Ded Jace

Ded Jace.

Wtf? Is that a Mindsculptor hate card?

>Ded
The word you're looking for is "amnesiac"

We already know thanks to the next block's spoilers.
He's not dead, but castaway in another plane.

I guess he's the other planeswalker deck.

Also, this card sucks. It doesn't replace or compliment Gainsay.

We have a Jace in Ixalan, so he ain't dead.

Also
>Gatewatch confirmed for defeated
I'm so happy

>it doesn't replace gain say

Why not? Because you don't like Jace? Or do you have a competitive reason I'm not seeing?

It's literally gainsay with potential upside. There are no cases in which that text is harmful, merely irrelevant. I'm pretty sure that is, by definition, strictly better.

Fucking lol

The upside is too narrow. Gainsay is pretty fuckin narrow by itself. Both cards are for fringe play at best.

>Ajani goes toe to toe with this guy
>Jace just gets mindraped

Ayy lmao

I think everybody can agree there, the confusion was you saying it doesn't "replace" gainsay, which sounds like you're implying gainsay is superior

It still completely replaces Gainsay in every way. Both being narrow does not negate Jace's Defeat being strictly better than Gainsay.

What can I say except "You're welcome"?

Does this mean next set is going to be Vraska finding a mindwiped Jace and getting him as a flunky like she tried back in Ravnica?

And then Ajani shows up and we get to see a cat and a snake fight over a confused amnesiac on a boat.

This better be a cycle.
>Jace losing his memory
>Gideon's invulnerable shield breaking
>Chandra burning herself out
>Nissa losing control and being wrapped in her own vine-tentacles
>Liliana developing crow's feet

That last bit seems like a joke, but I'd actually love a card of Old Lady Liliana.

Also those vine tentacles. Ooh Mr. Bolas, ooh.

Also somebody shop Bolas and Sarkhan's faces onto this, I won't be able to do it for another few hours.

I'm actually seriously hoping Liliana goes crone after beating her last demon, thereby discovering that killing them all annulled the contract, and forcing her to find a way to restore her youth.

Which, hey, could be a good excuse for a return to Ixalan later down the road! Fountain of youth or something.

YES

His ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert plane...

With Beleren!
And Vraska too...

That's pretty much my theory except the Ajani part but it wouldn't be bad if he shows up.

>except the Ajani part
So, fun fact. We saw the Vraska art before Hour of Devastation was even announced, in a packaging market test. There was also an Ajani.

That's neat art. Source?

HAHAHAHA!

So, Conquest of Power==Dominaria?

This is going to be the greatest card cycle ever printed.

I need foils.

...no, Conquest of Power = Rivals of Ixalan.

Does he turn into a jigaboo monkeyman?

they were all warned by Ajani, Jace has been defeated exactly like this once before, Lili knows of Bolas's powers, and they still mushed on to a Plane Bolas set up for himself.

the new one block=one set stuff doesn't start until after the second half of Ixalan

this is HIGHLY Ironic as Jace is already an Amnesiac as he allowed that sphinx to erase his mind so he could defeat him when he was a kid.

Lili is only there for the Demon, I wouldn't be surprised if she fucked right off the moment Bolas showed up

God damn, if this is a cycle, it may actually be proof that they were listening to how much we didn't like the Gatewatch.

"Well, we were going to have them defeated, but let's make CARDS out of it too."

Give me 4.

It would introduce some color specific hatecards for sideboards which is desperately needed.

Also doesn't make sense that only Jace gets defeated, they're all getting wrecked together.

What does it say?

>getting wrecked

You know it's only temporary.

Not him but I'm guessing blue/green to show Jace becoming feral or a survivor.

We know his third ability creates copies of himself that are probably creatures with P/T equal to his loyalty?

It seems like he's out of control of his own powers and they're running rampant.

This is literally the second time Jace got mindfucked by Bolas

MTG is a story about Nicol Bolas, as soon as he's gone/dead I won't have to buy any WOTC products ever again.

>the biggest hitter you bring to kill Bolas is a man who can't be hurt, but has no innate strength

>the other even bigger hitter, but far more narrow is a lady no one trusts who openly admits to having a seperate agenda on the plane, and her powers are such known quantity to Bolas that she's basically useless.

what did they think would happen? Jace can't even defend himself against Bolas's mind shit, Chandra can't burn him, and Nissa is just a god damn elf.

They're probably just high on all the horseshit they've been able to get away with in the 3 blocks leading up to this.

They actually addressed that. They were more or less in a no-win situation. Either they went to confront Bolas right away, or Tezzeret would go tell on them and he'd have time to prepare and scheme against them. Which you know he'd do because he's a petty fuck.

It was a gamble, and it's clearly failed, but there was at least a chance.

Poor Tezzeret has literally never won anything in the history of MTG

the only man alive to "beat" him told them not to, and they did it anyways.
well they did defeat 2 titans and.. watch the other one imprison herself in the moon, and beat Tez again, as if that were a fucking accomplishment.

seirously even his planeswalker card is weak, its even weak in limited, what the fuck was that.

defeat him.. how? exactly?

they KNOW his strengths, the 5 of them wouldn't be enough.

this was the worst idea, and this entire set is going to show us why.

The fact that this is even a thing just shows how fucking stupid WotC has gotten.

Outside of flavor text, how do people learn the stories of these sets?

I'm fairly certain she either does that or just kinda let's him do his thing. If anything, Bolas might even be proud of her for doing what she's doing as long as she doesn't fuck with his plans.

Unless the power of shitty writing saves them again.

> Bolas about to defeant them
> All the rebels cheer them on/gives them sad looks
> Gatewatch uses power of bullshit/friendship to defeat Bolas clone or reveal it's the real Bolas and he retreats but flings Jace somewhere
> Gatewatch must now work together to find Jace who probably went full Tarzan and defends local inhabitants from pirate captain Vraska in the next episode of Jacetice League: Unlimited

Elaborate. I'm glad they're sacrificing the Gatewatch, at least for now.

Ajani only beat him by going super sayin at the death of his brother and making a spirit clone of Bolas

They literally made a card to counter "Jace planeswalker spell". Which means that WotC either thinks there are enough Jace planeswalker cards to make the card relevant or they think Jace planeswalker cards are (will be? I remember why mind sculpter got banned) relevant enough to demand a special counter. Either of those options are very bad things, especially when coupled with where the lore is going.

Or they think adding that bit of text to Gainsay is irrelevant enough that it can be essentially extra flavor text.

It could also mean that there's bolas vs Jace planeswalker decks and they threw in some cheeky hate cards

I disagree. I figure they put the text there to encourage it's use.

Definitely possible. Not completely sold but it's a possibility. I just can't recall if the X vs Y decks dropped before the new sets or after.

To be fair, they didn't have any clue how they were going to deal with the Eldrazi titans, either.

At the same time because Planeswalker duel decks are the new starter decks

For the Islands I pulled from you mind
Hey it's okay, it's okay.
You spells and memories just get rewind

Nissa versus Ob-Nixilis was released after Oath of the Gatewatch. But the next Dual Decks is Merfolks vs Goblins.

Really? I was not aware of that. I don't pay attention to the starter decks honestly.

>Merfolk vs Goblin
Hmm...possibly a Jace vs Bolas but I doubt it.

They put useless but flavorful text on cards all the time. And honestly, Jace's Defeat is probably part of a cycle, each showing one of the Gatewatch getting fucked over and having mostly pointless text if you happen to hit the character in question.
No, the planeswalker decks are the starter decks, the Duel Decks are a different product entirely, and they're not going to make a Jace deck for Hour when he's a walker in Ixalan and not in Hour. The planeswalker decks are just the old precons with a shitty planeswalker slapped on top of it, not something intended to be thrown at each other specifically (any more than the old precons were)

It'll be Merfolk vs Goblins.

>Jace getting fucked up
>Flavor text about a smug blue mage that's not only NOT Jace for once, but is actively being smug against Jace
KINO

Real discussion though, will this trigger a break in Jace's blocked memories regarding his homeplane and past?

they literally have stories on their website weekly.

Unlikely. Everything points to us going back to Ravnica fairly soon, and we'll probably want him functional for that.

Ded Nissa

Death by tentacle rape it seems

I wasn't talking about the flavor text. I was talking about the "Jace planeswalker spell" bit.

they aren't blocked, they are gone.

and those kinds of "gone" are really really gone, unlike Ixalan Jace just being befuddled.

What do the moon runes mean?

Holy shit happening

No more problematic Nazi elf re-writes.

I'm guessing something along the lines of the Jace one.

In that case I guess I'm wrong and it's just a cycle. Here I was worried about another mind sculpter and "Jace's Defeat" was supposed to be the counter.

Neither was I. The Jace planeswalker spell bit is flavorFUL text. Not flavor text. They did not print the card because they think Jaces are going to run rampant. They printed the card because Gainsay is a fair card and giving a minor upside if you somehow hit a Jace is a flavorful way to represent what's going on in the set (i.e. - Jace getting BTFO)

>Elf
>Tentacles
>Japanese

How has this not been translated yet?

Translation from leddit

Nissa's defeat
Sorcery
Choose a forest or a green enchantment or a green planeswalker, destroy it. If the permanent is Nissa planeswalker, draw 1 card

>Elf tentacle rape

Give me 10, foiled

>dead

kek

He's gonna get knocked out and then appear shortly after

He'll probably get even stronger and go super planeswalker

I'm hoping there is going to be a cycle of all of them getting their asses whooped as catharsis for all of the insufferable bullshit we have had to go through

I guess their movie deals fell through.

This isn't very satisfying because you know NONE of them are gonna stay down

I look forward to the flavor text that's just "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" as he powers up between sets.

1 or 2 are staying dead, another 1 or 2 mindslaved and Jace mindraped and sent away

Preety good outcome famalam. Devastation=!Massacre

that wouldn't be that satisfying, see: ALL the old walkers that are dead, Venser, Elspeth.

>Elspeth
>Dead

She's gonna be an undead planeswalker, take up Sorin's role as WB.

Undead can't be Planeswalkers. Vampirism on Innistrad is a demonic curse, not being Undead.

Wanting it to be chandra
Knowing it will be gideon

I mean considering how fucked up Theros' afterlife is, There's a definite chance of her getting her spark back through loopholes. Hell, Angels and Demons can't be walkers either, but we have Ob.

No, she's not. She wouldn't be a damn planeswalker if she were.
Plus it completely negates the entire point of the bullshit of the story they put her through, that they left her at the halfway point of.
She's going to bust out of the Underworld, probably with Dack's assistance.

Maybe not quite undead, but returned. She's not going to stay dead is the point.

Please please please let Chandra and Nissa both die

They are both cancer incarnate as characters

you can't be an undead planeswalker, she'll rise again as an Angelic Walker, because she's in tune with Bant, and that's what happens to hero's on Bant.

the gatewatch/goodguys need a big hitter, to be honest most of them are quite weak on the offense, someone has to at least have a chance of clashing with Bolas and holding their own, not exactly winning but at least fighting.

Angel empowered Elspeth can be that person, she was already a freak of nature (possibly some sort of phyrexian experimentation on children... gone right) capable of fighting things far beyond what humans should be able to, and also being able to channel more White Mana than even Heliod could muster.

Ob is not a demon, not really, he was born a human with a spark, he became demon-like because of the chain veil.

and there is no such loophole, if you become a Returned your super fucked.

she'll simply become an Angelic Walker.

plus her becoming an Angel is a nice continuation/culmination of her entire life's story.

she always felt she wasn't good enough, no matter how crazy her feats were or how much good she did, like she was a failure, well her sparking to a Bant colored Angel-Walker would finally show her and the multiverse she is good enough.

I love this cycle.

I don't know how many of these cards I'm ever gonna play but oh baby.

Chandra's Defeat will probably be standard relevant though

See, I figure the loophole is "she's still a walker as long as she's in the underworld, because she's not a returned." and they'll pull some kind of bullshit. I will say, sparking into an angelwalker would be fucking awesome.

So, there's a cycle here of Bolas destroying the gatewatch. That would include Liliana then, right? I honestly can't see her doing that unless her defeat is getting controlled by the demon