Are there any good systems for modern action movie-like games...

Are there any good systems for modern action movie-like games? I know about Feng Shui but I don't care for its lore and how limited the archetypes are, I like Cyberpunk 2020s lore but its system is a bit meh on a lot of stuff and the Netrunners are cancer. What else is out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

shootingdiceblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/tactical-shootingmartial-arts-john-wick/
1d4chan.org/wiki/Ops_and_Tactics
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Twilight 2000?

ORE
Mini six/open D6

Which edition is best? I got 2.2 and a few source books at a con but haven't read it.

What makes these good choices?

This many posts and no one has suggested GURPS? For shame!

Savage Worlds' entire inspiration comes from movies if I remember correctly

I've not looked at GURPS but as I understand book buying for that game is a deep rabbit hole.

Not sure I want to get too deep into that.

>modern action movie-like games
GURPS Action?

You don't need to dig whole Basic Set. GURPS Lite and Action 1&2 contain 99% rules you need, as well as general guidelines on how to keep fast-paced game running.

I'll take a look at that and some Savage Worlds stuff.

Thanks

Yeah GURPS has a ton, though it can all be pirated. "Downsampling," where you pirate, play it, then buy it to support the devs, is a must when your system has so many different books. On the flip side, though, all the books are pretty high-quality (not counting the art or Basic Set's layout).

To keep it simple/cheap, stick to Basic Set (the core books) and the first three books in the Action series (a mini-series focused on simplified, streamlined, cinematic modern-day gameplay the kind you see in action movies). At MOST, add EITHER Gun-Fu (for more over-the-top shooty action a'la John Wu, Arnold Schwartzeneger, Equilibrium, etc.) OR Tactical Shooting (to bring the realism back up and making your game about tactical operators operating tactically); again though, those two books aren't necessary at the beginning and I highly recommend stick to the BS and Action.

John Wick is an interesting duck; someone did a breakdown of the nightclub scene in the first movie, and Wick himself makes extensive use of realistic techniques and rules from Tactical Shooting (situational awareness, Tap-Rack-Bang, hip/unsighted/sighted/aimed shots, etc.) while the universe itself seems to run on cinematic rules from Gun-Fu (biggest example is Mook Chivalry)

>I know about Feng Shui but I don't care for its lore and how limited the archetypes are

I mean, you can ditch the lore and just run it in the modern day, and John Wick is basically the Killer archetype with a lot of gun shticks.

I dunno. I like Feng Shui, but your mileage will always vary. It also doesn't need to be said, but you could run any action movie in Fate.

Memes aside GURPS is an option for 90% of "How do I run x"
shootingdiceblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/tactical-shootingmartial-arts-john-wick/
There's the breakdown, and while it looks complicated as fuck it's not that bad, hell if you've run D&D it's nothing.

This blog post is beautiful, gonna have to look at this stuff more.

I'll look into throwing out the supernatural stuff, but keep the future stuff as I wanted to do slightly near-future Cyberpunk shenanigans with action cinema rules hence why GURPS was so appealing.

Then I'd go with GURPS, man.

Honestly, Fate has had the most satisfying 'action movie' scenes for me. Other systems often have a sort of tunnel-vision by way of mechanics, where they can be inflexible outside of their niche; or require you to bolt on a hodgepodge of other rarefied bits of rules and the game gets bogged down as you transfer between unique bolted-on subsystems.
With Fate, and the players all being genre-savvy enough, we never had to think about how to represent stuff. Like, we all know what the general 'shape' of a car chase is, so when a shootout transitioned into us and a few cars full of enemies barrelling down the interstate at midnight it just 'went' without anybody needing to ask questions about specific protocols for cars or chases or firing while driving.

Honorable mention to Marvel Heroic RPG, which is obviously geared for superheroics but could actually do a John Wick-style setting pretty well. You could probably do better with some other flavor of Cortex Plus (Leverage and Firefly, for instance; especially with you wanting to bring some sci-fi into it), but I've never played or looked at the other flavors.

GURPS if you don't mind beancounting.

Savage Worlds if you do.

Fate if you can handle abstraction.

Strike! for tactical squad action.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Ops_and_Tactics

This blogpost brilliantly illustrates both the autism of the blog /ko/mmando and the autism of GURPS rules. Well done!

>When in doubt, choose GURPS!!!

It looks complicated since it's someone explaining each turn and action in detail in order to justify what is what. In reality all this stuff would probably be figured out and decided on in a matter of maybe 30 seconds at the absolute longest for a player who at the very least understands the mechanics of the game.

You could make Pathfinder look complicated too with that shit.

What don't you like about Cyberpunk 2020 apart of netrunning? Because for high-speed action, once you tweak SP values not many games are better.

Converted in Cyberpunk 2020, John Wick is a very experienced solo (Combat Sense +9 or +10). He's extremely proficient with all types of firearms (Pistols, Rifles, SMGs, all at +9 or 10). In the first movie he was good in hand-to-hand combat, but he wasn't unbeatable (Martial Art: Sambo +7, Melee +7). He has excellent awareness (Awareness/Notice +7), and is very proficient at stealth (Sneaking +7). In term of athletics, he's good, but not a super-parkour-ninja (Athletics +5). Apart of being a super-solo, he's polite (Social +3), has contacts in the underworld (Streetwise +6), knows how to seduce a woman (Seduction +4) and can drive cars perfectly (Cars +6 or +7). He probably learned some Gun-Fu, too (Martial Arts: Gun Fu +4 or +5, see Listen up you primitive screwheads for rules on Gun Fu). He has a bullet-proof suit (SP 10), a knife, a Glock 34 custom pistol (WA +1), a custom Glock 26 (WA +1), a custom AR-15 with scope (WA +3), a Benelli M4 shotgun, a cellphone, and that's about it.

I agree, CP2020 is very good for modelling this in fairly easy terms.

There are modifiers you can apply for snapshots, off-hand shooting, ducking, cover, shooting while running, but that's for the GM.

Exactly. In my opinion a strength of CP2020 is that it has nothing exotic. There are no list of feats, special moves, advantages/quirks, triggers, or buzzwords to take into account. You have stats, skills, gear and contacts. That's it. Everything you need for playing is written on your character sheet. The DM also doesn't need to pause the game to look stuff up in the rulebook.

>There are no list of feats, special moves,
Well there are Special Abilities, but they're more like powerful skills than feats.

They are skills and each character has one. If a create a character in GURPS or Savage Worlds, he'll have quite a few advantages and disadvantages. If I create a character in TriStat/dX, the character will mainly be described by its advantages (attributes).

Does anyone have any idea to fix Netrunners?

I've heard of Run.Net but not looked at it.
If I have one in the game and want to make all the hardware and software useful but I don't want to do a Virtual Dungeon Crawl for one person.

Netrunners can locate and control any remotely controlled device (robocabs, UAVs...). All you need is a cyberdeck, the required control program and a little bit of luck. By using Electronics you could also directly connect to doors, lifts, cameras, etc. and override their controls. All of a sudden, netrunners become B&E experts.

You could try the hacking rules in Hunter Seeker. They're more like skills-on-a-chip and don't require cyberdungeons.

Both of these sound like great avenues. I'll experiment with them.

Thanks guys the thread has been very helpful.

Null sweat, omae.

If you want to balance the combat system a tad, reduce the SP rating of all soft body armor, skinweave and adaptive subdermal armor by 25 to 30% (SP 10 becomes 6, SP 14 becomes 8, SP 16 becomes 10, SP 18 becomes 12...). Leave hard body armors (flak vest, door gunner's vest, MetalGear) as they are.

No problem, chombatta.

Go for savage worlds its fast easy and the rules are actiom oriented and can be used for any setting from low fantasy trough super heroes and even 40k if you use them right. Also makes the players feel really good about themselfs with minimal effort.

Wushu is good if you don't mind its gimmicky resolution mechanic. GM sets a cap for # of dice in a fight scene, you get 1 die per awesome action phrase in your description, then you assign them to offense and defense and the GM does the same for the baddies and then you roll them. Any unblocked successes for attack dice means you die (or if you're a heroic guy you can burn like 1 of your 3 hero points or whatever and not die but now it's gone).