MtG: Veeky Forums Plane Creation

boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/53006755/

A while back we attempted to create a 3 set block based around the idea of Veeky Forums becoming a plane in Magic the Gathering. The blocks are seperated as a timeline based off of early Veeky Forums to present, and famous Veeky Forums users as legendary crestures or planeswalkers.

Here are the base mechanics we decided to keep:

>Bait
>You may pay this creature's bait cost to change the target of a spell or ability that targets a creature to this creature.

>Meme
>Target ___ or a spell on the stack. That card and copies of it become Y.

>Spoiler
>You may play this card face down for (2), as a 2/2 vanilla creature. When it blocks or becomes blocked, or becomes the target of a spell or ability your opponents control, turn it

>Spoiler
You may play this card face down for (2), as a 2/2 vanilla creature. When it blocks or becomes blocked, or becomes the target of a spell or ability your opponents control, turn it over.

>Implying X
>You may cast this card for its Implying cost if your opponent has played a card this turn with the same CMC

>Digits
>You get Digit counters depending on specific conditions on each card, for example:
>This card gets Digits if you use mana of three different colors to cast it
>This card gets Digits if your opponent controls at least two other creatures

>Shitpost
>at X point, shitpost N (create N 1/1 colourless shitpost creature tokens)

There are more ideas and cards from that thread that are either promising or trash.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/597944-primer-set-skeletons,
strawpoll.me/13234551
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Frog tribal let's go.

>>Shitpost
>>at X point, shitpost N (create N 1/1 colourless shitpost creature tokens)
I don't really like this one, shitposting should be baiting for (You)s and we should introduce a (You) mechanic of some sort

(You)s are token artifacts that you can tap and crack to put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.

(You) artifacts should have some flavour and work alongside Bait for obvious (You)'s, or an enchantment that gives you (You)'s when an opponent cast certain spells.

Before actually getting to the card making we need to make the skeleton of the set.

To begin, let's start with the first set.
Let's place in it 4 mechanics and leave the rest for the next 2 sets.

So the first step will be choosing what mechanics to introduce and how do they work.

It could be:

Shitpost X: Whenever this card is targeted by a spell or an ability, create N (You) Artifact tokens.

A (You) artifact token is like said, tap and crack to place a +1/+1 on a creature you control.

Bait: Like OP said

Spoiler(recurrent): Like OP said

Implying X: Like OP said

And the colors would be:

Implying UBW
Bait URB
Shitpost GWR
Spoiler every color, like morph

This already seems great.

Then, in order to have a better view on how the cards will be, let's determine the archetypes for color pairs.

WU:
UB:
BR:
RG:
GW:
WR:
UG:
BW:
UR:
GB:

If there isn't a Wild ride card I'll be angry.

To determine what the archetypes will be, we also need to determine what the "lore" of this set is.

OP said that every set encapsulates a part of the story of Veeky Forums. So the first one could either be the past or the present(so we can return to the past a la tarkir)

So let's try with chronological order. That means we begin with the beginning of Veeky Forums and with all the stuff that was hip at the time.

Pedobear, desu, trolls, lolcats, rickrolling and all the other ancient memes of past times, along with manifestations of the boards and famous users.

Now we're ready to build the archetypes of ancient Veeky Forums, when pepe and wojak still weren't around. For example

WU: Classic Control
UB: Implying/Bait and other shenanigans
BR: Classic Rakdos-Like stuff
RG: Shitposting Trolls
GW: Token Swarm
WR: Boros-Like Stuff
UG: Tempo
BW: Stealing stuff
UR: Changing the gameplay itself
GB: Usual graveyard business

Alright, and now that we have a generic guideline we can get on the hot topic: card making.

Let's begin with the commons, as always.

Let's remember the red flag reminders suggested on mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/597944-primer-set-skeletons, since having a number of redflagged commons that exceed around 20% can potentially break gameplay.

And so we begin with the white color.

Said reminders are:
- Does it affect other permanents?
- 4 or more lines of rules text?
- need to be read twice?
- Card advantage
- Multiple card kill
- Do you create a loop?
- Needed in numbers?
- rules issues

Whether or not it's a 2 or 3 set block should hinge upon whether we do some Internet conflict that will feature tumblr and reddit and whatnot. If we intend to do just Veeky Forums, I'd suggest 2 sets as I'm not sure we'd have enough for a solid 3.

To keep things simple, perhaps we could have the first set be an inter-board conflict. With the goal for winning to achieve a spark and finally be able to escape Veeky Forums

Cool Idea!

The boards should be a set of legendary enchantments with an ETB effect and an ongoing effect.

Thanks to we now have a cool plot too, so we can add some neat flavor text.

Onwards with the white commons!

Let's make 18 of them, as in the template used by the site previously linked. And we begin with the creatures.

Creatures: White (total: 12)
1cmc:
2cmc
3cmc:
4cmc:
5cmc:
6cmc

With this we need to set not only the number of creatures but also their size(small, medium or large).

Let's suppose this

1cmc : 2 : small, small
2cmc : 3 : small, small, small
3cmc : 4 : small, small, small ,medium
4cmc : 2 : medium, medium
5cmc : 1 : medium
6cmc : 0 :

Let's have a look at our first hypotetical card. It could be used as a color cycle, the Plebian one, which is composed of 1/1 with shitpost 1 and an ever green ability typical of that color.

Better text format, typo corrected and different ability.

>NORMIES GET OUT!!!!!!
>instant
>All frog creatures get first strike, deathtouch, and +2/+0 until end of turn.
>if played on your turn, frog creatures gain an additional +2/+0 and produce three Digits
I don't know what the mana cost should be. I've got other ideas for frog tribal and other spells, if you like plz no bully

Good idea, it will be nice for the more recent set.

Good idea, but I feel like Normies Get Out is an exile against 2cmc creatures while what you posted is full REEEEEE, if that makes any sense.

An obvious reference to /r/.

>Implying X
Hey, funnily enough I came up with the exact same mechanic for a personal set.

Awesome to hear, I'll try to get an idea out for an older meme
It strangely does, since the REEEEEE could be a keyword for supertrample.
Heh. Nice numbers anons.

These guys should be W commons for the first set of early Veeky Forums. I guess they could be considered U or WU as well if they're a hacktivist.

Spoon Feed - WW
Sorcery
Search target opponents library for a card of their choice and put it in thier hand. Shuffle their library.

Hug decks are fun, but there should be some payoff for yourself, like
>Search target player's library for a non-land card of their choice. Shuffle their library.
But
>Add the chosen card's CMC to your mana pool
Or
>Search your library for a card of the same CMC/Rarity

>Death of Veeky Forums
>WWUUBBRRGG
>sorcery
>Shuffle your graveyard and hand into your library, scry 7, draw seven cards, and do seven damage to each opponent
>Put Death of Veeky Forums on the bottom of your library
>No matter what newfags say, Veeky Forums can never die.

>You lose the game at the end of your next end phase.

Upload the set symbol sumbitch

A terrible trade off to a I think powerful card.

Shit, I forgot to type I like it. I'm reatrd, leave me alone.

A reference to janitors full of zeal

Hate to jump the gun and skipping W commons, but what would Quwen Boxxybabee's colors be? A fun, lolrandom (passion) R?

Yes, red fits her well

The man, the legend, the timeless, user.
Gonna post suggestions with square symbol, in card form just to make it neater.

Perfect except for one thing: White doesn't fit an user really well in terms of flavor. He does things because "lol", so I think he should be a 1/1 hastered like raging goblin

user is intended to represent the overall neutral user, not the rabid hatred of pol nor the self-righteousness of hacktivists, just the average user.

Explain the Meme keyword better. What do you mean by target becomes Y? is it like painter's servant or something else?

I understand but still the average user doesn't come here because "he thinks he's right", he comes to have fun, thus red.

At least, that's my opinion

>Cry of Order/MOOOOOODS!
>4WW
>Enchantment Uncommon
>Put two 2/2 human knight tokens onto the field
>Whenever an opponent shitposts or plays two or more creature tokens on their turn, put two 2/2 human knight tokens onto the battlefield.

Perfect

This needs to be worded better, Shitpost as I see it would work like Investigate in that it puts down a token when called.
When Self-righteous Plebeian enters the battlefield, shitpost 1
Lifelink
for example.

fixed

W: /r/, /int/
U: Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums
B: Veeky Forums
R: /b/, /i/
G: /an/, /trv/

GWB: Veeky Forums
RUG: Veeky Forums
BR: /d/, /h/, etc.
UB: /x/
WBR: /pol/
WG: Veeky Forums
UR: /co/
WU: /adv/
BUG: /k/

Not white, sorry guys.
>DSFARGEG
>3RRR
>Instant
>Ban target player from the game for two turns
>Your banned for one turn after target player comes back into the game
>(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Personally, I thought all beings inside the plane of Veeky Forums, or at least in certain walls, you're user until your reject it, thus becoming a namefag and revealing your identity. I think there can be all types of user colors, but they would have to be restricted to a few colors. Throwing out possible examples.

>W newfags
>U lurkers
>B trolls
>R shitposters
>G ???

G would be oldfags

nice idea

We're operating over the assumption that we're gonna divide by eras, so there wouldn't be any oldfags in classical era Veeky Forums.

The classic example of an user who feels insulted by those who do not share his beliefs.

>G ???
>user is already green

Fuck I'm dumb. G anons are the normal anons familiar to Veeky Forums, in between all of the assholes and newfags.

Forgot the implying cost

I personally don't see the need to divide by era, as I'm sure having new and old coexisting would make it easier to fill out a set of over 200 cards without having to start grasping for straws at some point.

Maybe we rushed a bit too much in this. We should do something like a strawpoll so we can decide on the lore and the abilities.

Not sure about how your making these, but how about a king of GETs card?
Maybe an enchantment that makes you win when you have 5 digits counters
maybe it steals others digit counters?
Just throwing ideas out

No no, not like that, like this.
Also these cards are really damn powerful. A 1 drop with insane value like this would be at least an uncommon. Shitpost is a strong keyword with low CMC cards, even a 1 CMC card with Shitpost 1 is already a really good common, adding another keyword ontop of that makes it too strong for a common.
You need to elaborate on how exactly Implying is gonna be formatted, because this card has some really weird shit going for it. What's that 2 for? If the CMC to cast it for its Implying cost the same CMC as the card, the 2 is redundant. Also, to separate that you use a long dash — not a colon.
I agree with this. Make a strawpol to decide that.

You have Implying wrong. Its supposed let you cast that card from your hand for its Implying cost if an opponent played a card in the same turn if it has the same CMC of your Implying cost.

So this card should keep an Implying 2 cost but change it's CMC to 3. Its to have more value when your opponent summons cards with the same mana costs if your Implying cards. The good thing I like about this is that it's not just restricted to creatures. I hope to see more use of it.

I've got a white idea.
>The Bob Ross Sticky
>6WW
>Enchantment
>When someone shit posts, flip three coins. For every coin flip you win, target player is banned for one turn
>“There are no mistakes, only happy accidents."

Alright then.

First of all the strawpoll for the sets. The options are:

3 sets of generic "Life on the plane Veeky Forums" based on content on chronological order
2 sets of generic "Life on the plane Veeky Forums" based on content on chronological order
2 sets with some plot, with the first one about people fighting on the plane to get the spark and the second one about seeing that the challenge/ritual/etc was only a trick to make the other planes of tumblr/reddit etc crash on it and start an interplanar war like for Alara or some other generic fluff

I think the keywords ought to have a re-writing to straighten things out by someone familiar with MTG, as I can tell kind user is a bit wonky on the fine tuning.
I'm going to make a poll on the formatting soon so we can decide right away.

Does this work? Don't know how to do the 4 chan set logo

Strawpoll about the size and type of the set is ready. Next we do the one to set in stone the abilities.

strawpoll.me/13234551

How about have a tribe for each color?

W: Nazi subtype (have a bunch of hate cards against black creatures)
U: Don't know lol
B: Skeletons
R: Kolbods
G: frogs

You're not talking about re-writing Implying completely, are you?

I was the one who thought of it in the first thread.

No, I'm talking about taking the original intent of the keyword and writing it with valid MTG syntax to fully eliminate confusion.

I for one have no idea what shitpost means
but then again I once did a draft where I pulled a banding card and asked what it meant and everyone just groaned and refused to maybe I just suck at understanding rules

Read through the thread in OP. We've already decided that the plot should take place of Moot creating Veeky Forums as a planswalker in the first block then Hiro entering the Veeky Forums we have now as a planeswalker.

I need more time to dig through that thread to not waste what material we already thought of.

Could I get some feedback here?

Looking though, I forgot we replaced Meme due to the first one being so convoluted.

>Keyword: Meme
>When a card with meme comes into play, any player that did not cast the spell may cast it for the meme cost. (This means if the other player activates the meme cost, the first player may activate it as well as infinitum so far as they have the mana)

>Flamewar: RR
>Sorcery
>Deal 1 damage to an opponent. Meme 1 >(Pay 1 colourless)

>Gondola: 1G
>Creature
>Meme 1
>1/2

Should boards be enchantments?

Boards are the color identities/guilds.

/pol/= white red?
Veeky Forums =blue red ?
/b/= red green ?
/d/= black red?

That's just Banding being Banding.
>Bait X (X:Change the target of target spell or ability that targets a creature to this creature)
Not sure what meme is supposed to do entirely.
>Spoiler X (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 2. Turn it face up any time for its spoiler cost.)
>Implying X (If an opponent cast a spell with the same converted mana cost as this card, you may play it this turn for its Implying cost as though it had flash)
Digits is an ability word, and each card would need to specify the counter type if it's counters and then DO something with them if they aren't +1/+1 counters. What's the planned payoff for the counters? Things like this should have some consistency - either in what they get in the end, or what triggers them, otherwise you end up with Chroma.
Technically shitpost doesn't need to be a keyword, you can just make the shitposts individually (investigate made wonky tokens, and fabricate did other things as well), but the wording's correct there.

Also, please remember that in a real magic set, everything but a small number of rares/mythics will have its full reminder text on the card - which affects the amount of text available for other abilities and for flavor text.

See here for Meme. My bad.

And your right about Digits, however someone from the previous thread suggested this:

>seems neat, similar to charge counters. would be neat if it worked with colour, digits counters based on shared colors of creatures you control

And an example of a Kek God card that wants same CMC's everywhere from the battlefield to the graveyard and in exile.

How will waifu wars be represented?

I don't know. Here's a bump though and another idea I don't know if you guys like what I've been putting down, but I might as well try to churn out more spells that could be used till someone tells me to stop
>Benis
>2G
>Instant
>Target creature get's +2/+2 and trample till end of turn
>If player is Finnish, target creature gets an additional +2/+2
>:DD

Im thread 1, someone tried to make a waifu mechanic:

>Waifu
>When a creature with waifu ETB select one other creature without waifu. Put a virginity counter on said creature.
>from here you can have effects like "so long as the v counter from this creature remains, it gains x"

And then there was discussion about Waifu Shrines:

>What about bringing back shrines as Waifu Shrine for each color but instead of doing something each turn, it only have a etb effect.
>Then, paying some cost, you can bring a legendary /a/ creature from outside of the game.
>Shrine of the Miko - 2W
>Enchantment - Waifu Shrine
>When ~ enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 Human Miko with Cute 1
>Pay 5WW, Sacrifice ~ : Search for a card called Kikyo, Vengeful Miko from outside of the game and put it on the battlefield.

Totally forgot about the Cute mechanic:
>Cute X (When this creature is dealt combat damage, prevent X damage.)

U should be Wizards. You remember the pudgy fingered fatty in divination? He should be the inspiration for the whole tribe for this set.

Are reprints allowed if it has flavor?

>not a Gaiafag anymore

How do you build a R Boxxy Legendary that's the opposite of all Gaea cards?

I would need to see some examples of Digits to see how best to word them.
As is, Meme doesn't work the way you want it - it can either work for permanents or work for sorceries/instants but not both at once, due to the rules of magic itself (a copy of a permanent spell would cease to exist once it leaves the stack, and sorceries/instants don't enter the battlefield).
I'd suggest going for a sorcery/instant version, personally - you can always make tokens with those if need be. Though, if you want enchantments/artifacts, you need to cut the instants/sorceries.
>Meme X (When this spell is cast, any player other than the controller may pay X. If they do, that player casts a copy of this spell and may select new targets for it.)
OR
>Meme X (When this permanent enters the battlefield, any player other than its controller may pay X. If they do, they may put a token copy of it onto the battlefield under their control.)

The repeated copying doesn't need to be specified directly, since the new copies have that ability now.

did I do good sempai?

I see what you mean now and I like it. Meme makes more sense now. But standing by the idea of the user who created it, we would have to find a mechanic for players to continuously haggle the spell from each other.

Buuuut the more I write this out, the more it sounds like a single card to huge for a mechanic. Maybe even cycle legendary spells for each color?

>Player 1 is the controller and plays a card with Meme
>Player 2 can pay that card's Meme cost but suffers a problem of mana spent and other drawbacks depending on the card (pay X life, discard X cards, etc.)
>Whoever pays the Meme cost is now the new controller, which is Player 2
>Player 1 can now pay the Meme cost since they are no longer the controller

As a further note - if there's one or two important cards for an ability word that don't work with whatever is decided is the trigger or the payoff, they can still work without the ability word but be part of it (see Emrakul, the Promised End and Delirium)

I understand what's happening in this card, but resolving the stack is confusing phrasing for players to wrap their heads around like me pls no bully.

Can't it just end the opponent's turn and prevent the opponent from using the card types he tried to play that turn?

That's how it would work if worded either way - I made sure to keep that.
There is one big difference between the two, and that's that the spell version will have whoever pays the cost last get their thing to go off first, while the ETB version will have any other ETB triggers on the cards happen before further copies are made. No real way around that, since both triggers would go off at the same time and any sane player would stack them in the best order for them.

it just seems to cruel and OP if it just undoes everything you've done.
I was trying to word it so everything you've already played and all the stuff you already resolved goes off, but then your done.
But I dont get the stack either so if someone better at wording wants to edit feel free.
Get it though? Black/Blue?

Outright ending the turn costs the same and is less specific.

Well that works. Brilliant
I have made a card.

>no flavor text

Flavor text:

ZA WARUDO- TOKI WO TOMARE

better?