MTG Standard General

Lazy and copying the last edition, edition.

>This week/last week in standard:
>Aetherworks got btfo out of legal
>Ixalan cards got leaked

Just cracked a Lily, Death's Majesty out of a fat pack, and now kinda want to build around her. Does she see play anywhere right now?

What happened to the last thread? It only had around 20 posts. Did it get bumped off that quickly?

Seems to have.

seeing as there are over 10 shit threads that have under 30 responses and some just asking retarded questions that don't do anything... yea, was bumped off

>playing
>brewing
>hating
>thoughts on the meta/ixalan?

good card

Indeedy. She and a few others really makes me wanna brew a -1/-1 deck

remember pic related doesn't need a -1/-1 to remove to place a -1/-1 on attack ;)
waiting to see if HOU has some -1/-1 extras for B/G and not just R with how the scorpion god is going

what about gitrog and that naga that lets you cast lands from the graveyeard

Hapatra is strong as fuck. I don't a slightest idea why aren't you guys brewing the shit out of her.
I only don't make one because I keep one Standard deck until it's core gets rotated.

I'm itching to make a -1/1 counters matters and a Mono Red Hazoret.Madness.

So is Ixalan Mesoamerican, Atalnatean, Pirates, or dinosaurs? Also is there a better version of that photo that is readable?

>on up to one creature
Why is it worded like this?

you can put counters on 0 creatures if you want to

I see.
Couldn't it have been written as "may" instead?

Try Mythic Spoiler, they are trying to decipher those.

Aparently, Mesoamerica with Dinossaurs and Pirates.
Pirates steal permanents, Dinossaurs are big aggro, Conquistadores Vampires are probably Orzhov v2.
Loads of tribal Synergy.

Let's just face it. Standard is dead until the new influx of players in Ixalan.
Hour of Devastation is looking like a shit set with bad archetypes and mechanics.
Banning Marvel was the last pin in the coffin sending every last not Pro Spike to Modern.
Let's just hope the influx of timmies is enough to make the format healthier .

I think that if it had the may, you'd be able to target a creature and not place a counter upon resolution. So no real difference, it's just how they word it.

idk why they do it that way but should just be you may place one

Could be so that noobs aren't allowed to forget that it happens? So no "that guys" can
>heh he forgot to choose to place a counter
Since it's not optional you'd technically have to roll back if it was forgotten.

i don't understand why people do that shit at fnms

whenever my opponent misses some trigger, i just remind them because it's fucking fnm

>they take it too seriously
>they never learned to be decent or courteous
>they don't have the social capacity to be decent or courteous
>they don't get to win anything in any other aspect of their lives (though I've noticed these people also generally don't win very much in magic)
Any combination of the above, and im sure there is a bounty of other possible explanations that belong in this list.

yea... first time fnm I thought lifelink only applied when it dealt dmg to opponent... and opponents didn't help... great community for new players...

I remember when I was 11 and went to my first fnm. It was single elimination bracket, I had bussed out to the store with some friends. The guy I played against was such an ass hole omg
>we shuffle
>I didn't know to offer a cut but do so once I've realized that's what you do.
>he still gets visibly annoyed and autistic
>he wipes the floor with me (it was a shitty deck built from packs)
>smugly asks "did you build this deck yourself?" laughs
I didn't go back after that and only started playing magic again recently. Felt pretty bad.

So you can still remove when your opponent has no creatures.

No. May would require you to target and then you could choose to place or not place a counter. If they had 0 creatures you wouldn't be able to have a legal target and therefore couldn't remove a counter.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

>mfw another butthurt marvel player is trying to pin their angst on self-perceived issues with the standard format because they're too concerned with winning every game and are too stupid to brew their own deck and just have some fun

I bet you fucking ran cat combo and smugglers copter too you boring cunt.

this guy gets it

what would be people playing without any bans?.
marvel emrakul?,
UW control with reflector mages?
Saheeli combo??
i bet there will be more counter play and more shit happening.
smuggler alive, hearth of kiran ignored.

Where did you get that pic and are there any more like it?

I saw the Goldfish video on their bant deep fiend deck and decided to make it a little more emergy, not that aetherworks is gone.
Any feed back would be nice. Right now the list seems to struggle with new perspectives the most.

Sweet more God cards in HOU...

>No Deathtouch
>No Indestructible
>No ETB distribute -1/-1 counters

literallywhat.png

Weeeew, anybody can be a god nowadays.

Not even indestructible.

I mean maybe the new cycle of Gods are "false" gods created by bolas? The lack of indestructibility and the fact that this one does not require any kind of "devotion" to attack and block certainly makes me think so.

They aren't false, they are corrupted. If you read the story Bolas literally said, "him I really only need 5 of you so I'm going to just mind break you last 3 and put you away until I need you."

well boys? are we getting bolt in standard?

Anyone else weirded out that MtG druids don't shapeshift?

I remember learning magic with a friend who also had no idea how to play. I equipped a bear with like four loxodon Warhammers, and because each one gave him lifelink, I gained 4x life each time I swung

Yes but it is 3 mana now

nah, that's common for draft purposes. it's gonna be printed at mythic.

why would that be weird

What's it all about in standard atm?

It's been a thing for fantasy druids since AD&D.

It's very much a druid "thing," yet you never see druids do it in MtG.

too early to tell. vehicles are still a thing, GB is resilient, zombies can have crazy draws, and control's getting some decent tools too.

>implying I played Marvel
It was 45% of a format with dead FNMs.
Imagine what happens after you ban every top deck in the last year.

are you implying people will stop playing? because that won't happen.

Actual vehicles, or "vehicles", where the only vehicle that gets played is the Heart of Kiran?

I'm sorry, could you say vehicles one more time? For effect, of course

Vehicles, or "vehicles"?

I've completely given up on winning so I've just been building joke decks to be played at 1 standard event, last one was Mercurial Geists, Insult and Fling, which went 2-0.

Next week is going to be 5 colours, with no spells more than 1CMC, does anyone have any stupid ideas for me to try?

I'm thinking of coming back between hour and ixalan but I've been away for a couple years. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what has gone on at WotC? They implemented the two-block sets but now they're repealing it, they made jace and the neowalkers major figureheads but now they're cutting back on it, bringing back core sets, etc.

Just what happened over there?

>not making a deck using every card that has the words "you win the game"

They're running out of ideas.

Desperate attempt to save a dying game.

Haha, okay I'll do that. Felidar Sovreign, Approach of the Second Sun, Hedron Alignment and Mechanised Production.

I only have one Herdon Alignment but fuck it.

It's chain lightning invocation.

All the good decks are aggro or aggressive midrange decks

aka control btfo

This is why I think the quality of Standard has been declining (in my opinion). They put too much focus on balancing draft that it created a few problems.
1. Most "good" and pushed card for some reason has to be rare/mythic or else draft is "unbalanced" so they say. This drives up the average cost of decks.
2. This leads to the problem where the commons and uncommons are not as good (there are some good uncommons though dont get me wrong) and this leads to new players feelling bad. If a new kid does a couple drafts, hes gonna want to build a deck out of the cards hes got, but the power level/complexity on commons/many uncommons is so low he couldnt make a halfway good deck at all. This wasnt always the case.

So we have the pushed cards at mythic/rare, and weaker uncommons/commons. The power level in my opinion needs to be spread back across the commons, revert this NWO nonsense of new players not getting it becuase theyre too complicated. Dont treat your playerbase as dumb when they arent.

I suspect the problem with Standard's decay has many potential issues. Stronger/more complex cards being at higher rarities is probably one of them, but my perpetual issue with Standard is that they won't give enough tools to combo or control decks unless something sneaks under the radar and goes infinite (i.e. the CopyCat deck)

What list seems potentially stronger
BRW, BGW, or BGR

BG already seems like its almost worth playing and splashing some white for Grind//Dust might be enough.

I had tried a BR list for fun in Amonket but in the end it needed a little more and Scorpion God and Grind//Dust might do the trick.

Or is it just worth it to splash some red into the BG deck for the god.

(im newer but the Scarab/snake decks look fun)

Well seeing as most card games are virtual now and wizards refuses to jump physical cards or do a hybrid like pokemon has...

Janky cat tribal here I come.

Why is amonkhet full of cat vampires.

All these white lifelink cats

Eh, limited is SUPPOSEDLY one of the best due to how some rares aren't thay good, commons and uncommons can be just as good, cycling balances the mana fix/screw. And outside of a little imbalance in a few colors (amonkhet with r/w aggro and glorybringer in general) the limited format is one of the best according to a lot of players and pros.

probably a reference to cats being gods by Egyptians of something

Has anyone posted this yet from the afflict spotlight?

We have seen the promo version earlier

The new locust god goes infinite with Saheeli.
Why'd they do this so soon after banning cat combo?

Because it's a staple of DnD Druids and Magic borrows heavily from D&D.

4 mana
when it comes into play it kikik jikis target creature or planeswalker. if the creature is an zombie token instead return it's card from exile.
4/5

No, but honestly I almost prefer this.

Goddamn I love this. It gives your opponent a choice, but unlike Tribute it might actually mean something.

That's because the next three Gods in HOU will be the three Gods that got rekt by Bolas. They've been neutered. Gods with disabilities if you will.

I have high hopes that one or two of the Afflict creatures will be playable in Modern aggro - all it takes is the right ratio and you have an extremely aggressive card.

Have any of you seen this yet?

Also, I like the quote, it's like the mirror is telling you "Hey, see this badass in your reflection? This could be you, but you're too busy being a faggot."

A friend of mine is getting into standard, and I'd like to join him while I'm still in town for the summer.

What are some fun decks to take into FNM this season? I'd rather not play something that's just straight-up aggro, I've played that before in RtR-Theros standard, and it got really boring.

Okay guys, so I might turn this
Creature (20)
2x Baleful Ammit
4x Channeler Initiate
3x Crocodile of the Crossing
1x Dune Beetle
1x Endless One
2x Exemplar of Strength
2x Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
3x Sylvan Advocate
2x Tireless Tracker
Land (25)
3x Blooming Marsh
9x Forest
4x Hissing Quagmire
9x Swamp
Instant (11)
3x Blossoming Defense
4x Grasp of Darkness
4x Hapatra's Mark
Sorcery (2)
2x Wander in Death
Enchantment (2)
2x Nest of Scarabs

into this
Creature (17)
2x Archfiend of Ifnir
4x Channeler Initiate
3x Crocodile of the Crossing
2x Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
4x Soul-Scar Mage
2x The Scorpion God
Land (25)
3x Blooming Marsh
2x Canyon Slough
9x Forest
4x Mountain
4x Sheltered Thicket
3x Swamp
Instant (14)
3x Blossoming Defense
4x Hapatra's Mark
3x Magma Spray
4x Shock
Enchantment (2)
2x Nest of Scarabs
Planeswalker (2)
2x Nissa, Genesis Mage

either when the rotation comes or when HOU releases.
what you guys think about it?

I find that Hapatra is good enough that you probably want 4. Even if you have a second one in your hand it's great knowing that she can easily be replaced is nice. But I don't know how well she works when you add red.

I'm not 100% sure but I think if your running soul scar Mage then you want sweltering suns. I think soul scar makes all the -1/-1 tokens apply at once so everything will explode into scarabs. I don't think this works well with hapatra though since she doesn't convert counters to snakes at a 1:1 ratio like nest does.

Please forgive this shitpost:

I got into Magic with Magic Duels, earlier this year. I put tons of time into it, and naturally I am really disappointed that the game is no longer being supported. Unfortunately, I still have the desire to play Magic cards online, so I was considering using MTG:O to play standard (as the card pool of standard is what I am most familiar with). Is playing MTG:O Standard worthwhile? Is there a big community? Do Veeky Forums players touch MTG:O at all? Should I consider free MTG implementations like Cockatrice?

I don't especially want to play Standard in paper, because my IRL playgroups don't play Standard (either kitchen table 60 card, or EDH), and I don't see myself going out to LGS to play (outside of pre-releases). I just want to find a convenient want to play Magic Cards online to replace Duels.

I think tappedout is your friend

Could it be a thing?

Sacred cat, adorned pouncer, pride sovereign, oketra, rhonas, regal caracal, serpeopard, metallic mimic.. I'm certainly going to try it for the laughs.

Pride sovereign activates both rhonas and oketra at once which is pretty sweet actually.

Only to the GW Kitty Cat tribals.