ITT: Green Flags

AKA: what you like to see/hear/read when someone wants to play TTRPGs with you.

>Since [that race] is very rare in [your setting], I decided that I'd like to try [this race] instead. I made [this character] with [this backstory] that [ties well into the setting]. Could you give it a look and see if we have to change something?
>Thank you for GMing man! Here, I brought you some [Beverage]/[Food].
>Do you think we could tie [this character]'s backstory in with the current BBEG's? That way he would have a solid reason to adventure with the group.

>"My pussy is moist and ready for you."

>When you print out background information and a world map for everyone, and everyone shows up to the session prepared
>When a player brings a tablet to the session, but only uses it to (double)check the rules in his PDF files

>lets work on scheduling and lay down ground rules one what we are not ok with before going any further because I really want this group to be able to come together and have a good game.

>Hey DM, do you have a setting document I can look at?
Every single time a player has asked me this, they've been the best player in the group.

Damn good feels bro.

Pls user, a woman in a gaming group is usually a red flag, ESPECIALLY if she wants to hump someone else in the group.

>Everyone shows up early for the first session.

>Everyone shows up 15 minutes before each session for small-talk and catching up

>More then 2 people show up for the second session

>GM can talk with me for hours about his setting and characters with enthusiasm

>Everyone shows up for session 0 and spends the time coming up with a functional party with shared backstories and a common objective

>Players are willing to listen to me talk about the setting and characters
>Players ask interesting questions about the setting and characters that help me flesh it out better

One day I will make it, anons. One day I will be able to run a game with enthusiasm unending and finish a campaign that I actually prepare for and don't improv 99.9%

>The DM has a "premise" for the game that isn't just "you all meet in a bar" or "IT'S A SANDBOX/WEST MARCHES TYPE OF GAME!"

Yeah, alot of people bitch that it's railroading, but I'd rather have a clear goal to work towards and the DM have an entertaining story prepared than just wander around in a sandbox while the DM pulls random-table-generated content out of his ass with no real story context because he didn't actually plan anything.

>Players actually finish the puzzle with their own efforts
>Players remember the awesome NPCs I spent hours creating

My favorite type of game (to play and to run) is one where the party starts with a common objective but the game itself runs like an automatic sandbox, where stuff happens in the world even if the players don't choose to get involved in that particular event.

Needs a group of self-motivating and creative players, though. Also these kinds of games are a bitch to run, so I get them very rarely.

>players refer to each other with in-character names or nicknames based on achievements, not by their class/race/age/their similarities to other characters in media/ their actual real life name

I did that last one... for my Cohort that I'm getting with the Leadership feat. Pathfinder, rise of the runelords. She's a former minion of the runelords, and got hurled through time or something to join our party. Figured if I'm going with something that broken, I'll at least flavor it nicely so the GM won't just kill her off.

You are my fave kind of DM

I have bulk tiny adventures like side quests like a Bethesda RPGs like little things like go here and kill a rival/explore/steal some shit/spy on someone/kill a monster pretty much single session worth of gameplay. Then I have bigger side quests that lead on and touch into the main story at times. The players are free to roam and explore the towns the wastelands and everywhere else in between.

>let me turn off/silence my phone real quick

But... doesn't this describe every GM? It's more impressive if the players can do this.

You'd be surprised. A lot of GMs don't give a fuck about the setting (if they even bother to have one) and don't like answering even the most basic questions that don't pertain directly to their preferred story.

>mfw all of this

Ypu are still struggling with the rules? Alright what parts are you struggling with and we'll see what we can get through?

What about:
>Hey GM, can we have a proto-session where we play a non-cannon adventure to help get to grips with the social, combat, and stealth mechanics before we jump into the main game?
?

>DM has gorgeously detailed maps
>DM has battle music picked out, or even ambient music

>GM gives you a rundown of the setting and the premise of the campaign and is there to answer questions and help with your backstory

Seriously, I want my character to fit into the world and story and not just be a random smuck who happened walk by, but GMs seem to get really skittish when I try to press them for details beyond "medieval fantasy".

>players bring a list of questions to talk about before sessions

>mfw I do this everytime with each GM I play with

>When you actually have people to play with
;_:

>The player meets you in advance to make their character.
>The players with each other to plan characters around each other.
>The players read the page of flavour text you provided them
>The players with flexible work schedules book the game sessions off.

Not really a green flag, is it. Just definitely not a red flag.

>new player has read the rules back to front and doesn't have to ask what die to roll every turn.

I'm so happy Veeky Forums is having a happy thread! Those are hard to start here!

>when the players thank you for hosting and DMing the game
>when the players give actual constructive feedback

>Two women in my group of six (including GM)
>Both are great players and great people.
>One is the GM's fiancee, but there's no favoritism or special treatment.

>No favoritism of special treatment.

Why would you lie on the internet, user?

Because they're actually good, mature people and both longtime fans of D&D, even before they met. The closest thing to 'favoritism' was her joining the campaign a little later because she'd been working (which the rest of the group was really happy about) and her character's backstory being tied to one of the quests, because it was easier for the GM to plan.

>He actually believes this.

Hate to break it to you, but she's probably having sex with him, so the moment she wants special treatment, she's going to get it.

>Hate to break it to you, but she's probably having sex with him
>The GM's fiancee and partner of three years is PROBABLY having sex with him

I can understand your skepticism, and even I was weary at first, but I can honestly say I've never seen any favoritism or special treatment.

>Married people might have sex
What twisted shit is this? Somebody call the FBI.

Married people having sex? I thought that was the opposite of what happens when two people get married?

You're retarded aren't you?
>Married people having sex is bad
Also, how pathetic are you that you would allow yourself to be swayed with your dick
>I got pussy, so I must make her happy to keep having muh pussy
Kill yourself, or I'll kill your family.

I don't even know what to say to this shit

>Retarded people on 4chins.
What twisted shit is this. Somebody call the FBI.

That being said, my own personal experiences with women and DnD have been enough to make me wary, but for different reasons. Had a few that showed up just because their partners were in my group, with no interest in actually playing the game and just making themselves distractions with their bored/disinterested "commentary".

That's fine, because everyone has had different experiences dealing with the same thing. I'm not wary about females the ones I play with are nice and don't break rules but I'm more weary about the boy friendswho try to favoritism one way or another, which pisses them and myself off. I hate men who allow their dick to sway their opinions and ideals. It's disgusting in the same pathetic way a murderer pleads for mercy from a lynch mob when he raped and murder a child.

Seen this happen as well, it usually goes something like:

>I want to spend more time with my partner
>Showing an interest in hobbies means there's something else we can do to spend time together
>OMG THIS IS SO HARD/BORING
>Instead of finding something else to do or letting him "guy time" with his friends, I'm going to continue to tag along and complain about it and try to make him quit early or lose interest in the hobby.

If a female player actually wants to participate in the game and shows legitimate personal interest, I've got no problems. But always avoid the ones with no experience who just show up just because it's something to do. In fact, apply this to both genders, as I've gotten a fair of male That Guys this way too.

Then you kick them out, and if their partner kicks a fuss, kick them, too.
The only reason you are "wary" is because you were too much a beta bitch to take the situation in hand and resolve it definitively, like most people on this board that complain about a particular group rather than the singular brand they all fall under: Assholes.
You know what an asshole is?
"Anyone who comes to a game group and makes the game less fun for others in the group."
No need to scream about women, or men, or that guy/girl/the fuck ever. All are equally assholes, and are named such.

I love how you assume I didn't with such vehement hostility. I think that says more about you than anyone else.

What's it like not having any friends ever? In real life coping and getting along with people without screeching at them like an autistic monkey is part of basic social intelligence.

I consider how you said it happened repeatedly as a clear sign you did not handle it appropriately.
Sperging out at the table is not handling it appropriately.
Passive aggression isn't appropriate.
You are proving you are exactly what I pegged you as.

A problem happens repeatedly, you become wary of it happening again. How the problem is handled has absolutely nothing to do with the first part.

Anything else you'd like to project while we're at this?

>YOU SHOULD KICK EVERYONE EVER AT THE SLIGHTEST PROVOCATION!
>SPERGING OUT ISN;T THE APPROPRIATE WAY TO HANDLE IT THOUGH

Holy shit kid, do you have any idea how utterly and absolutely retarded you sound. Holy shit. Just stop posting, I can already feel your butthurt from here.

How a problem is handled has no bearing on it occurring in the first place. Go back to tumblr if you wana be be an SJW white-knight who thinks everyone except yourself is an "asshole".

Sadly, user, I have the ability to choose who I spend my personal time with.
I had people like that in my group in the past, and I told them they either invested in the game or were shipped out. Some manned up, many didn't, and if the SO had a problem with my approach, I told them they could leave, too.
A game group is pointedly not like regular life, and the idea you must endure bullshit during what is supposed to be pleasant distraction is retarded schlock dipped out by people who think they can't do better and need to make excuses.
>How the problem is handled has absolutely nothing to do with the first part.
>my being irrational about a situation coming up doesn't affect the odds of the situation coming up
Guess what, user?
People aren't wary about situations they realize they can and have under control.
>I am going to completely ignore the context of the conversation so I can greenpost!
You forgot
>:^)

>who thinks everyone except yourself is an "asshole".
And when did I say that?
I have no problem being an asshole IF it settles disruption in my game group.
Some must BE the asshole sometimes to put shit to rest. Being afraid to take the step is why you have so many posts (like the ones in this thread) to begin with. Cowards and beta bitches.

Yes, you do have the ability to ensure you're a completely friendless loner because everyone except you is wrong abpout everything ever due to your own projected insecurities. Congratulations kid, careful not to cut yourself on that edge. I'm gonna go find another thread that's free of your asspain now, so have fun shitting it up with everyone here I guess. Enjoy your "victory".

>:^)

>tfw this was supposed to be a thread about nice things, but idiots have to ruin everything

>don't take shit from people who are making my game group have less fun
>YOU MUST BE A FRIENDLESS LONER!
Go ahead and keep with that, user.

Just one idiot.

All it usually takes on 4chins.
The sad part is, it was probably intentional too.

This is what makes Veeky Forums what it is. A huge pile of feces covering up diamonds and gold

You're talking about Veeky Forums and not TTRPG players right?

Because that's an accurate description.

>tfw made the post with the Ocelot gif

I just wanted to share how nice my group is.

It's TTRPG players too, although the hobby has gotten alot better about it lately as it becomes more mainstream and "normal".

That being said, the local game store where I live is still mostly overweight neckbeards that never bathe... but then again the main attaction at the game store is Friday Night Magic, they never run anything else remotely interesting. We don't even have Adventure League here.

Not your fault user.

Haters gonna hate

I try and hand draw all my maps and scenery for my games even tho i play on roll20

A-am i a good GM?

Yes user, you are a good GM. Would you GM for me?

>she's probably having sex with him
NO!!!!
All jokes aside, and even assuming you're right about the asking for favors part, it looks like she doesn't resort to such tactics, either because she doesn't want to (wome can have honor?????) or never felt the need to.

Cynicism is hip and cool nowadays

>I'd like to attempt this maneuver to gain a tactical advantage and look cool and I've double checked the relevant rules, I just need your approval after you look it over, GM

>We follow along with the puzzle you made and solve it after some group discussion

>We like this choice you've given us and although we initially disagree with reach a compromise based on our IC values and some RP

Makes my day every time.

>players and GM are willing to do each a proto-session one on one to flesh out their character and familiarise them with the setting
It was awesome every time it happened

>everybody shows up 2 hours before each session to discuss memes and have fun, and then eat before getting started

That was my favorite time GMing..

>players get genuinely freaked out in a spooky situation and panic rapidly sets in
>multiple compliments after the encounter about how good it was set up and played out
That campaign petered out pretty quickly because I ended up getting 4 weeks of night shifts that put it on long term hiatus and eventual death. But I fucking loved setting that one encounter up and the players loved it too.

That's my current game, and I love it. I cook a big meal for all my players and we just get to hang out. This game probably saved my life, and in so thankful for them all. We're family. No way around it now.

>Work graveyards
>The only way I can get 8 hours of sleep is to wake up right at game time
>It's okay because everyone else is always about 10 minutes late

I don't know how to feel about this

Two are fine, one is the most blatant GM wish fulfilment bullshit. Unless you /pol/ your game up and ban races I'm going to pick what I want and build connections from there.

Overarching details and player appreciation are fine and good. Sucking your settings dick is not

But what if i already am

God I wish my players gave this much of a shit...

>They put their phones away when the session started

>I hate people liking things, and your vision of coherence is shit and wrong and you suck your own dick
Someone needs to chill. He just likes something rare in the setting to be rare in the party. Even if you don't do things this way it's understandable.

That's a mighty entitled way to handle it, for a player.

Keep in mind that the game is as much for the fun of the GM than it is for the fun of the players so if my GM tells me that in the fantasy samurai setting we are going to play westerners are considered to have no souls and can be KOSd by said samurai, as well as telling me that we can only play humans because elves, dwarves and hobbits don't exist and nagas are off-limits, I will either tell him "I'm on board, that sounds awesome!" or "Sorry, that's not for me. Maybe another time"

It all has to be resolved as maturely and responsibly as it can be resolved.

>WEST MARCHES TYPE OF GAME!
FUCK WEST MARCHES HOLY SHIT
One of my D&D Discord servers became WEST MARCHES ONLY ALL THE TIME because the GM is a lazy fucking faggot who doesn't actually want to put in any real work.

>user lays out the post numbers horizontally to avoid cluttering up the thread

This is good too. Would have saved a shadowrun game a local tried.
>oh wait, but he turned out to be That Guy with a teenage waifu and had a police station in Shadowrun that was a two-story, stand-alone building with a parking lot next to it

>improv 99.9%
I bet you use a random encounters table.

Can't say I do. the .10% I prepare are generally the monsters I have the party face and, since I am a railroading asshole, they will face them because of the Quantum Og-Monsters mechanics.

>Going down a road in the forest, I see. A mix between a Tiger, a bat and a T-Rex fucking jumps out and tries to eat your face. Roll for initiative.

My biggest sin was that I usually take a look at monster stats and mish-mash things that make sense.

>Level 4 party encounter for 4 characters
>Alright... then it has about 85HP
>It will have... a +7 to multiattacks (two attacks) for... 3d8 piercing damage
>Can also attack an area because of its tail, that will be a dexterity save DC 15... or get about... 2d6 blunt damage +4
>Also a roar that could stun bitches, DC 15... constitution save or be stunned until the start of its next turn

I generally make the stats up like, 5 minutes before the game starts and crap out NPCs that I didn't flesh out beforehand.

As such, my games are garbage.

okay, the thing with the waifu i get, but

>police station in Shadowrun that was a two-story, stand-alone building with a parking lot next to it

Whats wrong with this exactly? Its unusual maybe, but i could see a particularly large city doing it for sheer efficacy.

>a player keeps a journal of events
>he's not a Deathnote faggot

I have a notepad doc with any relevant information from the main quest and pertinent side quests i know of.

Does that count?

also, are there still deathnote fags? most people pretty unilaterally agree the ending half is shit

Ok

What game do you want to play?

It was too small. Guy was from bumfuck nowhere Oklahoma and figured a 20-car police force would be impressive.
The building in Assault on Precinct 13 was larger, and this was supposed to be the police headquarters. Inner city (it is Shadowrun), they'll usually take the bottom few floors of a skyscraper, and more than that if it's headquarters and they have paperpushers to seat.

But this isn't a thread about bitching at people.

>play thematically appropriate music while GMing
>players actually comment on it instead of ignoring/muting it

I didn't know it could get better than that until it actually happened
>finally at the end of a decent-length, high-powerlevel campaign
>put on one of my very favorite tracks that's been dear to my heart for years, embodying the sheer scale of the struggle, which I'd wanted to use for something like this forever
>half the players speak up in the middle of the fight complimenting my taste
>when the campaign's over they ask me to send it to them
even a single compliment like that is all it takes to make GMing feel wholly worthwhile

you sound like a faggot who plays inappropriate anime music a lot and forces everyone to mute it

>Has to shit all over somebody expressing a humble but poignant joy of community gaming

Seems like you've already wasted your life being a faggot, so why not do everybody else a favor and just end it, homie?

If I keep a notebook on the campaign, I'm sure as hell including a list of all PCs and NPCs that my character (or me, fuck you) wants to kill.

>the GM works the in-house memes into the campaign

Always gives me a chuckle.

>Players come with their own dices, and even take some spare in case someone doesn't.