FBI file on Gary Gygax

Why does he sound like such a balla?

Other urls found in this thread:

sjgames.com/SS/
canberratimes.com.au/act-news/a-junior-defence-staffer-allegedly-took-home-an-intelligence-report-and-posted-it-online-20150804-gir4rq.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_law_enforcement_in_the_United_States
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_bear
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kek

Gb2/Codex.

How little has changed...

kek Veeky Forums btfo

That's pretty accurate

Imagine being the fucking FBI guy charged with investigating TSR and the wargaming community. You would probably want to kill yourself.

Could be worse

Glad to see the results of my annual $42k contribution to Uncle Sam.

Chances of that being real are small, albeit I can believe that is someone's job.

>war games are generally extremely intelligent individuals

What an accurate and well-researched report.

Wasn't this thread deleted?

Janny is probably a retard who thinks we're doxxing a dead man.

How much you want to bet this is Arneson shitting on him after he stole D&D

We've only ever spent a week assessing strategic possibilities before reenacting the entirely historical battle for apocalypse

what if the FBI knows the truth and we're in a weird breakaway world somewhere in a distant corner of the imperium of man that has pulled off an elaborate ruse on its citizens that convinces them they're only at 20th century technology levels?

>extremely intelligent
>live frugally to buy more toy soldiers
>typically overweight and/or unkempt
they knooooow

They have raided Steve Jackson Games office once too.

Didn't they raid SJG because the hacking supplement they were putting together in the '90s was so realistic they thought SJG was making an actual hacker manual?

Eyup. SJG went so in-depth on their research during the Bell Wars stuff they ended up on a list.

Yes.
sjgames.com/SS/

>and bent two of the office letter openers attempting to pick the lock on a file cabinet.

Jesus Christ lads.

Has the secret service gone too far?

Shouldn't spooks have automatic lock picks and shit like that?

Probably didn't send their elite unit to investigate a rpg company

Wake up people.

SHUT. IT. DOWN!

Good idea for a campaign imo

Yeah. You could make it so all the Satanic Panic stuff is actually true and your desk job FBI guys get in way over their head.

> -Redacted- considers Gygax eccentric and frightening.

Federal Bureau of Ineptitude

Now I've got an idea for my Delta Green campaign I'm going to do. Thank you.

Every attempt to get additional resources or firepower from your superiors elicits the same response
>"They're just nerds lol"

You've got to politic for your life to even get near the nice shit

>They have raided Steve Jackson Games office once too.

The Secret Service, not the FBI. SJG won in court, despite the feds foot dragging, and several people were "retired".

As explains, it wasn't exactly send the SS's A team which first investigated SJG and decided to conduct the search. In fact, it wasn't exactly the B, C, D, or E teams either. What it what it turned out to be was a middle manager promoted to their level of incompetence and with little oversight running a ill-chosen "investigation" which was allowed to grow to a point where the Service felt they needed to "defend" it.

Looking at the actual court documents, it was a super flimsy "investigation". Some Bell South subcontractor found out that a company sensitive document might have been available on a BBS, which somehow got the SS dragged in, who decided to focus on SJG instead of the guy who might have actually released the document in the first place because he also participated in a BBS run by SJG. And then they just ran roughshod over it for shits and giggles because they were bored or something.

Is [BLANK] Lorraine?

Bruce Sterling's book The Hacker Crackdown, is a good history of that incident and others. The author signed a special deal where the physical book is copyrighted, but the online version of the book is literary freeware. So download away.

Basically, Bellsouth claimed it was a 50,000 dollar document that was hacked and distributed. And that as a blueprint of the 911 system it could be used to Destroy America. That was also why they resisted showing the document publicly or even to the jury so people could decide for themselves if it was a crime. Anyway, a copy ended up on a PC owned by an employee of sjgames (an author of GURPS cyberpunk and RL hacker).

Anyway, the case fell apart when the defense pointed out that the document could be bought by anyone for $6 from a Bellsouth technical catalog. The prosecutors hadn't checked and just had taken Bellsouths word for it. The whole case collapsed, but that didn't stop them harassing sjgames for years essentially out of pettiness.

So basically go get a copy of GURPS cyberpunk.

Clearly, REDACTED is Vecna.

FBI files make everyone sound like a felon and/or potential terrorist. There's a joke among prosecutors that they could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich if they tried.

That's also incidentally why they miss so many real terrorists until it's too late. When you act like everyone is guilty, then you stop noticing who is really guilty.

>SJG won in court,
They didnt got some of their stuff back so, NOPE

they didnt won shit

>drug abuser.

LOL weed.

>They didnt got some of their stuff back so, NOPE

Some of the stuff was destroyed, so no one could get it back.

>>they didnt won shit

English much?

Anyway, read The hacker Crackdown by Sterling and educate yourself.

>Looking at the actual court documents, it was a super flimsy "investigation".

Exactly. Some BellSouth boob found an equally stupid SS manager, a laughable "investigation" took place, and the circus began.

Weed abuse is no laughing matter.

Did quentin teach you nothing?

>They didn't even bring their own equipment

>they didn't even realise that if they had the warrants to raid the offices, they had the warrants to force SJG to open said cabinet

They probably didn't get the warrant until after the fact.

Would they really risk blowing it if the judge denied the warrant?

What weapon did Gary 'OG' Gygax carry?

>inb4 +1 mace

I think he carried a knife on his person. Can't remember where but I heard he had it on him so if he was working on a mini and it he a stray little bit sticking off he could just nick it off.

It's quite possibly true. Hell, Australian authorities are watching. Shitposting knows no bounds: canberratimes.com.au/act-news/a-junior-defence-staffer-allegedly-took-home-an-intelligence-report-and-posted-it-online-20150804-gir4rq.html

Okay, I guess I'll be the one to ask. Why was the FBI making a file on Gary Gygax?

Why is the FBi doing anything they do?

They seem like the only halfway-competent government agency in the USA so it surprises me that they waste their time on stuff like this.

>[REDACTED] believes that GYGAX would be extremely uncooperative if the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) attempted to interview him regarding his knowledge of [REDACTED] FRESNO.
what's in Fresno that the FBI wanted to know about but Gygax wouldn't tell them?

They only appear that way as they are literally just our federal police force. Their work isn't about gathering international intelligence or anything, unless it directly relates to a crime. They're just cops doing cop work with a huge jurisdiction, it baffles me when people put them on the same level as the CIA or NSA.

I'll tell you but you have to promi

Thats the impression i always got from them. Government police rather than state and so on. Not sure where the super cool agent extreme shit came from.
It's probably down to tv, in bongland anyway.

>in bongland anyway.
I'm pretty sure most of the XTREME GMEN FBI RAID shit is genuine USA.

Sometimes I don't think the people who work in the media actually know the difference between the FBI and CIA.

>Not sure where the super cool agent extreme shit came from.
TV. Whenever there's a shadowy government conspiracy the men in black who chase the protagonists are usually FBI agents.

>Their work isn't about gathering international intelligence or anything, unless it directly relates to a crime.
what is mission creep?

FBI: breaks down your door and confiscates all your meth equipment and shoots your girlfrien after 5 years of infiltrating your drug empire.

CIA: Establishes a drug empire in another country to weaken the establishment government's power in order to put a pro-USA executive leader into power.

DEA: Sells the meth from the drug empire in order to take down a slightly larger drug empire, then sells the other drug empire up the river during the trial of the initial bust.

BATFE: Shoots your dog because your rifle is 16" and you didn't pay $200.

NSA: listens to all this going on.

>unless it directly relates to a crime.
Wouldn't it be Interpol's job then?

Yeah, they can get a lot of scope of investigation under the guise of "well, it's related to this crime we're looking into". They really have broad parameters for operating.

Why are the ATF and DEA not part of the FBI?

Why should Interpol be policing our federal crimes? We're a sovereign country. When the FBI investigates something in another country it usually works with that country's version of the FBI or the government body that would be in charge of the crime.

Interpol isn't involved very often.

BATFE is actually a part of the IRS, most of the crimes committed with A, T, F, and E are felonies and are covered by other parts of the government on either federal, state, or local levels. What they enforce is the tax part of it for some fucking reason.

DEA is part of the DOJ like the FBI is and work together pretty fluidly. DEA is just more specified.

***to add on real quick, they also enforce things regarding ATFE that could be handled by other agencies for some fucking reason. Funnily, tobacco and booze or overseen by the FDA, our guns are overseen by counties usually regarding licencing and permits, the FBI database is the one checked for background checks.

It makes no fucking sense.

Pic is what they do all day, making up convoluted webs of legislation with no oversight.

>That pic
I'm... i'm confused... what is that supposed to regulate? Is that about shipping guns by mail?

It's to regulate the length of rifles. Rifles need stocks (the thing that braces the rifle against your shoulder/chest) so you can have a gun's barrel be any length so long as it doesn't have a stock and it wasn't originally manufactured with one.

If you have a rifle that is too short in the barrel it's a Short Barreled Rifle, an SBR. They are easier to conceal and to operate indoors so only people with $200 and sixth months have the right to them. If you do have the $200 you aren't a bad guy I guess.

If you want to be more confused look up "shouldering an AR pistol arm brace" and the fucking trash that was.

The gun hobby in America is surprisingly complicated.

>Yeah. You could make it so all the Satanic Panic stuff is actually true and your desk job FBI guys get in way over their head.
That sounds awfully familiar...

Lot of this is kind of funny in some ways, I'm a Cat-D licensed shooter in Australia- so basically I can run around with assault rifles and murder pest animals.
Essentially, they don't give a fuck how long/short/bent my barrel is, what the lower, upper receiver does or whatever the hell is hanging off it, heck I can just ask and they'll sell me a silencer without any real trouble at all if I needed one. About the only real thing is full auto, (which is kind of useless for the most part) and I got over doing that after 12 or so years in the army so it doesn't really excite me as much as some people.

>silencer

We're huge on nitpicky bullshit with guns here. Even in free states.

In MN we can't have gatling-style trigger guard additions but we can have echo triggers (pull trigger and shoots, let go and it shoots).

Wow, and here i thought my country was a champion of clusterfuck laws.

Silencer/Suppressor
You do sound far more tactical if you say suppressor I guess

Yeah its a handful when I've brought parts over and every state has its own laws for various components. Plus some of them won't actually sell to anyone overseas and then you do the run-around to find someone who does, then hope they have the local law to actually sell it.

Mind you, your pistol laws (overall) seem to be far more easy to live with than ours, which as a general rule ours are a huge pain in the rectum.

Over here in NZ, you can own a 7.2-inch howitzer on an A category license (the easiest to get, just pass a safety test, have a safe place to store your firearms, and get a couple people to say you're the kind of person who should be trusted with a firearm). The only trouble you might have is safe storage and (maybe) having to get a demolitions license to actually fire the thing.

An A-cat is meant for hunting rifles and shotguns. Firearms laws are funny.

The original suppressor was called the Silencer. It's a brand name.

>drugs abuser

You know, it really doesn't surprise me that Gygax smoked a fuckload of weed, seeing how the entire roleplaying genre grew out of the fusion of wargaming and the '60s hippy counter culture. (What if we take our Napoleonic wargames, and turn it into Tolkien-esque adventures with actual theatrics, duuuude?)

I thought he had a reputation for coke actually.

Well, consider that coke is like the fourth (or fifth if you count caffeine as a drug) most used drug on the planet (caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, cocaine) , it's not that odd to imagine someone who earns quite a few dollars using cocaine.

If you ask me, cocaine is a fucking waste of money. Just drink some beer, smoke some weed and drink a cup of coffee or grab an energy drink. Now you have the same experience for 1/20th of the price of cocaine.

t. cheapskate Dutch druggie

Yeah I dunno how that works here, I know APC's, artillery and tanks are perfectly fine for private ownership- not quite sure about a 'live' gun, though I suspect they would let you have it provided the breach or firing mechanism was kept separate like it is for military collectibles.

Don't really have an urge to buy an artillery piece to investigate further :)

Flower child of the 60's and 70's, basically they snorted, shot, smoked everything they could get their hands on

Good luck mate, you'd need a C-cat license as its bore is rifled and exceeds 12.7mm/.50, and would need storage to match.

Some smoothbore cannons can be had on an A-cat however, and smaller cannons don't even need a license..

That plot hook

>They're just cops doing cop work with a huge jurisdiction
I think they're the only service in the West which both act as federal cops and semi-covert state security.

Damn, american taxpayers must be really happy to see their money is put to good use.

If you CAN be discrete in your invasion, anything you find can just be called an 'anonymous leak'.

>exceeds 12.7mm/.50
I don't see that in the Arms Act or the list of weapons declared restricted.

>further advised that the typical war gaming enthusiast is overweight and not neat in appearance
Nothing gets by those guys does it.

And they call me paranoid for wearing a tinfoil hat.

>So what does this new "epic meem" mean, Johnson?
>Well sir that's spurdo
>A what?
>Do you remember the case from some years ago, the crackdown on CP distribution? Do you remember that thing called Pedobear?
>Yeah yeah, bunch of sick bastards
>Well, spurdo is pedobear according to finnish posters high on meth and energy drinks
>What, are we the DEA now?
>No sir, they don't distribute it, I think it's like their national dish
>Bloody Christ, and what does it mean?
>I'm not too sure...I think it just represent incompetence. Spurdo is usually portrayed as a recruit of the finnish army. By the way, if what they say is true, we should consider that Finland will fall within 16 hours against a russian invasion.
>Thanks God, beating commies, something I can understand.
>Well sir, the rabbit hole goes deeper?
>How?
>There is also Gondola
>Are we dealing with the terroni?
>No sir, it's just a deformed spurdo. It means -nothing-, they just put him in classic pieces of art. We have the guys from cryptanalysis working on it, maybe it's steganography, but we've found nothing yet.
>Sigh...I didn't sign for this.

>It means -nothing-
It's a representation of Zen.

>what is the DHS for 600 Alex

So their functions overlap, that means little.

It means quite a bit, actually. The DHS acts both as federal cops AND as semi-covert state security. This means that your statement (that the FBI are the only Western fed cops+state security) has been refuted.

It means I thought it was the only such agency.

Unfortunately not, friend. We're watched "well". Alphabet soup agencies run amok while setting fire to the rulebook along the way, the police grow increasingly militarized, Big Gov't moves amongst the shadows to compromise our liberties, and the media cloaks it all with hearsay and static. The soup of the day is "Tread Lightly". Stay safe, user.

As a non american, what does the DHS do? Cause every serial killer and home terrorist was hunt down by the FBI afaik. Are they so fucking spook no one notices them? Do they fight against gobbunism?

DHS is like this weird overlap of ICE, FBI, BATFE, CIA, and Secret Service.

It's just Bush era bloat that was further expanded under Obama. It's anti-terrorist but its end goal is vague and it's oversight is only from the executive branch, not the DoJ like the other speak and spells. Trump is giving it a little more focus than prior admins, at least he's on our side for now.

Here's all our spook clubs en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_law_enforcement_in_the_United_States

Oh and they can all kill us for some reason. Even the park service has swat vehicles.

>Some of the stuff was destroyed, so no one could get it back.
Didnt knew that
Not only my point still stands but it stands harder

DHS is authoritarian power-creep. It birthed the TSA and engulfed the Coast Guard, border control, and customs as a means of consolidating authority over travel and borders.

Of course, since the Obama admin was without a doubt best described as "anarcho tyranny", this massive consolidation of power was turned on citizens while infractions against our sovereignty were ignored and even encouraged.

>Even the park service has swat vehicles.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_bear

He also took cocaine for a time. I think that's why he divorced his first wife

No the reality was the guy working on the hacking supplement started a bbs where they talked about hacking which got him put on a list and they used that to raid steve jackson games so they could get his equipment. It was a really flimsy flimsy job.