What's the best kind of god?

And why is it a war god?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4SSlsZ_p0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because any god can be a war god if you try hard enough. Gods who are first and foremost war gods are boring.

I love Sun Gods the most. They work well as Gods of compassion, of scholars, of the harvest and of kings. They make exquisite Paladin-bait too, so warriors can worship them.

And there's just something about their iconography, I love me some blazing suns.

What about fun god?

Moon gods are far superior.

If there's a sun god there must be a moon god, often a goddess as the moon is often associated with women.

I like fertility goddesses because they're THEE peasant god. Crops, animals and sex what else do you need?

Which doesn't make a lot of sense really. Warm, life-giving, fertile growing crops would definitely fit a sun mother goddess. Whereas a moon is like travel by night, watchfulness, strangers. Seems like it could be a masculine guarding god.

I guess it comes down to periods, Pelor and maybe Hecate.

>Not gods of fertility

Gods of obscure esoteric shit you wouldn't expect anyone to have gods of.

>What's the best kind of god?
Trickster

>Pelor

Gwyn was another good one.

Dog god

Fertility dumb fucks. Good food and good sex. The fuck else could you want?

I prefer the little gods.

Like the God of the Tallest Tree in the Forest, The Goddess of Forgotten Childhood Toys, and The God of Teaspoons.

Safety, health, lack of oppression by overlords, etc.

Because you are pampered retard who has never been in a fight much less a skirmish much less a war, especially against an occupator, so you think war is fun.
>muh warrior culture

Fuck off child.

Health and fertility go together nicely

The god of life, death and recycling.

are you ok

Technology God

Death and entropy gods

>The God of Teaspoons.
Like spoons used to stir/prepare tea or the teaspoon measurement?

Gods of the Underworld are my favorite type of god

Fucking lol

I prefer Gods that are just unknown and undefined beings who gives 0 fucks about humanity or anything slightly related and are utterly alien.

You should worship the death god/goddess instead.

You'll spend like 50-100 years alive, but then the rest of eternity you'll be dead. Isn't a comfy afterlife better than a comfy life?

spoons used to stir/prepare tea

That way, when your British ranger is away from civilization and uses an arrow to stir his tea, the God of Teaspoons will be there to help him

Unironically this.

Hephaestus was the OG, and most people think of him making weapons for gods and heros, but I like to remember his army of automatons.

Machine gods have a lot of unused potential.

Only if theres something there to make up for all that EDGE.

I love the way Butcher did Hades in the last Dresden book.

Yes.

The God of Teaspoons got a promotion when the teaspoon became an SI unit, and now happily presides over both.

Storm gods are the best. They cover everything you could want: fertility, war, trickster, light(ning), the ocean... plus rain is great

Who hurt you user? Who hurt you?

>When the Storm God is the rape-baby bastard child of the Sea God and the Sky Goddess

You're all wrong(she's the best god)

War looks upon you and laughs.

Storms are the cruel offspring of the churning sea spilling it's water into the sky which is dumped in thick, angry sheets across the landscape!

I really don't want to know what elementalist fanfic looks like in your setting.

God help us, what are hurricanes?

One that's unnervingly inhuman, but despite its distance is still possibly humane.

forest god(desse)s

I'd say anything Greek styled. Your gods are complete dicks, all but one story about them involved rape, murder, and/or incest, and everyone is okay with this.

>God help us, what are hurricanes?

Bite the pillow, he's going in dry.

For real though, the rape is what caused the Storm King, not all subsequent storms. The mythology goes that the Sea God took a liking to his bastard son and goads him into blinding rages at his treatment by the other gods, and when the Storm King's lathered up for a fight he supplies the guy with water.

Jesus Christ how sensible and well-designed. Nice work, user.

>and there I stood, before the machine god
>the god above all others, I knew not what to say, just standing there silently
>the metal monstrosity moved ever gracefully, standing up from his iron throne
>his steam and clockwork mouth opened, and out came the metallic voice of a god
>"You want to know where I come from?"
>nodding my head, I knew that there was something different about this god
>"I was born the day humanity came into the world. The storm god and the fertility god had been here from the beginning, but when as the human mind wandered, I grew stronger. I called to you in your dreams and in your work, I gave whispered in your ear while you daydreamed, and gradually your mind turned to the thing you're best at. Creation. True creation, unlike anything that has ever been done before. You created life from rock and metal, calling them "automatons", and when my call of creation reached it's peak, you created me, a god. Humans are weak, fragile creatures, but you're creations are beyond you. Someday, you will create something beyond a god, beyond anything even the Heavens can comprehend, and when that happens, the rules of this world will change forever."

The Trickster god meme is the shittiest archetype. It's been completely played out since Loki got so popular.

Oh gosh, thanks!

Gods that can be multifaceted - war gods are cool and necessary, but you can't really get much else added to them beyond 'anger' or 'defense of homeland,' which is just a slightly more noble war.

But if you have a god of nature or some such, you can have them have a lot of different aspects and be treated a lot of ways - they are both the danger that lurks in the depths of the woods, and the gentle caress that nurses life into bloom. They can be something to be reviled, feared, appeased, respected, awed, idealized, or even loved, depending on what part of nature you're in or what your relation is to it - a farmer, a hunter, a druid, a man whose family was killed by ents, that sort of thing.

Sure, you could split up a nature deity into separate spheres for forests or rivers or something, and not only can that be done well, but it can even be important - of course hippy wood elves would have fifteen different nature deities compared to humans and dwarves having one or two, because of their close relationship to nature. But it can be so very boring to make each god in a setting one thing, absolutely and only, and splitting them into tinier parts tends to do that. Pelor is always going to be good and kind, Asmodeus is always going to be evil, you get the gist.

So who else is in the pantheon?

I love it when gods are portrayed as petty spiteful pricks.
>if they're so bad why do you worship them?
>what do you mean? they're the gods!

Truth be told, I never got that far. The campaign I was playing in had us playing a depowered God, and I was going to play the Storm King. I recall the Sky Goddess was married to the Sun God, and it was the Sun God's disapproval over his bastard step-son that helps cause the Storm King to simmer with rage, but beyond that? I'm not sure.

It was all my attempts at explaining natural meteorological behavior in mythological terms, like how the Greeks explained the Seasons as Persephone and Hades.

I'm a really big sucker for benevolent gods of death.

Or better yet, gods of death who are burdened with regret and melancholy over every soul they have to reap.

Don't be sad, it just means the idea's still cocked, loaded and ready to be fired into a new setting!

might as well be.

And you aren't, fellow internet reject?

I'm in the process of writing Satur into my setting now.

How was he done?

You know what makes a REALLY GOOD evil technology god? SCP-882 and the Church of the Broken God. Maybe include some SCP-914 and SCP-217 in there to fill out the religion.

Because he teaches us that violence isn't always the answer and disease is the dishonorable enemy of the warrior. In my setting at least. Good hospitals and medics came to be due to his cult's influence. Oh, and his avatar is a formation of 300 armoured and anonymous pikemen.

>teaspoon measurement?

Fellow, you aren't one of those filthy heretics which we beat to death with spoons, are you? ARE YOU?

youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

Tapio for life.

A single omnipotent and benevolent god, just like in real life.

Yeah that guy has a stellar track record of retardation.

Yes
No.

Cernunnos, Nurgle, etc

These are patrician tier gods. Fertility, life cycle, immortality, regeneration, seasons.

Your war gods spawn once in a while, wreck some petty shit then vanish. Life gods will always prosper and rise, and if your god destroys everything you won't be here to witness anything.
War gods are for edgy children and angsty teenagers.

God of lust here
Witness me using these head tilting creatures as prostate stimulator while your godesses service me as living fleshlights.

YEAH, YOU CALLED BRO?

He said a fun god, not a party god.

>What's the best kind of god?
A removed one.

With pic related I'd argue it went the other way around. Or you could be taking a stab at chaos too I guess.

No, i meant, he hates religion. ''Remove god''? This is him saying that every god is shit. I was gonna say ''a dead one'', but that would be even more confusing.

How do you know that you'll spend the rest of eternity being dead? Have you ever been dead?

Death *seems* certain, because we see it come for everyone else, but it hasn't come to me yet. But birth *is* certain, because it already happened.

I cannot know for sure that I will die, but I know that I live.

>And why is it a war god?
Because you're looking at it from the perspective of a comfortable, slightly overweight first-worlder that wants to pretend to be a medieval action hero.

If you really lived in your medieval fantasy simulator, you would be more concerned with the god of convincing other villagers to support your NEET ass.

why_not_both.jpg

youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4SSlsZ_p0

The one has nothing to do with the other.
Either a concept or archetype is good or bad on its own, or it's not. How "played out" it is never really matters.

I love three types of gods the most.

Gods of winter, cold, etc. because they can be brutal beasts or sweet solemn beings.

Gods of rebellion, freedom, etc. because fuck yeah freedom and shit

and the gods of metal because its the most metal god. Both technology metal and the music genre at the same time, because nothing is better then going to war and summoning the avatar of a god of metal. it motivates the troops as well.

Benevolent party god that wishes you well

I've been burned out on polytheistic settings for years, so the setting I'm currently playing in is monotheistic with the GM as god. Any and all divine intervention on behalf of in-game religions is solely at his whim.

>swiss