/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Kosovo Maiden Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/la6j94zart0qqd9/Osprey - MAA 140 - Armies Of The Ottoman Turks 1300-1774.pdf
mediafire.com/file/h6cb4bqlewvb78i/Osprey - MAA 195 - Hungary and the Fall of Eastern Europe 1000-1568.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMX-13#Service_History
mediafire.com/file/41gca41w3h21z0m/[Scale_Modelling]_-_FAQ_of_the_AFV_Painting_Techniques_by_Mig_Jimenez.pdf
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3986/battle-germany
mega.nz/#F!r9dxwA5S!bKjePzZxre9NNIZlFpfpRg
mediafire.com/folder/a4g0lga7by1o2/Car_Wars
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/87/victory-blocks-war
boardgamegeek.com/thread/620547/best-4-player-wargame-entertain-few-newbies
mega.nz/#!vwMngZbR!91OrqgI5u2imvHC6h-8IgHkHyHmXZ997crB9O6tXhqw
assaultpublishing.com/sturmovik-commander/
store.warlordgames.com/collections/british-airborne/products/british-airborne-starter-army
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

June the 15th in military history:

923 – Battle of Soissons: King Robert I of France is killed and King Charles the Simple is arrested by the supporters of Duke Rudolph of Burgundy.
1184 – King Magnus V of Norway is killed at the Battle of Fimreite.
1219 – Northern Crusades: Danish victory at the Battle of Lyndanisse (modern-day Tallinn) establishes the Danish Duchy of Estonia.
1312 – At the Battle of Rozgony, King Charles I of Hungary wins a decisive victory over the family of Palatine Amade Aba.
1389 – Battle of Kosovo: The Ottoman Empire defeats Serbs and Bosnians.
1410 – In a decisive battle at Onon River, the Mongol forces of Oljei Temur were decimated by the Chinese armies of the Yongle Emperor.
1775 – American Revolutionary War: George Washington is appointed commander-in-chief of the Continental Army.
1808 – Joseph Bonaparte becomes King of Spain.
1859 – Pig War: Ambiguity in the Oregon Treaty leads to the "Northwestern Boundary Dispute" between United States and British/Canadian settlers.
1864 – American Civil War: The Second Battle of Petersburg begins.
1864 – Arlington National Cemetery is established when 200 acres (0.81 km2) around Arlington Mansion (formerly owned by Confederate General Robert E. Lee) are officially set aside as a military cemetery by U.S. Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton.
1936 – First flight of the Vickers Wellington bomber.
1940 – World War II: Operation Ariel begins: Allied troops start to evacuate France, following Germany's takeover of Paris and most of the nation.
1944 – World War II: Battle of Saipan: The United States invade Japanese-occupied Saipan.
1996 – The Troubles: The Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) detonates a powerful truck bomb in the middle of Manchester, England, devastating the city centre and injuring 200 people.
2014 – Pakistan formally launches military operation against the insurgents in North Waziristan.

It is 628 years since the Battle of Kosovo, fought between the army led by the Serbian Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović, and the invading army of the Ottoman Empire under the command of Sultan Murad Hüdavendigâr. The battle was fought on the Kosovo Field, in the territory ruled by Branković, in what is today Kosovo. Its site is about 5 kilometers (3.1 mi) northwest of the modern city of Prishtina.

Reliable historical accounts of the battle are scarce. The bulk of both armies were wiped out in the battle; both Lazar and Murad lost their lives in it. Although Ottomans managed to annihilate the Serbian army, they also suffered high casualties which delayed their progress. The Serbs were left with too few men to effectively defend their lands, while the Turks had many more troops in the east. Consequently, one after the other, the Serbian principalities that were not already Ottoman vassals became so in the following years.

Murad's army numbered from 27,000 to 40,000 fighters. These included no more than 2,000 Janissaries, 2,500 of Murad's cavalry guard, 6,000 sipahis, 20,000 azaps and akincis, and 8,000 troops from his vassals, although they did not participate in the battle. The Ottoman army was supported by the forces of the Anatolian Turkoman Beylik of Isfendiyar.

Lazar's army numbered from 12,000 to 30,000. According to a Yugoslav encyclopaedia (1972), there were approximately 30,000 fighters present; 12,000 to 15,000 were under Lazar's command, with 5,000 to 10,000 under Vuk Branković, a Serbian nobleman from Kosovo, and just as many under the nobleman Vlatko Vuković, who had been sent by the Bosnian king Tvrtko I Kotromanić. Also present were Knights Hospitaller led by the Croatian knight John of Palisna. Several thousand were knights. Furthermore, there have been several anachronistic accounts which have mentioned that the "Christian army" of Lazar was far greater, and that it also included contingents of other nations, although these cannot be verified.

Serbian and Turkish accounts of the battle differ, making it difficult to reconstruct the course of events. It is believed that the battle commenced with Ottoman archers shooting at Serbian cavalry, who then made ready for the attack. After positioning in a wedge formation, the Serbian cavalry managed to break through the Ottoman left wing, but were not as successful against the center and the right wing.

The Serbs had the initial advantage after their first charge, which significantly damaged the Ottoman wing commanded by Yakub Çelebi. When the knights' charge was finished, light Ottoman cavalry and light infantry counter-attacked and the Serbian heavy armour became a disadvantage. In the center, Serbian fighters managed to push back Ottoman forces, except for Bayezid's wing, which barely held off the forces commanded by Vlatko Vuković. Vuković thus inflicted disproportionately heavy losses on the Ottomans. The Ottomans, in a ferocious counter-attack led by Bayezid, pushed the Serbian forces back and then prevailed later in the day, routing the Serbian infantry. Both flanks still held, with Vuković's drifting toward the center to compensate for the heavy losses inflicted on the Serbian infantry.

Historic facts say that Vuk Branković had seen that there was no hope for victory, and fled to save as many men as he could. He fled after Lazar was captured, but in songs, it is said that he betrayed Lazar, and left him to death in middle of battle rather than after Lazar was captured and the center suffered heavy losses. Sometime after Branković's retreat from the battle, the remaining Bosnian and Serb forces yielded the field.

As the battle turned against the Serbs, it is said that one of their knights, later was identified as Miloš Obilić, pretended to have deserted to the Ottoman forces. When brought before Murad, Obilić pulled out a hidden dagger and killed the Sultan by slashing him, upon which the Sultan's bodyguards immediately killed him.

Both armies were annihilated out in the battle; both Lazar and Murad lost their lives, and the remnants of their armies eventually retreated from the battlefield. Murad's son Bayezid strangled his younger brother Yakub Çelebi upon hearing that their father had died, becoming the sole heir to the Ottoman throne. The Serbs were left with too few men to defend their lands effectively, while the Turks had many more troops in the east. Consequently, the Serbian principalities that were not already Ottoman vassals became so in the following years, one by one. Furthermore, in response to Ottoman pressure, some Serbian noblemen wed their daughters, including the daughter of Prince Lazar, to Bayezid. In the wake of these marriages, Stefan Lazarević became a loyal ally of Bayezid, going on to contribute significant forces to many of Bayezid's future military engagements, including the Battle of Nicopolis. Eventually, the Serbian Despotate would, on numerous occasions, attempt to defeat the Ottomans in conjunction with the Hungarians until its final defeat in 1459 and again in 1540.

The Battle of Kosovo is particularly important to Serbian history, tradition, and national identity.

This is a historic Balkans medieval battle, with a lot of tabletop potential. Two diverse and colorful armies meeting on a (relatively) even footing, with the details vague enough to allow for some variation.

mediafire.com/file/la6j94zart0qqd9/Osprey - MAA 140 - Armies Of The Ottoman Turks 1300-1774.pdf
mediafire.com/file/h6cb4bqlewvb78i/Osprey - MAA 195 - Hungary and the Fall of Eastern Europe 1000-1568.pdf

AMX-13 and the armored car that share the turret are both cute as hell. Any recommendation for system/conflicts to use them in?

I believe the Israelis made extensive use of them during the six day war

Arab-Israeli Wars, Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 or anything involving Francophone nations in Africa. Very common in South America too, any hypothetical Cold War/modern scenario would have seen a lot of them in action there.

Along with the others mentioned, ISTR Libya losing several in Chad to "technicals".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMX-13#Service_History

brilliant fucking design. 12 round drum magazines allowed quick engaging of enemies but once the shells were fired the tank had to withdraw to a safe place so the crew could get out and reload the drums from the outside.

but it was designed to be a paradrop vehicle meaning that it would be dropped behind enemy lines so the chances of finding a safe sport were limited

only the french

yes thats sarcasm

that being said..it was a pretty bad ass vehicle despite its flaws.

They're French. There's about a 50/50 chance that those few paratroopers and tanks would own the fuck out of everyone and still have a shell left for emergencies.

Since someone in the old thread asked for the AK Interactive FAQ:

I don't have it, but here is the FAQ by Mig Jiminez. Should be just as informative as the AK version.

mediafire.com/file/41gca41w3h21z0m/[Scale_Modelling]_-_FAQ_of_the_AFV_Painting_Techniques_by_Mig_Jimenez.pdf

I tried on board game general but they punted over here. What are some wargames (non-mini, hex-and-counter preferred but block accepted) that are relatively easy to teach to non-wargamers, can easily be played >2 people individually or in teams, have a set up+play time of 2 hours or less, and can be found for $50 or less?

I know It's a lot of restrictions, but I really have no one to play this type of wargames with in person so I'm trying to convert my board game group. I talked with them about trying some out, but it seems anything with a long play time or complicated rulebook scares them off. Some ideas I have are old Avalon Hill games like Anzio or Caesar's Legions, which have relatively simple rules. However, they're not conducive to multiple players. Battle of Germany has some unique mechanics to play up to 4 people; I haven't played it myself to know if it works well in that regard. BGG also rates 4 players as Not Recommended. Almost every game in the COIN series supports up to 4 players, but I've heard those are a lot to take in for regular wargamers and I haven't tried any yet.

>Battle of Germany
Do you mean the GDW WW3 game, or some other title?

We have folders literally full of old hex and counter stuff but the difficulty level varies wildly. A lot of the Strategy and Tactics games are pretty straightfoward, especially because some of them (ACW for example) share the same system. Again they're largely two-player only but you can always subdivide the forces for other players. Campaign for North Africa can have six players and two umpires, but you won't be playing that.

The SPI one, which was published in Strategy and Tactics at first before getting a box release
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3986/battle-germany

Subdividing a two player game is something I'm willing to do, but I'd rather not. I feel like it would be more fun to them if they could control their own side. And I'm kind of a sucker for box releases over ziplocks.

In that case I might suggest GDW's WW3 series (up in the GDW folder there). Battle for Germany is a relatively noob-friendly, strategic-level h&c game; it could be wrapped up in a few hours (especially if things go nuclear) and different players could take different nations on the NATO/Warpac sides.

Otherwise have a dig through the folders; if you find an interesting title check out what BGG has to say and give it a look. Also there's some non-/hwg/ stuff in there like War Of The Ring, which would be worth a look.

>kind of a sucker for box releases over ziplocks.
Funny you should say that because I was going to suggest a look at the Microgames series:
mega.nz/#F!r9dxwA5S!bKjePzZxre9NNIZlFpfpRg

On that note have you considered something like Car Wars or OGRE?

I'll check out GDW's WW3 and the folders then. War of the Ring is not a short game so I wouldn't play it until we had a chance to play some shorter games. I haven't heard of Car Wars before, but it seems like a bit much for a newbie. OGRE is a good choice that I completely forgot about. I don't think I've even thought about the game in several years. Not that it's a bad game, just it doesn't seem to be mentioned much since that kickstarter.

>I haven't heard of Car Wars before, but it seems like a bit much for a newbie
I played it a lot as a young 'un and probably skipped most of the complexity, but I still think it's work a look, for a quick night's entertainment. Use the basic rules, give everyone a stock car, and then set them on the track for some hilarity.

mediafire.com/folder/a4g0lga7by1o2/Car_Wars

Perry now sell their Travel Battle sprues individually so if you have a set and want to expand it you don't need a whole other box.

The terrain boards are also available, which is pretty interesting.

I played that one when it was new. It's a race for Berlin, and every German unit lost on the Eastern front respawns in the West & vice versa (2-player). Russian player also plays the Germans in the West.
Quite a neat solution to make a 2-player game of that campaign.

And there's always Diplomacy, of course

>The SPI one, which was published in Strategy and Tactics

Great game. can be played pretty easy with up to 4 people. 1 allied, 1 soviet, 2 german, pretty new player friendly. Honestly any of Dunnigan's works would do pretty well. he did a lot of low complexity games.

OGRE may be a great idea. straight forward rules and pretty simple. give each player their own OGRE and let them beat the crap out of each other. And who doesnt love chucking tactical nuclear munititons at friends

maybe look at 'Victory-The Blocks of War' from Columbia Games. Its a light WWIIish game
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/87/victory-blocks-war

and even BGG has a forum thread on some good 4 player games
boardgamegeek.com/thread/620547/best-4-player-wargame-entertain-few-newbies

I'm not sure I'd call Diplomacy a proper wargame. The meat of the game is the negotiations and backstabbing and the actual combat is extremely simplistic.

If you're willing to go SF, then Ogre/GEV is a lovely introductory wargame. Super-simple, fun, and really replayable.

Downside: The latest edition core box only has the Ogre set-up, with one side getting a giant cybertank or two and the other getting a conventional force. It's a cut-down version of Ogre Designer's Edition, which has full forces for both sides. There is an expansion for the latest edition which expands both sides with ogres for the blues and conventionals for the reds.

Well, that, and it's a science fiction game rather than historical. It is a really nice little hex & chit tankgame at heart.

Anyone ever scan the rules for that? I know one of the earlier reviewers posted high-res photos of the entire booklet, but they took the photos down. :(

Yea, even if we don't play it as a group I'm going to pick up a copy because it seems very interesting. I'm definitely giving Ogre a good consideration, it does seem to meet all of my wishes. Thanks for that thread link, it's a great resource.

I don't think Diplomacy is a wargame either, but one we'll probably play it at one point.

Ogre is a great game. I used it to teach ratios and other mathematical concepts to my nephews while they were in grammar school. They loved the ONE BIG TANK concept and handling only one counter, albeit with a shit ton of weapon choices, made things easy for them.

As much as I love Orge, I'd recommend the "sequel" GEV as a "beer & pretzels" game. Both side get a mix of forces with or without Ogres and there is more than one scenario. It's also so quick, you can switch sides and play again in a single evening.

In my minis-group we usually have a GEV game being played on the side during bigger matches.

>I don't think Diplomacy is a wargame either, but one we'll probably play it at one point.

yeaaaaaah. may not want to do that. lots of bad experiences with that game. some people cant handle it....

Alright dudes. New to historical games. Want to do something dark ages, or early medieval. There's the stuff from fireforge and saga, of course, but are these any good? Are there any other good systems? Cheers

>yeaaaaaah. may not want to do that. lots of bad experiences with that game. some people cant handle it....
otoh It's probably one of the best board games I've ever played.

people who can't separate a board game from their real life feelings of betrayal should reconsider their emotional state.

I'm 24 and I have already lost one in our group to the Diplomacy Menace. How many more will fall for the sickle of death?

Warhammer: Bretonnia.

Never forget

I played it thrice over the internet and twice in real life with my group, and nobody ever got super mad or left.

Its very good.

For the most part SAGA is the go-to for early medieval era stuff. It's not very 'hard' historical but has an advantage in that the game system itself is quite good, with a decent gimmick that makes each army play differently, and obviously so without having to get into the gritty details.

Another option would be Dux Britanniarum which is an interesting system, though aimed earlier than SAGA in an early post-Roman Britain, and is centred on campaign play and attempting to build up the force/reputation where as SAGA is more one-off battles. Same sort of scale as SAGA though.

I never got into chit-based wargaming. I only ever played two games and both were pretty easy to understand for a non-chit-wargamer like me.

First was Memoir '44, which I found...lacking? I was underwhelmed. What I saw was just too "simplistic" for me, I guess. Maybe I should've given it another try with another setup, but meh.

Second was Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear. To me this one felt more interesting and challenging and actually made me wanna play more. A look into the scenario book seemed like it would progress nicely in rising complexity, too.

And since people mentioned Diplomacy, I'm gonna say Dune / Rex.

Shit man, I played Brets in the warhams. I miss them.

Thanks fella. I've heard of Dux Belloru, but I'll check it out properly. I'm not too interested in super soft historical games but as there doesn't seem to be a huge choice, you gets what you gets I guess.

Thanks chaps

>Dux Belloru

Note that Dux Bellorum =/= Dux Britanniarum, they are different games with annoyingly similar names.

>I miss them.
me2

But now we can drink from chalices 'n shit for rerolls, fun stuff, eh?

Got my hands on some 1/300 ww2 aircraft, What are some good games to play with them? Also what colours did late war ija planes have?

Gold and Sword beaches..at 40 yds per hex for the ASL/ATS systems....11 feet of map

Reminds me of setting up the whole of GDW's Third World War series together

Okay we're getting there.

Now if someone could become Napoleonic Battlefront and start making 15mm in plastic that would be fandabidozi.

Is 1/48 "truescale"? And is it good for 28mm games? I find I don't like heroic scale ww2 infantry, and I love ww2. Does anyone know of any truescale brands that are good for say German and Russian infantry?

You could try Check your 6, Lacquered Coffins or Bag the Hun. CY6 and Bag the Hun are hex based, Lacquered coffins isn't and is more simple.

For colors, just google image search the specific aircraft and see what kind of colors you want to go for. It wont make too much of a difference what period it is. You might need to find a book on aircraft markings to work that out. No one will really notice though.

Group finder time

Post your city, FLGS, and what historicals people play there

To start off

San Luis Obispo, CA (on the central coast). Captain Nemo's Games and Comics. So far, only Bolt Action and one guy who likes Advanced Squad Leader, but I'm hoping to use BA to lead into the group getting into other historicals. We've got a grand strategy BA campaign going already.

I'd spend buckets of money on that.

Depends what you're looking for. Do you have a friend to game with? If not, you'll want a solo-friendly system like Bag the Hun or a similar system with no pre-plotting.
Do you have a hex tablecloth? If not you'll want to avoid games like BtH and Check Your 6 that use them.
Do you want to field large formations of planes? If so a game like CY6 might be better.

Tamiya did both in plastic I think, even some Early French. Also, look for "1/48 Combat" or something, think they did figures too along with a ruleset.

I really like 1:48 figures from model manufacturers - lots of detail, good poses for the most part and good anatomy. Fuck if I know why it's a somewhat rare scale.

Chevauchee and Warlord might fit the bill for you. One's low figure count skirmish stuff with a lot of RPG and campaign elements thrown in for good measure. Warlord's still in development but looks pretty cool.

If you go for 1/48 minis for scale modellers they are as true scale as it can be i think.

Tamiya has sets for all the "big players" of ww2. Not even that expensive either.

Quality of these minis is not bad, only the faces are lacking i think.

Dust 1947 does 1/48 miniatures as well, most of them being sci-fi/what-if though. Some of the sets can be used with some conversion work i think.

Pic related shows the proportions of a 1/48 Tamiya soldier next to a Warhammer 40k soldier. You get the idea.

>Fuck if I know why it's a somewhat rare scale.

Its rare because modelers mainly focus on 1/35 and/or 1/72 for ground stuff.

1/48 is 90% an aircraft scale.
Tamiya is the only big company doing ground vehicles in that scale with only like 5 smaller companies doing maybe 5-10 kits each in 1/48 too.

If Tamiya ever decides to stop doing 1/48 military vehicles, the scale will die (for military builders, planes are totally fine obviously).

Same with 15mm Ancients... one can dream

What the others said, plus:
Sturmovik Commander
Scramble!
Air Force (actually chit-based, but you could probably easily play with minis)

Would any body kindly post some well painted and modeled 28mm Dark Ages models and warbands for inspiration please?

Cheers, I take these are in the folders? I'm thinking of using brass rods to base them or is there a better option?

Here's CY6
mega.nz/#!vwMngZbR!91OrqgI5u2imvHC6h-8IgHkHyHmXZ997crB9O6tXhqw
Air Force should be in the Avalon Hill folder; hopefully Scramble!, Bag The Hun and Sturmovik are all in the WW2/Games folder, although they're not hard to find elsewhere online.

>tfw everything Napoleonic and Ancients done already in 1:72 and readily available
???

but they all pretty much suck..

For sure.

not bad but some funky poses that are really toy soldier-ish there.

>Here's CY6
Nice! Was just looking for it.
>Air Force should be in the Avalon Hill folder; hopefully Scramble!, Bag The Hun and Sturmovik are all in the WW2/Games folder, although they're not hard to find elsewhere online.
Air Force (+expansion) and Scramble! are indeed in there.
Sturmovik Commander is free and can be found here:
assaultpublishing.com/sturmovik-commander/
The copy of Bag the Hun in the ww2 folder is sadly only the old first version, which is very barebones and like under half the size of the second version.

I'd be interested in a copy of the Fighting Wings games (Over the Reich, Achtung Spitfire, Whistling Death, Buffalo Wings). They're similar to Air Force, I believe.

Probably because I've included some Airfix figures there that were intended as toys in the 1970's.

How many players does that monster need?

Does anyone here play bolt action? I have a few questions.

>1:72 is a good scale
>1:72 is a similar scale to 15mm
1) 6mm is the best scale
2) 1:72 doesn't fill the same niche as 15mm.

What do you want to know?

I saw a similar map set up covering the omaha east and west zones done at a con in dallas a couple years back. they had 12 players on it covering the entire landing.

I'm happy to field any question you have.

Lots of grognards are bitter about the game's popularity so take any criticism with a grain of salt.

Do you think Warlord will produce Zweihanders when do the new plastic kits?

*raises paw*

Does anyone happen to have the Warlord plastic M10 Wolverine kit? Mine helpfully arrived without an instruction sheet.

Your best/fastest chance is to ask for it in the BA facebook group or in the warlord forum.

no..most grogs are bitter that its a crappy game system thats become popular.

...while they happily play Lion Rampant and derivatives?

Top fucking kek.

citation needed on the assertion that grogs who don't like BA like LR.

>I'm superior because I play obscure games no one has ever heard of that take 10+ hours to play because there's rules for stupid crap like wind speed in the name of realism.

Cheers.

First off, what is the standard game size? 1500 points? Is this more of a real skirmish game where you may have one or two vehicles each side or is it more like 40K?

Secondly, are the starter forces that Warlord sell any good? For £90 they sell 1000 point armies but with all these things I don't expect them to be a great army, just good value for money.

Is there any chance there will be a new edition soon? It seems to be Warlord's best selling game by some margin.

>Seeing as pretty much no one Games I have seen played at my local club (full of grogs and not grogs)
BA
Saga
Blucher
Chain of Command
Wings of Victory
Check your 6
various grognardy naval games
DBX
Sharp Practice
M&T
Johnny Reb
+ many many more

>Games I have not seen played by anyone
Lion Rampant

Strong argument

here is the truth. BA is a fine game, but a bad simulation. I don't play WW2 games at all so have no strong opinions of it, but its most common criticism (which is undoubtedly true) is that its historical veneer is quite thin. Whether this bothers you or not is up to you.

know a group that plays battlegroup and realized that 1-72 is kawaii scale
what should i know about battlegroup?

>BA is a fine game, but a bad simulation.
While SAGA isn't...?

Where did I say that?
Where did I say I had opinions against BA?

Does Bolt Action have rules for Vichy France?

I quite like LR, I also like the fantasy version Dragon Rampant, I sometimes use it with my warhammer figures. They're not the kind of game you can play regularly though, quite scrummy.

Pikeman's Lament is also good, basically anything written by Daniel Mersey.

1K is standard. You have an infantry platoon(Mandatory: Lt and at least 2 squads) and you can basically pick 0-1 of mortars, tanks, armored cars, etc. (Unless you're playing a larger game with multiple platoons)

The starter armies are usually good. You get the figures for 3-4 infantry squads, a medium tank, and a medium mortar, all of which will see regular use.

They just did a new edition and a V2 version of the German rulebook(they promised not to do V2 versions of the other nations anytime soon). I'm sure you're good for 3+ years.

I like the sound of all that. I think if you're going for a platoon sized skirmish game don't beat around the bush just do it, 40K has gotten far too large and the rules just don't fit the game anymore.

I was thinking of starting British airborne, I already play Flames so I have a lot of late war British army.

store.warlordgames.com/collections/british-airborne/products/british-airborne-starter-army

BMP

Definitely a good starter. If you want a vehicle, I'd look at something cheaper like an M10 or 76mm Sherman since your infantry are elite/expensive.

Can you make armies from different regiments in BA? So if I bought into para's I could still get Sherman's and Cromwell's etc. to represent Market Garden?

I have a love/hate relation with Napolionics. I want to like it. I love rank and files games. but i despise pretty much all the rule sets out there and i just cant do minis anymore.

fortunately, Command and Colors lets me scratch that itch on ocassions. just need to get the Spanish expansion......and the Prussian one.....and the Russian one.....

>Be me
>Go to friendly local game shop.
>Be surrounded by my entire city's basement dwelling population
>Ignore them and go get BMP model.
>Stand in line for an ungodly amount of time and find out I came right in time for the release of Warhammer 40k 8th edition.
>Finally step up to the register and the cashier says, "Well you're weird."
>Mfw historical wargamers don't exist here.

Where do you live in America?

Yup

Sorry for the autism, California.

1000 is probably the most common size, 1250 is an official tournament size too.

>Is this more of a real skirmish game where you may have one or two vehicles each side or is it more like 40K?

Do you still remember Warhammer 40 3rd edition? Its like that. A couple of squads with or without transport option, a few specialists/weapon teams and one or two support vehicles/tanks.

>Secondly, are the starter forces that Warlord sell any good?

They are a decent start and you can build a proper all-round army with them. Don't expect to build a top tier tournament army with them, but for your daily friendly games these sets work perfectly.
They are somewhat good value for their money too, but there are diffences between the different sets.

If you already know what kind of army you want, Warlord also offers the so called "build an army" bundles. There you get even better value for your money and you can choose the components of your bundle from a selected list of contents by yourself while the price is always the same. These are only sold by Warlord while the 1000p boxes can be found on ebay/amazon or elsewhere for cheaper though.

>Is there any chance there will be a new edition soon?
2nd Edition hit the shelfs just a couple of month ago. No new version in the next time for sure.