I used to play 6th.

I'm thinking of getting back into it.
What am I in for?

Buy a swarmlord.

Um any other tipswich?

Is he that good?

Yes.

Buy a second Swarmlord as well.

They are OP again, happy days are here again (until the meta shifts once more...)

Buy a swarmlord, a couple broodlords, and 40-80 genestealers.

>Red pill
no

How fucking swarm you? Do you even swarming know what the swarmlord you are swarming a-swarm? Everyone knows swarmlords come in packs of 3.

Get a swarmlord and a big hierodule or hierophant, then catapult the titan across the field for a turn 1 charge and instant cheese.

they aren't actually that good

just faster

>tfw swarmlord as a general
>but also a second tyrant with 2 pairs of boneswords
>also a flying tyrant with 2 pairs of boneswords
>also a tyranid prime with four boneswords
>and tyranid warriors armed with fourswords
>but also shrikes with bonesfourd

I plan on converting one of these soon

Well, we've gotten faster. Synapse isn't as important as before at 8" range, autopass morale. Instinctive Behavior got tweaked to move/shoot nearest enemy which is fantastic.

If you want to play I recommend grabbing at least 3 Biovores, a Sporocyst, Exocrine and Trygon to round out your Heavy support. Exocrine, Sporocyst and Biovores for shots down range with Sporocyst and Biovores generating spores mines to float menacingly at things. Venomthropes are a nice way to force -1 to hit on your opponents shooting phase. The Pyrovore isn't pants on head now, though I don't see myself using it personally. Grab yourself a Swarmlord and Flyrant plus at least 1 Tervigon. Take Termagaunts at 20 brood size, 10 devourers, 10 fleshborers. Keep them next to your Tervigon as the Tervigon now just pops out up to 10 gaunts per turn, but it is easier to allow it to just replenish the ranks of the nearest brood since it spawns stock termigaunts with fleshborers.

The Red Terror came back in a fun way and I will definitely be using it alongside some Raveners. Gargoyles are still just Gargoyles so take that as you will. I wouldn't worry about Hive Crones when I could just take Harpys and drop MORE spore mines (Which are stupidly fun if I haven't expressed this enough!).

Grab at least 1 Broodlord and stock up on 40 Genestealers and 40 Hormagaunts to round out a fair sized swarm. You can become exceedingly annoying with deployment if your enemy doesn't try fielding you. On the plus side, we have turn 1 assault and unit delete potential that we haven't seen in a VERY long time.

In all seriousness, this.
A rough list is probably the swarmlord, a tervigon. 30 termagaunts, 3 biovores and something you want the swarmlord to slingshot. Tyrant guard are no longer an auto include as swarmy cannot join their squad.

I've found tervigons to be too squishy, points are better downy on more gaunts.

Swarm lists are the more effective archetype for lists. Just put more bodies in the board then they can shoot off.

I'd still recommend
1 Tyrant/Swarmlord
1 Tervigon
20 Termagaunts (10 Fleshborers/10 Devourers)
20 Genestealers
1 Trygon
3 Biovores

Fill in your elites with either Zoanthropes (Get that Neurothrope upgrade!) or a Malaceptor for extra Psychic goodness.
I encourage pulling the Deathleaper and/or the Red Terror if you find characters that just absolutely must die being fielded.

same with flyrants

>Zoanthropes
120 points to cast smite once a turn, pass. just get more biovores or gaunts

That one smite per turn on a neurothrope has made them annoying tanky.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Tervigons kind of a waste of points with reinforcement points being a thing? It seems like it'd be best to start with all of your Gants on the board, rather than losing the Tervigon and therefore your flow of new Gants.

Elite slot can also go to Venomthropes because that -1 to hit in shooting has been fairly useful.

Tervigon can also just replenish the ranks of a single brood, which is heavily encouraged to be 10 Devilgaunts to 10-20 Termagaunt meatshields.

10 Devilgaunts WITH 10-20 Termagaunt meatshields

I had good success having a Trygon Prime burrow up and drop a 30 Devourer Gaunt brood right behind some enemies and unload all 90 shots into a 10 man-unit. Worked out really good. Trygon even shot 12 times with it's Bio-Electric Pulse. It's a really nasty back line surprise to pincer an enemy in.

>Bone/10
300-The Bonelord-Swarmlord
109-Bone lieutenant-Tyranid Prime-2x Boneswords, Adrenals

297-9x Warriors, Boneswords, Deathspitters, Adrenal Glands
297-9x Warriors, Boneswords, Deathspitters, Adrenal Glands
75-3x Warriors, Boneswords, Talons, Adrenal Glands

90-3xShrikes, Boneswords, Talons

1500 points of mid-sized bonery led by big boner. But forreal, warriors are dangerously meaty. I'm really, really hoping they release some new Shrike upgrads because for 30 ppm you have an insanely dangerous, fast-moving, multiwound unit with plenty of decent-ap attacks

Shrikes in the back, Warriors surrounding. Fuck your fallback move, eat Boneswords.

venomthropes don't confer -1 to hit for monsters.

you would almost always lose to dark eldar though, with that list.

>t. Someone who hasn't played 8th
Tyranids are still a bottom tier army. The only change is that rather than every unit except one being total trash now most units are mediocre with only a few being complete garbage.

Thats true throughout the game though-knights are more expensive and trash, tonks are universally more expensive and most are worse, etc. Barring meme conscripts, the only unit thats substantially better than anything else is Boyz.

Time will tell on that count, user.
If nothing else, reversing some of that malicious halfwit Cruddace's inexcusable bastardry will lift the nids from the shared bottom of the pile.

does this look like an auto include only to me?
he provides both synapse and cover even to monsters and can hide behind gaunts if needed

it's just the adaptation wording that looks flawed to me as the enemy could simply start removing casualties from the models near the malanthrope and ending the removal of the models with one that is more than 1" away from him

It costs a buttload, the cover is really small and works on a model-by-model case instead of by units, its a chump in combat with no save and a mediocre weapon. Its only use is a synapse bunker in a swarm list, which a tyranid prime does for half the price.

>Its only use is a synapse bunker in a swarm list
I was more thinking about a monster list
him, some screaming killers and old one eye seem to interact well to me

A) Screamer-Killers, and B) true, but for 200 points i can instead get a kitted tyrant/2 Primes/two-thirds of a swarmlord/most of a Trygon Prime/two more carnifexes now that instinctive behaviour doesnt fuck me in the ass. Also C), the Malanthrope is slow as dogshit and will slow down your deathstar to his measly 5"

I started with the same 2nd ed Codex in OP's picture. Stopped playing about 9 years ago but what I've seen so far has been enough to get me interested again.

Here's what I've gathered so far:

>Some units are faster now (possible T1 charges)
>Genestealers are pure nightmare fuel
>The Swarmlord fucked your mum
>Flying is significantly less necessary now
>Tervigon's don't shit themselves on T2 anymore and reliably pump out buckets of gaunts
>Oh shit, Biovores are packing heat
>Big bugs having more wounds makes Nidzilla lists possibly more survivable
>Synapse bubbles are small but really good
>Fuck your enemy's psykers
>Catalyst is really good

Sanguinius is going to become the Sara Kerrigen for the Hive Mind.
Remember this post.

>A) Screamer-Killers
oh shit, is that you bioform sama?

They are still cute

Nids are great again. Exocrine, Swarmlord, Broodlord and Stealers shine out as the greatest examples, however almost everything is usable

Warriors are usable again, hive guard are improved, trygon is improved, old one eye is back to being a beast, chuck OOE in with some carnifexs and enjoy

>Swarmlord has 7 S8 AP-3 attacks hitting on 2+ and moves 9" with 5++
>Genestealers with broodlord can put out 4 S4 rending attacks hitting on 2+, can move 8 inches, advance and charge
>Even pyrovore now has the longest ranged flamer in the game, acid blood and is cheaper
>Exocrine can shoot 12 S7 D2 attacks at 36 inch range
>Biovores and spore mines cause mortal wounds
>Spore mines don't need to charge to explode, just to be within 3 inches of an enemy

Among many other improvements

What said

20 fleshborer gaunts, with 10 devilgaunts, making a new squad costs points but reinforcing is free, so everytime the enemy kills basic gaunts, just get 10 back next turn

can you spawn gaunts with toxins and adrenals if you are replacing gaunts that had toxins and adrenals?

No, spawned gaunts have fleshborers and nothing else.

Its also the option for nidzilla, venomethropes only buff infantry.

If you can fit them replsce the talons with spinefists on the shrikes. You're not going to fight with the talons anyway a spinefists give you a bunch of extra pistol shots in cc.

Oh, that was a meme list i built to make awful boner puns and show how good warriors are compared to last edition. I only have fifteen, including my three dick-cannon ones, and three of the old shrike conversion kits. Atm i'm running with horde genestealers, distraction melee flyrants and a three-monster carnifex brick with OOE that got serious work done against a friends meganob blob. Hitting on threes, rerolling ones, makes them a serious threat against small, elite infantry. Prolly wont wanna try it against hammernators though

I'm seriously going to need more spore mines. I have a distinctive fear of Necrons this edition. They may be "small and expensive" but fml their rate of attrition is stupid.

I'm somewhat concerned about going against Orks but not enough to do anything about it. I've never met an Ork player who wasn't absolute bro-tier so that'll be a fun game no matter what.