on a space marine, and what you are ignoring is that marine has no real way to lock down multiple enemies at once. Sure, he can chainsword rip/tear a single acolyte, but now he has the other 4 to deal with.
A single RF can change the entire battle if they can successfully stun or cripple an arm or leg.

the psi rating scale goes from omega minus for extremely powerful blanks to alpha plus for extremely powerful psykers

I didn't know this. I think my friend is going to be sad his character concept doesn't quite work. He'll probably petition the GM to change the ruling.

ey bby wanna post that armory?

Look through the books, and take a look at the character art threads too. You never know what you'll see on there

Pretty sure it's in the previous thread linked in the OP

SO I'm going to be running a BC game and I'm thinking for their very first compact they will be working towards getting a derelict ship (probably an Iconoclast-class but possibly a Repulsive-class) fully operational and under their control. Right now I have as far as secondary objectives for the compact (which they can resolve in any order):

> Get a Crew (or at least the bare minimum to operate the ship)
> Get a "Navigator" (can be either a corrupted navigator, chaos sorcerer, or daemon, their choice)
> Secure the ship (bare minimum, search and secure the bridge and engineering sections of anything hostile that might be living on the derelict, they are free to seal the rest of the ship off to deal with at a later date)
> Make arrangements with one of the "industrial" worlds of the Screaming Vortex (be it Q'sal, Guelph, The Hollows, or other such world with a strong"-ish" manufacturing base) to have them repair the ship and bring it to full operation.

Anything else you can think of as far as additional secondary objectives that I can add? Or does that just about cover it?

Also what would be a good complication to throw into this endeavor?

Alright folks, luker but rare poster. I'm about to run my first round of 40k rpg, and I have a possibly-stupid question, but...

What, for Thrones Sake, is the actual difference between the Adeptas Sororitas career from Inquisitor's Handbook and the Battle-Sister career from Blood of Martyrs in 1E DH? Why are there two different classes for this?