I'm scared of GURPS

being a player that started out with D&D 3.5 I am currently scared of trying out GURPS since I have heard it to be a complex game.

Is my fear justified ? Would GM'ing it be frustrating ?

It's complex, but like anything else you'd have to get used to it, and if you don't like it nobody's gonna force you to run it.

Yet right now it seems like the only thing I can run for the setting I had in mind.

>It's complex
It really isn't. It has very simple mechanics.

>being a player that started out with D&D 3.5 I am currently scared of trying out GURPS since I have heard it to be a complex game
>starting out with D&D 3.5
Nigger, GURPS is going to be a step down in complexity. I actually quit Pathfinder for it because GURPS runs much faster and simpler than Pathfinder. The only real hard part of the game is the front end, and even that has many exceptions.

Whether GMing it will be frustrating depends on what you are going to make of course. If you want to run a game where everyone is Galactus or something then it will take a bit to wrap your head around. If you are running a generic fantasy game or a post apocalyptic game however you can just use Dungeon Fantasy/After the End and have everything taken care for you out of the box.

Can you elaborate on what you want to do? You should ask on the GURPS general as well as I am sure that everyone will want to help you.

Start with GURPS: Lite, then hit up How to Be a GURPS GM.

GURPS's complexity is mostly frontloaded. The good part of that is that the game itself is fairly smooth, especially from the players' perspectives; the bad part is that it requires more effort on the part of the GM since you have to determine points budget, PC options, what rules the universe runs on, what gear is available, etc. instead of the normal thing you can do with out-of-the-box games i.e. toss the book at them and say "have your PC ready in a week."

GURPS has a lot of optional complexity that is very rewarding to learn and use, but stripped down, simple versions are available and great to use.

What are you trying to run, friend? One thing GURPS does demand is that you have to come up with at least a basic idea of what the game will be about. It's not like D&D when you know every game is going to be basically a LOTR ripoff.

GURPS has lots more up-front complexity that's required before play can begin, but in-game it's as simple as D20, if not more so.

Yeah OP, you survived the clusterfuck of third edition D&D you can take anything. "GURPS is so complex!" is a retarded meme that needs to die. Only issue with GURPS is the metric fuckton of books but hey, you endured 3.5 and its own metric fuckton of books.

If you can avoid the pitfall of trying to include too many options, GURPS is fine. Character creation can take forever, but once in play it goes much more smoothly.

GURPS is far less complex than 3.5

This

First off, this is bait. Better than average bait, I'll give you that, but still bait. Your post is lacking motivations for going to GURPS and how you chose the system, which would've made the transfer from 3.5 more reasonable. Instead it's just blatant that you're trying to get both 3.5 & GURPS players enraged for a bait thread.

However, since the thread is already in full swing and discussion is almost decent I guess I'll just have to give my two cents.

GURPS isn't complex, it's Broad, and the main thing that drives people away from it are the sheer access to as many rules as you want or need. This makes the game look like learning the entire thing is like trying to learn MTG by playing a Sliver deck instead of playing Mono-Green Stompy.

What this CAN mean is that you could have a game where you have to handle every major roll in combat like it's a game of EDH where every deck has Izzet colors playing Permission and the stack is usually 5-6 steps to resolution.

What it USUALLY means is that any GM who's stayed with GURPS long enough to know what rules to apply and where are some of the finest GMs out there who know their Shit. GURPS is hard to run, not to play, but like any system, someone familiar with how it behaves can handle it like a professional pianist handles their instrument. GM-ing has always been more of an art than a science and the way we judge systems is absolutely moronic, like trying to say that a piano is better than a saxophone because the piano is better organized.

D&d brusde!!!!

Kill all heretics

wayne you nerd

GURPS isn't hard, there's just a lot of it. Realistically speaking you won't be using that much material for any singular campaign. It's not very difficult to learn, it's actually easier than many more popular systems out there.

>Baiting by accusing the op of baiting.

>telling others not to reply by replying by calling it bait.
Do as I say, not as I do...

>>telling others not to reply by replying by calling it bait.
>Do as I say, not as I do...
Literally doing the same. Baitception, Wayne.

We have to go deeper.

Well, duh. That's my shtick. Overly complex baiting and angering about meta-concepts continuously... which is stupid. And I point out that it's stupid, and the cycle continues.

>We have to go deeper.
[Neo intensifies]

Funny enough my last name is actually Anderson.

Wayne is not my real name though.

My middle name is Bruce and my initials are D.C.

I just realized that "Neo" is an anagram for "One". For "The One".

If that's already mindblowing to you, figuring out Japanese-English puns would completely floor you.

do it faggot

I already did in an old thread and I decided that out of what was given to me GURPS is better since: A. my friends did not like the idea of Dark Heresy.
And B. Dark Heresy is specifically meant for Warhammer 40k while Gurps is for anything.

The theme is a noble dark Neo Medieval Earth with a lot of Gothic themes to it (bikes are used as cavalry and power armor is for the rich and noble).

Now for all the people whom think this is bait, It's not. I never played GURPS or GM'ed it in my life or have a friend whom did and am asking for reassurance and opinions.

I am hoping to have "Song of Ice & Fire" level of political intrigue yet the setting itself is also both futuristic and sort of post apocalyptic in a way that peasants are mostly armed with guns.

desu, what you're describing likely *would* run well in Dark Heresy's system.

Sounds like a relatively solid GURPS game. TL 9 power armor for your knights, TL 8 equipment for most people.

You can do this. Do some basic preparation, relax and enjoy yourself.

>Screams internally