Can we have a good ole sci-fi weapons thread?

Can we have a good ole sci-fi weapons thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns2.php#id--Project_Orion_Battleship
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon--Bomb-Pumped_Lasers
nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Plumbob.html#PascalB
privat.bahnhof.se/wb907234/killuav.htm
globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1996/apjemp.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We are living in the future!

Sure thing op

I never understood this weapon? Is it some kind of chemical railgun? How does that even work?

From what I understand is uses gunpowder to fire a bullet and an electromagnetic force to give the round more power.

Seems kinda stupid to me.

Requesting nice looking sci-fi swords (or any other melee weapon, really).

Railguns, and coilguns, have trouble accelerating the projectile initially. Most examples use a spring or compressed air to give it at least a little push. There's no reason you couldn't do the same with a small amount of powder and a simple, light mechanism, while the railgun can accelerate the projectile afterwards to speeds in excess of what is possible with chemical propellants.

Sure

There's just something special about the phrase 'nuclear shaped charge'.

I used this concept in Eclipse Phase to smack a posthuman would-be god, twice, just to be sure. Knocked Deimos out of it's orbit in the process. Then transmitted "Sic semper tyrannis" at maxumum power across the Solar System. The point got across.

So, what's your favorite weapon type? Plasma, laser, chemical, electromagnetic, clarktech...?

When we get to the point of clarketech, it's great, but it's hard to get away from the sheer power and utility of chemical propellant. We've already made advances from black powder to early smokeless to today's, and it'll only get better over time whether we go to caseless or cased telecoped or whatever.

All directed energy weapons are fighting the battle from decades behind- if they manage to progress fast enough, and beat chemical propellants, great. But it's a huge task.

"Nuclear shaped charge" gives a certain gravitas to many things, like ships and gamma-ray lasers.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/realdesigns2.php#id--Project_Orion_Battleship

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon--Bomb-Pumped_Lasers

Don't forget bullets which may correct their own trajectory.

Which are admittedly good for railguns and similar as well. But it is admittedly hard to beat the *accuracy* of lasers- it's all of the other characteristics where it's trivially easy to beat them.

Source?

zzzzzzap!

Elysium

What about sci-fi weapons we have today?

That's not Science Fiction though.

>anti-material

>conventional chemical first stage, electro-magnet second stage
So the bullet is fired out of the rifle using gunpowder, and then the bullet itself houses an electro magnet rail gun that then fires the second stage round mid-air?

Cornershot is cool until you realize it's just a glock and a camera on a little swivel.

Still works

I do not recognize that shotgun, anyone got a model?
Cause I want one to bubba the fuck out of now.

It may be from the turn of the century, but fuck if those grooves aren't sexy

>settings include Joan of Ark
>Joan of Ark
My lord.

Also it does this

Fostech Origin-12.
$2600 MSRP.
-/k/

Make that $2900 MSRP if you want it to come pre-SBR'd. Also need tax stamps/a class III license because it's an NFA weapon.

Thanks Bro

The ruthless kind

Could I get some sci-fi melee weapons? hard to find art of anything but lightsabers.

See also its cousin Thunderwell, the EFP (picrelated) to the Casaba's penetrating charge
nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Plumbob.html#PascalB
>dig a cylindrical hole in the ground and line it with concrete
>fill partway with water and float a nuke in the middle of it
>cap it off with a metal plate
>launch shit directly into space with your nuclear potato gun

Coolest shit I've seen on the internet in recent memory

Marvel movies have them in abundance.

I like that, and I have no idea why

Posting small arms is fun and all, but how you gonna beat dem drones?

privat.bahnhof.se/wb907234/killuav.htm

>turns a giant bladed chopping weapon into a different giant bladed chopping weapon

The switchaxe is so fucking stupid, they could have at least chosen more different weapons.

>The main tank gun of a Bolo is usually a variant of the Hellbore system which is described in the Bolo story-universe as a long-range deuterium-initiated fusion pulse main guns. Hellbores were meant as weapons for interstellar vessels, and the versions mounted on Bolos were modified to fit.
These babies can punch through anything on land, sea, air, or orbit. Including starships.
This is the big stick you should be carrying.

Particle weapons. Dispersion be damned, I just like kinetic weapons and the logical extreme of that is my favorite.

chemical is really the only way thats practical for small arms without having absolutely ridiculous energy density

electromagnetic shits great for putting on things that can haul around a nuclear reactor or something but it doesn't scale down well at all

lasers are just retarded for small arms for a bunch of reasons

For when you really gotta put a big hole in something

globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1996/apjemp.htm

*unzips vircators*

> military issue
> wood
> decoration on the stock

What namby-pamby military is this for?

my guy

Is this real...?

It says concept at the bottom right.

QWhen is he making it?

>No obturation mechanism
>Break action with powerful round
>Break action lock on the right side
>Overweight barrel
>No top accessory rail
>Completely non-ergonomical hammer
Penis length compensator/10

>all this railgun posting
>nobody has mentioned plasma railguns yet
>even though they're a real thing and being actively worked on by the US military

Yup. The future is going to be crazy.
>could be used to create pulsed implosions of over 1 megabar peak pressure
>that's almost 987,000 atmospheres

Yeah, i want to see the crew repairing the huge treads when they get hit.
And why would you have turret in back thats useless most of the time since it cant point forwad.

There aren't any crew, it's fully automated and A.I. operated.

Why not both?

Tell me more user, are you referencing MARAUDER? Ive read plenty of people saying nothing useful will come of it.

This looks like something someone would pull out from 3D printer and which would blow up after half a dozen of shots/10 seconds of operation.

Isn't it classified?

A dull blade/bar with small nozzles made of crazy ceramic stuff around the edge that spray combining jets of heated beryllium and liquid oxygen. It's the most energetic chemical reaction that exists.

I've always loved the look of that thing

Just finished compiling this greentext, from the last time I was in one of these threads.

So you can shoot enemies that are behind you.
Half the time Bolos burst through enemy lines and keep on going, that back turret gets a lot of use.

Did you miss the part about shooting starships and being their own anti-missile platforms? You need full horizon-to-horizon coverage for that.

So, an exploding ceramic alloy club? I mean, it'll kill everything in the vicinity, but that counts you.

henlo

it's technically a weapon, as much as a drone is one.