>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

wrathofzombie.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/the-wrathofzombie-totally-unofficial-hack-of-the-alice-class-from-a-red-and-pleasant-land/
anydice.com/program/c0de
walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the best class for a gay Elf trying to hunt down his husband who was turned into a Vampire?

I'm not gay but I've always wanted to do this.

Glamour Bard

Is Dueiling fighting style still compatible with a quarterstaff wielded one-handed for Polearm Master?

Rogue or Barbarogue.

Yes, quarterstaff is the best Shield user weapon.

Ranger or Monster Hunter. Do some tragic final death thing. Paladin or Cleric could be good if you want to take it to extreme levels of homosexual roleplaying.

>Polearm master quarterstaff meme

When will it stop?

When it's not RAW or RAI. So maybe 6e.

That's what I'm wondering too, but by the looks of it it's all legit. Which is odd, since you think the devs would somehow work regular ol' spears in there as well. All in all, it's a huge oversight on the part of Mearls.

Difference is you stab bitches with a spear, anything that moves the stabby bit away from them to hit with the end is kinda silly.

Glaive, halberd and quarterstaff are all swung into people, and if you have the momentum of them moving already then why not crack the haft into their head as well? It's still sort of stupid on anything but a quarterstaff but you can see why they did it that way.

Yes, I am aware bojutsu exists and that the historical Guan Yu did it, but I just dislike how it seems to render dual wielding obsolete.

Let Duel-Wielders make extra bonus action attacks with extra attack. So 4 at level 5.

Dual wielding is goofy anyway. Gimmick fighting techniques like using a trident or dual-wielding should be suboptimal or obsolete.

That seems a bit too much.

Hey Veeky Forums

There's a guy in my new group wanting to play this homebrew class

wrathofzombie.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/the-wrathofzombie-totally-unofficial-hack-of-the-alice-class-from-a-red-and-pleasant-land/

Is this a red flag?

haven't read it but yes

Not really, it means (without feats) Two-Handers do 4d6+8 at level 5, while Dual-Wielders do 4d6+16 and have to give up their bonus action. If you have to give something up, you should be dealing more damage then someone who doesn't. If you include feats like 99% of games then Dual-Wielding is slightly worse still but not complete trash.

The main person I'd be worried about making Dual-Wielding too powerful with this is Paladins at level 11, but they don't get the fighting style anyway which makes them worse at it.

I just don't understand how anyone can allow PAM to apply to one handed quarterstaff. I get that it works RAW, but how did the designers think this was a good choice?
It's nonsensical (inb4 'but what about magic and dragons?') and I'm glad none of my players know enough about the rules to exploit this or hand crossbow shenanigans.

>I just don't understand how anyone can allow PAM to apply to one handed quarterstaff.
It's more busted with GWM and GWF on a Halberd desu.

Give extra attack at 5 to TWF and it deals more damage than one handed dueling Quarterstaff without a feat tax.
anydice.com/program/c0de

Would generic character classes work in 5E?

I agree, but at least I can handle the idea of someone using the back end of a two-handed polearm to make a quick attack. Personally, I wouldn't let GWM apply to the bonus action attack.

The real cancer of these generals is the one dingus who keeps trying to push the Sharpshooter GWM Heavy Crossbow 1d4 + Str + 20 attack meme.

The URL is a red flag, if nothing else.
Closer inspection reveals that the pdf is poorly made and the idea is dumb. My judgment is that (You) were asking a rhetorical question, posting bait, or legitimately have a red flag.

>Fighters now get 3 extra attacks as a bonus action
This can't possibly end well.

Yeah, I'm still iffy on letting Fighter's get away with it for their 3rd-4th attacks but the level 5 extra attack's fine.

No bait intended, I just wanted to get some other opinions on it, I've never actually seen anyone want to play homebrew before

Should have just posted the PDF instead of the URL though, my bad

As a GM, I would NEVER introduce these kinds of vague arbitrary rules.

>Your get extra attack... but only the first one.
This is already a stupid limitation. Why only the first? Why are fighters hit with a restriction that doesn't apply to everyone else?

>not problem on Paladins
In what world? They can grab a level of fighter for the fighting style. Hell, most people already do this, action surge is far too good for the level dip needed.

What does /5eg/ think about just adding up the damage dice instead on normal attacks?

So 2 short swords = 2d6.

No bonus action attacks (unless you spend a feat I guess).

This makes it the DEX alternative to two handed weapons (STR still has an advantage with reach).

What do you do if you're not having fun in an online session because of the DM/other players not being good?

Not talking about them being assholes or actively bad, DM is just not good at building the world at a depth that I'd prefer and the other players are inexperienced at the game and aren't roleplaying at all. They're not the type of problems that are going to be quickly solved by talking/complaining to them, so should I just excuse myself from the sessions? Idk I just feel bad because they're not doing anything "wrong" per say, I'm just disappointed.

Need some advise...

I am playing as a Warlock in a group with an Assassin Rogue and a Valor Bard. Both are doing far better than I am.

Now, I probably messed up. I choose Blade Pact, and my stats at level 1 was 15 Cha and 17 Dex. I intend to multiclass out of Warlock and into fighter (this was always the plan), but what should my goal forward be? I know we are aiming for level 20 down the line.

Warlock 3/fighter 17 - basically abandon my dead class choice?
Warlock 4/fighter 16 - get that extra ASI before abandoning ship?
Stick with Warlock and get some more levels for it, supplementing with some fighter levels? Maybe 3 or 4 fighter levels, rest Warlock?

Or another mix entirely?

I think it's a rather inelegant solution.
The extra attack is good thematically, because it helps reinforce the idea that 'more weapons = more attacks'. It also makes it beneficial for on-hit effects.
You'd also have a replacement for the TWF fighting style.

Balance-wise, it might be a bit strong.

TWF with short swords should deal less damage than a greatsword because dex. TWF with hand axes should deal less because Throwable. Dual wielder should deal less than GWM because it gives +1 ac. Dual wielder should do more than polearm master with quarterstaff and shield because it gives less AC. Not much room there.

Actually read the first 3 pages. Tell him no.

Which is why I said I'm iffy on it, I'm not going to include rules until I actually work out exactly how it will work.

The second one is an issue with a variant rule. Granted I do allow multiclassing but with justifiable reason and once you reach level 12 then dealing 8d8+16 with a feat isn't too big of a deal compared to PAM+GWM getting 2d10+1d4+3d8+12+30 damage.

I actually like that idea, no idea what TWF would now do though.

Because they're the exception of the rule by having more than 1 extra attack, so they also become the exception of TWF's rule.
No point disallowing a cool feature for everyone because fighter would break it, specially as they rarely have use for bonus action already.

Bullshit.

High dex makes armour a bad choice, and even with TWF, a platearmour on a GWM makes the GWM insanely better on all fronts. Better armour and better damage. No downside.

TWF still eats your bonus action for less damage.

>because it helps reinforce the idea that 'more weapons = more attacks'

I don't think that's an idea that's worth reinforcing, because imo it's fucking stupid. I don't mind it being on a feat, but as a baseline it's very silly.

Just open up to the DM and say you want to leave. It's really shit simply being a no-show.

So you would rather disallow for the fighter?
>Hey your class has a cool feature
>check out this house rule, it helps out everyone EXCEPT your class, because haha fuck you, you picked the class who is an "exception" xD
I would say yes to EVERYONE, or not at all. Yeah, that would make fighters better at this, but then fighters are supposed to be the, y'know, fighters, so they should be better at it than say, a Barbarian, who has other things going for him.

The problem being, I'm a player not the GM, so I dont know how to non-autistically bring up that the homebrew sucks cock

Say you've got studies/work/whatever really piled on right now. You won't be able to play for a while but when you're available you'll message them to see if they're still going.

That way if you do decide you liked it you have a chance to rejoin.

In terms of hierarchy of damage options I feel it should go, from highest to lowest:

>Two Handed (Axe/Sword/Maul)
No defense, 5ft range
>Polearm
No defense, but can attack from reach
>Dual Wield
+1 AC bonus, both hands must be full even when not attacking
>Sword and Board
The most defensive

Ideally, I'd like versatile weapons to have a use but I haven't been able to figure one out.

The URL looked like a red flag because of the "lolrandom" name the guy uses. Maybe the guy is cool, but has poor taste in homebrew.

If the guy just wants to play nonstandard stuff, maybe point him at walrock-homebrew.blogspot.com/ for homebrew archetypes of regular classes.

Figure out just how much of a "that guy" that guy is, then start giving him as much latitude as he deserves.

I agree it's entirely unrealistic, but the whole fluff behind dual-wielding in fantasy has always been about making multiple attacks in quick succession.

The +1AC is really, really not worth it though. There's a reason people will go for pretty much any other fighting style over Defence.

It makes no sense internally with what an attack action means in D&D either.

I get that it's a trope since... AD&D? but it's kinda cancerous.

Alright, what if we include the extra attacks scaling with Extra Attack as the TWF feature. Then make adding your Ability Modifier to bonus action attacks as part of the feat rather then the +1 AC?

seems like the power gain would be way too massive later on though
So if we are assuming fighter dual wielder vs fighter 2 hander

At level 5 its (assuming 2 handers dont benefit from your rule
Fighter 2H-8d6+mods (4 attacks) (action surge)
Fighter DH- 8d8+mods (8 attacks) (action surge)

Level 10
Fighter 2H- 9d6+mods (6 attacks) (action surge)
Fighter DH- 12d8+mods (12 attacks) (action surge)

so on and so forth there would be no reason to play 2-handers because as a champ dual wielder you'd just make so many attacks and do even more damage

+1 AC counts for a lot, actually, on an AC heavy build. It's definitely the "mechanically boring, but strong" option.

A Barbarian has to use a bonus action to rage.
A Rogue has only one attack and cunning action competing for bonus action.
A Ranger is a Ranger.
Paladin doesn't have access to the fighting style.
Fighter uses Action Surge for free, then uses it's bonus action to laugh at the others using TWF to match their damage output.

Play a Totem Barbarian and when it's appropriate let your DM curse you into being a werewolf.

Hope the vampire glitters in sunlight.

>action surge gives you another lot of bonus action attacks

That's stupid. Action Surge gives you another action and your bonus action attacks are only equal to your Extra Attacks. Also GWM gives you a bonus action attack if you kill someone, GWF gives about +1 damage per attack and the whole -5, +10 shit pushes Two Handers much higher.

On a build specifically to be a tanky asshole it's decent. However the amount of disadvantages a TWF has against a Polearm user is just hideous.

I'm sorry actual fighting is more efficient than silly, flashy bullshit fighting.

Beg for a remake.

Versatile weapons are good on a Champion with Dueling and GWF so they can choose between defensive or offensive.
Also good on non Martials when they get melee'd.

Switch to sorclock and ask if you can grab the warlock smite from UA.

Then quicken bladespells. If you are allowed, switch patron to Undying light to add +CHA to GFB, and pick a fire dragon sorc bloodline.

Duelling or Defense Style on a Pala/Bladelock?

Tomelock for shillelagh instead.

I'm having trouble figuring out, from a worldbuilding/setting standpoint what specific experience or mindset distinguishes Bard with class levels from their mundane counterparts.

I understand and fully accept that the Bard is utilizing their master of words and patterns in the world to reshape reality through music and song, but is it then assumed that every sufficiently trained troubadour is capable of performing bardic cantrips and at least first-level spells?

Say, your party sees a band playing at the duke's wedding: if they're good enough to get hired for this high-profile gig, is it also safe to assume their music is magical? Is the rule set trying to imply that every career musician in the world of D&D is probably magic?

So I've been thinking of how to make Rangers somewhere nearly as good as a Paladin and I've got an idea. Give them a 2nd level feature that basically fills their place of Smite.

When they hit a creature they can place a Mark on them, the Mark lasts for a minute and whenever they hit the target they deal an extra 1d6 damage (2d6 for a 3rd level slot and 3d6 for 5th). While a creature is Marked the Ranger gets ADV on any checks made to track or detect them. They can only have one Mark at a time and if they make a new one then their previous Mark ends. If the Marked target is their Favored Enemy then they can keep the Mark on them for 24 hours.

Thoughts? I'd obviously remove Hunter's Mark if I put this in. I like the idea that their damage bonus can scale and works with TWF like it's meant to.

Forgot to mention that the Mark costs a spellslot.

"without feats" was his first thing but with feats only does this get worse

5th level Half orc Frenzy Barbarian 2hander with GWM and Orcish fury can be doing (which he cant even have those feats by then lul)
(Assuming 20 strength)
6d6+21 (3 attacks and rage bonus) so far
+ GWM= 6d6+51
+ orcish fury 7d6+51 So yes you are right early on the ole two hander does do some crazy shit
but later on Fighters can be doing things (assuming with every bonus attack you get a bonus action to attack again with with duel wielding
Level 5
Crit on 19-20
im not aware of any crazy feats for duel weilders but tell me if i miss anything
Damage totals up to
(assuming 20 dex or str)
8d8+40
(or 6d8+30 in the case of no renewed bonus actions)

But at level 11th like i said things get fucky

Barb is doing the same shit he was doing but with about 3 more damage so
7d6+54 damage at level 10 3 attacks

But the fighter is getting out of hand
Crit on 19-20
12 attacks totaling 12d8+60 damage
or 9d8+45 damage 9 attacks
Thats all i have to say

what do you guys think of the protection fighting style @ level 1 if everyone else is fairly squishy

Simply playing music well is not enough to be a Magic Bard. You have to learn secret and well-guarded techniques of how to interact with the ethereal nature of magic itself using sound waves. It takes time, dedication, and above all a very different set of skills and knowledge from a mundane musician.

A bard is to a musician as a wizard is to an academic.

Back for advice my brethren...

I've been playing with my group for almost a year now. I'm the fighter of the group, a DW Fighter at that. I'm equipment reliant and I know it, so I actively pursue shiny things.

Recently, I've been seperated from the group In-Game (I couldn't play a weekend, so they left Waterdeep without my character. Didn't even leave a note.), in which our DM has ran coinciding plots for my Character and the other 4 players.

I wrapped up all of the open plot-hooks and quests we had in Waterdeep by myself, I befriended the major NPC's we were interacting with, by myself. I killed the main antagonist and his group that my other companions ignored/fled from. I did all of this in 5 days when the group left my character a total of 3-weeks ago.

So I've recently come into a mass wealth of 6k Gold, 15 magical items + the items I already had(Attunements and Non-Attunements) varying from Uncommon to Rare Wondrous.

Anyways, they're upset that I have all this equipment now. Yeah they killed a dragon in the time difference, but they're too stupid and un-creative to ever make profit or to find goods without me legitimately holding their fucking hands. I'm the CN character, but they all act like the CN variant that we all hate OHSORANDUMZ and generally act like Murder-Hobos with no direction.

I have no intention of sharing any of my acquired wealth with them, or to give out these magical items that I can't even attune (I already have 3.) or to even tell them what I really have, yet they feel I need to do so since they don't have shit.

What's your opinion in this situation? Am I in the wrong here? Should I try to elevate my retarded group members with my fat loot?

These numbers make now fucking sense...

Why is the Fighter getting 8 attacks at level 5? The most he can do while surging is 6. What the fuck is a renewed bonus action? Nothing in the game gives that.

Barbarian sustained damage output vs. Fighter burst makes no fucking sense for comparing. If we're making the best builds possible then the level 5 Barb will be a V.Human with GWM+PAM and getting a bonus action attack even without Rage with ADV on all attacks.

Once again at level 11 the Fighter will be doing 6 attacks for all day long, or 9 once per rest. Compared to GWM+PAM users getting 4. Dual-Wielders dealing 6d8+30 (9d8+45 with surge), compared to GWM alone dealing 6d8+45 (12d6+90 with surge) and having a good chance of getting another attack.

You don't seem to have a fucking clue how the system works.

Newfag or retarded? None of this is worth typing out and half of it is literally wrong.

read the post before mine particularly
Which is what i was discussing
No need to be rude when you don't understand what is happening my dude

Doesn't answer the combat style question.
Paladin is the main class so it's happening either way.

>Let Duel-Wielders make extra bonus action attacks with extra attack. So 4 at level 5.
>At level 11 Fighters have 3 Attacks
>Then 3 as a bonus action
>6 Attacks
>Action Surge gives an extra action
>9 Attack

So where does 12 attacks come from?

Thats what fucking "Renewed bonus actions" means which is why i called it "Fucking stupid" or at least meant to

the guy originally said give them a extra bonus action to attack when they get a extra attack
so action surge refreshes your extra attacks
So it would also refresh your extra attacks extra bonus actions right?
which is why i was trying to point out in 5 levels the barbarian is already being beaten and will be beaten for the rest of the game by a duel wielding fighter
Not even counting his incredible chance at getting crits with fucking 12 attacks

Opinion question for /5eg/, I'm not a hugely experienced DM and I have a player (not a That Guy, but definitely plays more 5e) who's been given access to a single Wish from a grateful djinni he saved as an optional sidequest while the party was on an excursion to the City of Brass.

He'd like to use that wish to get himself a Blessing, out of the DMG section on "alternate rewards".

Any opinions on whether a wish would be reasonably able to accomplish that without getting "insufficient power" or "perverts your intent"? I don't want to screw him over on the wish (and the NPC certainly has no reason to try), but I'm wondering how overpowering the blessings are, versus how strong wish is, since it'd be kind of like a free +2 to an ability score, +1 AC/saves, Advantage on saves against spells and magic effects, etc.

They're 8th level right now, if that makes any difference.

+2 to an ability score that isn't their main one 'You're already too wise/charismatic/etc for me to help with that' seems fair enough, though.

Would you let a ranger expand exhaustion for a guarantee hit with adventage?

There is so much wrong with this sentence.

For a Halfling beast conclave ranger (Wolf rider), should I go with STR+Lance or stick with DEX and shortsword?

The blessings are not that bad if you fix them up a little bit but if he spergs out about it just remind him its your game
The charms are temporary and what he probably wont go for if he's smart
Land or medals are not really within the djinni's right to grant but you could allow it
And then the thing you have to say no to are "Epic boons"
Because they are meant for level 20+
thats about it thought they are pretty tame for everything that isint epic boons

How in the fuck do you explain this in game?
he aims so hard he bursts a blood vessel in his eye?
i dont see how you can exhaust your self in 6 seconds

>guarantee hit with adventage?
>expand exhaustion
What the fuck are you talking about.

Are you okay? Having a stroke maybe?

There nothing wrong with wanting the higher of 2 20. I thought guarantee critical might be a bit too much.
Blood rush and your nerve go on overdrive. For a few seconds your sense spike up and you notice the world around you slow down.

What fucking language are you attempting to communicate with?

In answer to your question, no, that's a stupid idea.

I had no intention of epic boons and told him that he had to be 20th level for them but could hold the wish until then if he wanted to try wishing for one.

Instead he specifically wanted a blessing of his choice rather than one of them, but based on his character he'd probably go with either +2 CON (takes him to 22, he's variant human with 2 ASIs in CON), the Valhalla horn one, or Advantage against magic. He's a Bear totem barbarian.

so your telling me by whatever level your characters are
They are fully able to control their bodies to the level of the amount of how much fucking Adrenalin is going through them and how they can over-load their neural system (which doesent even make sense)
No no i would not and nothing you have said makes any sense

Lances have d12 damage, each die progression is about +1 damage. So +3 damage over short sword, but you start with only 14 STR.

Basically yeah, I'd just use a lance and suck up the starting -1 Atk and Dmg for +3 damage each attack

You don't get hoter people moneys.

well then you are safe my dude for the epic boons at least

But the Valhalla horn was one of the ones i was thinking that if he did take it needs to be tweaked make it like the initiation to a quest instead of just "you now have spectral fighters on your side" make him prove that the forever warriors of Valhalla will even have a reason to pay attention to him
make him do something crazy as imo the spirits of Valhalla are pretty crazy about one thing
Battle
Make him fight a completely unwinnable wave style fight see how long he last and at the end (as long as he doesn't sperg the hell out in and out of character) and then have the warriors give him a pat on the back and reward him with their servitude in battle also in the hopes that one day he will join them in Valhalla as well

Anyone know if theres a list of legendary weapons with sentience in D&D?
My searches just land me in various homebrew wikis.

Are there any monster with flyby for beast conclave, other than Owl and Pteranodon?

If not Whelm, Wave, Blackrazor, the Sunsword, or the Sword of Kas, then generally I think most sentient magic weapons are homebrewed

Yeah.
Those'll be a good place to start anyway.
Some options or templates to base a hexblades patron on.

People can will thing into reality with their mind, so why not. I believe 1 minute is enough of an overdose. I think I will also give it +pro ac and double ability check and saving though while it still activated.

What in the fuck are you attempting to say
"Will things into reality" i mean yeah you can meditate you telling me he can fucking do that in 6 seconds flat? what is this guy a fucking level 10 monk? if so sure let him whatever its your game

But besides that + pro ac? you mean + to ac? cause thats ridiculous your senses dont get sharper if you just will your self into having more Adrenalin (which i still dont get how you think you can just do) would make you do things faster in order to dodge
And doubling ability checks
Are you ok over there man? do you need a fucking medical check up

Jesus christ, fucking utterly terrible.

Speaking of Extra Attack, why are Fighters the only class that gets more than one extra attack? It seems weird that the other melee classes like the Barbarian don't get this as well, especially since Fighters already get to inflate their stats and amount of feats anyways.

Admittedly, Barbarians have their Rage for extra damage, but Fighters have superiority dice or more crits, too.

I get that Paladins don't get extra attacks since their Smites scale pretty well I guess, but barbarians are supposed to be the high risk/high reward frenzy fighters. It doesn't really feel like their damage at later levels reflects this.

>spinning quarterstaff & shield good
>main gauche and niten technique don't real
>actual fighting

I tried it out in the Death House adventure in Curse of Strahd. That disadvantage really really helps with the shambling mound boss

I'm a class with only light armour and simple weapons but I've got 16 STR and I sorta want to use it.

Is Weapon Master feat worth itN

Paladins and Rangers both get a damage boost at 11. Paladins get +1d8 to every attack they make and Rangers get something depending on their subclass.

Barbarians, some Rangers and most Monks get a defensive ability at 11.

I'm going to guess Warlock or Mystic. In both cases no, just use a Mace if you have to pretend to be a melee character who's gonna die.

You ignore all the support these casters could get

Like Mystic can use Brute Force and hit for +2d6 damage.