>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Darkness edition

Have you had any creative uses for Darkness in your party besides "i hit da mans in DARK!"?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/BWIVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>10 minutes and 0 posts on a new general

Reposting my question from last thread.

What is the best set of rules for crafting and buying magical items? I know there has been at least one UA, are there any other good alternatives?

I declare 5e dead.

were were u when 5e was kill

It's a Sunday morning for the majority of Veeky Forums users. No one wants to be up early on a Sunday morning.

Is there a website you can buy good, painted minitiarues for D&D?

I don't know how to paint

>tfw haven't been able to fall asleep for the last 7 hours so I've been reduced to shitposting
feels bad man.

My party tried to blind a bunch of Modrons so they could snag a treasure chest they were guarding. They didn't know that Modrons have truesight. Nobody died though.

Amazon. EBey too, probably.

I've never played an elf and I don't particularly care for the pointy eared forest folk. Due to the type of campaign coming up Drow aren't available. So what is the best type of Elf fluff wise?
What is the best stat wise for a Bladesinger?

how long until the next UA?

Straight up buying magic items is usually a bad idea, as it leads to one of two situations.

1. "Here you are players, the exact item that you would need, no hassle. Have fun on your adventure!"

2. "Here you are players, some random shitty trinkets because who the fuck would leave a +2 sword if they had the option to buy it?"

You're better off making them have to commission it from an item crafter if you want them to spend money. That lets you work in a quest to find/get to them, or even earn the privilege of giving them their patronage, as a person powerful enough to make magic items will not just make them for whatever chucklefucks walk through the door.

Purple Dragon Knight or Fighter/Valor Bard multiclass for a Banner-Bearer type of character focused around supporting others?

High Elf is basically made for Bladesinger (or is that the other way around?). Good stat bonuses, they get an extra cantrip, it's all good.

frostygiant.jpg STOP ROLLING FOR STATS druids are ghey Next UA when? Let's leave the argument in last thread. That's racist. Stat me, /5eg/. Where's the thread question? >Fucking up the OP. Hi /5eg/, I'm a new DM, how come my rogue player dual-wielding crossbows is so OP when they're making five attacks a turn and how do I take away their +3 armour? STOP POSTING THE DISCORD LINK. My player wants to craft dogshit, how do I go about this? Here's my 8 int wizard. Feats are an optional rule. Can I play as a kender?

The best type of Elf is the one with a feminine penis. This is canon.

Go with either full Valor Bard, or Fighter 5/Lore Bard x. PDK is hot garbage.

Help /5eg/, my next campaign is going to focus on sending my party in search of the rarest treasures they can find in an "around the world in 80 days" styled competition.

What are some good plot hooks I can throw in for them to pursue?

Valor bard would be better. Lore is even better considering how cutting words works compared to combat inspiration, but valor can work

Summed up the cancer in one post. I declare good job.

Where do I put my points in a level 1 high elf wizard. Also spells.

Optimized:
15 int, 14 dex, 14 con, 12 wis, 8 str, 8 cha
But may vary depending on if using superior point buy and other things like if the DM gives reasons to have other stats or if you want to be more flavourful.

Get a minimum of two rituals at level 1.

Could you please stop with the hermaphrodite Elf thing? You've been seriously ruining my ability to enjoy Elves in my campaigns.

>So what is the best type of Elf fluff wise?

You know what that depends on.

In my Out of the Abyss game, I already randomly rolled what each major settlement (Gracklstugh, Menzoberranzan, etc.) has for sale in terms of magic. All randomly determined, too.

With the exception of Sen's Wandering Shop, these don't represent a single magic shop, either. Rather it's the total list of magic items available for sale in the city. The players still have to track them down and haggle for them.

Sen is actually a player's character from a previous campaign (Horde of the Dragon Queen), who ended it as a 17th level GOO Warlock. Her magic shop is meant to represent excess loot from the Temple of Tiamat that she's selling off. She wants a complete collection of the trinkets in the PHB for GOO-related reasons.

Best class to play a horse archer?

Druid, although I'm not sure if horses are capable of using bows.

Very useful!

So if you have Truesight and see something, let's say an Ancient Brass Dragon, shapeshifted into a smaller form, let's assume old man, what exactly do you see? Do you see a full size Dragon that's clipping through terrain like a videogame character? Does it look like an old man but you can tell it's a Dragon because lmao magic?

Reposting because I had an idea that might not work. Curious for input.

So I had an idea though at doing a horror themed one shot with the Slaadi based on Alien/The Thing. Its seems like an *obvious* setup so I assume some have tried and and I am curious how it would work. I would want it to be extremely powerful and not something you can just kill in a fight, but D&D doesn't immediately seem like it lends itself to hit/run style 'combat'.

Gut idea is: We have 5 players, so have them be low level like 4, and some other NPCs. Some how trapped in like a magic school or prison or some shit with a Red Slaad. Have them kill that Red, but an NPC is infected turns into a stronger Blue Slaad in the next Day. Then have the Blue Slaad run in and out of hiding, I would tone down its Regen and have it slowly be killed as the party/NPCs get picked off.

Basically only two real fights a red and a blue slaad but they are super much lower level then recommened for it, plus he will go in and out if combat to hide and then ambush them again. So I while they will get maybe a few short rests but thats it. Curioua how to properly balance this so he doesn't die in one encounter but also can't mow down the party. 5e wasn't really built for an RE3 Nemesis gimick.

Truesight says you can "see" illusions and all the other things, but then uses a comma and says you can "perceive" the true form of shapechangers and such.

Seeing and perceiving are two different things, your DM can probably figure out how to do it.

Doesn't matter what class you pick in 5e, just be an elf for bow proficiency and take whatever the fuck else you want.

>archer
The answer is always going to be battlemaster, unless you are wanting to be a sniper in which case you play Wood Elf Rogue. For all other instances of archers, you play battlemaster.

Arcane Archers are 100% dogshit. And even the Sharpshooter is pretty much ass. Samurai makes a decent archer, but Battlemaster wins the day for utility's sake alone.

Ranger for AoE attacks, fighter for single-target, warlock if you want to EB pushback everything, artificer if you want a robot horse as part of your class progression, rogue if you want skills and fewer but harder hitting shots / accuracy but short range, bard if you want spellcasting as well.

Bard and artificer can both get the mount as part of their progression.

Does this seem fine?

>Defensive Stance
>As an action, you assume a defensive stance with your Quarterstaff, gaining the benefits of a Shield. Doing so makes you off hand count as full until you take an action to revert stances. Being disarmed of your staff also disarms this shield.

Basically I just have a character who is going to go staff+shield but a shield doesn't match their aesthetic.

>Bard and artificer can both get the mount as part of their progression.
Everyone can. It's called 75gp.

Are you me?
I ran this and had the main antag be a shapechanged green slaad that appered as a goblin. Only spoke in rhyme and tried to get someone to stop the ship (i set it in spelljammer)
He also had a set of blue and red d20s he used for in game dice they were red and blue slaadi and one of the players got chaos phage form them but doesnt know it

You might want to remove a slaad's regen if you plan on making them hit and run fights because a low level party never would be able to win if one got away

Is there any database for Elder Scrolls maps?

Or you could pick a few dmg types like fire force raidiant and acid and not let it regen those
But that buffs casters/gishes

Wouldn't you rather have a stronger mount / mount that you can summon whenever, whereever? One that your DM can't cuck you out of because 'lol no horses' or whatever lame excuse they can think of.

How does one multiclass into wizard? Presumably you're unable to just manifest a spellbook out of thin air one night.

>Presumably you're unable to just manifest a spellbook out of thin air one night.
Wizards do stranger things on a hourly basis.

Is there some sort of detailed homebrew crafting list of things that items would require to be crafted and put together?

I miss when players used to speculate games. I also miss when they actually made their own characters and did things.

I don't want to wake up early period, fuck mornings.

If you start wizard you get a spellbook as part of your equipment.
Otherwise you have to buy one

I tend to run one shots every couple months so our DM can play or if things get to busy generally non canon with new characters or prefabs. I thought this would be a fun change of atmosphere. The Slaaf seem build for this so I had too assume its been done.

Yea I was planing on removing it. I am more worried about pacing. Our is a group that does do the whole 5-6 encounters two short rests and 1 long rest mix like how is intended. General we do 2 or 3 encounters with 1 short rest. So in a way this gimmick should be more inline with actual balance. Its just not a muscle our players tend to flex.

Valor Bard. Get find steed and swift quiver (Ranger's capstone spell) for magical secrets. Enjoy your magical fucking horse and making 4 arrow attacks every turn.

You even get to throat sing.

Underrated post

5E OSR

So I run my 5E games with old school game design mechanics and systems as I think the system is the most suited for that.

This upsets my players who are used to baby mode, critical role, style games where none of your choices matter, you'll never die and the railroad goes on and on. We had a character death first session and it was glorious. The players were shocked, terrified and appalled.

Does anybody else embrace 5E osr style or are you all still playing baby mode?

>wrongfun badfun
I'll play my games however the fuck I enjoy them thank you very much

>This upsets my players
You are a bad DM

My DMing style is "keeping your characters alive is your job, not mine".

And "CR suggests the average party level at which you can be reasonably expected to defeat a monster, not encounter it. And it's just a suggestion anyway."

And in essence, "you guys are the stars of the show, but the game world is bigger than your characters, and there's a lot of stuff happening in it. Not all of it is level appropriate."

I'm doing it like that, but I'm making minimal adjustments.

You don't need to change a lot of the rules, really.

Remove death saves and implement something better. Personally I'm aiming for 'long and agonizing death' rather than 'you step in the wrong place and it's game over'.
Also ban moon druid and probably reconsider stuff like long death spamming 'nope, on 1 HP now'
Also make inspiring leader a half-feat.

> Draconic Sorcerer can't actually turn themselves into a dragon
> A Wizard can

And actually to continue that post it in light of what said:

I'm more for 'Some of the creatures might be a load above what you should be handling. That doesn't mean it will wipe the floor completely with you or murder you straight out. It likely means that you'll waste a load of resources and be put in a dire position, even if you do beat it. And even then, if it's a naked supertroll, there's nothing on it for you to loot.'
Your ultimate objective is not to kill monsters but to succeed.

Oh, I also play my monsters smart. Case and point, my players are traveling through the Underdark (OotA) and ran into a Hag coven while traversing the Darklake. The Hags used polymorph on three of the party (succeeding twice), then plane shifted away. They've continued to do this once per day.

They turned Derendil into a sun elf twice so far because it personally amuses them since they know the truth about him

The hags can't win in a straight-up fight with the party, but they don't need to. They're just going to keep teleporting in, polymorphing some of the party, then teleporting away once a day until the party does what they want them to do, which is delve a dungeon and retrieve an item for them (might be the Lost Tomb of Khaem...might be the Hidden Shrine of Tamochan. Haven't decided yet)

That the party - which at the moment consists of 4 PCs and 10 NPC companions - have been chronically unable to come up with a plan for dealing with the hag coven in a way that doesn't involve doing what the hags want, is neither my fault nor my problem.

You forgot arguing about the warlock

Babies detected. Are you enjoying your fisher price campaigns? Does your mum let you use curse words ?

I agree. I always use variable encounters and spikes. Level 1 players can run into dragons and it's up to them how they deal with it.

I like the idea of using more hirelings.i especially like it as an explicitly fighter thing as they're still gimps in this edition. The death rules definitely need work..I'm keeping things fairly raw at the moment but need tweaks.

>The Hags used polymorph on three of the party (succeeding twice), then plane shifted away. They've continued to do this once per day.
Just because the creatures can, shouldn't mean they should. They should conserve their spell slots, especially since they might fight stuff later on.
Otherwise liches power word: kill a party member then teleport away all the time.
And ancient dragons that shapeshift can almost permanently stop time.

Spell slots on monsters aren't for wasting.

I just don't understand why you would run a game your players don't enjoy. Unless they are the sort of people who enjoy being upset?

Some of these are extremely low priced and will result in everyone having all their shit at +1 by level 5, so keep that in mind. +1 ammunition for 25 gp each? You can buy 50 of those by the time the fighter gets their simple plate mail. A lot of them also trivialize spells, like potion of invisibility for 180 means that, while it's just a 2nd level spell, you don't need to use a slot or concentration to make someone invisible. It also means that a fairly low-level party will have dozens of consumables just in case they need them.

Funnily enough I actually started tabletop D&D with 3rd Edition back around when it was first released, 3e being the serious start of what I'm now going to start calling Fisher Price D&D (thanks for that).

But *technically* what I actually game into D&D with was Baldur's Gate, the first game. And I learned real early on in Baldur's Gate that it's possible to encounter things WAY above your ability to defeat. So you learn to run or talk your way out of problems.

How that railroad coming John Henry?

Has anyone played ghostwise halfings or had them as NPCs? Is the Far Traveler background suited for them? The fluff says they're mostly from Chondalwood, so I figured that's far enough from the Sword Coast, right?

Liches generally have better things to do than bother a party with an average level of 4. Again, "the PCs may be the stars of the show, the game world is bigger than your player characters". That can be a benefit as well as a drawback.

It's just that these particular hags don't really have anything better to do. Or rather, they want a specific thing but don't want to risk their lives getting it, so they're going to pester the party until the party does what they want or until the party demonstrates that they're actually capable of stopping the hags. So far the party has done only superficial damage to any of the hags in their encounters.

>/osr/ is currently discussing D&D 5th Edition
>/5eg/ is currently discussing OSR

Huh.

Wait couldnt your hags just teleport to wherever they need to go?
If a group of level 4s could do it a coven of hags could

It's not a railroad. With 14 characters total under their command, the PCs should be more than capable of dealing with these hags. I can think of, like a dozen ways they could trap the hags or separate them so that they're too far away to take advantage of their coven spells, making each one a cakewalk. The PCs have just so far not made any real attempt.

My job as a DM is to present challenges, not solutions.

>Wait couldnt your hags just teleport to wherever they need to go?

Something something dimensional lock something something can't do it themselves for magic reasons something something lazy and/or busy with other stuff something something evil assholes.

How is that OSR? Do you know what OSR even means?

Old-school roleplaying. It can be a mindset, rather than a system.

>SJW took a shit on comic-books
>SJW took a shit on video-games
>SJW are taking a shit on tabletop games
Is there no end to this evil?

>>SJW are taking a shit on tabletop games
?

Yeah but it's not just anti-railroad. If it's just about not railroading and coddling the players, say that's what it is. OSR implies so much more beyond that, rulings over rules and player skill over die rolls being the major traits to me. A non-scaling world where dragons can be encountered from level 1 are part of it too, but that alone doesn't make it OSR and anti-railroading doesn't really play into it at all.

archive.is/BWIVE

>dumb bitch complains about dumb shit

who cares?

You're terrible at bait. I'm sorry for you because there's no cure for autism.

It started that way for comic-books and video-games. Next up you'll see some crooked nose thot asking for shekels to do documentaries on sexism in tabletop games.

It's not as big in trpgs, there was that publisher that wanted to hire a woman specifically which was retarded, and then you have Paizo, but otherwise it's very mild.

>literally who blogpost criticizes Critical Meme
>/5eg/ should care about this

So the wizard and the warrior turn a dungeon corner and stumble into a group of goblins that aren't necessarily looking for a fight.
Roll initiative? Or roll after the warrior inadvertently goes for an attack? What if the goblins and wizard rolls higher initiative?

Everyone takes a reaction at the same time and you determine if a fight breaks out.

>if you create a character who is specifically using they/them pronouns on a broadcast game and most of the players fail to use the pronouns, it just sends the message that they don’t care enough to show the bare minimum of respect towards nonbinary people
Don't take it so seriously, I just find this funny. They take a shit on anything they want to, that doesn't make the medium any worse. The only bad thing is when they actually have influence over the medium, like in comic books and certain areas within vidya, but that hasn't happened much if at all in Veeky Forumss.

Only roll initiative when a creature or player goes for an attack. If the goblins win the initiative and dont want to fight, they can back up, take a dodge action, and try to convince the two players that they dont want any trouble. If the wizard goes first then ot depends on if he wants to kill them or not. Same with the fighter. Most likely, the goblins will either retreat or fight if attacked.

It will happen, in due time.

How do you even make 5e sjw? All the characters are played by a player or DM

>but that hasn't happened much if at all in Veeky Forumss.

>What is White Wolf, WotC and Paizo

That's what I think is the right call but I've seen players get pissy when they don't get a free "But I started it" round.

Sixth edition will have mandatory gender identities, gender expressions, biological sex and sexual orientation forms in the character sheet. For the DM to be inclusive, they will require you to use the proper pronouns.

Paizo is shit anyway, WotC has some but I'm not sure how it has made their products worse, and white wolf hasn't been relevant for years.

>6th
at the speed wotc are dropping 5e books, I'll be dead before 6th

Why are these people always so... What's a good word, childish? It's always coloring books, saccharine sweet hugs n' kisses and gingerbread bright colors wooo weee~! Posting.

Blood of tyrants, user. The evil will end when we all rise up and decide to end it.

I don't even get where people have the impression that CR is "babby mode" from, Mercer runs some fairly challenging combats and usually doesn't pull punches

Will Xanathar's Guide have the Mystic and the Artificer?

Well now I've decided my next character is an androgynous genderqueer intersex bisexual dwarf life cleric

Inshallah, the demographic shifts will put an end to this. When offered a weak horse or a strong horse, women and children will always go for the strong horse, and that is exactly what the new demographics are.

The evil will end with a whimper in an alleyway or their deathbed.

Slippery slope assumptions doesn't help your argument, you said they "are taking a shit" on rpgs, so back that up or quit your whining.