Sisters of Battle 8th

For like the twenty SoB players out there. How is 8th treating our girls?

Also what is even the point of Eviscerators if power mauls are cheaper. With how wound and save work they do not do much better than the humbler maul to justify the price.

SOB are not bad. The same things that were good before are still good and most of the bad things are still bad. They haven't dramatically changed.

Celestine is near mandatory with how good she is, but that's not a bad thing.
The only thing that is kinda bad is the downgrade to unit size 15 for basic bolter bitches.

Its bad in the sense that a special character is almost mandatory.

Seraphims with Inferno pistol seem to do better than hand flamers.

Honestly, I prefer handflamers. The volume of autohits are huge, you don't need to get within 3" and you can still pile on the damage.
As for Celestine, I'd like a generic version of the Living Saint with broadly the same rules but a few options such as different weapons or modes of travel such as wings/cloak/horse.

>but that's not a bad thing.
It is bad when I don't like to run special characters out of principle. I am very much all about 'your dudes', and in order for this army to be even competitive, i need a character with already established lore and history to play with my army which is an undocumented order. I don't feel I have any business making lore for an established character, so I just don't like taking them.

It's like if I were to play in the Star Wars RPG, I'd rather make my own jedi than play Like Skywalker. I want to establish my own lore and tell my own story.

About the pistols, I actually think both are very attractive choices.The inferno pistols do ok under normal conditions. But in combat, especially against characters, it's an assassination tool. IF someone charges their warlord in a seraphim squad with inferno pistols, he better hope he kills the entire squad off because even just one with those pistols is likely to obliterate any model with 6 wounds or less. Flamer pistols are also another attractive options because flamers are just really good, especially against units with hard to hit rules, and they are good in overwatch, giving you likely more wounds than relying on 6's to hit with any other pistol.

I can see good reasons to take either pistol. Unfortunately I can't see a reason to not take celestine.

I'm pumped to finally be able to use Penitent Engines and Repentias en masse

Idk, the new Canoness is pretty BAMF, especially if you camp her next to a bunch of exorcists.

I did finally order a Penitent Engine for an Inq28 team. I can only hope I can make the rest of their models suitably Blanchtsu and awesome to match.

Too bad they are still rather bad.

Mostly due to over price.

PE with 4+ and no real way to protect that save will die very fast to basic S4 guns

Still, if a squadron ever gets there they can cut down Knights in a round of combat. Unlikely, but certainly a Distraction unit with some teeth.

129 points each.

You can get a BSS or DS with their immolator transprot fully equipped for 110 or less.
Hell a fully equipped retribution squad is about 145 same goes for a full squad of Seraphims.

That's their issue they cost way too much

You don't have to run or model Celestine as Celestine. Im pretty sure people would appreciate seing a heavily converted living saint of your own devising counting as Celestine.

Hi,can you run a SoB/Inquisition team in 8th?

A single one should hurt my own team too much with some houserules.

I suppose I'd also have to build its statline a little if I port it to Inquisimunda.

>Celestine is near mandatory with how good she is, but that's not a bad thing.

It's very much a bad thing to have mandatory special units.

Also Celestine is just badly designed with the way her self-resurrect has a random 1/6 chance to fail for literally no reason. How do you like losing the whole game because of one roll?

129 points is not overcosted. If you think so, then you need to stop thinking in terms of 7e. In 8e all vehicles and walkers got overcosted. The elite dreadnought is 153 points base, compared to how it used to cost in 7e, and I trust the penitent engine to get more killing done.

You are going to see more PEs in sob lists because they are pretty good for what they cost in 8e

Yes. You can take a mix of the 2 in a detachment because they all share the imperium keyword. It works for inquisition primarily because inquisitors and acolytes can embark on pretty much any imperial transport. So you can have sororitas rhinos with a battle sister squad, an inquisitor, and some acolytes with plasmaguns, for example.

I'm really happy so far. Running a mostly sisters list with some thematic guard to support them.

Celestine is op, Seraphim are good since they're mobile enough to charge who they want generally and then shoot them with melta/flamer in cc, and acts of faith are pretty good despite what a lot of people say about them. I popped a land raider in one turn of shooting since I got to shoot twice with one of the units that had meltas.

My army list has 6 command points at 1000, and 14 at 2000. I'm not too worried about celestine failing to come back.

Are Seraphim as good as some people are saying?

They better get the charge in, because if they get charged that turn they only get a pitiful S3 attack, since there's no shooting in the opponent's turn other than overwatch, and AFAIK only an immolator's flamer could overwatch, since the rest have less than a 9'' range. Whcih seems dumb because if there is a weapon one would use against a charging enemy, would precisely be a flamethrower.

Also, a unit that starts its turn inside a transport can't use Acts of Faith, so if we try to taxi them up to the frontline they would have to survive until the next turn to be able to use it.

Not to mention that having to deep strike at over 9'' fucks with everything that isn't a sad bolt pistol.

You only fire pistols in combat when it is your turn and during your shooting phase. So whether they charge or get charged, they are still are getting that s3 attack. You have to wait until your next turn to attack with the pistols.

Also all weapons can fire in overwatch. So all their pistols can. The flamer pistols just auto-hit in overwatch.

It has occurred to me that I can fit all 9 of my immolators into 1500pts. For the glory of the Emperor of course.

Sisters of Battle -1500- 6CP

Battalion

>HQ
Cannoness Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
Cannoness Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

>Troops
Sisters x5 w/Melta x2
Sisters x5 w/Melta x2
Sisters x5 w/Melta x2
Sisters x5 w/Melta x2
Sisters x5 w/Flamer x2
Sisters x5 w/Flamer x2

>Heavy Support
Retributers x5 w/Heavy Flamer x4

>Dedicated Transport
Immolator w/Immolation Flamer
Immolator w/Twin Heavy Bolter

Do remember that you can use your AoF on Seraphim locked in combat ton shoot their pistols. I was locked with a Dread at the start of my turn, AoF to blast it with my inferno pistols, killed it, and then took my 12" move to get ready to assassinate his warlord.

I started up a sisters force at the tail end of 7th, and I'm unsure what else to add going into 8th. Right now I've mainly got a basic battle sister squad with flamers, one with bolters, and a team of melta dominions. I've got a Canonness to lead them as well.

I feel like I need more mobility or range, but I'm not sure i want to go full mechanized with lots of transports.

I know that they always get the S3 attack. What I'm getting at is that if they don't get the charge in, their CQC phase is going to suck badly.

And yes, all weapons can fire in overwatch. But if someone charges from further away than the 6'' range of the hand flamers and inferno pistols, those can't shoot, because they'd be out of range.

So overwatch is rather shit with these, considering that 95% of the time the enemy is going to be further away than 6''.

A Heavy Bolter Retributor squad is a thing of beauty and mathhammer says they are good, so I'd go for that.

Hopefully a rules revision will make overwatch shots always count as in range or something, because I think this problem is sort of against the spirit of what they were aiming for (as well as common sense).

Yeah, HB Retribs seems sweet, getting my hands on enough of them will be the hard part.

Thoughts on Storm Bolted Dominions? I kind of like the idea of having them rush up and unload with a buttload of bolter shots in close quarters.

user for the price of a single PE you can get a tank and a squad fully equipped

In case you didn't notice.

>As for Celestine, I'd like a generic version of the Living Saint with broadly the same rules but a few options such as different weapons or modes of travel such as wings/cloak/horse
that would be cool. and something I'd expect if they ever get a codex.

in the meantime you could make a generic saint counts as celestine.

That's another good point. Very cool.

I did notice. The point is yes, you can get something that has equal firepower to pretty much any walker in points in 8e. All walkers are expensive. But if you want something in your army that can hit really hard in melee, then go with the walkers. I don't think it's fair to compare the price of the PE to something that you can take in your army for less points because the PE fills a different role. This is the same for taking, say, tac marines in a rhino over a dreadnought. Sure the tac marines may have more combined firepower, but the dreadnought fills a different tactical role.

Are handflamers still pistols? Can you shoot them in combat for that extra D6 auto hits? As well as Fly giving them hit and run?
Did seraphim with dual hand flamers just kill the horde meta?

Yes, they're pistols
No, 4d6 S3 hits won't break the horde meta

Even if you get a whopping 24 hits, you're wounding 12 guardsmen and 6 boyz before saves.

Sorry to be that guy, but its 8 boyz. You're right though, the hand flamers are a nice boost to the squad, but not a game changer. My gut tells me the inferno pistol is the bigger deal, especially as an act of faith could let the squad move twice, jumping over troops and shit, and then snipe out a character.

If I had more storm bolters, I'd run at least a squad of 5 of them because 20 sure fire shots is good. Hell, throw a cannoness in there with one to reroll 1s and you're good to go.

Right now, I'm leaning towards flamer doms, HB and flamer rets, and melta troops. Unfortunately, I only have 2 storm bolters, 4 flamers, and 5 heavy flamers, but I do have 8 meltas.

Not to have thread cross contamination but if anyones shagging the SoB its those creepy old dudes behind her and not any Imp Guard, of any rank

Only 2 sisters get the duel special pistols? Fucking lame.

Mathed wrong. No big deal. However, yes. With essentially a 24" move, inferno pistols make Seraphim really good character hunters for the ones that's aren't bubble wrapped.

>only 2
First off, that's how it's been since at least 3rd edition. Second, any more and they would be pushing the levels of overpowered. It's already FOUR meltas or flamers that can be used in close combat, and they're only on 2 models. That's means they're at 4 special weapons even if 8 other ones have died.

This is true. Charging characters does not follow the same rule as shooting them. So flank around, charge the characters you want to assassinate, and use an AoF as soon as you can to get the inferno pistol shots off. At least charging the character locks you out of being shot too. There is a risk of something really hard hitting charging you to protect the character, but you have to do it smartly anyway.

You just move so they're the closest target and shoot them. Then you charge something else if they're a shooty army, or stand there and wait for your chance at some overwatch if they're an assaulty army.

>the PE fills a different role
Dying to lascannons on turn one?

4d6 hits averages at 14 hits (3.5*4) and s3 wounds boys on a 5+. Your average is 4 and 2/3rds boyz before saves.

Indeed they are sadly bad.
You still need 6+ to make them work and since there is no reliable way to make them move faster, some kind of invulnerable, decent save or just Assault after running (advancing)

They will eat at least two turn of shooting and die to overwatch due to how wounded they will be after running for turns.

I have six of this things and it hurts me to see them suck so much.

Sell them on ebay because i still think they rock, especially this edition, and would love to run more.

Just played a game with 3x HB rets w/ a canoness & imagifier and they were fantastic. Getting off 60 HB shots (use those command points for imagifier re-roll) with reroll 1s was absolutely brutal against meq and termies.

Imperial Agents have better options

>Imperial Agents
Who? SoB are under that umbrella. Are you talking about Inquisition Acolytes or what?

>if they don't get the charge in
With acts giving them effectively 24" movement there is very, very little they aren't going to get the drop on. It's true they are a little more feast or famine than a typical chainsword armed unit, But they are simply lethal on your own turns. Particularly if you're using acts to double up all that shooting.

The AoF are decided at the beginning of the turn, even before the movement phase. So either you are already within range, or you would have to survive until your next turn to be able to use it.

But to have a 24'' move they need to be already out of a transport, as AoF are decided at the beginning of the turn and units in transports aren't eligible.

And on the other hand, deepstriking them isn't a very good idea, considering that as they weren't on the table at the beginning of your turn they can't benefit from AoF that turn either, and they would only be able to shoot with their bolt pistols, as inferno and hand flamers are 6''. So they would only be useful if they survive through your opponent's turn.

Also, you can only use AoF to double up that shooting if either A) they found themselves within 6'' of the enemy at the beginning of your turn, or B) they were already locked in combat, because as, again, AoF take place at the beginning of the turn, before the movement phase, you can't get them up close and the choose to have them shoot twice.

Perhaps counter charging? With so many units having non scattering deepstrike, it would be handy to have some tough CQC unit.

The issue with PE is they are 129 points and eat slots for other usefull things.
Unless you fully commit to the gimmick there isn't any useful roll that can be done by something else cheaper and/or better.

Nice paintjobs on those 10 year old models bro

129 is not expensive, and slots is no longer an issue with how detachments work. Of all the lists I've built, I've never had a shortage of a particular slot.

>seraphim
>transport

What did he mean by this?

I don't think they are that pricy for what you get. You just need other threat factors and some cover.

>not saving CP for a reroll.

Also I see this special rule as a bonus not an expectation.

Sometimes you want your 5 T3 ladies unit to make it intact to the frontline.

Jump Pack models can't take the sororitas transports.

You are absolutely right. I can't understand why I didn't stop to htink about that -.-

So I guess the ebst option is to have them start on the table, no deepstrike shenanigans.