Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced? Rare edition/printings? What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?

Other urls found in this thread:

beastsofwar.com/batman-the-board-game/monolith-announces-big-project/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For a while, it was me and Corto... now I guess it's Star Trek Catan.

Did you find a copy of Corto finally, or is that dream dead forever?

Twilight Imperium Expansions. Both go for absurd prices because Fantasy Flight hasn't reprinted them in over a year.

No, I finally found a copy... I paid more than I'd have liked (£36 - my goal was £25, but I was too late for that) but I got it.

>what can you never seem to find a copy of?
Catan: Explorers & Pirates took me a long time to find. I recently picked up a copy in New Hampshire on a day trip. The store I went to had every Catan expansion, their 5-6 player extensions, and sizable collection of other board games by category.
There aren't any board game shops anywhere nearby and toy stores either had Base Catan or nothing at all.
Also, I posted in the last /bgg/ about Xia. If I can find a solid copy for less than $100 I'll buy it.

>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced? Rare edition/printings?

I blame Minifig! I never even knew there was a 'Groo' board game. I see it and the expansion from time to time, but it's always at $tupid high prices.

> What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?

The box has some damage, but the contents are near mint - a copy of the old Avalon Hill solo game "Raid on St. Nazaire". Such a good game.

>Also, I posted in the last /bgg/ about Xia. If I can find a solid copy for less than $100 I'll buy it.

Take a look at the Board Game Geek bazaar - I see at least one that would fit your criteria if you're looking for an English language copy.

>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of?
Nothing really, everything can be found these days
>Overpriced?
Oh yeah, sure, I used to really want Star Wars Queen's Gambit and Epic duels. But I'm pretty sick of star wars now I have to say.
>Rare edition/printings?
Havent found a reason to care for a particular printing.
What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?
Well, if heroscape was completely gone I'd have a hard time parting with it. (as it stands, if someone offeres me 5000 bucks for it, I'd take it, I'd be able to buy an even bigger collection for that sum. mwahahaha)

>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced?
I guess for me it'd be the expansions to the Space Hulk Death Angle card game. Each one is ~$25 and I can't justify spending that much on them as much as I want to

aren't they both about to get a reprint soon?

I put off Among the Stars at the end of last year and it's been out of stock everywhere since. I'd love to find a (new) copy of that for ~$35-40.

I realized about a week ago that Nitroplus Card Masters is just a reskin of Dominion, so now I'm looking for a good price. I don't think I've seen any of the 4(?) sets for under $150 so far, so fuck me. They also have first editions with extra stuff, so double fuck me.

Apart from the forever-out-of-reach Dune, I'd like to get a copy of Splendor priced according to the components and not the box size.

Thank you 'Amazon user' from the previous thread. My copies of Treasure Hunter and 'Armageddon - From the ground up' arrived. I've got Meeples for days! It's sweet when you can spend $30 and get $100 retail worth of games delivered to your door. I have no idea if Armageddon is good or not, but for $15 how far wrong can I go? I was considering it before but wasn't a fan of the nearly $70 price tag.

Let me guess, that card is the market. I was considering that maid card game, but no need to learn a new game for my animu boobies. Thank you based Japan.

Hell, maybe they can finally make a good client with that game

>tfw bought both in shrink for $20 each

My local store just got Blood Rage and it's priced at some 90 euros, give or take. I don't particularly like the theme, but is the game good? And I mean really good, not mild, or just another case of overrated garbage like Scythe? I see redditors claim it's better than Kemet.

>I'd like to get a copy of Splendor priced according to the components and not the box size
Same here user. I like Splendor but not enough to shell out $40 for it

Check out this post last thread >

I've only gotten to play it once, but it's ok; it's not going to be my favorite drafting game ever, not going to be my favorite dudes on a map ever, but I'd play it again. Granted I was at the end of a long week and brain dead so I might not've gotten the most out of it, the minis are really nice, but that's standard for CMoN

>>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of?
The nonexistant Forbidden Stars expac.
>What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?
CitOW.

can I get a quick rundown on Jaipur and trains meme?

user(s?) spammed Jaipur posts every day for a couple weeks, made a couple OP's with
>why is pic related the greatest game ever designed?
as header, and posted BGG pics of a DIY ultradeluxe version some guy crafted claiming it was going to be produced officially for USD $60. Jaipurfag and his autistic trolling stopped eventually, but he is surely still around.

Ask Minifig about maglev trains.

Then someone put together to commemorate the trend.

>The non-existant Forbidden Stars expac.

No shiz! I would have loved an expansion with the Nids in it. Yet again, GeeDubs finds a way to fuck up a side game.

Anybody back the Mega Man board game or have a pdf of the rules? I know the game is complete shit but I'm just curious to see how bad they fucked everything up

>Grail games; what can you never seem to find a copy of? Overpriced? Rare edition/printings?
It hasn't been a long hunt yet but it's looking like Conan may end up here.

>What have you found and are unwilling to part with at any cost?
Right now, Yggrasil

>It hasn't been a long hunt yet but it's looking like Conan may end up here.
$100 for one third of a game, fuck that.

Yeah, it's that third of a game that's the problem. By all accounts its pretty great, but so much is locked behind KS exclusives that you'd pretty much have to find somebody selling a pledge edition to really "get" Conan.

I don't back KS's with non-cosmetic exclusive content on principle.

Breadpill me on Xenoshyft.

I've played a metric ungodly shitload of Dominion and other deckbuilders, and I have some extremely high quality co-op/solo games in the form of a solid LotR LCG collection & Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Ops.

Is there anything for me in Xenoshyft that I haven't seen a million times?

Can someone fill me in on how Human Interface plays? It looks nice aesthetically, but I have heard some bad things about the actual gameplay.

Any games suited for 3 players other than Hanabi? We've tried some, but they are underwhelming with less than 4 players.

>It hasn't been a long hunt yet but it's looking like Conan may end up here.
I'm content to wait on the batman reskin.

???

No doubt another shitty kikescammer which will kill retail sales due to 2/3rds of the game being unavailable.

beastsofwar.com/batman-the-board-game/monolith-announces-big-project/

Imagine a mix between Vampire: The Eternal Struggle and Dominion, laced with combat that reminds me of Magic. Plus it has a really cool theme and artwork, though the artwork really is a matter of taste. Check it out.

Legendary: A Marvel deck-building game

I've played it about 6 times now. The draft seems like a case of them riding the drafting train anda lazy balance method. Some cards are op and it's not about picking which op you want, some are good, and a few are niche and only work if you have a specific gameplan.

The actual marketing is crap. You don't go out murdering others all the time. Unless you have a specific setup you just burn yourself out and others take it from there. The game is more about careful area control, bluffing and picking your battles. There is a lot of player agency though. If you fuck up you lose consistently. Some people dislike that later ages have more weight, but I say it is balanced enough. Later ages also can pass faster so if you have the advantage you can use that as leverage. It is noob unfriendly though, getting one new player can really help someone else as he doesn't draft well and can suicide on someone when he shouldn't.

I haven't played Kemet but I did pay Cyclades. Cyclades has almost perfect knowledge and you are really limited, you have to set up multiple venues of attack to succeed. And it's balancing tool is bidding. In BR the turns are more flexible but you play more defencifly because you don't know what others drafted.

It is about picking the OP you want*

Name 3 things that automatically make you lose interest in a game. I'll go first.

Pseudo-DLC exclusive content, especially if the game feels incomplete without it.
Blatant IP cashgrab, plastering theme over a mediocre game,
Games where the main strategy is being the loudest, most obnoxious fucker in the room.

Epic card game?

Game is 70%+ card based/has no physical boards.
Almost completely luck based.
Is based on Vietnam or the Pacific theatre of WWII.

>No player agency-you just hope and pray you get lucky enough to win
>Content is unavailable if you didn't back it on kickstarter
>The game looks fantastic but plays like complete shit

Dice.

Collectible games featuring randomly inserted booster packs of cards/dice. AKA pay2win
Forced app integration
Overhyped, overrated games and designers, shilling of bullshit KS

Viticulture, Mottinai, Ticket to Ride
Random points-scoring
Stocks are involved somehow
Massive downtime between turns

>IP or Theme I don't care for.
This is probably the biggest killer for me ("Comic Book" being the largest miss), a reason why I'll still probably be looking for a reasonable price on a complete Conan rather than even looking at the alleged Batman reskin. Now, there are situations like Arcane Academy -- I only found out it was based on some comic after I played because the Wizard School theme was perfectly serviceable without that, but in general if I don't give a shit about or dislike your theme, I probably won't mess with your game.

>Everywhere shitty art
... I realize now that my three points aren't going to actually speak to game quality, but I feel like "It's a bad game" is a no-brainer. So, yeah, when I'm not busy being a shitposting, Veeky Forums-playing autist I'm a Caterer and one thing that's taught me is to not be ashamed when I insist that presentation matters! It really does. I can do abstract games with no art and an elegant design, but if you throw BAD art everywhere, then you are dangerously close to losing my patience, which for a game is a most dangerous thing to do.

>Loads and loads of locked content
Look, I don't totally hate KS exclusives, even ones that (theoretically) have game content. Look at Relic Knights: they have a few cosplay models (with different stats from their normal forms) that can only be got through KS, late pledge, or hinted at cons and shit after, and a couple pure cosmetics for during-campaign only. That's OK. I look at some other kickstarters that have like one extra piece or a couple bonus action cards that were for backers, and I'm not going to be too upset. But when you get something where meaty fucking content becomes forever unavailable, it's a real buzzkill. I might still chase it, but it's a lot less likely than if there were a method even a "wait around for the KS content to come out over the course of a couple slow-rolled expansions" method, to get "everything" at retail.

Is there anything terribly different between the 2014 First Edition and the second printing in 2015? One on bgg said it doesn't have any of the Kickstarter exclusives.

Games where the fastest person always wins, random combat & dice chucking (i.e. Risk), anything to do with zombies

Found the eurofag. Man it must have hurt when your god Rosenberg came to the side of the RNG with Feast for Odin.

7 Wonders

Splendor

Le Havre is pretty great at three, at least from what I've experienced

>tfw I only just remembered I bought inAbind at the Expo, because it's that damn tiny

You merely embraced the grognard.
I was born in it. Molded by it.

Your casual-tier "lolsorandomXD" metrosexual nu-nerd gaymer-games are of no account to me. I have no idea who Rosenberg is and I know nothing about Feast For Odin at all.

Alright Veeky Forums tell me about your boardgame ideas.

>Overpriced
All of them, they are imported and the import tax where I live is retarded. Paid $120 for fucking KONY last week.

>I have no idea who Rosenberg is and I know nothing about Feast For Odin at all.

Translation: "I live in my parent's basement, and all they let me play is Scrabble."

'Straya?

If it is he got ripped off big time. Our prices are bad, but not that bad.

I'm thinking it's much more likely to be South America. Sadly their postal service is notoriously unreliable.

Anyone played Scythe? Seems good for five players, but how does it hold up 1v1?

Die Hard: The Board Game
Simple as fuck take-that where you're playing students trying to clean your rooms before your parents arrive.
Tough Mudder: The Card Game The game itself would be almsot insultingly simple, and would exist more to let people know how fucking difficult that shit is and how you shouldn't just turn up with the idea that it'll be a step up from a fucking jungle gym, like some participants assume it'll be

>(it) would exist more to let people know how fucking difficult that shit is and how you shouldn't just turn up with the idea that it'll be a step up from a fucking jungle gym, like some participants assume it'll be

look out for this asshole with something to prove.

I don't own it but I wanna try it on TTS

Boring as hell as a multiplayer but an amazing puzzle game solo.

Expensive games (mostly applies to card games or games that feel incomplete without expansions)
Games where dice chucking is used to solve everything to the point it becomes just rolling dice with no real strategy involved (See: Risk. I can bear it on things like KOT even, but fuck risk)
Games that try to be "poor videogames" instead of levaring the physicality and social aspect of board gaming.
2 player games, see previous point.

Nope.

Ding ding ding. 50% tax on all imports, plus shipping costs, unreliable postal service, importers making a profit if you don't import yourself, etc.

Minifig's usually full of shit, but he's got a point - Tough Mudder is mostly run by tryhards looking to prove something. Thing is, only about 50-75% of those tryhards bothered to do any training, and that 25-50% are the main reason paramedics are onsite at those things... well, that and the exposed electrical wires dangling over parts of the course. And the tent full of tear gas. And the waterslide with fire at the bottom

tl;dr, Tough Mudder is bullshit shenanigans, as are all of these stupid obstacle courses.

can somebody redpill me on the act of buying games?

So I've been into the hobby for about a year now, and I've been using miniature market, coolstuffinc, bgg market, and amazon depending on which has the best prices specifically for what i want at the time or sometimes just based on availability. I tend to favor miniature market though.

Anyways, I was wondering if I'm missing something? any tips?

Also, I'm interested in buying several games from oink games as well as some jacques zeimet games and I feel like there must be some way to get like a bundle or something.... I figure i could just buy the individual games i want one by one but that almost feels painful considering its all the same people lol... and just in general some of these games aren't available from my usual places i order from.

Any advice super appreciated! thanks in advance :^)

I go to conventions and barter with the big board game sellers right at the end as they're getting ready to pack up. Typically, if you offer to pay cash and pick out a few games they'll usually give you a good price.
No guarantees though. Had one guy get really mad at me once. He had tons of stock left and kept shouting "bullshit" really loud when I'd tell him his counter-offers were worse than amazon prices, even when I had them brought up on my phone to show him. I was so embarrassed by his behavior I just put the games on the ground in front of him and walked away.

The last day of Origins is tomorrow, and that's where I get some pretty good deals. Got Star Wars Rebellion last year for $60 (from the coolstuff inc booth, i think) and the anniversary edition of galaxy trucker (the one with all the expansions) for $50 from a place that had a stack of them 6 ft high.

Speaking of Origins, anyone else going to be there tomorrow?

Oh, I forgot, also sometimes the big company booths will sell their open games used for demos at the end of a convention too, you just need to ask. you just need to double check the contents to make sure nothings missing. I've got some new stuff for very good prices that way. They really weren't too worn or grimy either.

Thanks for the great advice! Haven't been to a convention yet :0 but I've been thinking about it! Just not in a great financial position at the moment. In any case, i appreciate the insight and hope to apply your advice in the future.

What's the opinion on 504?
Seems like a dumb gimmick that just nets a ton of subpar games, but may be an interesting pick to test different types of board games or something?

Casualfag located

>Amazon has sales during big cons (Essen/Gencon)
>CSI buying/selling module
Edit your front page, put this near the top, check it twice a day at least
>CSI unwritten hold policy
Same idea as MM, different rules/method; set delivery option to pickup (main store Maitland?) then when you hit free shipping, email ask to ship out and refund sales tax, downside only one daily deal allowed with this
>Rewards programs
Fuck em, MM is a pittance and the CSI % off isn't really worth it; there is pretty much always a coupon up for CSI $5 off $75 though, if you hit an order for $100, use the coupon to drop it you'll still get the free shipping
>Black Friday/Xmas
Good sales, but it might require loss of sleep to get some of those lightning deals online for one hour only, or getting to stores
>B&N Clearance (might be dead there's "employee" reports saying yes/no)
Corporate owned stores are required to have their shelves set a certain way, so red dot sales will start at 50% off and ramp up to 75-90% after a month or so when they need to make room for new product, just grab it at 50% and save the headache

Adding onto this, drop by the booth on the early days, and talk up the staff (better if you know they're not a volunteer getting a badge out of it but actual employee). Ask about the games, even if you've already researched, and ask pointed questions, you want them to remember you. If they think you're waffling and close to a sale they'll be even more likely to set you up on the final day. I've gotten more than a few deals at Gencon this way

Smaller cons you're likely to have no publishers and just retailers in a vendor hall. This is going to screw you a bit more because they're getting less profit off a sale than a publisher not going through wholesaler/distribution. Talking them up helps, but you're looking at usually a 10-20% off at best; you can get that at your LGS if you talk them up enough.

>Seems like a dumb gimmick that just nets a ton of subpar games
It is.

>Die Hard: The Board Game
I didn't know I needed this.

I wish we had obstacle courses like that, American Ninja Warrior is a fucking joke.

>roll and move combined with a spinner for combat resolution
We're not allowed to have nice things STEEV, you know that

1. Anything with zombies/the zombie apocalypse as a focus. holy fuck I am so burned out on zombies.

2. games that say they can be played "with 2-X people" but actually are pretty much worthless unless you have a minimum of 4 and/or need even numbers of players to make it play well

3. kickstarter games that have a huge chunk of their game locked behind their KS. I've really enjoyed backing a few games, but there's some that are just ridiculous. Like if you don't get in on it during the KS campaign then you're going to get 50% of the game unless you hunt down a KS edition or all the individual pieces

>or all the individual pieces
I'm okay with the KS offering bundle deals if the expacs-to-be aren't essential to the health of the game. Like, Blood Rage locked some almost essential content behind pay post-launch, but Scythe just had an extra large board, game trays, and resin and metal resource tokens.

Anybody see the kickstarter for a game called Street Masters? I'm feeling 50/50 on backing it. On the one hand it looks like a lot of fun, and i love co-op games especially ones with a single player option. On the other hand, it seems like the only way to get the bulk of the game is to go in on the higher price point option and then you're paying an extra $20 on boss cards. I'm just not sure about spending that much money right now on one game.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Scavenger: A post-apocalyptic survival game.
Never got far with this one. The basic idea was that at the beginning of the game players would decide on or randomly draw a scenario that describes what kind of apocalypse happened and what they need to do to win. E.g. a zombie apocalypse would have them collect building materials to fortify their base while a virus would have them search for a batch of medicine to stave off the effects of the virus. Working against them would be time, their own need for food, enemies in some scenarios or possibly other players who have their own individual victory conditions. Scrapped it because it got too complicated and would probably have taken longer to play than Arkham Horror.

Scare Crew: A Scooby-Doo inspired hidden movement/trap-laying game where one player takes the role of a "ghost" who tries to scare the other players out of a castle/mansion/etc, while the other players try to investigate the place or unmask the "ghost". Mentioned it here a few weeks ago and have written down a few pages of rules and character ideas since then, but haven't had the time to start making the board and other material.

I also once made a simple two-player combat game based on the Mega Man Battle Network games. Each player got one half of a 3x6 grid that they could move around in. Both players would put down two cards, one for movement and one for attack and reveal them simultaneously. If, after movement, a player was on a field the opponent's attack could hit he would recieve the attack. The player who could first reduce the opponent to 0HP wins. Game took about 5-10 minutes to play for one round.
Worked surprisingly well for a game that I essentially came up with in a single afternoon.

It's a garbage gimmick card game where you need to roll dice to solve card effects when you play them.

Basically CitOW/Rex but Bloodborne.

Heroes of Might & Magic as a board game. Never got farther then wishing it was a thing.

And yes I know someone made a licensed game, but it sucks so it doesn't count.

There's a shitload of classic eurogames (Castles of Burgundy, Kingsburg, etc.) that use dice.

The question is whether the dice are used to make game decisions more complex or more simple. Ameritrash games use dice to make player skill less relevant. This is the real problem, not the dice themselves.

(A Feast for Odin falls squarely into the 'more complex' camp, so sorry, nobody came to your shitty side.)

I've been wanting to create my own game based off of the combat of Mega Man Battle Network but it looks like you've beaten me to it

Guys

Guys hear me out

I got it, guys

Guys?

Zombies!

How about this
Zombies
Drafting
Bidding
Steampunk
Kickstarter exclusive
Miniature
Dudes on the map
Point salad

How about we add buying slaves to the mix?

Can someone explain CMON's business model? Those fuckers give you a 30 day window to buy one of their games on Kickstarter, which if you by some chance missed then you can kiss the fucking game goodbye since it's completely pointless to buy it from retail with the amount of exclusives you'll miss, never mind the retail version having much less shit in it and being the same price.

Just discovered a game that I'd love to have but the Kickstarter has already ended a while ago, so now I'm basically never going to get that game.

Didn't the Haitians already try Zombies as slave labor? I don't think it was really the 'value added' business measure. Turns out the ROI was terrible.

>Can someone explain CMON's business model?

It's called 'Buy Mah Shiz Now! cause later is to late.'

This was a big part of their split from Sodapop Minis; combined with their old MAP policy (no discounts period on a game less than a year old) it pissed off a lot of people. They're not quite as bad these days with KS exclusives, a lot of the Zombicide ones have cards on the web and can be proxied but there's still more than a few games that end up with paywalls of ebay gougers or expansions. The key is to ignore anything CMoN with plastic, and stick to the games they buy up from indie publishers and distribute.

Curious though; what's the game you looked at?

I'm new to board games. Here's what I'm planning to buy now:

The Resistance: Avalon
Dead of Winter: The Long Night
Pandemic
Pandemic: In the Lab
Cosmic Encounter
Cosmic Encounter: Dominion
Cosmic Encounter: Incursion

And maybe those:

Celestia
Spyfall
Concordia
Welcome to the Dungeon
Kemet
Skull

I'm especially interested in Cosmic Encounter, but I think the people that would play with me want to play this one in German, rather than English. Does anyone know how good the translation is? There's one Amazon review that states that the translation has many errors (e.g. mistranslating "discard down to three" as "discard three"), and the humour seems hard to translate.

Also, where best to get board games in Europe? I'd get something from one of the UK vendors in the pastebin, but because of the Brexit, I'd lose the high consumer protection standards guaranteed by the EU. Because I'm planning to buy a lot of stuff in the near future, I want to buy from a vendor within the Common Market.
What are the big board game vendors in Europe? Should I stick to those, to supermarkets, to comic book vendors? Heidelberger Spieleverlag seems to pop up all the time. Are they alright?

Massive Darkness, I have a hard-on for dungeon crawlers.

Did you just go down the SUSD website and pick all the ones they say to buy? You've got some good stuff on the list but it's a lot of it trends toward party/filler game. Not a bad thing if that's what your group/friends would be into but worth considering. All pretty decent games, but I would say don't waste money on Skull (just hand some coasters to an artistic friend along with a couple markers) and I'd argue Diamant is a better push you luck option than Celestia, especially the new Iello printing being gorgeous (had it shipped from France rather than getting the old EGG edition). You might also wait on Cosmic expansions until you've played the base quite a bit; FFG doesn't make those boxes cheap, and easier to unload just the base if it's not for you.

If you're German amazon.de has such a good selection people in the US order from them to get stuff not available here, or not out yet.

Gotcha, was wondering if it was something /bgg/ could find you a better option on, but dungeon crawls are too personal and most here will complain no one's got it right yet.