Is this accurate, Veeky Forums?

Is this accurate, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

shootingdiceblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/tactical-shootingmartial-arts-john-wick/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As a Shadowrun GM, and having never played GURPS or even read the rules, I can confirm GURPS is a better system.

dnd 5e = casuals/babby's first rpg
shadowrun = edgelords/autism
gurps = universe man

Thing I No Like = Shit Babby Retard Potato

Other Thing I No Like = Edgelord Kiddy Nothing Personal

Thing I LIke = Super Intelligent Sophisticate

But what are your feelings on skub OP?

Going off of the player base, not the systems themselves.

Also, I'm pro-skub.

It's obvious it's meant as a shitpost like mentions. So no, not really.

Oh ok

I don't believe that all or most D&D players suffer from congenital birth defects

I don't believe that all or most shadowrun players wear all black and bring knives to every game.

I don't believe that all or most GURPS players are star gods.

So, although I don't have evidence and figures to back this up, I'm going to say that on the balance of things, that picture is not accurate.

Actually, no.

5e: Normies and sociable people who are in it for fun, games and not too seriousness OR roleplayers just coming into their own. Looked down upon because it's too "casual" or the playerbase is so widespread that you find every undesirable player under the sun, as well as every good type, though they're more likely to have a closed group, which you don't see, because it's a closed group.

Shadowrun: When you like the idea of WoD but can't handle the "artistic"(autistic) side of the fanbase. You know your system is Shit and honestly wish your group would find something else to run it, but hey, it's what everyone knows. Your GM wishes the same thing.

GURPS: You're either playing GURPS with your buddies and having a time, or you're wishing you had buddies or time so you could play GURPS. There is no in between.

I've played both, I can confirm.

I've only played D&D a few times but played a lot of baldurs gate/planescape, with dice rolls on, and can say with certainty that 5e is faggot shit!

Terrible Trash To Tease Talented Types!

Not that accurate, d&d need to be more retarded and shadowrun would be the same pic as gurps if it was 2nd or 3rd edition.

i like 5th edition because it's easy to teach my friends to play and it isn't filled with minmaxers like 3.5/Pathfinder is. But without all the extra unearthed arcana stuff it is very bland.

>Play warlock
>Every fight
>"I cast eldritch blast"
>Every turn

>play fighter in 3.5
>i use power attack
>ever time.

Really, if they allowed Warlocks more spells known earlier that wouldnt be the issue. When you are only allowed 2 spells a day with no means of making scrolls and most invocations are ass, eldritch spam is necessary to be somewhat relevant when shit hits the fan and you need to fight.

>Is this accurate, Veeky Forums?

Anyone rating GURPS as anything other then an overcomplicated dumpster fire with a vomit name is not accurate, OP.

You should know better.

Eh, same can be said of Pathfinder, but people still play it, even after everyone screams that it's cancer.

I'm sorry to tell you this user, but people have different opinions than you, namefags won't stop because you get mad at them, Blue players will still play Blue even though it's a Prick color, yes, people do want to fuck dragons, and nobody actually likes Gamescience dice.

Its on short rests, not "per day."
If the party utilizes short rests often, Warlocks actually get more spell slots than any other class. The only problem is when the party doesn't rest.
Also, Warlocks aren't meant to be the blasters. Thats Sorcs and Wizards.
Warlocks are utility.

>Eh, same can be said of Pathfinder

Pathfinder is shit too

Buts its at least playable in comparison to GURPS, and its name doesn't invoke projectile vomit

Everything in this post is wrong.

>Its on short rests, not "per day."
If the party utilizes short rests often, Warlocks actually get more spell slots than any other class.

The official expectations for an average adventuring day is 2 encounters, rest, 2 encounters, rest, 2 encounters, long rest. This puts the Warlock at 6 slots for the first 11 levels and you had a 6 encounter day which is fucking ridiculous. This whole thing is made worse by one of your slots basically being guaranteed eaten up by hex at low levels.

>Also, Warlocks aren't meant to be the blasters. Thats Sorcs and Wizards.

Warlocks do more single target damage than each, and can do the same amount of AoE.

>Warlocks are utility.

In combat, they don't have the slots to be utility. Out of combat... sure, whatever. I think Wizard and Bard does utility better, but if you think unlimited level 1 spells you can only use on your self matter that much, I guess I could see that.

They easily out-utility the sorcerer, but the sorcerer basically only exist to be multiclassed for the metamagics so whatever.

Get off the bandwagon. GURPS is exactly as complicated as you want it to be, as long as you're not too retarded to make a clear choice on which of the rules you'll use.

Protip: everything beyond basic task resolution is basically optional.

That's exactly my point. And the whole point that this is pointless.

Nobody is right, everybody is wrong. There is no good systems, no bad systems, just opinions about entertainment, which are entirely subjective and don't matter. Also your waifu is Shit and you deserve every ring-stain on your table.

GURPS shills are much more toxic than Shadowrun or D&D fans on this board. They seem to be more focused on the supposed superiority of their system than on having fun playing it, which says something about how 'fun' the system actually is.

I've tried GURPS. It's like tofu. You can make any dish with tofu. It will always taste of tofu, though, and subjectively I don't like GURPS' tofu.

>FNX 45
What a poor choice of weapon for a schoolgirl. It's built like a brick so she's going to have to twist the gun sideways to get her finger on the trigger, which is poor technique.

I'd suggest the Sig P320 if she wears at least a medium glove. Otherwise a 1911 with thin grips and a short trigger will fit any tiny fucking spider monkey paw.

>no bad systems

I disagree with you. There are indeed bad systems.

Have you ever actually played GURPS or are you just parroting what you've heard online?

Well, yes. Any system that doesn't achieve what it's supposed to do is an objective failure. However there are systems that achieved different goals than what they were originally intended for, which many people have found joy in.

I cannot stress how very little this all matters and that your experience with a system is not someone else's experience with the system and it's all so subjective that arguing about it is the last thing anyone should be doing about it.

Then again, if I could actually get people to understand and care about this I wouldn't need to namefag.

Part of the problem with GURPS is that like 80% of it's fanbase are middle aged IT professionals that have been playing it for years. They come into a thread where someone ask how to do something and they tell them..

"You want to do Cowboys vs werewolves? You could do it with Basic Set but I'd grab High Tech for guns. Horror doesn't have that much crunch that you need but it has a lot of setting inspiration. If you would like there are 4 Pyramid articles that could be really useful and I'll tell you those. Set points at around 150/-50 so your players still feel threatened by a werewolf"

And they THINK THAT MAKES SENSE TO NORMAL PEOPLE. They think that paragraph is simple and comprehensible.

Knowing that some rules are optional works, but knowing what rules you can and can't do without takes knowing the game. A first time GM can get in way over his head.

Don1t bother. We do this song and dance at least once a week. A style post is made then some autist and/or troll keeps defending his nihilist attitude about no bad games/all games are equally bad. Then inevitably someone calls PF bad, which he can not tolerate and starts throwing around "Then why is it so popular?" and "just houserule it!" as a defense, blowing his cover as a retarded PF player who would rather construct a retarded ideology than having to evaluate PF in a manner that'd show it in a bad light.

Yepp, it's him. Abandon thread!

I've had a huge amount of fun with old school World of Darkness games.

They are, objectively, fucking terrible. Many of the rules fail to achieve what they attempt and are clearly written by people that didn't understand statistics or even the basic task resolution mechanic in the game.

OP here.

I've GMed on Roll20 for far too long.

The people that I played Dungeons and Dragons with were either neckbeards that misspelled the word "sword", or cross-gender roleplaying aspies. They were stupid. Some good players, yes, but the amount of idiots was overwhelming.

As for Shadowrun, the game went to shit because people would focus on their one trick ponies and mary sue cyborgs that would try to solve every situation with violence. I had a game dissolve completely because one player "allahu ackbar'd" and ran into a bunch of Ares praetorians with a grenade, when they could have just surrendered. Maybe this says some shit about my skill as a GM (maybe that it's bad?) but I couldn't do anything other than have them respond with deadly force on the rest of the party.

And onto GURPS, I've only ever played it as a player, but each game I was in has obviously had a considerable amount of prep time, the GMs are knowledgeable, and it was overall the best experience I've had when it comes to tabletop RPGs.

So, yeah, my shit may not be accurate for you, but it is for me. I just wanted to see if anyone had similar opinions of the players of said systems.

Also inb4
>roll20, there's your problem

Decent GURPS GMs tend to be pretty well prepared. It's how they get their system administrator jobs.

This is exactly the problem that GURPS, like any system, has, though GURPS is particularly prone to this.

Mastering an RPG, actually running it, is just like any skill. It requires practice, no matter how easy or simple it is, and to really do it well requires a level of commitment and experience that is only gained over time. It's like musical instruments. Someone who's played Piano for years will play it beautifully, but you can't suddenly hand him a Guitar and expect the same masterpiece. Some skills may carry over, but he needs practice and familiarity with the instrument.

Oh no, if we're talking at a personal level I think Pathfinder is absolute Shit and I'd rather find a more coherent system than invest the time to get GURPS at a level where I can have real fun with it. I'm mainly a BRP guy, though I'll settle for 5e as 5e's main flaw is boredom, not brokenness.

However, I feel it's necessary to say that different systems fit different groups for different reasons and they can all be different yet all still have fun. I know people who absolutely love Pathfinder and have a great time with it. It's still not for me, and I don't expect to convert anyone to or away from the system.

>Knowing that some rules are optional works, but knowing what rules you can and can't do without takes knowing the game. A first time GM can get in way over his head.
A first-time DM can literally circumvent this entire problem by cracking open the Characters book from the Basic Set, reading the 5-page chapter called 'Introduction', and taking the information contained therein to heart.

That's it.

>THINK THAT MAKES SENSE TO NORMAL PEOPLE
It makes sense to any people with half of brain and ability to read. Everyone else is frankly should attend school for brain-damaged and not to waste time on RPGs.

See, this is why nobody likes GURPS. It needs a shitton of work to prepare and takes way longer to meaningfully learn to play or DM well and when it gets called out on this shit, you faggots always go "HURR DURR BRAINLETS NO UNDERSTAND"

>It needs a shitton of work to prepare and takes way longer to meaningfully learn to play or DM
It really doesn't. Most RPGs have more than one book to use. If a DH GM uses Core, Enemy Beyond, Enemy Within and Enemy Without, nobody says anything. But if GURPS DM says "We use Basic Set, Low-Tech, Fantasy and Horror", everybody loses their minds.

>It needs a shitton of work to prepare and takes way longer to meaningfully learn to play or DM well
Your definition of a 'shitton' is laughable. It's some reading. You can come to grips with everything you need to know in the span of a single evening, provided you genuinely sit down with the basic set and read it.

If you can't make an effort to learn a system, I would not want to play any RPG with you.

I don't like GURPS.

I don't "know" GURPS.

But that blurb sounds no worse than "Check the Planar Handbook and some articles from Dragon #256, and keep the level low so it's scary" for D&D.

Nigger that sentence says "use the core book, these supplements and these magazine articles." It's not fucking rocket science. The 150/-50 points is the only thing someone who hasn't read the basic set wouldn't get.

>D&D players are having carefree potato fun
>Shadowrun players are taking their silly shit way too seriously
>GURPS players exist only on a theoretical level

I say it is as accurate as it can be.

>forgetting Old West and High Tech - Adventure Guns
Pls.

FNX is designed to accommodate any size of hand with its tactical flexible magwell

>western without Gun-Fu
Get /out/

Yeah naw. I like guns from manufacturers that don't make their guns out of fucking playdoh.

>double stack single feed
SHIT
H
I
T

Yes.

Replace bottom right with the Swedish Chef Muppet and we're good to go

I'll have you know that GURPS Muppets was a platinum seller.

No, but GURPS is still great. Shadowrun was like that in the 90s but so was everything.

Middle aged GURPS fan here. I'm a professor not an IT guy and I love GURPS but wow this hits close to the mark.

People keep saying that, but /out/ keeps sending me back here.

>play martial that isnt manuvre or caster
>MOMMY MAY I/ I hit him

>not GURPS: CGI
Go back to D&D brainletboy, puppetry a shit

>They think that paragraph is simple and comprehensible.
...and why it isn't?
i'm a D&D playa

Not true, I sometimes cast Faerie Fire.

>concentrating on faerie fire instead of hex

Thanks Wayne.

i want the 90s back

samefag

>GURP GURP GURP
>And they THINK THAT MAKES SENSE TO NORMAL PEOPLE.

Yes, exactly. Good job summarizing the problem.

is GURPS the GNU/Linux of tabletop gaming?

Pretty much, yeah.

>Why isn't everyone running Ubuntu with GNOME instead of stupid Window$?!?
>IT'S SO EASY!

GURPS is basically a spreadsheet system designed for people who spend their entire day managing spreadsheets at work and want to come home to some relaxing spreadsheets interpreted as a game of pretend. Make no mistake though: in the same way that football manager and CIV aren't videogames, GURPS is not a a TTRPG system. It's a spreadsheet.

It accurately represents someone's opinion. But opinions aren't universal, you shit-stirring clown.

How do I get into Gurps?
I'm mostly interested in Transhuman Space.

Pick up GURPS lite. Read it, learn it.

Pick up How To Be a GURPS GM. Read it, take its advice. Decide how many of the extended rules you want to use

Flip through Transhuman Space (and possibly the Ultra-Tech and Spaceships books) for the specific bits you want to meet your level of complexity determined by 'How to Be a GURPs GM'

GURPS is not bad. It front-loads campaign creation unlike other games that give you a bunch of stuff and let you be a lazy lob. Don't be a lazy lob that thinks changing the name of a monster is the hallmarks of major league GMing.

You fool! Kneel to my edgelord-potato-universal system mastery of ALL ttrpgs. No rulesystem is strong enough to contain the cancer that i am!

>he thinks CIV is a spreadsheet simulator

GURPSfags strike me as the sort of people that would unironically write Micro$oft

Who gives a fuck what normal people think? They shouldn't be playing Tabletop RPGs to begin with.

Worse yet, GURPS doesn't even have the Linux advantage of being "free". You have to pay for the books at the same price point as any other RPG, on top of which you have to buy dozens of other books.

As a Gurps GM i never had a problem to introduce the system to new players: i just ask a couple of question about the concept they want to play and i build up character myself. Then instead of giving an over complicated character sheet i lend them a 1 page paper with 3 lines of info, traits and skills, and thats all.

Most of them loved this so much that a couple of players ended up using gurps to gm their own campaign

Best post on all of Veeky Forums right now

Fixed it for you, OP

Fucking brainlet retards talking about a superior system they will never understand

This is b8 m8

Are you fucking retarded?

It's equally as complicated with any system. Let's take d20 and make a list: attack bonuses, magic weapon bonuses, spell effects, feats, cover, melee penalty, flanking, number of attacks and types of actions...

What you should be paying attention to is how impressively the ruleset is able to match a freeform action sequence

This is actually something I'm trying to fix.

In between my jobs (full-time PSD, part-time alcoholic) I'm trying to write a system with all the modularity of GURPS and all the free of no money.

This user gets it

>Loonix is free as in free breed xDDDD
EVERY
FUCKING
TIME.
MICRO$HAFT QUEERS OUT.
OUT.
OUT FUCKING NOW.

Except it's easy.

>having fun

You disgust me

Only issue there is your 91IQ and the fact you posted a shitpost for ants.

This is a problem with a lot of older systems: the player base has internalized the system so well that what is second nature to them either is mind caulk or requires a lot of pieces from a lot of disparate parts. Which is also why you get a lot of people saying you're retarded for not getting it; it's second nature (to them).

Add that to general grognard attitude and the toolkit nature of GURPS (or Fate or all splat 3.X or HERO if anyone on Veeky Forums was a real enough nigga for HERO) and you get a mess.

Template incoming

Alright, now this thread is equipped with the resources to argue effectively

Stop trying to turn this board into /b/.
It's nauseating.

>tfw you like every game system and every setting and every ratio of roleplay vs rollplay and you just like spending time with your friends

t. never worked with spreadsheets
It's a powerful tool. Nothing more. Not higher math. Not a legal thornbush. Not an accounting nightmare. Why are you afraid of using effective tools like a thinking human being?

DELETE THIS, SCUM!

I'd place Shadowrun lower than D&D5e, since for one of these games, you don't need a piece of software to engineer characters or ignore half the rules to keep moving.

I respect GURPS for what it can do but I'd prefer not to play it.

Give it a try, GURPS does Shadowrun better than Shadowrun in my opinion.

shootingdiceblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/tactical-shootingmartial-arts-john-wick/
Isn't it just fantastic?

GURPS also does D&D better than D&D.
And the Dungeon Fantasy box is coming out soon.

This

as someone currently GM'ing this system, stay away from this trainwreck