Play a polite and soft spoken character

>play a polite and soft spoken character
>people think I'm bad at roleplaying

Are you polite and soft spoken in real life?

yeah

>play an edgy character because I think edgy is funny and entertaining

Well, there's your answer then: people think (and might not be entirely wrong) that you're just playing as yourself.

>play a stereotypical gimli dwarf
i am

>party is just legolas, gimli, aragorn, and pippin
>turns out great and everyone has a blast

>play shitty meme character concepts (dragonwrought kobold dragonfire adept in 3.5, iRobot Promethean in nWoD, Hardboiled Memetective in CoC)
>"wow user how'd you get so good at roleplaying"
I feel like a fraud because my character concepts are all ridiculous and retarded

but people think that 'unusual' = 'well made' apparently a lot.

I am playing a very soft spoken character right now, similar to pic related but without the buff fighter boyfriend.

Before that I played a very outgoing and foul-mouthed barbarian: the trick is to play something outspoken and shit at the start and be fairly sociable outside of the game so that when you are in the game, people will think you are in character when in reality you are more of an introvert as a person, too.

So, basically, your advice is to Roleplay IRL, and be yourself in game.

>but people think that 'unusual' = 'well made' apparently a lot.

this

I mean it's not necessarily wrong because I do try to put some effort into playing the character as close to 'realistically' as possible (considering most of the concepts are outlandish and completely implausible)

No, see, that's unhealthy.

I recommend a mix so you keep it new and exciting. If I played as myself, I'd be depressed as shit, to be honest.

I'm telling you, playing an 18 int character when I am only a 9 int person will probably come back to bite me in the ass later.

low test

yes females are usually low test by design

Tits or GTFO.

yeah, I left that detail out since it wasn't relevant.

>play a polite and soft spoken character
>murder the fuckshit out of evil with such cold ruthlessness everyone is still scared of him despite him being bro and nice to everyone else

Great fun, highly recommend Paladin-ing like such.

“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

There's nothing wrong with speaking softly.

>but without the buff fighter boyfriend.

Do you want one? :3

oh never mind your a girl gross

>loud girl plays completely silent character
>group loves it

>I play completely silent character
>I'm "hardly even playing"

I'm sorry, you must be new here. When a female slyly reveals her gender in a needless or pointless way she is kindly asked to provide tits or gtfo. You seem the type who can't help but reply so should you do so please make sure a timestamped pic is attached to the post and then lurk forever. Thanks.

Stop browsing ED and lurk for 2 years before posting.

You ain't fooling me with that wig, Kirby!

It sounds like the group is just trying to trick their obnoxious friend into shutting her mouth.

>Try to play a calm soft spoken Monk
>Because i'm a flamboyant loudmouth IRL i end up playing him as a flamboyant loudmouth and end up being the party face with my only social skill being insight.
>The others somehow think i'm a great roleplayer.

It's all about contrast like pointed out by these folks;
If yer being close to yourself people usually assume you're not trying. Or it could be as said and the group is just keeping the keet quiet

>play a character that's different from me
>it's forced and feels shitty
>by the end of the first session, the character has just become me

Every time.

Weak retort. I know you can do better, user.

>play mute character because why not, trying something new
>try to roleplay
>get told im bad at it
??? then why

Those are the hardest kind of characters to play for me. I feel like I'm always having to hold myself back from doing stuff I want to do but character wouldn't.

Aah how I miss playing over-the-top characters.

Remember: If you aren't trying to generate a funny so random xd epic greentext story, you're playing wrong! It's probably in the rulebook. I haven't read it but I'm pretty sure it's in there.

Not since like 2010, and not outside of /b/. The new thing is that we've all undergone HRT and have our own tits and dicks anyway. Lurk more, retard.

"Weak" personality characters need to showcase some strong traits. Having some setting specific interests or hang ups goes a long way in making them interesting, otherwise they often come off as bland for lack of opportunity to show themselves off.

Adding to that, does said character have any other defining traits other than being polite and soft-spoken? Because that trait is so vague and meaningless, it doesn't really make a character. You need to flesh it out a bit. Add new traits/characteristics that you yourself don't have. Alternatively, ask yourself *why* the character is soft-spoken and base your roleplay on that. Was she once a slave that was eventually liberated? Then in her behavior in general she will still have very servile tendencies, perhaps tendencies she actively tries to get rid of. Or maybe she was raised an isolated noble, which express itself in utter ignorance of the most basic common knowledge ("wait, so I have to do my *own* dishes?").

>But carry a big stick
If Teddy was a PC, that would already flesh things out. He's not soft-spoken because he's afraid or because of his upbringing or anything. He's simply the kind of guy who avoids conflict but isn't afraid of it. His preferred style of diplomacy would probably be showing his muscle first and then sitting down to discuss terms. That's already roleplay.

>His preferred style of diplomacy would probably be showing his muscle first and then sitting down to discuss terms

He took his friends and enemies out on safari.