Mimics

Is it cooler in your opinion if mimics can essentially shape shift to copy the appearance of any object of appropriate size, so for example a mimic could be a chest, an end-table, a small plinth or a barrel at its own discretion or do you prefer your mimics to have one immutable 'disguised' form, for example a chest mimic can never be anything but a chest?

Other urls found in this thread:

royalroadl.com/fiction/8894/everybody-loves-large-chests
youtu.be/BFda1MZ54G4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I prefer my mimics to be inanimate object shapeshifters (in limits based on size) but my friend swears blind that mimics shouldn't be able to do that and that it makes them OP somehow.

The question only came up because one of my players wanted a tiny mimic as a familiar capable of shifting into most kinds of inanimate, nonmagical object within a few lbs with certain restrictions and I thought it was a pretty slick idea.

>inb4 he uses the mimic to shapeshift into any kind of key/similar thing he needs to break your plot

He'd have to let it see the key first, its too dumb to make a functional key from the lock itself, it'd be easier to just pick the lock.

One group I was in ended up with a friendly mimic named Mickey following us around. He ended up becoming our party mascot. He would usually take the form of a wagon, though the ST said that axles and wheels were too complicated for him to turn into, so we would need to attach the wheels to him ourselves. His ability to turn into nearly anything was really handy, especially when we'd have him turn into a short bridge or a sturdy ladder.

What's the most frightening mimic you can think of?

My first thought was a fleshlight mimic.

Rad, hopefully autonomous though. I'd not trust one of my players to have a full mimic like that.

Bed mimic.

Mug

Clothing... underwear.

Nah, Mickey was a GM NPC. He liked us because we kept feeding him goblins.

We ran into a mimic and one of the players decided to toss a dead goblin at it, so the mimic ate the corpse. Then we tossed it more and before we knew it the Mimic got attached to us and started following us around.

I like the idea of mimics that are some kind of mollusk/crustecean type of creature that grows inside of and forms its body shape to the object that its egg is laid inside of.

Either a hat mimic or a toilet mimic.

Man mimic

> Oh hey, I just found a sex toy in this ancient maze of deathtraps!
> No need to waste time, let's just stick my dick in it right now!
> Oh no!

You deserve every curse. All of them.

>Do not respond to Thing posts
>Hide Thing threads
>Sage Thing threads
Go away you.

anyone got that cellphone mimic image?

A vending machine mimic. Uses seemingly-abandoned fake food items or spare change as bait, to lure people into placing their hands in its mouth(s).

Wife mimic.

Like this but without the mad OP spell-like abilities and poison.

If it can be found in ikea they can shape shift into it.

What if Mimics were instead basically hermit-crab like monsters that moved into various physical objects and used them as an extended shell?

>have one more sock after doing laundry than before

Depends if you know she's a mimic or not.

I burn all my socks, just to be safe.

ok we all read dungeon meshi calm down.

>fleshlight mimic
>decides that being carried around and fed regularly is better than eating once and being thrown away
>behaves exactly as a regular fleshlight, only self-cleaning

You actually chose to post this.

any cool abilities you can give a mimic to make him less generic?

Compulsory dungeon meshi image.

Have them equipped with the magical loot they contain.

Have them use their adhesive abilities to crawl on the ceiling and dump objects on the players offensively or steal their shit and stick it to the roof.

Make them cowardly ambush predators who blow their sneak attack when confronted by multiple players disengage and run the fuck away leaving adhesive on the floor to cover their tracks in order to encourage paranoia down the track.

have them mimic dead bodies / clothing of previously killed enemies so when players backtrack they get ambushed what they assume are zombies.

Not exactly ability but their natural acid immunity means an obvious pit of acid in the same room as a grapple happy mimic can be a fun time.

A mimic can transform into anything with a certain size or weight limit?

air mimic

>that crab sliding its claw down his leg to his boot
no wonder he's so relaxed.

I prefer the "Default Form" Tis funnier that way.

I prefer the idea of a mimic being a bit like the boggarts from Harry Potter in that no one knows for sure what one looks like originally. They cobble together a disguise out of debris much like a bird building a nest. They base the disguise on something their prey(adventurers) would be drawn to, grafting the disguise directly to their bodies. They eat their prey whole, so they tend to also be full of valuable objects and gear that either hasn't or can't be destroyed by their digestive system.

>crab
its a mimic

It's mimicing a statue of a crab?

No, its the literal mimic.

In Dungeon Meshi, mimics are basically giant hermit crabs that hide in treasure chests, barrels, and other containers common in dungeons, in the hopes of catching unaware prey.

I hate it because it means that mimics are essentially just crabs hiding in boxes. It could be anything in the goddamn box so why a crab? Why not just have a Kobold with a spear pop out and stab you in the neck?

Gold coin mimic
Various forms of loot mimic (i.e. swords, armor, etc.)
Door mimic

At least in old DnD on up through the current editions they can turn into any object, chests are just common because they have the right volume and people walk up to them looking for treasure.

Well, crabs are more appetizing than kobolds, and this is a manga about both eating monsters and exploring how they function in weird ways.

Because there's very little reason for there to be a boxed kobold in every possible situation a mimic could be in, and "thematically appropriate minion locked in a box" isn't nearly interesting enough to make an iconic dungeon hazard.

Because kobolds are lame, and crabs are spooky

neither is 'crab in a box' thats the problem.

Kobolds in this setting are man-sized dogs.

the box is its shell. it is a hermit crab.

Reversest mimic
>semisapient slime-esque creatures that can feel surface thoughts and emotions.
>feed on joy and surprise
>they stick pieces of wood to their outer surface in an attempt to look like boxes or chests.
>collect scraps from around the dungeon when they can't feel anyone around.
>sometimes it's wood, sometimes metal, sometime cloth, sometimes flesh, hide, and bone from corpses.
>when it senses someone who might find it, it scuttles off to find a place to sit and starts using what it's collected to make various objects for visitors to find, smushing themselves flat against their wooden shell so that they look normal when opened.
>mimics don't inherently understand what living things want, but make guesses based on past experiences and what they manage to glean from visitors.
>young mimics will often mistakenly not recognize that some shapes are only supposed to be made from certain materials or it might mix up patterns
>This is why sometimes you'll see weird things like underwear made out of chainmail, sharpened wooden swords, or leather armour with inexplicably placed metal studs in it come out of dungeons. It's doing its best, but doesn't know any better.
>More experienced mimics figure out how to make more detailed or appealing equipment, and also copy trinkets and objects that they've seen visitors using, including magic items if they can find the right materials.

They just want to make you happy when you see what they've made for you.

You say that, but most lists of the most popular D&D monsters include "box-shaped slime monster", "bear with an owl head", and "Cthulhoid". All that matters is that they're widespread and/or dangerous enough to stick in the player's mind, and that the players encounter them before encountering stranger and more exotic fare.

I'm not saying its a dumb premise (at least, not dumber than any other) or anything I just feel like 'the box IS the monster' is a more palatable and thought provoking idea than 'crab in box', you've already said that 'appropriate monster locked in chest' is dumb and boring and thats essentially what I'm saying, I don't find box-crab to be greatly engaging.

Like ok, the idea of a mimic hermit-crab is cool narrative wise (and would be cooler if it used weapons like old cannons or crossbows or swords for limbs, just saiyan), but there's a reason the razor-toothed many limbed chest is the more iconic choice.

This is also a great explanation for studded leather existing.

A crab using random weapons in place of or as part of its pincers or body sounds pretty rad.

A golden colored hermit-crab with a treasure chest for a shell and swivel-guns in place of pinsers and pirate sabers for legs sounds cool as fuck.

>cooler
yes
>doable/plausible
yes

>but my friend swears blind that mimics shouldn't be able to do that and that
your friend is retarded

Doorknob mimic

Let me shill this story about a power fantasy with mimic as MC
royalroadl.com/fiction/8894/everybody-loves-large-chests

I like girls with big chests.

Last one I ran could spit gobs of mucus covered coins to deal light bludgeon damage and apply the mimic slime at range
Give it ranks in climb
Although the mimic disguised itself as an iron reinforced chest, the iron reinforcements are real and act as armor
The mimic gets resistance to the last damage type that hit it
Every time you attack the mimic it learns to copy the attack
Iron Maiden mimic
Table mimic

pc put on helmet he found
helmet was a mimic

I always just saw them as something which took the shape of mundane objects of a certain size or type. Things like Dungeon Meshi have recently made me wonder how mimics would actually work, though.

What kind of ecology would call for something which has the primary lifestyle of "sit completely still as a treasure chest deep inside a cave"? If they need to eat, that suggests this is a valid strategy for finding food. It only seems to work in settings where adventurers are exploring dungeons constantly, but never quite clearing them out somehow.

Assuming a setting where adventurers are rarer, the only thing I can think is that mimics are sort of like some kind of surface mimic octopus. They are mostly amorphous, camouflage as something in the area close to their size (though they can stretch and compact a little), and prowl around when nobody is looking to search for a good spot to hunker down in for a little while. It's some sort of cross between an octopus and a trap-door spider on a humanoid scale.

This would mean that, say, at night you might find a mimic scuttling around half-disguised as a chest and scavenging, or building some kind of "nest" to wait for prey. They wouldn't all be chests, but they'd often disguise as something mundane for the environment while still being interesting enough for an animal or other creature to come look at.

I don't know, it's the best I could think of.

I did that too.

A Dungeon mimic.
There was an user who posted a picture a while ago of his map. The was a huge maze and you had to race out whilst being careful, since literally everything around you could alert the mimic.

Oh, forgot to mention... they'd have to move around and change shape from time to time. Otherwise their primary prey (animals and monsters, probably) would move on out of fear of the area.

Maybe mimics are mostly immobile not by choice, but by necessity.

In the Hadopelegic zone, other than Cthulu and miscellaneous lovecraftian nightmares, there's a bunch of fish who live almost entirely on moving as little as possible and using ambush tactics when prey comes near, because at those levels, food is scarce enough that any amount of unnecessary movement will expend the few calories you can manage to get.

Maybe Mimics just have incredibly slow metabolisms, and can survive on just one or two adventurers every few hundred years by virtue of conserving every single calorie they get from their prey.

Why can't Unbodied and Changelings change into inanimate objects?

This already exists. They just haven't evolved lungs yet.
youtu.be/BFda1MZ54G4

It's not only convincing, it may work a bit better than a regular one, won't get worn out as easily and takes care of my fetish of tentacle blowjobs all at once.
I'll take two.
Please.

Kek'd

I'm well aware of the octopus. There's a few different kinds out there like this, which is sort of what I was inspired by for how the mimic might work.

They're not universally crabs, they're crustaceans of various types. Dungeon Meshi is also a setting with a high degree of thought and verisimilitude. I think a magical box is more "neat", but the hermit crab thing is a much better fit for the setting.

Similar to how a fighter riding a golden lion into battle is neat, but wouldn't make sense in, say, game of thrones.

I mostly just wanted the excuse to show people the video. They're neat, aren't they?

Mimics that can only turn into chests make no fucking sense unless they're extremely rare and dangerous so that literally nobody knows they exist.

There's no reason why anyone would ever use a treasure chest of that shape instead of dozens of other potential containers ever again if they knew it could try to eat them

The trick with boggarts, as I remember, was that they transformed when they saw you, not when you saw it. No one knew what one really looked like because no one could X-ray vision through a box containing one.
I daresay Moody knew, but he's dead.

What I've found works best for me over the past few years is: Mimics are molluscs with some -limited- ability to grow a shell that basically mimics whatever they think would make a good disguise to attract or lure prey items close enough to get eat. While they aren't sapient by any means: they are quite clever and they can learn, grow, develop their skills, and even begin adding or decorating their shells to be more convincing mimics.

Examples:
-Mimics in more natural environments would grow shells (a process that takes about a week) in the shapes of logs, stones, stumps, etc. They'd shape themselves into nooks or cranny environments with a very clear hole leading animals directly into their mouths for them to lap up with their spiky, stick, clam-tongues. Older mimics however can and will make more convincing disguises: they'll put more effort into the shape, colour, & physical texture, of their shells- even going so far as to decorate them with debris or allow smaller unappealing food items to rest upon them undisturbed.
-Mimics in more urban or man-made environments though will obviously develop shells that mimic man-made objects, ideally ones they see humans or livestock interacting on a regular basis: chests, barrels, feeding troughs, even large or unconventional objects such as bridges or doors can potentially be a mimic.

With all that said though, it's obviously not a perfect process and a mimic is still just an animal: it can't recreate how an item smells, how much it weighs, it's density, it can only copy the physical appearance- anything more complicated is beyond the skills of such an animal. Mimics, as well, need to make "portholes" in their shell disguises to breath and SEE, besides the obvious mouth-hole.

I hate this fucking mimic. Who the fuck doesn't look up when they're climbing a ladder?

My mimics are like hermit crabs. They find protective homes and attempt to make themselves look tantalizing to adventurers.
As for why they focus on hunting rare travelers over much more common creatures, no comment.

I think the idea is that the moment you put your hand on it, it grabs and coils you up. It still requires someone inattentive though.

Most of Vemp's mimics were made with the Souls series in mind, where the camera is angled slightly downwards when climbing ladders.

It hides it's body over the ledge obv and doesn't lunge over until you get near the top

With that said: I've been using the "Dungeon Hermit Crabs" as well, but prefer they be... A direct predator/by product of shellfish mimics in the first place and not in fact "THEE" mimics themselves. People mistake them for mimics all the time, of course, but the crabs don't make the shells- they just find them or substitute them with man-made objects or skulls.

I originally knew it from Monster Hunter; those large crabs that stuff themselves inside dragon or dinosaur bones before waddling off, but I think Dungeon Meshi's crabs are fine too.

It's also just something Hermit Crabs will do in real life if they can't find adequate or appropriate shells: improvise with whatever is available since tourists take all the fucking shells and leave behind trash.

Mimics should be enchanted objects, but shapeshifters acceptable.
mimics as a species that evolved to look like "the one model of chest that everyone uses for some reason" is retarded.
they would never succeed at luring travelers when they were at the stage of "kind of looking like a chest" if waiting for someone to go by them was their only way to eat.
once the became prevalent, everyone would change the way real chests looked, and a mimic would have to evolve to that.

I did something like that once, based on pic related.
I had a player who enjoyed drawing out maps of dungeons, so I decided to make a dungeon that was shaped like a typical chest mimic.
When they reached the central room, they encountered a chest with a giant worm-like creature inside. They immediately assumed that it was the mimic that they had been sent in to kill. After "killing" it, the player took a long look at the map he had drawn and then looked at me with the eyes of a man who had lost all hope.

Hermit crabs wear scavenged things (usually shells) as armor/housing, almost like it's a part of their body, so the author took that concept and extended it to hollow dungeon objects.

I think shapeshifter makes more sense, but the idea of there being a hundred different subspecies of mimic is hilarious to me

I kinda like the hermit-crab interpretation but feel it should still have shape-changing capabilities like a rearranging shell.
My personal mimic head-canon is as an evolutionary intermediary between oozes and doppelgangers with properties of both and qualities of crustaceans and caterpillars. Inspired by various interpretations and an older edition monster entry I saw on Veeky Forums of a pudding that could camouflage as stone and was speculated to be related to mimics.

There's also smarter/more experienced mimics that might go for the long game and stay hidden as some kind of loot until the party is unarmed and asleep back at camp.
Or mimics that disguise themselves as part of a trap.

They also had a kinda interesting ecological interaction with those treasure bugs.

Definitely, check out for some of that.

>chests are just common because they have the right volume and people walk up to them looking for treasure
Hell, they'll open it up and lean right inside to take a look.

There's room enough for both types but I think you may be missing the appeal in "realistic" mimicking monsters. Real life organisms that mimic other things can be pretty terrifying if you're on its scale. A simple bug sized up for humans and specifically adapted to prey on us is it's own kind of freaky.

Read this story its incredible.

The Bonfire mimic would be the most sadistic.

You think that you've reached safety at a new Bonfire, then suddenly it shoots up from the ground and flings you into the air.

Because hermit crabs are awesome
Crabs are tasty
And it's a fun and believable version of mimics.

Two things.

Firstly, how does this work if it relies on you never looking up?

Secondly, how does it consistently find buildings with second floors with man-sized holes leading up to them and something it can perch on?

>wife gets replaced by a mimic
>she turns into the perfect wife
>but the moment you try to sleep with her the mimic devours you whole
Is it worth it?