WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>Backgrounds for your miniatures' photos
massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html
corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Threads:

first for badly painted infantry blobs this edition

Second for badly painted infantry blobs this edition

what are those supossed to be?

Finally getting around to painting the last of my Dark Vengeance set. I had no clue what I was doing when I first bought the set over a year ago and I used a fuckton of primer and melted a lot of details. You can see Librarian Turmiel's fingers are basically fused from too much primer.

Anyways, too lazy to strip them and prime again, so I'm attempting to salvage them with some very thin coats of paint.

Early WIP

the strom of chaos lost and the damned list had rules for mutants like that

chaos mutant rabble

>tfw had a Ghostkeel unassembled since about March last year along with a bunch of other stuff
>had a huge burst of creative energy a while ago
>Finish up the rest of the army a while ago in the space of 2 months, conversion, paintjob everything
>Cleaned the parts for Ghostkeel
>Parts have been sitting in a box for ages

I can't fucking think of a good pose or ways to do the conversions I want. They're nothing extreme, I just want to do a custom housing on his left hand for the fusion blasters (like a gauntlet) and i want to make the main gun attached to his elbow, not underslung. HALP

Chaos Orks???
Is that what I'm seeing here?

>I just want to do a custom housing on his left hand for the fusion blasters (like a gauntlet)
If you have some plastic card you should be able to build something that picks up on the angular parts of the Tau design. If you got a spare stealth suit you could maybe whip something up using the helmet if you want to use the fluid shapes.
Not too familiar with the Ghostkeel desu. Never seen one in person.
>and i want to make the main gun attached to his elbow, not underslung. HALP
I can't really imagine how that is supposed to work. How else would you attach something to the forearm if not underslung or over your wrist?

nah just very mutated "humans" that look like orks

theres a reason the imperium rounds up and kills mutants like this

>So, does anyone have this? all I know is that its from the Dark Imperium box, and that's it.
>Please?

Emperor's Teeth, user! You can't even wait for us to get home with our shiny, brand-new 8th Edition boxed sets before you start asking? *AND* you let the WIP thread die without a replacement to boot?!?

I don't have a spare stealthsuit but I can use the spare ghostkeel helmet, the box gives you two. By the main gun I mean the gun IS the forearm, kinda like Megaman or Heavyarms from Gundam Wing.

But I can't even start until I figure out the pose cause I can't glue shit willy-nilly, only to find out I need to break something apart. It's happened a LOT of times before when I was younger and didn't pre-plan how I'll build my models.

>that helmet area near the neck/wings
>the other dude's right hand

Jesus dude thin your paints

It happens.

im not even that guy you replied to but can you fucking read his post
holy shit are you baiting rn?

>too lazy to strip them and prime again
Naw, you really should. You know they'll turn out better if you do.

No shame mate, we've all been there before.

>so I'm attempting to salvage them with some very thin coats of paint

weeping legion have best scheme imo

Building a Chaos Lord out of the power sword Primaris Lieutenant. I'm running it with the Terminator statline to represent the improved durability/etc; any suggestions on how to model the deep strike capability, as a result? Also, any general pointers on Chaos-ing them up would be appreciated. Got a plan for head and weapon replacements, but I'm a bit iffier on other bits.

>But I can't even start until I figure out the pose cause I can't glue shit willy-nilly, only to find out I need to break something apart. It's happened a LOT of times before when I was younger and didn't pre-plan how I'll build my models.
Maybe you can steal a cool idea from some artwork.

Painted my first Primaris Marine today. What do you guys think? Personally I think I the paint a bit thick at a few places, but all in all I think it turned out pretty good

Who makes the best plastic glue citadel or minerva or someone else?

I dunno man.
The painting looks ok from a technical pov, but the paintscheme is terrible imo.
Sorry to be so blunt, but it's all over the place.

If you want to do a quartered or halfed scheme or something like that, that's cool. But those things work because they have big color blocks that read from some distance as well as close up.
If you just paint every part on the miniature a different color in alternating patterns it's just gonna look grey and washed out from a distance.

I'm also not a fan of the blue/green combo.
At least not those two shades together.

I'm really trying. been googling to see how other people pose theirs and man, it's kind difficult to pose. I thought of making a wild west "rapid fire with left hand on the hammer" pose but the arms don't reach that far.

I kinda want to do a Metal Gear or Zone of the Enders reference in the pose but can't be too flamboyant cause my army's all jungle/stealth themed.

REVELL
CONTACTA
PROFESSIONAL

But I need to keep a lighter handy cause glue drops coagulate in the needle applicator every fucking time.

Thanks for the feedback, I had a very limited choice of colours so did with what I had available to me.

usually what I do before packing it away is to gently squeeze the bottle (with the applicator pointing up) to "blow" out all drops of glue that remain in the applicator, it's not fool proof, but you'll have far fewer clogs.

So why do people call his models badly painted? Is is a joke or do people actually find them bad?

i use tiny pin to unclog that aplicator, but glue is great. A lot of people at my LGS recommended revell glue with brush, gonna try it on next time.

Yeah I do that too but jesus christ, still clogs everytime. Still the GOAT plastic glue though, I'm still using the one I bought like 7 years ago when I got into the game during 5th.

I use testor's brush on, it's pretty good.

I think people hate me, I'm not sure why.
I don't mind though.

I don't hate you user
I like your dudes

but I am also the one who painted pic related

/wip/ ive been working on the painting the part im adding to convert my primars to iron hands and im wondering what can be done to improve them, i wanted the marines to have equipment that aged a ton because of warpfuckery(thats why there is verdigris) i didnt think highlihgting would look good with this style so i just did some drybrushing with leadbelcher to make the corners look a bit more defined, the part i find to look the most dissapointing is the gun attached to the arm on the right(supposed to replace the bolt storm gauntlet on the captain), the gun just looks so messy.

i forgot the pic, i never seem to be able to remember to attach pics, maybe im retarded

Which of these look better?

The white in both is "bone-white", and the red is supposed to be a darker red, but I couldn't quite get that in Photoshop. Of course the bone in both will look runny and old and worn, and all that jazz.

you are my nigger!

>Emperor's Teeth, user! You can't even wait for us to get home with our shiny, brand-new 8th Edition boxed sets before you start asking
well, I saw it when GW did their little "see the store managers open the box" and the fluttered though it.
Been waiting for it ever since

The right one looks dreadful. The left one is fuckin nice.

none, don't like the legs, why not keep it simple? The right one looks too khornish

>don't like the legs
think I should let them be in one singular color?

Holy hell user, these look like they were painted in fucking marine enamel. There is nothing you can do to salvage these other than stripping them.

in my opinion yes, because it takes alot of the graveness....
but i really like the black shoulder pads and especially the helmet

Yes, the paint is thick. This is especially apparent on flat surfaces where you can see visible texture. Did you use craft paint or something?

Color scheme aside this would be OK as a basecoat if it wasn't put on so damn thick, and honestly for tabletop it will probably look fine if you do some shading and highlights instead of flat color.

I finished painting all of my Warriors of Chaos but I have yet to base them, on right is example of how I've based my marines but I'm not sure how well it'll go with my Warriors. I was thinking more of a red earth kind of thing but what do you guys think?

Hey folks,

Does anyone know a seller that sells small resin/plastic books? Like miniature books I could use to decorate a base with.

I can't find anything on it.

It begins...

The one on the left looks much better.

is the new box easyfit or modular ?

Fucking cool bro

less is more.

blue and red is ok
blue and green is ok
blue and green and red is not

Dark imperium?

Easyfit

thanks m8

What did you use on photoshop for those color changes?

I like the red one to the right. Would certainly stand out not to mention make a neat backstory if your CSM are former Khornates that have fallen to Nurgle.

So should I just use blue and green on future models and just keep the red on the bolter?

Easy fit. However the shoulders can easily be cut down and the heads are replaceable.

overlay or color. just scroll through the layer settings

do i need to repaint my carnosaur? i think i'm close to done, but honestly am hating the way its turning out

I dont know why the image is sideways. Anyway comission for a friend i just finished. Kairos next.

so I wanna make some bandages for a model

any tips on making uniform size green stuff strips

Flatten a ball and cut it into thin strips with a sculpting tool. If you dont have tools use like a plastic gift card or the back of an exacto knife. Keep both the material and tools wet at all time

>when you really wanna slap together your marinelet army for the campaign but your sternguard and devastator bits are probably at your homie's place who's in germany for another week so you can't go find out

yeah
no depth on that blue

How does one get a good metallic white finish? I'm looking for an effect like tamiya clear red over gold but white instead. Not just chrome.

very nice

that blue is just too much. you could maybe sponge on a lighter blue to help?

How is it bait?

Drybrush the blue with a highlight. Will really improve the depth and add lots of texture.

>MFW I bought those exact tools the other day to sculpt some pants with

Anyone know where i can get some vietnam style transfer sheets?

want to put pin-ups and shit on my Catachan tanks and my new Valkyrie (which is have dubbed "long tall sally"

Are D&D figures allowed on this general?
If not, sorry.
Left: first miniature I have ever painted. Right: first I'm remotely proud of.
Sorry for extreme potato

Are you using a phone from the 90's?

All art projects related to traditional games are welcome here, especially minis.

That photo is so fucked I can't see a thing senpai.

>Are D&D figures allowed on this general
>Are figures allowed
>figures
>allowed
>on a thread about painting figures

You're fine, user.

Yup, it's fucked.
I'm just friggin stupid.

I suck a highlighting.
Any advice?

I suck at painting, but those strokes look a little.. Scratchy. Maybe filling up the whole part that the highlighting is supposed to be on?

Well, do you want to edge highlight or drybrush? Both would work on nids.

Thin your paints more and blend them up in gradual layers, Mr. Kopynator

I'd like to learn proper edge highlighting to give the models a sharper look. I like drybrushing more on vehicles

First off: ಠ_ಠ

Also, i can't find the sweetspot for edge highlights. Either they're not thin enough and stand out or I thinned them too much and the paint flows too much for highlights.

How am I supposed to do it correctly?

Krylon or Rustoleum primer?

>or I thinned them too much and the paint flows too much for highlights
Load your brush up with less paint so it doesn't flow everywhere. I assume you know about using the side of your brush for the sharper angles?

Well you've got too much paint on your brush, and your angle of contact is too low.

Try working most of the paint out on your pallete until it starts to streak a bit, then run the EDGE of the brush (not it's point) along the corners of the model you want highlighted.

Yeah, I try that while highlighting but it's sometimes rather hard on areas where you don't have much space.

Goddamn. I guess I have to cover up my current highlights with the base color again.

I'm not lying, this is the 4th time I try highlighting on those models but I fuck it up every single time.

Yes, I watched Duncan and other painters but I STILL can't get it properly done.

I'm content with most other stuff I paint but I seriously consider just skipping highlights.

Duncan does it the hard way, which is called Freehand highlighting. It's probably the most advanced technique, and I don't even use it because I consider it too 'brushy'.

I post pic related as an example of good highlighting. The armor is drybrushed, while the clothes are edge-highlighted.

Definitely don't skip highlights. Base coat -> wash -> highlight is key to getting a good basic paint job.

>"freehand" edge highlighting
>the most advanced technique
You've been memed hard.

Yeah, but what should I do when I fuck up my edge highlights every single time?

Everything is really fun for me when it comes to assembling, magnetizing and painting.

But when I try to do highlights I get fucking mad, I'm serious. It always looks like shit. See pic above

Memed nothing, I've tried them all and freehand always turns out the worst for me. I drybrush and edge highlight.

Show me the best freehand you've ever done yourself.

Try just rolling your brush along the edge instead of trying to do a brush stroke.

So, are my strokes too thick or what is the actual problem if I may ask? That might work then, I guess.

Also, can't I just drybrush the entire fucking thing..?
Edge highlighting raped me so hard I get flashbacks while I'm doing them

Right is a bit too red heavy and looks almost Khornate, sadly.

So Left by default.

Crappy laptop integrated one. Here's a better picture
Note: still potato.

>So, are my strokes too thick or what is the actual problem if I may ask?
Yes, the strokes are too thick, you need to back off of the edge of the model. But if you just roll a bit of paint along the edge you'll probably be less frustrated.

>Also, can't I just drybrush the entire fucking thing..?
You totally can but you'll quickly reach a ceiling in quality if all you do is drybrush everything. Honestly though, if you're just hating this part then yeah just drybrush the edges. It'd probably be the fastest way to do them.

Okay, it's upside down for some strange reason, but whatever. Turn your heads.

Anyone have the PDF or whatever of the recent Dark Imperium by Guy Haley? I am a poor college kid and cannot afford that $16 200 page bullshit.

Still looks like shit mate