How does the chaos space marine recruitment process differ from the imperial one?

How does the chaos space marine recruitment process differ from the imperial one?
How do they find recruits? More fatal? Who perform the surgery?

I was under the impression that they operated under a "salty spitoon" type application process.

Half ass clones.

>one marine kills some shit
>finds other marines who also like to kill the same shit
>they become friends and kill shit together

CSM get recruited?
I've thought they were just converted Space Marines.

There's a small story in one of the codices about a CSM inspiring a revolt on a feudal world. One of the feudal warriors manages to kill a space marine and the CSM takes the geneseed and offers the warrior to chance to join them.

Iron Warriors had their horrific magical realm birthing machine.

Fabius Bile is always making new Marines.

Many warbands steal geneseed from SM they attack and use that on captured people.

Night Lords have some kind of battle royale competition on a night world where the kids who survive get recruited.

Several sources. Many are renegades drawn to a warband with a similar MO as them, others are drawn in as the warband defeats other CSM and absorbs the survivors.

There are "fresh" recruits as well. Fabius Bile and his Consortium will perform the procedures to make more if given the resources, plus a commission, for warbands that lack apothercaries. These new marines are often formed into their own squads since most CSM see them as pathetic newcomers and don't give anyone even a modicum of trust or respect until they have fought beside another for a few centuries. There's a bit of an old boys club amongst those marines that fought during the heresy.

also unlike loyalist space marines, chaos marines have a lot of human helpers they fight along side. Even if they don't have the means to make more space marines, they still recruit fools to die for the chaos gods.

Large chapters who go traitor might still have a lot of resources and supply of geneseed, and can continue recruiting the normal way for their chapter.

Ten thousand year old legions probably do not recruit.

Alpha Legion is believed to operate more-or-less like a traditional loyalist chapter, actively recruiting from across the galaxy.

I thought new CSM were few and far between but those that died were simply reborn in the Warp.

I'm picturing chaos marines using Diaz daemonettes to convince people to join.

The gods can revive people, but remember that their power is provided by other living things in the galaxy--so it is limited. Thus, they only resurrect certain people.

Mostly, they do create some clones and other genetic abominations that they throw power armor on and call it a day.

Title?
Because it sounds awesome. It sounds like heroic chaos; the freedom from a oppressive imperium.

>These new marines are often formed into their own squads since most CSM see them as pathetic newcomers and don't give anyone even a modicum of trust or respect until they have fought beside another for a few centuries
come to think of it, is there any example or story of a "new recruit", basically brought up to believe in all the gods, to follow the path of Chaos and heresy, only to "redeem" himself and turn towards the imperium?

I mean, they wouldn't really accept him unless fallen Dark angel, but that don't count, but still.

Its probably in Eye of Terror or Let the Galaxy Burn or some shit. Its pretty good iirc.

Thats actually how I structure my warband. I have two 20-man football teams that are full of new recruits I make out of different loyalist bits. Whenever one of the Chosen leading them does really well (and I need to add a new type of squad) Ill elevate him and maybe a couple other high-performers out and throw a few newcomers in. The nice thing is that Ive got models that have been riddle-of-the-axed through my collection since around 2007.

Once a traitor, always a traitor. The only redemption is death.

If they're an astartes, there's always the Blackshields. A non-insignificant number of them are probably CSMs that decided that they made a poor decision siding with chaos.

>Blackshields
I forgot about them!

They probably werent real chaos, just renegades. Once you get real chaos stank on ya it never comes out. Any librarian would fuck you in the ass.

>What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?

Thats true, but you cant un-give-your-soul-to-the-ruinous-powers.

according to the imperium its best to be born good

lives are cheap to the imperium and its safer to kill anything tainted

>see: first war for Armageddon

You can in Age of Sigmar. Only a matter of time until it happens in 40k.

That's what you think. Pic related.
Only if we're not talking about a Space Marine. Space Marines are absurdly valuable.

Yeah, this. You're forgetting that a single chaos artifact has destroyed entire civilizations. Its just not worth the risk.

Space Marines "fall" to Chaos, fuck off, and join a Renegade or Traitor Warband.

At least the smart ones do.

It's actually in the Chaos Cultists thread right now. It's about a bunch of CSM that slaughter a city and some SM with the aid of a barbarian tribe.

Well there have been a few cases of CSM not quite repenting but regretting what they have done and making what amends they can. An example is a chaos sorcerer who senses a planet die while guiding a ship through the warp. This serves as the last straw for him as he decides that whatever the gods offer cannot be worth the cost. With a momentary prayer for forgiveness to the emperor he steers the ship into a warp storm to be torn apart, denying the Black Crusade a fresh army of reinforcements at a critical juncture. Whether or not he is forgiven is unknown.

One mention of marines of unknown origin serving the Imperium is Deathwatch Blackshields, who are from a chapter (or legion perhaps) that is known to only the Deathwatch high command. A marine that appears at a watch station and requests an audience with the watch Captains will be led under heavy guard to speak with a board of officers, including at least 1 captain, 1 librarian, 1 chaplain, and 1apothecary. They will be heavily grilled about their motive, origin, and deeds. A thorough and invasive screening of their mind, body, and soul is performed. If they are judged to be worthy, they join the Deathwatch as a Blackshield and wear no heraldry from their past, forsaking personal glory for service unremembered even in the shadowy circles of the Deathwatch.

This rather extreme step is usually taken by marines under a burden of guilt for a transgression by themselves or their parent chapter. Being responsible for the preventable death of a battle brother is probably the most common but loyalist members of chapters that went renegade have joined to prove their dedication to the Imperium and for a chance to redeem some measure of honor for themselves in the eyes of the Emperor.

There has been mention that a Blackshield vanished when the Deathwatch had a mission in the same theatre of operations as the Dark Angels, so their may be Fallen serving the Imperium in secret.

>see: first war for Armageddon
>where they literally tried to mind wipe space marines and ended up instead killing hundreds of them instead

THEY DONT FUCKING CARE ABOUT YOUR SPECIAL SPACE SNOWFLAKES EITHER

daemonculaba?

Some warbands have actual recruiting worlds, where they recruit from the tribes etc, that live there ala blood gorgons. Also, it was mentioned in an imperial guard novel that word bearers had a recruitment world? which was being invaded. The guard turn to chaos because command is a dipshit.

>Each of the Legions has now nominated aspirants seeking to throw themselves upon our mercy in the vain hope that we may deem them worthy to join our ranks. Those loyal to the shrunken corpse on Terra still cling to their own processes by which perhaps one in a hundred neophytes may survive to become a battle brother. The methods I have developed over the last millennia are more stringent, for we must be pure in our hatred and hard of heart, body and soul. Fewer than one in every thousand survive, and I strive each day to lengthen these odds still further.
-Fabius Bile

CSM do recruit, though it's more ad-hoc and less formalized than loyalist practices. Red Tithe shows a Night Lords warband raiding an Imperial prison world to make the inmates fight for their lives so they can grab the best ones. Their leader is himself a post-Heresy recruit. The Crimson Slaughter also are mentioned as raiding Imperial worlds and using organs cloned by Fabius Bile to make new marines.

that is like saying "how does asian military recruitment differ from western military recruitment?", both are massively complex things that differ between shitloads of factions. black legion will take almost any CSM who will bend the knee, world eaters are so fragmented they aint accepting new recruits because there's nothing to recruit into BUT sometimes new zerkers join them OR their own zerkers will join another warband/legion, and every small warband has their own history and selection process.

a general rule of thumb is a single marine rarely goes chaos by himself (unless he is away from his unit already) so typically it will be a group of marines flip, fuck off from their own chapter usually after fighting them, and takes up arms with the dudes they were already secretly aiding on the radio anyway. or something like that. otherwise new CSM are created via experiments on humans like the populace of a daemon world, but this is a lot rarer.

Chaos undivided, omae.

Exactly like regular marines, but they shout CHAOS a bunch during the entire process.
The recruitment center is right down the road, with the big, blinking neon sign that reads CHAOS and keeps half the city awake and the other half blind.

Depends on the traitor chapter, the warband or wathever.

There was one short story about a boy going on with terrible trials for their "gods"and in the end he was granted the chance to become one of them.

My memory is pretty rusty, but i remember it beign pretty gud.

Chaos Space Marines differ from loyalists in that they don't really give a rat's ass about training or quality control. There's no neophyte phase or scouts, they continue the old Legion practices. Which is to get a youth ranging from 11-21, shove some gene-seed into him (possibly with some additional warp shit going on), and do this on mass and hope for the best. Gene seed might also be cloned, or mass produced. Chaos Marines may even be cloned or vat grown themselves. They have a multitude of ways of creation from the books, it depends on the Legion and the apothecary-stand in and how little pride in purity he has left. Or quality of the creation.

boomp

Abaddon the Despoiler himself still has his own soul. Are you saying he can be redeemed?

He might actually be competent as a redeemed marine.

>Seconded, I want to read this shit

Abbadon has been secretly loyalist the whole time. The Black Crusades are his way of thinning the forces of chaos whenever they become too strong.

>Abbadon the Unspoiled Despoiler
>mechanicus makes him a fresh pair of arms and he starts crying

>With a momentary prayer for forgiveness to the emperor he steers the ship into a warp storm to be torn apart
That's fucking radical.

That is also the end of Flesh and Iron, by Henry Zou.

Yeah, aren't they technically immortal like the Gods? Any version of them you kill at any time is meaningless because they still exist in the warp.

>Fabius Bile is always making new Marines.

He's only one guy, though. Does it ever say anywhere he managed to build facilities that pump out the chaos marines?

There isn't an only one way loyal marines recruit their men and in chaos marines is the same. It depends of the chapter and the world they live in.

Being born good of course.
>who's a better person, someone who spent their entire life doing good or someone who spent the prime of their life looting, raping, murdering, pillaging and summoning demons and then started doing good later in life

This is how I play my sorceress. She's a rogue psyker who fights against the persecution of her people, claiming the Emperor is the greatest exemplar of mankind and also the greatest psyker, and that the imperium is suppressing human evolution

>how does chaos differ
usually the recruits tend to stand out from the hordes of slaves or soldiers. With chaos not giving a shit about purity of the soul as much as loyalists do they have more adults becoming marines as opposed to children for loyalists.

>how do they find recruits?
the ones that aren't dead. 50,000 slaves working to death to dig trenches during artillery bombardment and then some how survive a couple years of it while also killing shit usually works as a sort of filter.

>More Fatal?
in the night lords novel, they just throw a bunch of children into a freezer. So who the fuck knows? It could some how be safer depending on the warband.

>Who perform the surgery?
Apothecaries, Dark Admech, Fabius Bile runs a small shop out of some lab that is apparently really easy to find yet not destroy. When there are space marines, there are apothecaries. That gene-seed is more valuable than expected. Especially considering how chaos is doing everything it can to make more marines.

Ahah, it comes from 3rd edition, so it's not "heroic chaos". It's merely normal humans being humans and having their own stories.

It's a short tidbit, but like all 3rd edition Chaos Codex it is.... charming.

I'm fairly certain that while they can live basically forever in the eye, they will die for good when they get killed (not counting their souls of course).

I'm not sure about all the CSM, but I know that Fabius Bile basically mass produces marines for multiple warbands/legions in exchange for protection and slaves. The Blood Gorgons had recruiting worlds even after they went rogue, so I imagine Warbands outside the eye have similar systems

I thought they respawned at their base upon death.

Same logic as people praising fatties or junkies.

Good job not doing heroin any more I guess. What about the people who never started?

>What about the people who never started?
lame

Reminds me of this little speech:

Chaos Undivided is more than a pantheon a philosophy, it is the Eightfold Path, it is the Truth behind the curtain and the sin of knowledge, the revelation and the secret, it is many things but not a religion as we understand it. Chaos is freedom, ambition, power and glory, it is damnation but also reward, it is the moment when you break your chains, when you dispose of your humanity and when you embrace something so unfathomable that dives you insane but also ecstatic with the knowledge that your destiny is in your OWN hands.

When an enlightened one exults For Chaos! across the din of the battlefield he evokes this truth, he utters in words what his eye have seen and what his soul has felt when he opened his mind to the truth for the first time. When marching under the banner of Primordial Truth the warrior of Chaos does not favor a Exalted Power in particular way, neither he favors them all, but he is the herald of the Truth, the Truth of which destiny lies beyond the skein, the Truth that follows death, the Truth that power and ambition are rewarded, the Truth where you as an individual can become a literal god, an immortal, a being of such utter power only if you will it, only if you dare it.

Chaos Undivided is not a religion; it is a philosophy, a philosophy of the self interest, of tangible power and the shattering dread of the ultimate Truth. This philosophy teaches a human that if he is ambitious enough he would be rewarded, it teaches him that if he kills with the name of the True Gods on his lips he would catch their eye and receive their boon, it teaches him that one day he can become a demigod, a mortal no more, and all this if he only wills it and dares it.

The Primordial Truth is also the philosophy of the metaphysical, where reality and dogma shatter, a philosophy that teaches its followers that the laws of physic do not exist, that any laws are artificial, that dogma and ad a closed mind lead your soul to be shattered by the dreaded dream predators. Chaos Undivided is a philosophy that teaches you that you have a soul, teaches you that with your dreams you shape the universe and it teaches you that nothing is impossible, everything can be done if only one dreams it.

That is why a chosen one bears proudly the Star of Chaos even if he pledged his allegiance to only a variant of this philosophy, perhaps to Nurgle's teachings, it is because once you pass over the skein of reality and you see the vast landscapes of infinite possibilities nothing can ever be the same and everything becomes possible, all that is required is a simple dream.

>Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I have embraced life without fear.

They sometimes clone themselves (usually poorly). Sometimes they kidnap survivors of their exploits and force them through the process, sometimes they just grab a chaos marine and give him a new coat of paint.

I like the helmet of the bottom right marine. He really doesn't look satisfied with existence.

That was a Blood Gorgon world.

Who are the Blood Gorgons?

>What about the people who never started?
While I don't exactly agree with praising those who overcome addiction, it's far harder to quit than it is to never start.