Best system for zombies?

Best system for zombies?

Other urls found in this thread:

drunkandugly.com/category/red-markets/
archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1472/50/1472502568922.pdf
nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A generic one like GURPS or one of the eighty-thousand zombie RPG games. Many of them are alright.

Red Markets, no contest. The book's coming out later this year but you can find beta rules if you look hard enough.

>a game of economic horror

You need to elaborate.

Imagine a society based on unrestricted free-market capitalism.

but with... zombies?

Okay, but what do the zombies have to do with it then?

Corporate zombies.

D&D
Dark Heresy & co.

Just looked it up. Player characters are traders who travel between cities and go through quarantine zones so I guess that's how the economy comes into play?

The zombies are like "the weather" the apocalypse has happened and the dead roam the lands, but the only reason you get up in the morning and face the zombie hordes is to pull licenses from the dead's pockets to cash into the govt. for food and rations. The economic horror comes from "do I feed my family and pay rent this month, or do I upkeep my gun so it doesn't break while I face down some horrible lovecraftian horror made out of zombie bodies strung together by black sinews of flesh"

but there must be some that are above the rest? Surely some of those eighty-thousand zombie games are better than others.

Ah, so it's one of those zombie things where the zombies happened and made society shit, but there is still society. I get that. The logistics of it I don't get, but I get the idea.

all flesh must be eaten for customizable zombies, gurps is great in general, apocalypse world could also work.

Raised and enslaved by necromancer.
All types of zombies.
Fast, slow, agile, can talk (although no own consciousness), weak, almost unstoppable, dies from one bullet like any human... it goes on

GURPS Basic Set + After the End + Zombies = Any conceivable zombie game ever.

Sine requie

Savage Worlds, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Nemesis

Do you want to be the zombies? Nechronica's pretty much peerless in that category.

Communism

Basic synapse of the game:

The Crash was the event where some virus turns a bunch of people into zombies. What's left of the U.S. Government has essentially walled off a portion of the United States and everything else has been left to shit. Enclaves have formed in various parts of the US where people are able to hold ground against Zombies and they manage to do business with not only each other but with the government by means of Takers (which is what you are) and drone delivery.

The virus has essentially created a bunch of shmablers who, as another user has stated, are primarily more like enviornmental hazards you have to take into account. The real danger comes from various gangs and groups that exist out in the wilds as well as vectors which are super variants of zombies.

For PCs you have your normal run of the mill types and then you have latents (who are people that were bitten but didn't turn) that can become Vectors when killed and Immunes who, of course, are immune to the virus.

You typically live in an Enclave and have to look for work to pay upkeep on your livlyhood not only for yourself but your dependants and you get money from not only jobs but from shit along the way to like finding papers for identification or securing sites and selling them off to people looking to form their own enclaves.

End goals include getting a boat and going to Hawaii, forming your own Enclave or buying your way back into civilization.

yeah, but what's the actual system?
Like a setting is all fine and dandy, but to call it "the best zombie rpg" it should stand out for having excellent rules.

My only experience with the game is from listening to a few podcasts of it so here is a game session to listen to if you will

drunkandugly.com/category/red-markets/

thanks m8

archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1472/50/1472502568922.pdf See for yourself.

Looks like some fruity two-different-colored-dice bullshit.

settings agnostic or are you looking for the best zombie game? Because most universal systems end up with a zombie splat.

Whatever one has
>The sound of the zombies growling has attracted more zombies.

Z-Land. It's out in beta now.

AFMBE

That's a horrible ruleset.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten, End of the World - Zombies, and Dead Reign are the best zombie systems.

Savage Worlds is okay-ish, GURPS is only ever complimented by obvious GURPS shills.

Of those I listed, All Flesh is probably the best zombie RPG system out there, but it's hard to find the physical books and with its last book being from about 12 years ago I think many people haven't even heard of it.

You what?

Z-Land is also good.

Red Markets seems like it might be cool for some post-post-apocalypse gaming, but its zombies sound too weak.

I won't disagree that the actual system could be improved, but as far as zombie based rpgs go, its one of the best ones.

setting agnostic and it has all the bases covered. Everything you would want in a zombie game, it has.

>Everything you would want
Except good rules.

What about AFMBE's rules are bad, besides the clunky nature of it and its inelegant math? I'm pretty sure it never actually says what the hell a success level is, either, which seems important since so much works off it.

Don't forget the arbitrary weapon damage and shitty supernatural bollocks

>supernatural bollocks
this IS a thread about... zombies. You can call it an infection or a disease all you want, but its still basically just magic. Without exception.

What system would be best when running a game in the Left 4 Dead universe?

Also to follow up with another question, what would be some cool/horrifying special infected mutations that I can throw at the players?

Infected! seems pretty cool. It's not set during the zombie apocalypse but rather a few years after. Most zombies were killed and only some packs remain dormant in ruins, waiting for human scavengers. The biggest danger however are the different human factions with their own agendas. There's also a pretty cool faction that uses trains to move from location to location.

If I remember correctly AFMBE is based on the same system as Deadlands and Deadlands: Hell on Earth. A success level is 5 points. If TN is 6 and you get a 16, you have two levels of success.

Being infected with Autism so severe you make an entire campaign based entirely on a single video game

Anyone happen to know that one system with the zombie lolis? I remember playing it once long ago and never heard of it again.

Oh awesome. Thanks user.
Does anyone actually ever play it or is it one of those super niche weeb systems.

I've been involved in no less than seven Nechronica games, though only two of those are still active at the moment, others being dead or over for various reasons. It's by no means a common system, but nor is it impossible to find a game for if you're looking in the right place or get lucky. Really, I got lucky. Exceptionally lucky.

Anarchocapitalism

made me lol user

if they're in waist-deep water why are none of these fucks pointing their lights downwards?

The digestive system.

What this user said.
I'm a fan of All Flesh Must Be Eaten for zombie games. Its does nothing else, but it is really really good at that.

Not really, see

No, AFMBE uses the Unisystem. Same as Buffy, Witchcraft and Conspiracy X. It's a d10 system that isn't as good as ORE but pretty close.

>shitty supernatural bollocks

That the book says you can totally ignore and indeed you can totally ignore?

AFMBE tries to be versatile so it spans a lot of genres, including medieval fantasy and gothic vampire stuff, so of course it includes the potential for magic. It's not required at all and has a much larger framework in place for completely realistic zombie settings.

>t. gurps shill

GURPS is pretty awful for zombies, I've found. I'd suggest All Flesh or the upcoming Z-Land. All Flesh is definitely versatile enough for you to engineer L4D style zombies, but I don't know how easy it'd be to do the same in Z-Land.

>GURPS is pretty awful for zombies, I've found.
How so?

Gurps is pretty awful for most things.

>completely realistic zombie settings.
If only the rules were close to reflecting reality. I'd much rather be forced to use D&D for a zombie game than AFMBE.

What a nice and detailed explanation.

Oh you've done it now.

>Gurps is pretty awful for most things.
Are you gonna talk about how or not?

>herewego.jpeg

>GURPS is awful because it tries to be versatile so it spans a lot of genres, including medieval fantasy and gothic vampire stuff, so of course it includes the potential for magic. It also has optional things you can ignore and that's bad.
>AFMBE is good because it tries to be versatile so it spans a lot of genres, including medieval fantasy and gothic vampire stuff, so of course it includes the potential for magic. It also has optional things you can ignore and that's good.

>or one of the eighty-thousand zombie RPG games
I don't know a single one.

Well then check in this thread, you muppet.

I once drafted a scenario for vampire based on Red markets.

The giovanni succeded in tearing down the veil.Tons of wraith flooded into the World (most of them losing their intelligence) and they started reanimating bodies. The Giovannis had ensured maximum Chaos (blowing up power plants, Police stations etc.) and everyone who died immediately became a shambler too.

Society was quickly overwhelmed because the giovanni aided the Zs.They bit off more than they could chew. Most of the Shamblers aren't controlled by the Giovanni.

They protect some Cities with large scale rituals and govern a necropolis travesty of the United States (Masquerade obviously fallen).

The players are part of the alliance of Camarillia elders and the rebellious military. They have enough power to threaten the giovanni but killing them is only going to make the Problem worse (destroying what little control the giovanni have).

The Camarillia is trying to gather necromantic knowledge. The Giovanni are trying to prevent this and solidify their control.

Sabbath elders are dead or have joined the Cam. Whats left (most died early on because they waged open war against the giovanni) of the Sabbath is nearly feral and led by priests convinced that this is gehenna.

There are some risen like intelligent undeads. They are trying to not get enslaved by the Giovanni. Possible allies.

Shamblers only attack Vamps when they are stopping them from attacking humans.

Thanks ;^)

>closer to reflecting reality

How exactly are they bad?

see and

how do you get this pdf?

and how would it work? zombies attack in packs, not in commando 3-6 groups

>arbitrary weapon damage

What did he mean by this?

>success level confusion

It lists them in the revised book and ZM screen verbatim.

>What did he mean by this?

That weapon damage don't mean shit. They just picked a random die, a random modifier and timed it by a random attribute. No rhyme nor reason went into it.

If you're talking about the party, its less zombies and more general walking corpse undead. bodies get fucked up and mutilated and patched together. necromancers bring things to life, bads are also various undead etc.

Speaking of AFMBE, is Eden studios still in business?

What kinds of zombies does z-land deal with? Night of living dead? 28 days? both? none of the above? something else?

I am disappointed that OP wasn't asking about a game for zombie players.

MORE ZOMBIES

does anybody have that screencap?

You don't want a .pdf. No one's made a good Nechronica .pdf so far as I'm aware. Instead, you're gonna want this here wiki. nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page It's the one that actually gets updated and receives new translation efforts and corrections to old translations every now and again.

As to how it works, don't think of the party as shamblers. That's wrong. Legions are shamblers, they're the shitty zombies that your average dude can kill in a single headshot with any pistol. The party are your boss zombies. They're what you're concerned to see one of if you're just a human trying to get through the apocalypse, and yet there's probably four and at least one of them can punch your head clean off in one go despite being 4'3". Nechronica's not a game about spooking and murdering people though. Everyone's already been spooked and pretty thoroughly murdered, usually. Humans have kicked it: all that's left is shamblers, various horrors, other boss zombies (some of which may be more boss zombie than you), and the necromancers that made everything that's running around. That's the world our dead children explore, looking for what semblance of a normal life they can cobble together.

The PDFs are still for sale on DTRPG, but I don't know if any new content's come out recently.

what game does this?

Also this is a good question

Some convention GM's shit homebrew.

personally, i love *all flesh must be eaten*
its simple and you can jump into it really quick,
perfect for oneshots at halloween

Well from the beta it's got quick living zombies and slow dead ones.

Holy shit is it 2003 again?

Hey guys, remember AlbinoBlackSheep and YTMND?

Zombies are a timeless love.

Remember that year when they released a bunch of major zombie video games and films?

Oh wait, that's literally every year.

The difference is no one really cares anymore.

And yet zombies are still popular. So I guess it's just you.

>no one cares
>the year the Lord 2004+13

Zombies have become their own popcultural mythos on par or surpassing vamps.

Probably because they heard a sound coming from above.

Zombies are still popular but stopped being good around 2005, peaking at Shaun of the Dead. Zombieland was the last good zombie media but wasn't as good as Shaun, Dawn, or 28 Days.

Then The Walking Dead came with a decent Season 1, but it destroyed any fiction related to zombies afterward, and after that we just keep getting shit.

So, it's basically The Last of Us the RPG, except with legalized smuggling.

>Walking Dead

It was never Good if you knew the comics.

It squanders all Potential that a long term approach to a zombie pandemic has.

Season 1: We have a police officer as signature character ffs. Slowly explore the collapse of the society. Do i confiscate this food my family? What are we doing with with bitten people etc.

Season 1 ends with the Police collapsing.

Season 2: Mass infection. Social Order completely collapses. Riots, National guard comes in. Family is barricaded in their house. Rick occassionally goes scavenging.

Season 2 ends with the town falling so that the Family has to flee.

Season 3: Your standard walking dead we run through the woods and met the occassional psycho.

Season 4: Characters settle somwhere and start building a town. Refugees pour in, you have to establish order and the basics of living.

Season 5: Actual politics. Not some mentally ill faggot or a cosplayer with a lion. Conflicts were both sides have a point.

- The state governor tries to reestablish order around some national guard units. The Settlement resists because their approach is flawed. Now they are separatists.

-Another normal Settlement. Ressources are scarce. Both sides have a point. War breaks out and we have some actual morality.
Btw peak of the zombies were the old romero films from the late 60s-80s. That shit is hella dope. Old dawn of the Dead is the best One.

What made vampires popular out of nowhere? Was it really Twilight? I thought they had gotten popular again before that and that the popularity helped get the film made in the first place.

Annie Rice then World of Darkness
If anything, Twlight exists because of WoD

Did an RPG really influence the movie and TV series making industries that much?

They've been popular pretty much since they've been conceived.

It did when it was the favoured pastime of the liberal arts nerds who went on to become the movie and TV industry's new generation.