How is this guy even a threat?

Literally just walk away slowly and fire. He has no ranged weapons and no psychic powers, it doesn't matter how nasty that ax is if he can't physically reach you with it. Sooner or later he'll fail enough armor saves.

>Sooner or later he'll fail enough armor saves.

Sounds to me like it's worth its points as a distraction.

It's 40k you retard, the less guns you carry the harder you are to shoot.

>How is walking pestilence even a threat?

Have you tried using Warptime? It's almost a guaranteed charge after deep-striking. I use a Sorcerer in Terminator armour every game now.

Also, this fat bastard is just another reminder of why we will be using Typhus in every single Death Guard army now.

Why is he stepping on the nurgling? Isn't that like kicking a puppy for Nurgle worshippers? Won't Papa be pissed?

Love these guys, even tho I would have preferred if they avoided simply putting Blightkings In Space.
boxed squad when?

After reading the Talon of Horus, the author implies that lesser never-born are just kind of annoying, a World Eater keeps having these lizards walking on him because they try and use his anger to come into the real world.

I imagine this Lord is so sickly that nurglings spawn around him so often he's not even slowing down for them anymore if one finds themselves under his boot.

Oh man, those Assault Terminators aren't a threat
Those Khornate Berserkers aren't a threat
Those Possessed Marines aren't a threat
Those Repentia Squads aren't a threat
Those Feral Ork Boys aren't a threat

So just like before?

>orks are a melee race
>M5"

My bezerkers took on a lych guard squad and came out on top. I would have never imagined saying that 6 months ago

None of those are as slow as this fucker though. Barring terrible luck you can easily outpace him, Warptime teleport shenanigans are the only hope of him seeing combat even once,

>orks are a shooty race
>BS 5+

Can't you put him in a vehicle and drive him around?

Did you expect Nurgle to be fast?

an excellent idea

That's actually not a terrible idea. If I want to use my Land Raider for just a shooting platform I could keep the Lord of Contagion inside to, maybe not deter close combat, but I'd have a counter to it.

I expected him to have some sort of ranged weaponry or magic shit to defend himself. Typhus does and is 20 points cheaper.

why is he stepping on his own guy

Does the word "Chaos" ring any bells?

That's no excuse to be rude.

Not every model has to be capable of all things. Other units in the army have ranged weapons. Anyway if you flee constantly then you forfeit all objectives.

Even the Berserkers can take ranged weaponry, on a model this sluggish it's a major design oversight. Why the fuck would you ever take him over the cheaper and more effective Typhus?

The point about the lord vs typhus still stands, you're looking at them being equally matched in power level and typhus being 20pts cheaper in matched play.

Typhus has
>The destroyer hive
>2 psychic powers a turn
>+1 Strength on his weapon
>Host of the destroyer hive rule
>blight grenades
Apart from all those benefits Typhus has they are exactly the same statwise and in abilities.

Because you can only take one Typhus, and you need multiple HQs to make shit happen in new edition. Just slap some poxwalkers around him so he can't get shot and go crazy.

No one needs multiple beatstick HQs, not even orks are going to be taking multiple warbosses when the utility found in the other HQ options is clear. Typhus does everything the lord of contagion does and more, expect a lot of "count-as" contagion lords for typhus before his new model is released.

>Even the Berserkers can take ranged weaponry

You mean pistols? Which are melee focused weapons with barely any range and special abilities specifically for melee?

>He has no ranged weapons and no psychic powers

You have literally never seen a Terminator with 2 lightning claws or a thunderhammer and storm shield.

Yeah, ranged weapons.

That protection doesn't apply in the Psychic phase. Enjoy Smite spam.

Berserkers don't have access to "ranged weaponry". They have access to pistols. They can't take plasmaguns etc.

"pistols" have a "range" of 12"

smite targets nearest unit

Try again.

The point is that even the crazy bloodthirsty axe murderers have access to (minimal) shooting ability, there's no reason a slow as molasses, points-intensive HQ shouldn't at least have the option to bring along a gun.

you forgot

*sweetie

Don't multiple formations require more than one HQ? If you want to maximize command points you will need some extra HQ units. Does DG have better options (besides Typhus who seems like an auto-take)?

This seems like an appropriate thread.
Did plague marines lose ccw+pistol+bolter? Looking at the rules it looked like it was either bolter or pistol

What is the real difference between pistol and no pistol, when they are still slow and all?

And "Ranged Weaponry" is an actual fucking chart in the rulebooks.

Yes.

I dunno, daemon princes, plaguecasters, sorcerers, etc.

Yeah!!!

Who fucking cares, that model is legit as fuck.

Not that one, dummy!

pistols now can shoot with the rest of the army while locked in melee combat

*with the rest of your guys during the shooting phase

Mea culpa. Even so, you have a least one Chaos psychic power, and who knows what'll end up in the Eldar line once they get an actual codex.

Point is, outside of the Psychic phase, characters are vulnerable.

You know, there's such a thing as too much detail. Maybe a Golden Daemon painter might enjoy carefully painting around the axe to get to the guts and carefully blending to make the miasma clouds look decent but this is a starter set FFS.

The axe and hands can be kept off until you've painted it, and then mounted on.

Dude, it's fucking Nurgle. Apply 3 layers of agrax earthshade and call it done.

Give the guy a plasma pistol (or "Festering Rotcaster" or whatever") and/or some psychic powers and he might actually be worth taking. At the very least he could do something besides plod along before being gunned down.

Highly detailed power armor is the most easy to make miniature look good. If there's not enough detail, the flat power armor looks boring and plain unless you do skilled or time consuming techniques like blending.

If there's bling, just carefully paint it in the lines with metallic, give it a wash, and instantly the model looks good and interesting.

Highly detailed, non-power armor models where the details aren't metal are a pain in the ass though.

Since I asked in the 40k general with little success, anyone know a good way to expand on the Death Guard in the starter? I already plan on buying Typhus and probably another few Plague Marines from someone else's set.

>anyone know a good way to expand on the Death Guard in the starter?
wait until they release the multipart plastics?

we know there's a big release coming

Wait until Mortarion and the inevitable Terminator variant are released.

I figured, just nervous since this is my first foray into 40k.

Are the the same retard that thought razor wire was a good defense against Daemons?

read the thread

To be fair razorwire would probably unspool all those guts and tubes left unprotected and it probably doesnt need organs at this point but itd be embarassing for sure

He mentions armor saves in the OP, this is obviously a gameplay post.

He can deep-strike though. If he pops up in the middle of your gunline with a bodyguard of terminators, raptors, or whatever else, then he can just try and charge something right away, and probably catch something if they're close enough to the corner of the board.

>no mention of razor wire until after 50 posts
I am supremely disappointed

Wish the noxious plaguebringer was as cool rules wise as its model.

One: If we're going by fluff I don't think lasguns CAN hurt that fuck usually
Two: If we're also going by fluff, this guy would be an "Endurance predator" meaning that he doesn't get tired (Ever) and you do. You can run as much as you waant, and so can he, but only one of you needs to stop

If you spray this in green, paint the axe silver and black and then wash the whole mini it will look actually pretty good. Nurgle stuff is the easiest to get to "acceptable" of any army, save maybe Necrons.

What is tactical positioning and using other, more manoeuvrable units and terrain to trap your opponent?

Also transports

Land Raiders are beastly now user.

Also he can deep strike, he's in terminator armour.

Except for the axe I completely agree with you.

nah, papa himself squeezes out a few thousand of them every second, and when he shifts his great bloated carcass he inevitably sits on and pops a few hundred of them. Besides, there's that one guy that uses Nurglings dipped in a plague cauldron as artillery, they're pretty expendable, because they're so easy to make papa's creations unintentionally ooze them from their insides every few minutes anyway.

You're aware that turn 1 assaults are totally normal in AoS, right? You're aware you have borders on the table that prevent you from running for more than a turn or if you're really lucky two, right?

This didn't deserve its own thread. You could have posted it in the 40k general.

oh no, one thread is taking up valuable space for more generals. such a travesty.

and that one guy is just a really fat nurgling himself, it's nurglings all the way down.

Then actually PAINT and base the shit you have before trying to buy a bunch of new shit

listen to this man if you can't even assemble the starter models why bother with buying more?

I dont know "good" list but I got Starter for 40k, and nurgle starter for demons, with plauge bearers, nurglings, uber flies and herald, and second Bloat drone(cuz its fukin cool). When I pain that part Im thinking of some HS like defiler hellbrute or maulerfiend for dakka.

He is there to babysit poxwalkers. Not the coolest job but you need them to move sometimes.
Im not sure if I want to buy 300pts taxi for one guy or make whole list around one guy. But I aknowlage Im not the best at this game.
I think its best to hold him in reserve. Than when your poxwalkers(with Bell guy) or anything conect with enemy, drop him and move for kill. Even if enemy flee you are uch closer and you can foce them out of objective or maim unit or vehicle.

*deepstrikes on your objective*

"heh, nothin personnel... loyalist..."

Who said I couldn't assemble the starter set or paint? Wargames are hardly a new thing to me, been playing Warmachine for years.

the capacity to assemble & paint and actually assembling & painting are two different things, as you should know being a wargaming vet. it was assumed you were a total newcomer to the tt

Wot Appn'ed Boss? We'r a diffrent army now...

i have to disagree. Generals have been shit lately and hes a very important model (leader of the chaos army in the new starter set). He merits his own thread with substantive discourse over his pros and cons. I keep checking this thread every hour or so because I really want this model

user, I think he was being sarcastic.

Talking about the choppa? It's actually a call back to the khorne lord of skulls nurgle conversion that the lead sculptor on the death guard made. Guy really knows nurgle.

I think for me at least the biggest problem with the axe of the Lord vs the conversion is that the saws didn't downsize well, so they end up looking a little silly

>Don't downsize well
Nigga the size of the saw blades now are the same size as your average sawblade and would royally fuck you're shit up