Text or voice?

Text or voice?

Text all day erry day

Depends on the type of game I'm in.

If it's an ERP, there is no way in hell I want to listen to awkward neck beards try to describe how their character is doing "lewd" things.

Anything else I'm fine with voice.

voice

>ERP
EYOL

Text if you want to get shit done and have interesting roleplay happen.
Voice if you don't want to feel like a hyper autist.

Text IC
Voice OOC

Video works best.

For the people who prefer text, how do you avoid losing your players interest while you type out the next scene? I type pretty fast. But having all these dead zones where no one talks or types really drags it down for me.

Never been a problem for me. If the campaign is good and the players invested, a minute or two of a lull won't be enough for anyone to drift away.

I suppose that's true.
It would also allow me to listen to music, and smoke weed without any faggots giving me a life lesson.
I should try a text game.

You should have scene descriptions prepared. If you're going of the rails give the players less info at a time.
If you tell them that they come across a Farmhouse they will ask you a question like "Does the farmer have daughters I can seduce?", then you have plenty of time to type because they'll wait for the answer.

Text is literally for autists who are incapable of normal voice interaction.

There's usually a second window for players to type OOC. There, they can discuss things like you'd regularly do at a table, and often there isn't a long period of extended silence.

Both. Some people in my group can talk, some people can't (one is literally mute). It took a little to train them to wait for the people who are typing to finish, but it works well for us.

Interesting. What do you use for text games. Would discord be appropriate for the task?

Hearing is pretty fucked, would rather read and type rather then subject the group to my annoying voice and have to crank up the volume to hear the GM going. "S-so like, umm, you're at this place, and umm, there's like a, a guy you umm, you need to talk too."

Either or. Depends on the game, and the crowd I'm playing with.

Roll 20 + whatever you usually use to stay in touch

only this guy wrote the right answer

The only reason to use text is that you're an autistic neckbeard, scared of anyone judging you for your voice.

Or, because you're a teenager that's embarrassed to play a structured game of pretend.

This is a social hobby, it's foolish to try to get into it, and expect to have a good experience while being anti-social about it.

You can get MAYBE 1/10th the enjoyment out of text, when compared to voice.

I wrote the exact same thing here

Depends on the players. When I was in college I played with a lot of theater people, really good actors who could convincingly voice their character. Sometimes I still meet people like that, but mostly these days I stick to text because the people around me would rather let the imagination be their theater. This is fine for its own reasons, but occasionally emphasis gets misplaced in dialogue. It's really more about what makes everybody comfortable and happy both in and out of character, like anything else in RPGs.

Depends on the players, but for my money text IC, voice OOC is the way to go. Both are easier when you don't have to worry about talking over each other as much, and from a personal perspective, everyone in my group is a shit actor and expresses a character much better in text. Text is also the only way I can have my characters display a noticeable degree of emotion.

>Redditspacing
>Retarded post.

I enjoy both, although I prefer online text games to IRL ones in general.

IRL games are more about the social side, chilling with friends. And while that's fine and all, I find it a lot easier to get really invested in interesting storytelling with online text based stuff.

The ability to carefully choose your words and craft your descriptions, the slightly slower pace giving you more time to think, and logs- Goddamn. Logs are the biggest advantage of text based games, having everything right there to go back over, to check up on a detail, remember how you characterised an NPC or just to relive an awesome moment you shared with your friends.

Different people will prefer different formats of course, I've just found text to create the experience I most enjoy much more effectively than voice.

It's never been too much of a chore on my end to wait for a "loading screen".
We've practiced for this for years!

Well, not entirely.
I can pull off a lot of character voices/inflections, but having text just takes away the fear of sounding inconsistent. The only unifying trait is its purpose; let the players use imagination to keep immersion strong.

I would love to speak, but neighbors won't let me.

I've tried both and generally prefer text.

>not playing around an actual table
Why do people do this?

Because they can't, because they prefer not to, because they enjoy it for its own merits alongside IRL tabletop experiences?

Why is it hard to wrap your head around?

He's accoustic.

Text is great because its quiet

If you have parents/room mates/significant others, this way they aren't kept up by mumbling about elves into the crack of dawn

tbqh online players have been an order of magnitude better than my IRL friends who continue to RP as they did 12 years ago despite it being current year

Text is for autists

My players like my game and don't mind waiting. They can see I'm typing up something.

Also, rather than using massive paragraphs, I split them up into several smaller posts, which keeps their attention and gives me time to keep typing the next bit

>smoke weed
>during game

and before you say anything
drinking alcohol is not okay either

Suit yourself. My friends and I enjoy an RPG session with a couple of pints and it suits us fine.

I disagree with you very existence

> stop having fun in a way that's different to my way
There's always one

This is Veeky Forums. There's way fucking more than just one.

Depends on the person, the group, and the game. If you can handle yourself and contribute to a good game then that's fine. If you can't but your group is just as immature then that's fine.

This is the best solution. Text enhances immersion in the moment; voice facilitates efficient and dynamic exchange of ideas from an outside perspective.

>>ERP
>EYOL
NTY

For serious RP I prefer pure text.

Normally I play pure voice.

I think voice + text usually works well too though.

The best campaign I ever played was run like this.

>Text or voice?

So far I've never had one 1 of 5 an online voice games that I enjoyed game I enjoyed.

I've had 8 out of 11 online text games that I've enjoyed.

I've never had an in-person game I've enjoyed, but they were all organized play instead of campaigns and I hate organized play.

I LOOK FORWARD to playing a campaign game in person in voice.

but until that happens I'm probably going to try to stick to text games.

They're both okay.

Text takes longer, but I'd consider it if we're expected to take lots of time and think things through to make higher-quality IC decisions.

Situations like
>your PCs have a whole week to make a decision
>but you only get 5 minutes because of game session time constraints
>wow why are your plans so bad, are you retarded or something
Might be less likely if we had text and less time pressure

If it has to be over the internet? Voice. ESPECIALLY if I'm GMing, all the fun and nuance is in the delivery.