sgiz.mobi/s3/dbadf27c707b

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:

Do you guys tell your players the DC that they need to make?

What happened to the trove being updated with the AL modules? Did it end at the same time as free distribution of the modules went or did I miss something?

I'd been looking into this myself recently. I'm going with a Rakshasa whose,been secretly running large sections of a kingdoms economy for a few centuries

Our group is hyped as f for Curse of Strahd, what could we expect?
Any advice or tactics or warnings going into the adventure?

Nope. I tell them after, but only on things they probably wont use again like DC 13 perception to find the pearl or something. I don't tell them the DC of the dex save from a wizards fireball because they can figure that out for themselves if they want to play smart.

I don't tell my players anything. Makes the game more challenging, and fun for the DM, like swining at a piñata or putting the tail on the donkey with blindfolds on.

You're def not supposed to or else the footnote on Bardic Inspration doesn't make sense.

Should I play a Monster Hunter Fighter or a Samurai?

Both

Can anyone give me feedback on this barbarian-caster archetype? its essentially a copy of the one posted last thread but with some changes.

Path of the Frenzy Sorcerer
This is a barbarian path focused on giving the player a small amount of spellcasting and a new roleplay angle. The spellcasting is identical to the Eldritch Knight but instead of using intelligence it uses strength and instead of using wizard spells it uses sorcerer spells.

The lore here is that a person can be born with sorcerer blood and never fully tap into it. If they instead find themselves following the path of a barbarian, their sorcerer blood can unintentionally focus magic through their rage. The character will think that the spells are an aspect of their rage and they most likely won’t understand how magic works outside of their barbarian-spells.

Magical Fury:
When you reach 3rd level, you augment your Rage with the ability to cast spells. You are able to cast and concentrate on spells when your Barbarian Rage is active and your Rage does not end early if you cast a spell on your turn, spells with a range of ‘self’ do not apply to this rule.

Cantrips:
At 3rd level you learn two cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list.
You learn an additional cantrip of your choice at 10th level.

Spell Slots:
Frenzy Sorcerers do not prepare spells. You cannot cast your Frenzy Sorcerer’s spells unless you are Raging. The Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher.
cont. in next post talking about how they learn and cast spells.

>The other way to cast spells was that your barbarian must first experience a spell to use it, they will be able to use their reaction to attempt to absorb the spell and if they suceed on the saving throw they cannot use their reaction to learn it, if they fail the saving throw they can use their reaction to learn the spell.

E.g A warlock casts fireball and the barbarian fails their dex save, they can now use their reaction to learn the spell. This counts toward their number of spells learn’t and if they’ve learnt too many spells they will be

>Another approach to spell casting is to have it similar to warlock spellcasting, where you get a number of spells/day and you have to cast a spell at its highest level.

You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher.
You know three 1st-level spells of your choice from the Sorcerer spell list. The spells known column of the Eldrich Knight Spellcasting table shows when you learn more spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be at a level for which you can cast, as shown on the table.

Spellcasting Ability.
Strength is your spellcasting ability for your Sorcerer spells, since you learn your spells by channeling innate sorcery through your rage. You use your strength whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Strength modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save = DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier

>having to trade ASKs for feats
>literally having to debuff your character to make it interesting
>GWF and Sharpshooter are pretty much the only feats worth taking
>some feats are so bad they literally give a half ASI
>weird chunky metagame of feat purchasing mixed with ASI
>this was worse than giving feats by default every 4th level and having ASIs be rare so the hard cap at 20 doesn't seem so fucking grinding

Wizards isn't even releasing more of them, they just reprint tomb of horrors which used to be fucking free, except now they charge you 30 dollars for it, because oh look the pretty art.

This isn't very helpful user I am an extremely indecisive person

Violent Spell (6th lvl Path feature)
Starting at 6th level, you can throw aside all concern for defence to attack with fierce desperation. When you cast the first spell on your turn you can decide to do it violently. Doing so gives a number of enemies (equal to your spellcasting modifier, minimum of 1) disadvantage on their saving throw against your spell, but attack rolls against you have advantage for a number of turns equal to the number of enemies affected by the spell / 2(rounded down).

Controlled Rage (10th lvl Path feature)
Starting at 10th level, you no longer exit rage if you fail to cast a spell during your turn.

Spell Bombardment (14th lvl Path feature)
Beginning at 14th level, the harmful energy of your spells intensifies. When you roll ramage for a spell and roll the highest number possible on any of the dice, you can roll another dice of damage and add it to the total. You can only use this feature once per turn.

Tg, in what way is the Time Stop spell useful? The most I've come up with accelerate crucial 1 minute casting rituals mid battle.

Maybe for social encounters? Steal the orb of orcus being wielded by the lich?

Personally I would monster hunter because I'm not a weeaboo but that's just me.

I took Keen Mind. Is it bad?

I do admit, feats were my primary means of customizing my character before, so it bums me out how neutered they are here. But it did get out of hand in 3.5 and PF. There were feats for everything.

>number of enemies affected by the spell / 2 (rounded down)
I'm changing this to rounded up so that targeting 1&2 people = 1round disadvantage
3&4 = 2rounds disadvantage etc

>using the classes primary stat for spellcasting

Are you retarded? That's fucking broken as fuck. "This spellcasting uses strength instead of intellect like EK does" should have been your first clue you stupid fucking faggot.

>inb4 you try to respond with "well eldritch knight is shit so this is ONLY FAIR because martials should be way better than casters its only fair because muh 3.5

Maybe stop trying to min-max all the fucking time

Is there a limit to cloning? Or is it completely possible for a rich BBEG wizard to just have some sort of cloning room in his tower with a hundred or so clones?

If you take Keen Mind as a wizard I would argue with the DM that you no longer need to have your spellbook on-hand to cast spells because you memorize them as stated with the feat.

I just find another 1/3 vancian caster pretty boring

Here's the original because I'm looking for feedback too.

I can separate the fluff from the crunch, it's not like I HAVE to act like an actual samurai.

>1 minute
Time stop lasts 12-30 seconds

The idea here is to make the barbarian a good blaster while raging, like Wot4E monk but good.

What about on things like lore bard's Cutting Words, or wild sorc's Bend Luck?

Clone
8th-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 1,000 gp and at least 1 cubic inch of flesh of the creature that is to be cloned, which the spell consumes, and a vessel worth at least 2,000 gp that has a sealable lid and is large enough to hold a Medium creature, such as a huge urn, coffin, mud-filled cyst in the ground, or crystal container filled with salt water)
Duration: Instantaneous
This spell grows an inert duplicate of a living creature as a safeguard against death. This clone forms inside as a sealed vessel and grows to full size and maturity after 120 days you can also choose to have the clone be a younger version of the same creature. It remains inert and endures indefinitely, as long as its vessel remains undisturbed.

At any time after the clone matures, if the original creature dies, its soul transfers to the clone, provided that the soul is free and willing to return. The clone is physically identical to the original and has the same personality, memories, and abilities, but none of the original's equipment. The original creature's physical remains, if they still exist, become inert and can't thereafter be restored to life, since the creature's soul is elsewhere.

With the Wish spell there are no component limits and with the default spell I don't think there are any limits.

> Rich
Wish has no casting components or cost. As long as you're big and strong enough to cast 9th level spells you don't even need magic.

With cutting words they can decide to roll it after they've been hit I'm fairly sure.

Guys. Come on.

samurai with heavy armor master feat

Make the spellcasting stat Wis then?
>Before the DM determines if it hits
The DM doesn't remember my AC so have at him.

>Cutting words only requires a reaction while the valor bard version requires a bonus action, a reaction and needs to be preemptive
>cutting words also has better effects
poor valor bards

>not liking the shitty clunky chargen and charadv means you minmax

Lmao. Try harder Hasbro shill. You're barely worth responding to except to mock

Generally no, but mostly because it's immersion breaking. Not any artifical difficulty. It's good to let players have information so they can make better decisions, but you should do it in a way that doesn't interfere with the flow of the game.
And anyway, usually there's no definite set 'to succeed' DC and instead there's a 'you almost succeed' point.

the spell doesn't suggest you can't have multiple clones. on the other hand it doesn't explain what happens if you do either. would you wake up in the earliest clone avaliable, or the most recent?

the only real danger is that the more clones you make, the higher chance someone could steal a clone. it's not clear that you could cancel the spell, so you would be at their mercy until you got it back. but that's what demiplanes are for.

>This feat
Well shit. Now that, that would be hilarious, I didn't even know that that was a thing.

How do I fight enemies with burrow speed? Our party was hired to kill bullettes infesting a mine, and I fear that they will just retreat when things aren't looking good for them and wait til we're gone. It's not enough for to just defeat them - gotta kill them for good.

Bait them up to the surface?

Don't let them run, surround them, ensnare them, use excessive amount of caltrops

What are some cool party combinations? Monster Slayer Ranger and Lore Wizard seems cool because the Ranger's Slayer's Eye can tell the Lore Wizard how best to use their Spell Secrets.

Anyone got stats for a frost wyrm? I'm thinking like a giant snake, but with horns ala norse wyrms and a breath weapon, but I don't want it to just be a dragon. What's an equivelant I could change up with minimal work, or even just refluff to have it look how I desire.

Anybody here use Roll20?
What do you use to make your maps?

Well, they can just disengage underground.

That seems like an interesting thread to follow.

I kinda wanna homebrew something, perhaps something like a Champion stat block alongside the Naga regeneration?

Just showing up on random battlefields, being a huge nuisance to both sides because they can not seem to kill him for reasons unbeknownst to them.

Why can't I stop wanting to change my character and class? I have a problem, good fucking god. I get all excited about a class, make the character, play a session, then suddenly get excited about another character that I want to play. I've made like 3 or 4 so far and now I'm secretly hoping for my current one to die.

How do we fix Wild Magic?

>make it a wizard subclass

You clearly want to play different mechanical things.

Stick with a character and stop having ADD. You'll grow attached eventually.

Every time someone takes an action roll 1d100. Crit procs the Wild Magic.

I've at least decided I'm not gonna ask the DM to let me change my character. I am currently playing a Mystic and it is definitely fun. I also like my character's backstory and personality. So I hope I get really into it soon. Thanks for the advice.

What are your thoughts in the Mystic? Bad, good, broken...

If that's the case, then your question isn't really about stats. The reincarnation of Nagas and various fiends is just about fluff. However you choose to justify it, be it through magic or some other force, in the end he keeps coming back because you, the DM, says he does. I'd personally recommend you think of a way for the players to kill him outright s they don't think your just being a dick, but that's also up to you in the end.

I purposefully avoided the more powerful disciplines because I didn't want to be annoying to the DM. Teleporting has been the most helpful one so far, but being able to use Psychic Phantoms to spend 1 psi point to deal 1d10 psychic damage and give everyone advantage in melee towards the target is also extremely helpful. It requires an Int save, and most enemies we've fought haven't been able to succeed at that. Psionic Restoration is also great, it's a cheap 1d8 for healing per psi point spent and at level 5 can be a cheap revivify. I also have Telepathic Contact, which can be very broken if you use Occluded Mind as is, but I just use it so I can speak telepathically with the other party members all at once. My character is basically a mute by choice and only speaks telepathically. So it really depends on the player as to how the Mystic is played. I honestly think it's decently balanced, as psi points go very quickly if you aren't careful. I'm only level 3 though, so maybe it'll be different at higher levels. A lot of these disciplines seem to have some really powerful, expensive options. They were smart in limiting it to only being able to spend a certain amount of psi points depending on your level, but I think the cap being 7 is a bit odd. You basically deal max damage at level 9 with that being the cap.

I rambled a bit there, but overall I'd say it's a good class, which needs some balancing changes. Maybe more psi points total, but also more expensive disciplines so there can be cheap moves that deal decent damage, and expensive moves that deal high damage. It's going to be hard to get it right.

>First time GMing
>misread the feat option
>accidentally let people take 2 ASI or 1 ASI and a feat
>never broken the game for my group, and everyone pretty much always gets a feat and an ASI every increase.
>No one wants to bother with SS or GWM

Feels fucking good man.

Why does everybody act like weapon feats are some sort of evil entity?

Without weapon feats, what's the point in playing a pure barbarian over a barbarogue? Heck, what's the point in playing a damn fighter?

Either you use one of the suggested fixes (give everybody parts of feats for free) or just fucking live with it and take them. It doesn't break games, it balances it.

That's a smart idea. I think it might need a bit of balancing with the more OP feats though, like Lucky should require sacrificing your other ASI or something.

People in my group see "-5 to hit for +10 damage" and go "NOP.jpg"

Not sure why. But I like it.

Eh, it hasn't been a problem yet. I have someone with lucky, but it hasn't been that impactful yet.

I am also good at drawing out resources of my players, so lucky rarely has enough of an impact.

So, they can't do mathematics.

Fighters and barbarians deals more damage than rogues even without those feats, and sword & board and two weapon fighting aren't shit compared to 2h weapons

How much can you improv as a DM with AL material? So you can't distribute Magic Items or more encounters from what I understand but can you provide cute little side things to interact with so long as it doesn't provide mechanical benefits?
Just trying to gauge how far I can go within its bounds.

If it does more damage, it's barely anything worthwhile.

>Wizards isn't even releasing more of them
?

Speaking as a DM currently running Strahd, you must read EVERYTHING that your players might encounter. Without spoilers since you might not be the DM, EVERY event in this land is connected. People are connected, places have relationships, items have desires.

I warned my group that once they got into the setting proper it was an open world sandbox, quests would be available for them that they might not be able to do and this land is very dangerous. They have had so many quest hooks come their way that they have never fully completed one. They keep getting distracted and that has repercussions.

More or less.

Hey I dont mind. Maybe it becomes a problem if someone figures it out. Then I will see if it becomes a problem. Right now the martials heavily outperform the wizard, because I stretch them so thin with long days with only short rests available. The Tomelock is even doing pretty good, but he only matches the Rogue and paladin in damage.

Is Mounted Comabatant obligatory for mount users?

Come back when you can make an intelligible table

Help me design a battle master Veeky Forums I was thinking of going with a Goliath. What weapons should I go with? What are the best maneuvers? Any feats I should look out for?

Are bird people broken? We're level 5. Flying speed sounds like a big deal.

What exactly is it you don't understand about it?

It's literally just 'this is how much damage on average each class set-up does against a 19 AC target when they're at level 11 and are built using a normal damage build'
I don't see what the problem is.

Not really. Personally I'd recommend against it because mounts are something DMs might want to take away from you sometimes. But I guess it's a nice extra if you find yourself mounted a lot.

If you are going to be fighting on mounts a lot and you don't want it to die, I'd take it

Yeah, it's currently a toss-up between Mounted Combatant and GWM. I have Polearm Master already so GWM seems better, assuming they synergize like I think they do.

Find Steed makes it less of a setback if it does I guess.

First time D&D player.
Are these stats good?
Aarakocra Monk.

GWM drops off in usefulness at level 11 and after for paladins, especially if you're not devotion or something.

I'd consider an ASI since those are generally good for paladins, charisma or strength, but mounted combatant isn't bad if you find yourself on steeds a lot for combat. If you keep coming across 'your mount can't fit in here' sorts of things, I wouldn't suggest it.

You're a brave man.

>16 strength
>10 dex

No

Well seeing as a goblin does 3 damage on a minimum roll, that's pretty terrible

You should have a minimum of 7 HP at level 1. First level HP is you max hit dice (d8 for monks) plus your CON modifier, which in your case in -1. You're also going to want to consider more dexterity, it's the main stat for monks.

I hope you have fun in your first game.

Goddamnit
Should I just point buy?

Take some of that strength and put it into con.

Don't you get to move your stats around? Or were you told to roll straight down the line.

Holy shit the longer you look the worse it gets

>huh, 16 dex 14 wis, maybe would be better to have 17 dex 15 wis but hey, whatever
>12 int.. Well, sure? Flavour?
>0 initiative.. They forgot to write it in, right?
>HOLY FUCK 10 DEX
>Fuck
>HOLY SHIT NEGATIVE CON
>FOUR HP
>12 AC, 4 HP, NO INITIATIVE, SHIT SAVES

Point buy is a good choice. Focus on dex and con with wisdom as a secondary priority.

Either way, don't worry too much about your characters stats in your first game.

Rolled straight down.

Better now

>AC 19
Too high for this level, most CR 11 monster doesn't have AC this high, and DMG suggests monster of this challenging rating have 17 AC, and don't forget most of the time the PC are fighting weaker but more numerous enemies. High AC also favors the rogue as GMW is not that useful.

>Barbarian to hit +8
If its a V. Human (optimal choice), it would be +9

>Adv
Barbarians can have advantage when they want

>GMW
When you kill someone you get a bonus attack, you have to consider this

>Reaction
Look at your own table, when you get a reaction attack the damage increase is huge, with PAM OA are a lot more common

>Rogue SA
You can't consider that they will get an sneak attack every attack, sometimes that wil fail (no ally close)

Why does gwm drop in usefulness after 11?

Rolled 1, 1, 5, 3, 4, 3, 4, 1, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 2, 2, 2 = 55 (18d6)

Yeah, rolling straight down is always bad because you get something shit like 9 con

If it means anything you have fantastic stats (minus maybe the con, but what can you do ya'know) for barbarian. Monk is dex based, so you do not gain much of anything for going str monk

Thanks for the advice bud. I'm playing a Devotion paladin, so Sacred Weapon+GWM might be where I'd be going.

You have a good point about ASI though, makes me wish I had more CHA for that sweet Sacred Weapon attack bonus.

Rolls for stat is gay like that.
If your DM allow rolls then point-buy, he is extra gay and encourage min-maxing without penalty. He will probably let you reroll until you get 18 in stat anyway.

rolls for stats is bad. It's only there to satisfy older edition grognards who refuse to play with superior point buy (because they can't cheat). There is a reason why organize play only use standard array or point-buy.

Alright thanks.
I'll try not to fuck it up next time.

It's still too similar, I think. The lack of limitation to casting while raging, and the fact that your casting stat overlaps with your main attacking stat makes it OP. You mentioned earlier that you can't expect to rage every single encounter, but you can rage three times per long rest from level 3 on, and 4 times at level 6 IIRC. That means that you'll have these powers for at least most of your big encounters.

Here's what I think:
1) They aren't sorcerers or wizards and know jack shit about spells, so they can't cast actual spells, but rather have 'spell-like abilities' that use a known spell as a base, but which is delivered in an uncontrolled way. i.e. you can cast Fireball but only when centered on yourself. You can cast Jump, but the excess magical energy in your legs requires you to jump max distance every turn while it's active. Things like that.

2) Maybe even make it luck-based. Give them access to strong spells/abilities, but little control as to which they use. You could use Wild Magic as an idea, but roll for a spell effect every turn while raging.

As it is now there isn't much 'frenzying' involved, since from what I see the optimal way to use your Frenzy Sorcerer is to stand far outside combat and lob spells. That's the opposite of what a Barbarian is supposed to be. If you're not gonna get close you might as well just play a Sorcerer in the first place.

>7 Str
>10 Dex
>9 Con
>11 Int
>12 Wis
>6 Cha

That's a very ugly commoner you rolled there.

>AC should be 17
It varies a lot on the DM, but the difference should be quite trivial. I guess I can change that though since literally all I have to do is type in '17' instead of '19'.

>If its a V. Human (optimal choice), it would be +9
The barbarian with 20 strength you can see in that table have +9 to hit.
The barbarian with 18 strength has +8 to hit.

>Barbarians can have advantage when they want
Reckless attack is already clearly accounted for with anything denoting 'reckless'
I did just realize something important though - reckless attack does not apply to reaction attacks. I'm going to go change that, but that only affects GWM.

>When you kill someone you get a bonus attack, you have to consider this
Already considered, it's why the GWM bonus attack chance is higher than the chance of getting a critical hit. The number is arbitrary, but it's around 0.15 per round before adding on crit chance.

>Look at your own table, when you get a reaction attack the damage increase is huge, with PAM OA are a lot more common
While it's not entirely clear the reactions are due to PAM, the point is that there's an arbitrary value (Usually between 0.33 and 0.6) for reaction attack chance by PAM and otherwise reaction attacks aren't considered (though they're a possibility depending on situation).

>You can't consider that they will get an sneak attack every attack, sometimes that wil fail (no ally close)
It's safe enough to assume you will get it, especially at level 11.

Bumping for help

It doesn't, he's retarded.

If you ever get tempted by the idea, don't ever host a game of more than 4-5 people.

Campaign 1(8 players)

>new DM
>does things to spite certain players;players spite DM in return
>party forms in-group factions between good aligned players and chaotic aligned players
>DM does not know how to balance time between players, giving them ample time and others who spent thirty-five minutes to get here so little

Campaign 2(10 players)

>experienced DM so she runs game pretty smooth
>work with DM to make backstory and character viable with campaign beforehand
>we start
>newcomer next to me decides to be my father, then falls back onto half-brother and insists on it
>do_not_want.avi
>my character is a Halfling Rogue, his is an Aasimar Paladin
>newcomer does stuff that impedes game
>does not understand the tone of the story
>wants to smite the Wizard and chop people's hands off
>uses d100 instead of d20

Just find a small group of good friends and play. In old editions of D&D, big groups are viable, but totally not in 5e.