Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/ (Pathfinder and Starfinder)

Storytelling edition
How do you feel about PC's sitting down for some of them to tell stories while the others listen? Has there been a particularly memorable such moment in your games?

PoW errata: dreamscarred.com/path-war-errata/

Link repository; point out problems if found: ghostbin.com/paste/tx5h8
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/SYcfHh6L
strawpoll.me/13229240
paizo.com/threads/rzs2uerg?Group-Looking-for-Friday-Night-GM#1
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/79068/journey-to-the-west
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/77814/ensoulment-of-the-flower-court
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/77201/essentia-forgotten-home
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/80257/wrath-of-the-righteous
app.roll20.net/forum/post/5126499/round-2-dot-dot-dot-3
dropdeadstudios.com/forum/#/20170618/end-of-the-playtest-5433830/
pastebin.com/1CSgeLAT
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is this, a tavern for ants?

If I wanted to hear tall tales I'd read whatever the equivalent of Homer is.

Speaking of stories...
>Spiriting of the Flower Court II: Ichabod Gambles for his Freedom (and the evidence)
give me a few to finish it up.

Why are there no wizard archetypes that give up scribe scroll without giving up other bonus feats? I want bonus feats and an arcane school but not scribe scroll.

Why don't you ask your GM if you can swap it out for an arcane discovery?

Not really. To my knowledge, the closest thing is a Contemplative, but they're very far from being the same.

REMINDER
If you're not on this list, you're officially out of running for Chalice:
Amena bint Rima
Asmund Rohrbach
Delnora Costigan
Jessup "Jess the Fair" Kruegen
Kyoot
Laila al-Massoud
Mora Tulsa
Neelu Aria
Odessa Casilieris
Rainyday Tamarnell
Tarkus Talgran
Walice
This is the preliminary player list for Chalice.

I POST THE THING!
pastebin.com/SYcfHh6L

Now I'm gonna take a bit of a break before the next one. Hopefully some strong meme ideas will catch my fancy until then!

VOTE OR DIE
strawpoll.me/13229240

We were on page 7, damn it. We really need to stop making threads on page 7.

>MUH PAGE 7
You really need to stop being so anal about it.

That was fucking two hours ago. That thread is on page 9 now. Stop being such a fucking crybaby.

Who wants to run a game for Ssalarn?

Come on, let's start up a Roll20 and have Ssalarn be an auto-accepted app!

2HU
RUN A GAME FOR SSALARN
HAVE YOUR ENEMIES USE SOM

When evaluating a class, do you value it being thematically coherent more than mechanically coherent?

Different forms of evaluation. One is how much right it has to exist at all, the other is how many people would ever play it.

Both is nice, but you can't do much without mechanics aside from take feats to try to fill in the gaps.

This is cute. I like it!

>Preference would be an adventure path or a story in a predefined setting so that everyone is on the same page. Players willing to suggest and provide adventure modules.

What's the best AP to run for Ssalarn? Maybe Hell's Rebels?

Oh wait wait wait, what if we try to drag Ssalarn into a lewdgame?

What if it's trying to fill a mechanical gap rather than a fluff gap? And is going the way of 4e, where making the playstyle unique is more important than explaining what it's doing to get those effects?

I don't care. If it can't fit a mechanical gap without making sense then that mechanical gap doesn't exist in the first place. If there is no such thing as magical healing in a setting and the game is otherwise designed around "if you get hurt you might bleed the fuck out or be crippled", then obviously a magical / (Ex.) healer doesn't make much sense, even if it's a "classic role" in most games. Mechanical gaps only exist in the context of a system setting; if you try to make a Song of Swords realistic fightan man or an Eien Shinken *blows up twelve universes by unsheathing sword* character in Pathfinder, that might be a "mechanical gap" but it's not one that matters.

>where making the playstyle unique
4e was a game that played like a 4x game or an MMO in battle. If you make the playstyle unique you best be able to tell me why it can do the things you can or at least make it easily explained through house fluff, not handwave nonsensical abilities in favor of "good gameplay"; as an RPG, if I can't be immersed in what my character is doing, it's already become bad gameplay because I can't imagine the "role" I'm fulfilling.

You do realize in trying to take this to hyperbole right? Not that I'm actually writing a fluff-less class?

>4e was a game that played like a 4x game or an MMO in battle.
I hate this stupid fucking meme. It couldn't be further from the truth, yet all the retarded grognards like you drone about it constantly.

I'm just telling you what I think. If you have a class feature, it should make thematic sense, or at least be justifiable. Sure, the dedicated huge strong guy class can have an ability to hurl a spear massive distances, because spear-throwing is a way to show off strength. But if he's healing shit all of a sudden and tossing polar rays, that's a little harder to explain, although I could see a high-level thing where you can punch the air and have an explosion thirty feet away from the pressure wave. Before you ask, I'm not a huge fan of casters doing everything either, although you can sort of see it with them as "well I studied ALL magic" just like a fighter might've studied all types of traditional combat (he's just shit anyway).
The idea is that there's got to be some sort of justification, not just filling out the blanks in your dedicated balance list - after all, there's absolutely nothing stopping a Barbarian from ditching her axe and picking up a bow or a Paladin reading off loads and loads of scrolls, or otherwise unorthodox builds, and you will never achieve perfect balance because of this.

>meme
4e is much more tactical than 3e, 3.5e, or 5e. It's not meant as an insult, it's meant as a statement of fact.

Tactical doesn't mean MMO or 4x.
4e doesn't have any of the defining mechanics of the MMO genre. No aggro tables, no cooldowns, nothing like that.

Nicely done, Storyfriend. Maybe something about forbidden love and Jericho next?

So I asked last time and didn't get an answer. What's the name of Tuvarkz's game again?

Nodachi of the Righteous?
Ladyknights of the Righteous?
Spaghetti of the Righteous?
Impersonators of the Righteous?

Do you think Tuv likes meidos? Can I be a maid ladyknight with a nodachi?

Didn't Tuvs bamboozle his own Hell's Rebels game?

VOTE NOW OR BE FORGOTTEN BY HISTORY
strawpoll.me/13229240

"Spicy NTR: The princess steals Jericho from the King" technically is on the list.
We'll see what comes next.

I personally dubbed it "Wrath of the (possibly) Righteous" in my archives.

Do you think Tuv would ERP with my cute Ladyknight if I apped to his game?

So a swordsman being so flashy that he inspires those around him to be better at sword fighting would be on the table for you?

A healer able to channel and let all of her allies reroll their saves against ongoing effects?

What about a gish able to copy spells back like he's using a sharingan?

summarize each character more than just their class and race

All of those are fine as long as they're thematic. If the class is about being flashy then most of his moves should be able being flashy or awe-inspiring; a healer who's about retconning effects after they take place shouldn't be able to heal normally as well as others; and so on. Just have a theme.

Yeah, /pgg/as can't be trusted to vote based on name and race alone, and they can't be trusted to read all the apps either. They're fucking stupid.

Why would I, or anyone, give a shit?

Oooh, that sounds nice! A heated, royal love triangle.

It had just entered pg. 7 when I wrote that. Three hours later, the thread was on pg. 10. Stop spamming shit for no reason. A good thread died for this.

This thread was created 90 minutes before your message, m80. I created it on page 7. Your whining was when it was on page 9.

Actually closer to 4 hours later, the thread is still alive. There's really no reason to create a new thread, but prestige and posturing runs deep in /pfg/ so I guess someone would be butthurt if they're not the ones to create the next thread.

What are Tuvvy's favorite hairstyles for Ladyknights?

What are the best classes and archetypes for playing the "little magician girl in a purple-ish gothic lolita dress, with a doll" character type?

3pp optional.

Grave Walker Witch.

Literally any spellcaster.

Any news about Adventurer's Armory 2?

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/79068/journey-to-the-west (Closing in 5 days)
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/77814/ensoulment-of-the-flower-court (Closing in 1 Week)
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/77201/essentia-forgotten-home (Closing in 2 Weeks)
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/80257/wrath-of-the-righteous (Closing in 3 Weeks)

Summoner

Undercut, the only proper hairstyle for ladyknights.

app.roll20.net/forum/post/5126499/round-2-dot-dot-dot-3 (Closing when Nut Milk delivered)

>app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/79068/journey-to-the-west (Closing in 5 days)
Is it really that soon? When are we gonna get actual reviewanons for this game?

How much do you optimize?

THE LIST IS GROWING SMALLER EVERY DAY, BROTHERS.

SOON WE SHALL BE FREE OF THE TAINT.

I optimize exactly as much as I need to within the confines of whatever concept I have in mind.

>THE LIST IS GROWING SMALLER EVERY DAY, BROTHERS.
>
>SOON WE SHALL BE FREE OF THE TAINT.
He doesn't even see Dragons 3 coming.

Summoner. The doll is your eidolon. Cqn't really think of a specific archetype.

Dragons 3 is never going to happen, what would it even be about?

Taking Rorys knot on the regular

>what would it even be about?
A very long, very public application process that ends with SE just picking a party of his SotJR friends (none of whom actually applied).

Wait, really? THAT'S the goal hair? I'm a little disappointed. None of my cute art has undercuts...
Do you have any undercut ladyknights? I'd like to at least see some examples, because I don't think I've seen any good ones before.

Character first, optimization second, and even then, it's usually just to see if a concept works. Pathfindee does surprisingly poorly in some regards. Always wqnted to make an gauntlet-using pugilist, but it's Unarmed Monk or bust, if you want "unarmed" combat.

Guys, PathfinderWiki is fast now! It's fast now!

Terrible. Those are carried by the face and outfit elements, not the SJW superdyke haircut.

I can't see a GM caring about this. It's a trivial refluff.

Hmm...I'm not really convinced. Braids and buns are both way cuter than this.

>Braids

Mah nigga, it also gives the girl (or a guy) something to tug and play with.

How can other classes gain access to the Ranger spell list?

dropdeadstudios.com/forum/#/20170618/end-of-the-playtest-5433830/

Is Spheres of Might more kill than ever before?

Have we lost faith in Jolly?

Reminder for you lazy anons to read the latest and hottest gossip around the Flower Court!
EP1: Mouse and Vandread pastebin.com/1CSgeLAT
EP2: Ichabod gambles for his freedom pastebin.com/SYcfHh6L

Taking ideas for EP3! Where is Wild Surge? I don't want to be creative alone!

>Taking ideas for EP3!

Derrin and Alexander suffer a case of mistaken gender identity, and upon taking off their clothes of a night of passion realize, too late, that the parts their partners have aren't the parts they wanted.

Cue awkward mumbling and sleeping on opposite sides of the bed.

Do we really have to have a god damn pageant and circus surrounding every game with a popular GM and/or applicants?

Yes, welcome to Hell.

Considering Ensoulment seems to have been designed to be a pageant and circus campaign? Clearly.

Bread and circus, user. For those who do not get the bread, there must be extra circus.
Added to the idea list!

>Derrin and Alexander suffer a case of mistaken gender identity, and upon taking off their clothes of a night of passion realize, too late, that the parts their partners have aren't the parts they wanted.
I get Alex thinking Derrin is a dude, but how in the nine hells is Derrin mistaking the bearded farmboy for a lady?

What is best grappler class? For the purposes of the question, assume PoW and PoW: E is allowed.

She thought she was actually hitting on the Empress.

Maybe he shaved and a series of amusing incidents in the bar cause him to have a high-pitched, girlish voice?

>Is Spheres of Might more kill than ever before?
SoM could not be more kill, it was DoA.

>Have we lost faith in Jolly?
Not even Jolly could save this product from the clutches of Ssalarn. Still it's disheartening to see our heroes of 3pp defeated like this.

How much of it is Ssalarn and how much of it is Adam Meyers, who's just as bad if not worse?

>stupid meme kobold is at the top of the polls

Why bother?

Why is Paizo so biased against certain classes?

Like Fighter seems to just be getting shit on at every turn, even lore warden got nerfed not too long ago. The advanced training options are lackluster and usually restricted in use. And there are literally no items made for them to benefit from specifically like most other classes.
Kineticists too, since no element has a full level 1-9 set of powers unique to it, and two of the elements are just incomplete and bad. What even is Void supposed to be? Why not just make Negative and Gravity their own elements and not try to stitch the two together, both have plenty of potential.
Rogue's been almost entirely replaced by Vigilante
Antipaladins have been forgotten it seems, and while paladins get things like LN archetypes antipaladins get to sit in the never allowed to play corner of the alignment chart.

Also totally unrelated, but would it be possible to make a magic item thats an always active antimagic field?

I made a thing

Ssalarn was certainly the most visible negative influence since he was in charge of dismissing feedback with his typical undeserved condescension.

What did he mean by this?

Jericho and Rodrick begin their hotblooded rivalry

The man working for the kingdom out of obligation, and the man working for the people out for arrogance.

Wontcha give chaos a chance?

It's the Reverse Cabal. They're shilling their friends. I think that whole game is Reverse Cabal or randos, actually.

>when Mouse gets chosen and your app doesn't

Why the fuck is it so blurry let me try again

Tarot autism

I just went down the list
Also, Mouse is weird because she's written as such a meme troubled character that she fit a ridiculous number of tarot cards, which are memes to begin with. You can see Vandread having the same thing going on. C3, Takashi, and Rae aren't really like that, they just have a lot of qualifiers. People like Witch or Derrin aren't barebones, they just don't match up to tarot well.

>Tarot autism
Any chance for an explanation of what any of this means for those of us who don't know what the fuck is going on?

I know, I know. I'm just depressed. You did good, user. You did good.

Explain how I'm supposed to make sense of this

>only one upright Emperor, Alexander
>IV - the Emperor
>Dependability, Father Figure, Security, Protection, Logic, Masculinity
Alex is the greatest of the daddies.

My response below raised a question I want to pose to the thread: If a player was playing, say, a bloodrager or building an Eldritch Knight, would ju allow said player to progress in unarmed combat as if they were a monk, obviously with the caveat that their abilities would be tied to that and that they'd eschew other free proficiencies and foci (unless taken as independent feats, obviously).

I can't see the harm in it, which is probably the reason monks are considered pretty bad; their entire deal is about treating their unarmed attacks as something everyone else satisfies with blunt objects.

What is a trivial refluff? I was never a fan of the idea of taking something like a greatsword and just calling it unarmed, especially if we take progression into account. And while many GM:s would probably allow you to progress like a monk just for asking and then just calling your unarmed attacks gauntlets, it makes it hard to theorize before you have a game and a GM to argue with.

Yeah, can you explain this?

>Witch
>not Death (Reversed)
you did goofed