>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/11/17/while-mounted-are-all-creatures-within-5-feet-of-your-mount-considered-within-5-feet-of-you/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do I play her in 5e?

champion fighter with magic items

You generally don't play deities, minor or otherwise

>Good in hand to hand combat
>Fights using agility
>Famous for blocking projectiles
>Occasionally uses swords
>Jumps really well
She's a monk. Kensei monk.

Is this how reach weapons work if you're mounted?

Why do dex dependent classes feel so restrictive?
What's the point of taking a STR weapon on ranger?

Aasimar Paladin who uses a whip and shield combo.

Green area being the weapon range, I mean.

Well, I had my first session with my new group. It was okay.

A bit frustrated by the sheer number of people. Apparently, most of the time, about half the group shows up at any given session, but we had 7 people. Four of which basically didn't talk.

I got to RP as just a chatty salesperson. I was a bit pissed off that the Rogue seemed to be able to use Deception to a much greater effect than my Persuasion. Every party member seems to have secret shit and mechanics going on, but that could just me not knowing what all bonuses they get.

I hate combat without a grid. I hate that no one knows how cover works. I hate that the DM uses critical failures on skill checks, even if he is being reasonable about it. I hate how many attacks people seem to be able to make even though no one seems to know what dice apply where.

But all in all, I had a good time. I want to be more bardy, but I'm having a hard time getting the tone right. I want to be gruff, funny but genuinely inspirational. It is a tall order.

Also, the Rogue is totally CN, not TN.

I'm a foreverdm that just got the chance to join a "dark fantasy pirate" campaign. Been awhile (lol) since I played, what's some cool class combinations and such for a pirate?

What's a fun lvl 15 build for a ranger/fighter?

New DM here, are there any online resources that essentially are full of quick references regarding all minutia? Stuff like how chases work, what stats affect actions (jump distance, holding breath, etc.), and every other minute rule I don't immediately remember, in a DM screen format if it exists? I could make this stuff, but I'd prefer not starting from scratch if it already exists.

What are the cultural counterparts of Forgotten Realms nations?

In my experience, I've mostly played with home-brewed settings and come up with them. Now I want to do some adventures in the FR setting soon. I've done some research on my end, and so far, the consensus is pretty much "generic medieval fantasy". The 5e SCAG was a good resource, but has scant information that I'm looking for.

I've come up with a few cultural counterparts myself, and if there are any suggestions feel free to add:

Sword Coast & Moonshae Islands = Medieval Britain
Heartlands(Cormyr, Dalelands, Sembia) =
Cold Lands(Damara, Sossal, Vaasa, Moonsea) = Germany & Scandinavia
The Lands of Intrigue(Amn, Calimsham, Tethyr) = Moorish Spain, North Africa
The Old Empires(Unther, Mulhorand, Chessenta) = Babylon, Egypt, and Ancient Greece/Byzantine Empire respectively

Wa is japan, I forgot the mongolian and chinese and korean counterparts names, but they are there.

Check the github. It has everything you need.

I already have checked it, there wasn't anything like a DM screen reference, I'm just wondering if anyone else has a resource similar to what I need.

Heartlands are french and fantasy places, pretty much literally !shire and the like.

Your request is specific.

Go to the github, find the rules you want, and make your own. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

>I suppose they made a mystic, and now fear it will get nerfed.
It's casterfags fearing that there's a class that finally outdoes them and that it WON'T be nerfed.

You're not going to find a Mysticfag saying "nothing about the class needs to be fixed or nerfed". The autists are the ones screeching REEE PSIONICS DON'T BELONG IN MY FANTASY ELF GAME even though they've got more historical representation outside of fucking Tolkien and especially in the kinds of stories that D&D was made to emulate.

Eh, I suppose; I was just hoping I didn't have to make a bunch of reference sheets like I had to make cards for all the spells and cantrips. C'est la vie

DMing may not be for you, half of prep is making reference sheets.

>I hate that the DM uses critical failures on skill checks
what's so bad about that?

Star Wars, get out.

dndbeyond.com

Not Star Wars, that's just a fucking samurai story.

>UA Ranger
>Shield Master, Spear Master UA
Beast Master, Hunter or Primordial Guardian?
Or is this idea just garbage?

>As a bonus action on your turn, you can increase your reach with a spear by 5 feet for the rest of your turn.

Pick Hunter. Go Bugbear. 20ft reach.

>roll a 1 on acrobatics
>you break your legs

disregard this, i am retarded. spear does not have reach, i was thinking of a different weapon.

still, my advice sticks. go Hunter.

Really depends on what you were doing

Jumping over a roofs, yeah i'd expect you to break your legs

but doing a little jig or something i'd expect something comically funny to happen if you'd roll a 1

that's what the dm should do

can't have no reward if there's no risk

>awhile (lol)

Hey /5eg/, are there any decent modules to run for kids? I just got back home from my last year at college, and my little brother and sister (12 yo and 14yo, respectively) want me to run a campaign for them and one of the neighbor's kids over the summer since I've been sending them stories over the last few years about my campaigns

>awhile (lol)

Which is more useful, Fog Cloud, or Detect Magic?

Lost Mines. Almost always the best first recommendation.

I'm shoving a small secret dungeony thing under the church my players have decided to occupy as their own, since they're renovating it and I like the idea of them discovering something interesting as a result.

So far I've dropped a couple of extra plot hooks in there using the main room as a meeting chamber, but I was wondering what else I might fill it up with. It's sort of a crypt, but I'm willing to do whatever with it.

Anyone got any floating ideas they've wanted to put in a place irrelevant to everything else?

I've already been prepping for the past week, it's no skin off my teeth, I just didn't want to do more if resources were already available.

Giving advice may not be for you, half of helping a DM is not telling him to give up

Deception should generally result in better results than persuasion, but be more risky.
Secret shit and mechanics and all that I could easily explain if I was there since I actually know all the rules.
Attacks, depends what level you are but level 1-4 usually you make either one attack or two attacks with a feat, level 5+ you're making two attacks or three attacks with a feat.

Not having a grid sucks. People not understanding the very simple concept that is cover / prone sucks.

Critical failures on skill checks are like says.
Critical failures should only happen if there's something to critically fail at. I find it ridiculous that people get mad because critical failures exist when they should do, 'How DARE my actions have consequences if things just happen to not go my way!' they say, firing an arrow into a dense crowd of people at an enemy and hitting someone who isn't the enemy. If it's 'there's only one other person standing 15ft away from your target but you hit them accidentally' then yes, that's fucking stupid.

As for being more bardy, I don't know. Carry a book of poems with you?

You said you were new to it, so I was just letting you know that its gonna be a lot of prep and you sounded like you weren't enjoying prep.

Primeval Guardian. You can be the king of trees.

Yes yes, awhile, like 4-5 years.

So, any unorthodox pirate ideas?

It really seemed to be more useful because he could use deception against the party, but I feel weird using persuasion against the party.

We're level 5. The bird person seemed to do like 3 attacks, adding sneak to one of them and not others. Which makes sense, but seemed to confuse him.

The halfling rides a panther and seems to have like 5 attacks. One of which deals additional cold and one which knocked someone prone.

Funny you picked the one scenario where crit fails do exists, attack rolls. I just don't care for it. I don't like crit successes for skill checks either, but it has all been within reason.

It needs to be pithy and not pretentious poetry though. I'll look into it.

>5e
>playing a mountain dwarf martial (rip)
>tired of doing scottish accent
>start losing interest in character's story/motivations (recover clan artifact, fulfill oath, etc)

wel'p

There's no real point to it, but if you just want to play 'for fun', I guess go ahead?

Just start doing the scottish accent again, no?

Problem solvered.

>Been [adverb: awhile] since I [verb: played]
>Awhile means a short time, not 4-5 years
>use of 'lol' on Veeky Forums

You could just do the boring thing and play a swashbuckler / rogue with hand crossbow refluffed as pistol.

pls respond

Thanks, good resource!

>Getting bored of playing a dwarf
>Ever

I'm just trying to think of something interesting for a Ranger. But the class just seems so lame.

Has anyone played or had an artificer played in their campaign? If so, how was it?

sageadvice.eu/2016/11/17/while-mounted-are-all-creatures-within-5-feet-of-your-mount-considered-within-5-feet-of-you/

Hey, so for Barbarian's Rage feature, it says Rage grants advantage for Strength checks and Strength saving throws.

Does "Strength checks" include attack rolls based on Strength?

short swords are in fact a monk weapon.

>Does "Strength checks" include attack rolls based on Strength?

Reckless Attack

Metagame wise it's just a variant fighter that works best with archery and at level 11 differs from fighter by having an at-will AoE instead of making more attacks and also at level 3 getting a bit of AoE there too.
So eh.

You can go melee on a ranger, but there's no benefit over being ranged instead. Also, shield master and spear master kinda conflict because bonus action economy. And PAM would probably be better.

Christ, that's shitty.

no, a strength check is something like Athletics

I know I was thinking this too when I made a barbarian

How the hell can you possibly attack then unless you're using a weapon with reach or ranged?

Psionic Restoration lets me remove diseases. Is lycantrophy concerned?

Do a ride-by. The horse doesn't take all of the space, nor do you or your enemy take all of their space.

Werewolves are so fucking gay

English ain't my first language and I write what I want, regardless of "Veeky Forums culture" or whatever you're referring to.

Problem is you are going to be shit with a spear unless you can use it with Dex.

The feat is clearly designed with the monk class in mind.

Lycantrophy is more of a curse than a disease, so most likely not.

Can you move into an enemy's space? how does that work exactly?

Technically, no, not without rules like overrun.

However, no reason you have to follow that exactly when it makes sense and the DM would be stupid to tell you 'no'. You wouldn't even really be in their space, just getting closer for an attack.

Ultimately the difference is that you're probably in the centre of the mount and thus cover 5ft radius which only ends up covering parts of some squares so chances are enemies that are diagonal to you might not be in your threat range.

Is the Eldritch Invocation: Improved Pact Weapon as useless as it seems? I mean you can just get a normal focus and a magic weapon that you find as your pact weapon.

>Lycantrophy is more of a curse
Lycanthropy is a gift.

its useful for the invocation weapons

Lore Bard 6, War Cleric 2, Warlock 1, leveling up from there would 1 more in Cleric, 2 more in Warlock, and the rest in bard. Does it seem like a solid build?

Those don't exist anymore.

That's what I thought, based on how the book was using ability checks. Seems fair to me, Rage already seems to be pretty good.

In the new UA it also makes your weapon an arcane focus, which can be useful

How? Arcane focuses are just items you can buy or start with, right?

I'm having the overall antagonist of my world be the Gith Queen Lich Vlaakith. However I don't know too much about her and although she may be different in my world than in the fluff, I preferably would like her to resemble her canon self. I know she's in her own adventure model but I can't find a pdf of it. I know she's basically a wizard on crack, but what other special features does she have/know?

That doesn't make any sense. In the phb size refers to an area the creature controls not the actual size. It's only logical to assume you could steer the horse slightly left or right within that space.
If it was a huge creature, that explanation would make more sense.
I would rule to be correct if you're on a horse or similar.

Anyone?

you need to hold your focus

By that logic, if you're on a 50ft horse you can make an attack against an enemy 25ft away from you with a club and then 25ft to the other side with a club then 25ft to another side with a club and so forth.

Of course, for normal play it's easier to rule it how you've said, but I think having a seemingly reduced attack area makes sense and it encourages people to use polearms while on a horse.

No. What, why? What are you trying to accomplish?

No that's why I claimed if you're on a huge creature 15x15ft or larger, it would make more sense, as you're probably sitting on the neck of a dragon for example. But with the 10x10ft creatures you're stuck in this awkward halfsquare centre.

The answer is probably to fit the large creature onto a 5x5 space instead of trying to fit you into a 10x10 space.

11 levels archer battle master. Hand Crossbow, Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter.

4 levels hunter ranger because I guess

So basically without that Invocation, I can't wield a two handed pact weapon and also cast a spell that is somatic and requires materials / a focus?

>Goblin
>UA Ranger-Beast Master, Fighter-Cavalier
>Spider companion
Can I become a spider knight or is it too gimmicky?

Possibly. However i think the interesting question with the reach, as I'm assuming he's using a lance; Can you ride by a guy with a sword and hit him with your lance while staying out of his reach?

I'd say yes, because your horse is probably going to be about 7.5ft away on attack instead of 5ft away.

I'd go for deep gnome but you do you

>I can't wield a two handed pact weapon and also cast a spell that is somatic
You can, removing just one hand from your weapon to cast a spell is a free action

>and requires materials / a focus?
Yes, you need the focus, OR you can get a component pouch, this way you don't need a focus.

so
Component pouch > arcane focus

My party is in serious need of a really diverse support role, I figured it would give me access to a lot of utility

But what about somatic requirements? They require a free hand right? So you can't wield both a focus and a weapon?

>Two handing weapon
>remove one hand from the weapon as a free action
>cast the spell
>hand back to the weapon

The advantage of a focus is that you can use it for somatic components at the same time as using it as a material component (but not use it as a somatic component if you're not using it as a material component)

Let's just say that Crawford would be out of his goddamn mind if lycantrophy could be cured by a level 3 mystic

Can it be cured by a parahpt of health

Gnomes probably fit spider riders more, honestly. But I guess a goblin could work since they are used as slaves by the drow to milk silk from spiders

I got an idea from a video (other user's here probably know the one) that I'm gonna be running for my brothers this month. Really simple, basic idea, nothing fancy.

>level 1 party
>blacksmith's daughter kidnapped by goblins
>group has to track them down
>has to roll checks to follow the tracks or talk to the townsfolk enough to know where to go
>have to travel northeast through the forest
>the goblins have taken over the ruins of an old outpost of knights from a fallen kingdom
>there is a group of 2 goblins outside the door lazily keeping watch
>there is also a group of 2 goblins patrolling the area, but the party won't know that
>depending on what they do or how they act they'll either encounter the patrol or won't
>if they encounter the patrol as soon as one goblin dies the other will begin running to warn the others, including the guards at the entrance
>if they don't encounter the patrol they will ambush them in the next encounter inside of the dungeon
>the dungeon itself is short, with about 5 simple rooms
>1st room is a normal entrance with paintings on the walls
>2nd room is an offering room with a hint to a puzzle at the end in front of the bowl, as well as paintings detailing what the order of knights was like
>continuing onwards triggers a pressure plate trap, shooting arrows against the leader of the party
>as they continue to the third room 3 goblins will be there