>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

>go undefeated to the finals
>choke

whatta maroon!

I wonder what all that moon says

the deck has a decent amount of game against affinity, but this dude just choked. he saw stony silence in the opening 7 and snap-kept without considering the other 6 cards.

I think this tournament goes to show, it helps to be good, but it is better to be lucky, and either draw like you won the lottery or hope your opponents choke. That affinity player in the finals kept the 4-card hand and won because his opponent choked and because eh drew like he was in Vegas. After all, this is a card game, and if you get enough of the famous busted affinity openers you will win every match.

as the saying goes, 'better lucky than good'

pretty refreshing to see a hatebears deck run 16-1-1 at a modern gp, though.

So I missed the GP like a doofus. What does the top 8 look like, and what did I miss?

Are the lists of the top 8 out yet? I hope Affinity winning doesnt mean they ban Opal.

But it is in Vegas

They won't ban opal. It's used in 4 decks now and banning it would leave a big void. Affinity has been a thing for years.

top 8 was

>Death & Taxes
>WG Hatebears
>Affinity
>Affinity
>Affinity
>UB Time Walks
>Burn
>Eldrazi Tron

Robots beat D&T in the Finals because the D&T pilot caught a terminal case of stupid and kept 1 land, Aether Vial, Stony Silence after losing G1.

Man, im a terrible player and even I know that's retarded. At least there's a fellow Burnfag in top 8, though. That hardly happens and I'm always a little excited when it does.

Where the FUCK are the top 32 lists

who cares about the lists of 31 losers

The plan is probably "Stony Silence is my best card in this matchup and my topdecks are better than his" which is honestly probably correct.

That matchup is pretty terrible.

His decision was horrible, he decided not to mull when the affinity player was still on 7 cards. Had the affinity player kept a decent hand he would have been raped even harder.

I think he just got greedy and did not think it through.

People who understand the game, desu.

Stony silence isn't a guarantee win though, like he lost a game on t2.

Are any of the budget decks on Goldfish good, or able to be upgraded into something good?

dnt is as budget as it gets. Aether Vial and Canopys are the only expensive part.

BW Tokens is fine for FNM.
If you're buying Lillis for BGx, you can stuff her into 8 rack and do fine, although 8 rack is not good.
If you want to speculate, Humans tribal might see price increases with Ixaltan or whatnot.

Will infect ever be competitive again?

UW Spirits can be pretty good given how the deck can be either disrupting like Faeries, or aggressive and removal-resistant. It also has many routes of upgrade, such as Bant Company, Jeskai Flying Men (also a budget deck), and Esper Spirits. Even in UW it's still has flex slots such as Aether Vial or Favorable Winds.

8 Whack might be successful, but I am not sure. It's cheap to make and upgradge, and has a few valuable pieces that can be used in other decks.

Faeries can start off cheap and become powerful when upgraded, but it requires a lot of skill to use.

WB Tokens isn't too powerful, but it's definitely a thing.

Soul Sisters is linear as hell, but it's cheap.

Zombies isn't as aggressive as Merfolk, but the tribe gets a lot of support, so you could probably find some standard shit and mesh it with some decent Modern zombies for a deck. Tends to be resilient to removal as long as there's no RIP.

Ditto for Humans. Also works with Soul Sisters if you want to be a double Netdecking louse.

Reddit spacing because long paragraphs.

The mechanic still works, it just needs a new way to protect itself.

>Jeskai Flying Men
This deck is both boring and not good.

t. wannabe-carpet rider

>not riding a Mantis
You're smart, because those fuckers are treacherous!

Anyone have any obscure or undercosted decks they want to brag or yap about?

what deck do you want to play

You should probably use this. Not perfect, but it's something.

user.

>poster asks for budget advice
>posts a chart with four budget options

How big is Magic in Japan?

Big enough that one of the largest shops started Frontier so they could run more events. Japan is really strange though. They love to brew and end up having the meta to accommodate strange and obscure tech.

For under $350 and a reasonable amount of stinginess, I think one could make the following. I am not sure how essential certain things are in a deck, though.
>Possibility Storm
>Faeries
>Zombie Hunt (shit)
>Seismic Swans
>UB Mill (shit)
>Bogles
>8Rack
>8Whack
>Death & Taxes
>Spirits (cut Green)
>Mono-Red Burn
>5-Color Living End
>Tooth and Nail
>Spellweaver Helix (depends on combo)

Most of it is simply cutting fetchlands and using budget dual lands as substitute. Some cards can also be replaced for budget, such as RIP/Void with Tormod's Crypt.
(Not listing the Teal Decks because they're obviously budget.)

This combination of cards came to me in a dream. I'm doing crazy stuff but I have no idea where to go with this.

For reference, I drew my whole deck on turn 3.

Does Felodar guardian do anything flickerwisp doesn't?

>spirits cut green
Might as well not even play it then desu senpai

>returns card before end of turn
>"may"
>permanent you control

Please learn to read cards, you fucking standard baby.

Hey guys, is it possible for me to make a decent deck under $250 that can be upgraded? Or should I just play for a bit more and then bite the bullet and get something more expensive?

Thanks bitter user

Just get the event deck, and slowly upgrade it over time.

You can do both just fine. Budget decks like 8wack, mono red burn, black devotion, BW Tokens, etc. can be built for cheap and and some of them can be upgraded over time or played while you build a meta deck.

If you go ahead and pull the trigger on a "real" deck, you'll obviously do better immediately but sometimes $500- $600 is a bit much up front.

Which event deck? Not that user, but a dumb one.

The BW Tokens one. It was printed a few years(?) back and goes for like, $50- $60 last time i checked.

I play Esper Spirits (not budget), and it may not be as aggressive as Bant, or as good as Bant overall, at least in a vacuum, but I like being disruptive and having answers. Depends on the meta.

Burn, BW Tokens, Spirits, Humans, Goblins, or Zombies. Certain tribal decks tend to accumulate options over time.

It's 110 now.

Ouch. Well, at least it's cheaper than a meta deck. Probably not worth that price tag, though.

They really should print a new event deck every year with an unlimited print run for that year. Showcase a new staple deck and print a dumbed down version. They'd sell like mad.

With lands?
It's dual color. They're nice, but not essential like tricolor.

Thanks for all the suggestions, 'nons. I think I'm leaning towards zombies or humans because I'm a theme-loving fuck. Plus I opened my first pack in years just now and the Amonkhet Liliana I pulled seems fun if not all that great.

Modern humans are wide open. Check the MTGSalvation thread if you are interested. Many people run mono W, GW, WR, Bant, even 4 color variations. Personally, nothing beats the feeling of T1 Champion T2 Thalia's Lieutenant T3 Champion + another lieutenant.

I'll definitely check it out. Was also looking at the mono B panharmonicon deck along with those two tribes

I was a bit confused until I saw Seism. That's actually pretty sweet user.
Keep playing it and tuning it, this is pretty solid concept and it looks almost 95% like a real viable deck archtype.

What are your thoughts on Crumbling Vestige?

Any good Jeskai Control lists that run Ancestral Vision?

>Jeskai
>Good

You're in the worst three colors of modern. How could it possibly be good?

i'm pretty confused about what this deck is doing but if you're consistently drawing your deck, you can just throw in some grapeshots/lightning storms/lab maniacs
also, why no valakut?

Well, maybe the Hatebears guy shouldn't have kept a hand with only one land to try and draw for the land to get the early stony silence.

According to the top 8 of Vegas the best colors were red, white, blue and colorless :^)

Excuse me. The proper terminology is "generic mana"

what do u think of something like this m8

>check top 8 gp lv
cool how many Death Shadow's makes it to...
>none

so is the top8 were anticipating it or the delver player were sucked at gp?

I just tested this a couple times and apart from being a confusing mess of fuck it actually seems like there's something going on. Add a Valakut and you basically have the Splendid Reclamation deck people have been searching for.

How many Gifts should I run in storm?

The real question is are you running 1 Noxious Revival to go with them?

Is it normal that Chronicles versions of cards have a bit ligther/bluer miscolor than normal cards?

Currently waiting for cards.

I prefer the Apostle Blessing in storm, 0 mana protection seems pretty gud.

The backs of the cards that is

Those Hatebear players are terrible. You're always supposed to have 4 stony silence and 2-3 kataki to consistly win against affinity.

My moon is weak and there's a lot to translate, but it's mostly a bunch of comments on her proportions, her costume, how to draw all of it, and how she's pretty. Some of it is from artist, some is written as if being said by a sort of onlooker.

On a personal note, dem hips

>You're supposed to dedicate 6 sideboard slots to a deck that has looked on the downturn for a while

Pic related
Some of the cards also have a bit sharper corners than usual, but I don't know if that's just the quality of the cutters from then

The corners in question

It is.

Still, the meta is : chalice+ballista/discard+push/living end+conflagrate/burn...

If you are happy to beat R/G tron, good for you.

Oh and the title of the pic on pixiv is basically "Thalia is cute in her black tights!"

That's why affinity took the fucking tournament, because fuckers always forget about it. You should always be prepared for the fastest,most unfair deck in modern.

Yeah no it's impossible to adequately prepare against every deck in the field. Shit like this just happens, there's no point trying to learn a lesson from it.

Tron runs Brutality or Path so good luck with that.

Not while Fatal Push is around. Back when Bolt was the king of removal you could give yourself protection. Now it's Vines or bust, and it's not good enough.

UW Jerks. It's like Hatebears but different colours. I can give you a list if you like. Mine probably pushes over the $250 mark but a good chunk of that is the 4 Rune Halos in my sideboard. The mainboard is pretty cheap really. Thalia is the most expensive card and I only run 3 of her. At the moment I'm sporting a positive record against some tier 1 decks at my LGS, and the deck is still a work in progress.

So its a variation of "x is cute CUTE"

I got drunk last night and bought b/w eldrazi taxes

does anyone have data / anecdotal evidence on the different variants? (bant / gw / ect)

Bump

i've gotten the idea that blue players are a bunch of whiners,but, what other stereotypes are there for players who play certain colors/color combos? what's there to say about a jund player for example?

Should I sell my affinty deck?

Is taking turns a viable deck? Budget version?

No. Affinity is performing well because of how dominant death shadow is. Death shadow is more likely to be banned.

don't sell unless you need to liquidate all your shit. Taking turns is good, will probably get a little worse now that people know how to deal with it. I don't really see a budget version being worth it, given that decks like burn or living end which can be made on a budget would be much more viable

From an old "Night before ban list" but still good

what was so bad about bloodbraid elf?

What's the strategy against taking turns?

Play spells that make players draw extra cards every turn. Play extra turn spells. Draw extra cards. Loop until you've taken all the turns.

Oh I read that wrong.
Take out their card draw artifacts/enchantments. Without those extra draws they're super likely to fizzle. Or just be aggressive and win before they get to 5 mana.

I'm thinking of taking a break from Merfolk. Most of my games feel like uphill battles. They felt better during twin era. I want to build Eldrazi Tron because I already own 3 Chalices, One Karn, and a few other cards that bring the cost to just over $400. There any guides online on what to side for certain matchups?

Hasty 3/2 + free lightning bolt/thoughtseize/lilliana/tarmogoyf/etc = very good

made an already tier 1 deck like tier -1

Think about this: BBE-> KCommand. That's literally a 3-fo-1 for 4 mana.

this, but also why us time dudelets need to educate one another on this super valuable and dankass sideboard tech to combat such reckless interactionfaggotry

stony silence, revokers, flickerwisp, path, eldrazi displacer (if you're on e/t), plenty of ways to handle the robot menace. the finalist just made a greedy keep and got rekt.
>1 land
>1 vial
>1 stony
>(cards)
is not a keep i would make with no scry. on a mull i think i would, but i'm also not under the immense pressure i perceive gp finalists to be under.

i can tell you pretty much anything you might want to know about it. ask away!

depends on what you're playing, but the key cards are dictate of kruphix, howling mine, exhaustion and gigadrowse, use disruption on these and get an early clock and you should be alright

okay cool, I'm coming from a world of linear aggro/combo decks like dredge / living end so playing something this interactive is new to me. What are your thoughts on confidant in the mb, some lists run 2 others omit it. Also how often / when do you board out aether vial? Some people board out 4 in almost every match up, other people take out thalias and trim some other cards

running bob hinders your ability to play multiple reality smashers. you CAN do it, but i'd rather run smashers because you're not going to out-jund jund with bobs in e&t.
i personally do not board out aether vial for any reason. it generates so much virtual mana over the course of a game that i won't hesitate to call it the best card in the deck. even if they needle it right away, you've got a free-play with eldrazi displacer as a result. just remember to tick it up every upkeep (to whatever # you want it on, usually 3) so you can flickerwisp the needle for some value later on.
taking out thalias is a valid decision though. in fact i've been dicking around with a 3-color list that runs thalias in the board.

So I've been playing Bant Spirits in my local metagame.
>50% of the metagame is Grixis Shadow
>30% is merfolk
>the rest is pretty spread out between eldrazi, burn and scapeshift

I've been doing suprisingly well, mostly because I don't think anyone knows what my deck does, which might be to my benefit. The hardest matchups are usually against merfolk, because they do what I do better. I'm trying new stuff and want to upgrade, but I got super punished when I tried shifting to Knightfall and Counter Company.

Feel free to call me bad, but does Knightfall seem super exposed? I've tested it a lot and never got the combo. Things get bolted, pushed, seized, etc before they seem good, and it feels grindy and not very interactive when Scooze is my only hope. Counter Coco also gets messed with hard since its become so popular, and at this point, I'm jealous of decks that have answers. Also if anyone who plays stuff in my metagame has tips for sideboard stuff they hate, let me know.

This sounds like the most boring meta we have had in a long time. Replace merfolk with affinity and that sums is up well.

I like my friends that play there, and Spirits allows me to evade removal and find answers on the fly.

I know it's not as good as it was, but everytime I get hit with burn, I'm super jealous about just bolting someone's face 3 times out of the blue.