In which we pitch cultural planes for future Magic the Gathering sets

In which we pitch cultural planes for future Magic the Gathering sets

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/53006755/
youtube.com/watch?v=YfZLb2VCA_w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>A new Japanese plane. To set it apart from the failed Kamigawa, this plane will be highly diverse with most denizens by black. Ninjas will be brought back, but this time the concept will be merged with the Yakuza concept and infused with an 'anime' (Japanese animation) sensibility. In this set, rival Yakuja clans will fight vicious fight street battles to maintain and expand their turf in a vast metropolis. The style of this city will be Medieval-Japanese, but punkified.

>Magic, but set in Fantasy Montana, trying to keep out the colored folks. There is only one church. Paladins are high school football players.

>implying anybody willingly wants to move to Montana

That will be the secret twist and the invaders are all actually zombies controlled by the deacon who is actually a necromancer using an artificial threat to control the populace through fear and hatred.

Montana is a fucking dreamland for leafs.
>white
>trees and shit everywhere
>similar weather to cucknada
>less taxes

It's a standard fantasy plane but with color-shifted tribals
>white elves
>blue goblins
>black merfolk
>red wizards
>green zombies or vampires
They are ruled by colorless humans who are evil. The story follows a red goblin planeswalker who learns how to use blue mana to save the goblins from slavery

Anyone here remembers that Veeky Forums block we tried to create?

boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/53006755/

Sounds like usual sunday in church village.

>A Viking plane. We're talking all out, Rune-magic, Draugur zombies, gods (perhaps based on mythic artifacts), Warriors, Berserkers, Barbarians, longships, dwarves, antlered dragons with legendary Nidhoggr, the motherfucking World Tree, and all of this counting down to a final set called Ragnarok/Twilight of the Gods. Could even have a masterpiece set that's all creatures worthy of Valhalla, like Figure of Destiny, or Lovisa Coldeyes.
>Just give me my fucking Viking set already.

I think my biggest issue with Kamigawa is that "ninjutsu" and "bushido" are great - fantastic, even - keyword abilities, but because of their names are intrinsically tied into Japan, and so can't be brought into standard magic.

You forgot the part where half of the cards are women, and the other half are black.

They've been talking about bringing back Bushido under a different name in a future set, and they already basically brought back Ninjutsu as Emerge, but with less swapping and more chestbursting.

Considering the amount of shieldmaidens, war-goddesses, giants, and Thor in a dress Norse myth already has, I don't give a fuck.

Also fuck it, I wanna see Viking Othello. Bring on the black people.

Half of the spells they provide should be used as ability names instead, like sage, spoiler and such. Other than that, would play/10

>They are ruled by colorless humans who are evil.

I was actually with you until this, although it confuses me that "wizard" is used as a tribe, and that some of the tribes are shifted to an allied color, while others are shifted to an enemy color. You also seem to have forgotten to include a normally white color-shifted tribe.

Using green > white (one shift clockwise on the color pie), why not instead have:
>white elves
>blue angels
>black merfolk
>red zombies
>green goblins

Or perhaps going one step anticlockwise (white>green), you could instead have:
>White merfolk
>Blue zombies
>Black goblins
>Red elves
>Green angels

Or using blue >red (two shifts clockwise on the color pie), instead have
>White goblins
>Blue elves
>Black angels
>Red merfolk
>Green zombies

Now THAT sounds like a fun plane. Except maybe not merfolk. Faeries, maybe.

Hmm. Two steps anticlockwise is:
>White zombies
>Blue goblins
>Black elves
>Red angels
>Green merfolk

Also sounds interesting, but I like the two steps clockwise plane more.

Aboriginal style plane, highly tribal factions and races living hunter gatherer nomad lives in a wasteland where everything nature wants to kill you.

So Zendikar?

I like it

I didn't actually think about it, I just typed the first thing+tribes that came to mind. Also didn't want black elves because those have already been done

Another joke block like unglued, but the cards are explicitly legally playable like any other set.

The story is that the Jacestice Leage --------------go to Equestria--------------

Then use the two shifts clockwise:

>White goblins
>Blue elves
>Black angels
>Red merfolk
>Green zombies

Shit, I really like this. The thing is, how do you have blue elves, but still have them be recognizably elf?

Pseudo pre-ww1 not-europe with heavy emphasis on industrial technology and rivalries between different waring nations. I refuse to use the SP word, so 8 won't, i want dieselpunk more so. Blood and Oil and the iron tracks of progress my friends.
Every nation is comprised of two colours equating to sonething equivalent of guilds, however certain nations click well wuth others, even on a lore level.

So basically.. Tanya the Evil/Valkyria Chronicles meets Warcraft universe.

Ninjutsu and Emerge are nothing alike.
Emerge is similiar to a Kamigawa mechanic though, and that is Offering.

Ah damn, that's what I was thinking of. Sleep deprivation is not conducive to clearly remembering card sets from over a decade ago.

In the desert!

A plane that takes place in dinosaur/caveman times (yes I know dinosaurs and cavemen didn't coexist but it's a fantasy setting. Different colors are different homonid species. Red are fantasy Neanderthals and giant predatory dinosaurs(who are brutes unlike real Neanderthals) white is homo sapiens and giant mammals like mammoths, green is papa new guinea "hobbits" and giant herbivorous dinosaurs, blue is intelligent technologically advanced apes like in planet of the apes, but with magic, as well as giant sharks and other prehistoric sea monsters and black is the Atlanteans, who are evil industrialists like the phyrexians, as well as Carboniferous amphibians and giant arthropods.

>Cave age primal as fuck plane.
Yesplease

Song of Swords has nomadic seafaring elves.

faerun

> "Even now, now, very now, an old black ram. Is tupping your white ewe."
> "Wait, what's Loki up to this time?"

Fuckin excellent.

So.... Samurai Champloo/Afro Samurai?

I can dig it.

>this plane will be highly diverse with most denizens by black.
kindly kill yourself

Not to mention absolutely based gun laws with no Royal Canadian Mounted Brownshirts breathing down your neck and scheming about the next way of making you a paper criminal.

>They are ruled by colorless humans who are evil. The story follows a red goblin planeswalker who learns how to use blue mana to save the goblins from slavery

dead horse 'evil humans good nonhumans' story paired with most idiotic colorshifting of the tribes. Also, wizards. 10/10 if troll, otherwise good luck graduating that middle school

>he doesn't want full-fledged wizard tribal
Have fun graduating kindergarten

Sounds awesome.

Scourge & co. had Wizard Tribal. It was pretty cool.

>You forgot the part where half of the cards are women, and the other half are black.
As for women, there are tons of them in Norse myth. They are not Viking Chieftains leading people into battle though.

People are allowed to make uncucked sets here so fuck you and your dindupushing.

Two things I want. One is a azthec/pre-colombian set, other is for them to return to Kamigawa so we can have more samurais, including a RW legendary so I can finally build a viable EDH MUCH HONORU deck.

Scourge tried to have a non-race creature type theme with Wizards Clerics and Soldiers. Which is fine. The original suggestion had a single blue non-race tribe (Wizards) inbetween UBRG race tribes. Which is moronic because (a) why would you have two colourshifted U tribes and (b) why didn't you colourshift a W tribe instead? This says either troll or dumb to me.

Ixalan has got savages AND dinosaurs

I haven't seen anything from Ixalan yet, I assumed it would be pre-colombian but it from a quick google looks more like south american discovery right, with pirates and indians. That's cool too

Down Underground.

A plane that is nothing but stone, dirt, and ancient metal ruins fused and embedded into the earth.

Tribes are Dwarves, Fungus, Morlocks, Thrulls, and False people/ancient robots.

Set mechanics include an exile on death ability (typically a "When this creature dies, exile it instead and put X gold/1/1 servo/whatever token/s onto the battlefield"), and a return of the Sweep keyword.

The world is discovered to be a early failed attempt at a Rath-like overlay by an ancient planeswalking civilization. Phyrexia sends agents to mine and steal as much as possible, and the natives are not equip to fend them off easily.

I derped around trying to make a pirate plane but since ixalan f it...
Other idea
An Americana plane (ala over the garden wall) where the mana highly available changes with the season
Fall-Black Red (Jack of the harvest)
Winter - blue white (King of Winter)
Spring - white green (Queen of Spring)
Summer - Red Green ( Summer's Ace)
And finally the unknown "fifth" season - Blue Black (the ten)
Needs fantasy races other than tall men (Giants), Sasquatches (yeti), and Mooniemen (moon folk)

I know it's a cliche but Bison Minotaurs and Homonculous

I'd play the hell out of that. Maybe have Goblins fluffed as knockers/house-brownies, and maybe a collected green race that's all weird cryptid stuff, like mothmen and flatwoods monsters and hidebehinds.

Alternatively, pumpkin-headed Harvestmen, who are insects wearing scarecrows as bodies.

Thanks,
I'll try to find which season they belong to..
Actually, the "moth men" thing would work for the moknfolk in unknown season, the Bunny ears being confused as moth antenna.

Also, just because it's what immediately sprang to mind, this playing in the background of the story trailer.
youtube.com/watch?v=YfZLb2VCA_w

That actually sounds pretty dope

It's irony you fucking idiot

That's not what irony means.

Inigo_montoya.gif