punch the gm

The horse archers cannot shoot if the gm can't roll dice

>forest ambush
>retreat to a narrow pass
>invent gunpowder

>Die
or
>Surrender

And probably curse the gm, for breaking all our ranged weapons.

Roll to seduce!

Rolled 18 (1d20)

Whip a rock at them.

1. Their accuracy will be shit shooting FROM a bumpy moving horse, AT another moving object
2. They will run out of arrows eventually
Therefore use cover or an object as a shield until they run out.

Play a monk, run them down.

Find cover. Call them cunts from the cover.

1.) Wrong.

2.) 'Let an enemy shoot me until he has no ammo' is not a strategy.

Better hope you have cover or heavy armor and a shield.

>Therefore use cover or an object as a shield until they run out.

Mules arrive to resupply the aggressors.

Have you not heard of Mongolian horse archers?

Build a wall

I know lots of people think OP's scenario is unrealistic, but there are lots of people in the Paizo thread who will do just this. When discussing Starfinder, a sci-fi RPG, and the recent article they put out about the guns, we failed to convince someone to pack even a basic pistol.

Then we got into a conversation about people only bringing Axes on a Traveller character.

WTF? Mules just appear out of nowhere and resupply them? Fuck your game Steve. I'm tired of your shit.

>Your party has no ranged weapons
>Your party has no magic users

What the fuck happened during session 0?

You got robbed by mongolians.

There are people who don't understand.

They just, DO NOT understand that you should bring a ranges option along.

Throw down weapons and surrender

Turns into sidequest where the party has to join the tribe by completing various challenges where they have to work together.
Magical bows and sturdy steeds are the loot
Also gives a +4 bonus to riding and proficiency

>>Your party has no ranged weapons
>>Your party has no magic users
I blame myself for not providing at least one of these.

Well, more the lack of magic I guess. Since my group refuses to play anything but 3.PF, I'm skeptical that we don't have a single Wizard of Cleric to trivialize things.

Too bad, I fall prone and hide.

Towershields, Caltrops, Smokesticks, and Poison.

Block arrows until they run out or fling rocks with an ad hoc sling.

>Your party has no ranged weapons
>Your party has no magic users
I give up, so I can roll a new character that meets what the party needs.

>>invent gunpowder
harder than it looks, you need some shitty mineral no one knows where it is

>invent gunpowder
Guncotton

Curse the horse lords and their superiority in what I'm guess they have terrain advantage, while at the same time calling my paladin steed to make chase to these cowards and dispense justice in the form of maiming all but one so I can hang him from the neck until dead in front of his wounded comrades, whos maimed wounds I shall heal so they may sally forth and spread word of what happens to Chad's who nah face a warrior of chivalry in fair combat

Run into the woods down a narrow road and hope to god the halfling finished setting up that razorwire trap.

Die and make a party with magic users and ranged support

who makes a party full of fighters

Dig a hole.

This is why they have Parry Missile Weapons and the power to stop time just long enough to run really fucking fast

Run like hell under smoke from a smokestick that I have.
Retreat into a cavern complex to plan an ambush or wait things out.
Attack at midnight when the horses and riders are sleeping.

Next encounter will be how do you stop a german barbarian ambush from raping you with their first volley of javelins.

>Now one of the Huns who was fighting before the others was making more trouble for the Romans than all the rest. And some rustic made a good shot and hit him on the right knee with a sling, and he immediately fell headlong from his horse to the ground, which thing heartened the Romans still more. -Procopius

Pick up some rocks and start slinging.

Pic related.

Wait until they run out of arrows or get bored.

Does not work though in real life.
Apparently archers are better shots in reality than in films as mooks.

go into the forest right behind me

>2.) 'Let an enemy shoot me until he has no ammo' is not a strategy.
It is when you've got barbarian levels of meat points.

Depends on how big your shields are and how well armored you are.

Arrows are meant to penetrate both shield and armor.
Hence why they are piercing.

>Does not work though in real life.

Then why was it widely used then?

>Then why was it widely used then?

As stated by historians, it is not outside of sieges?

Sieges are the only times archers would be a problem.

By zues look at those exposed ankles

GM is an idiot. Horseback archery was more or less just outside of spear chuck range to just comfortably outside of spear stab range.

It's not long range shooting at all.

No, sieges are when rocks would be a problem.
Well-made arrows pierce though and lodged into the flesh.

The issue is rocks are fucking cheap and anyone can hurl one without training hence they are a problem during sieges.

The formation still won't last against an archer barrage hence why they only used them during the final stages of a siege after the all the arrows are spent on auxiliaries.

>Arrows are meant to penetrate both shield and armor.

I have a feeling no one in this thread knows what they're talking about

>he thinks the quality of the arrow matters more than the quality of the bow
Also rocks are shit, shields aren't used to block rocks dumbass

Your thinking if longbows buddy and even then at the range to do both a sword is more practical

You are truly retarded.

What kind of shitty sci-fi rpg doesn't give players a gun by default?

You sure won the argumetn

I know how to dig holes.

Useless until your metallurgy is really good and you can fabricate stuff with precision in the tenth of a milimeter reliably.
That everybody else couldn't produce metal for barrels and locks that can contain the pressure of smokeless powder was the main reason why Yrop owned most of the world for about a hundred and fifty years.

kek

I'm trying to remember the show, but in in it guys were running around in plate, and getting janked by short bows. It was seriously retarded. Like heavy armor existed solely to look cool, like storm trooper armor.

>longbows
Bud, Longbows alone won't do the trick, because the Welsh sure didn't rule the seas.

It's english voodou that made wooden sticks lauch two hundred arows per minute and made them penetrate knight's armour so hard that their social class died out and the middle ages ended.

Are you fucking retarded? China has been used gunpowder and cannons for a millennia before Europe ever discovered gunpowder

Naw. Metalurgy isn't as important as you think, it just makes the cannons light enough to move rapidly.

You can make a cannon out of wood, depending on how expendable you think your artillerymen are.

The rock hits one of the horses in the head, causing it to stumble and fall into the path of the two others.
All horses and 2 Archers are dead.
One is heavily injured. You see that its a young female elf.
wat do?

I fire my grappling hook at their horse and pull the two of us together so i can hit them with my crazy weapon.

Rolled 7, 4, 8, 8 = 27 (4d10)

Grab a rock and throw it at her.
I have 4 dice (5 from Aim + 4 from Throwing Proficiency - 3 from Long Range - 2 from her moving away from me) at ATN7 and deliver level wound 1 (ST6 - TOU4 - AV1) on hit plus any bonus successes from a good throw.

Rolled 5, 6 = 11 (2d6)

That's a bloody good throw right here. Let's see where it hit here.

Rolled 1 (1d6)

I kill them with a thought since I'm a high-level psionic.

Rock hits the girl right on her left knee, shattering it. She falls from her horse stunned by the sudden pain, unable to control the animal with only one leg.

Don't fuck with us, you dirty nomads.

(Boom, Headshot!)
Your projectile careens right into her temple. It's not a lethal blow, but her jerked response from the impact and pain causes her to roll off the right side of her mount-or at least not entirely. Her ankle remained in its stirrup while the archer's horse still galloped along, not ceasing its momentum. The very angle of her quasi-dismount twists and wrenches her angle, making for a difficult and painful ride ahead of her.

first time trying to write something this, pls no bully

Das Boot In Space, I'd assume. What with not wanting a player's shot to overpenetrate through the hull and kill everyone aboard.

Guncotton/smokeless powder is a whole lot fucking more powerful than blackpowder, bubs. When the french upgraded their rifles to smokeless, everybody basically shat their pants because their blackpowder guns didn't have the reach to lay effective fire on the French.

How do we steal it?

Not bad at all

Start over with a party that isn't total shit.

Plutarch lays it down for us:

> And when Crassus ordered his light-armed troops to make a charge, they did not advance far, but encountering a multitude of arrows, abandoned their undertaking and ran back for shelter among the men-at‑arms, among whom they caused the beginning of disorder and fear, for these now saw the velocity and force of the arrows, which fractured armour, and tore their way through every covering alike, whether hard or soft.

Veeky Forums replies:

>They will run out of arrows eventually
>WTF? Mules just appear out of nowhere and resupply them? Fuck your game Steve. I'm tired of your shit.
>Wait until they run out of arrows or get bored.

Plutarch explains:

>Now as long as they had hopes that the enemy would exhaust their missiles and desist from battle or fight at close quarters, the Romans held p391out; but when they perceived that many camels laden with arrows were at hand, from which the Parthians who first encircled them took a fresh supply, then Crassus, seeing no end to this, began to lose heart

Based Plutarch

I have my character throw each of the other party members at the horse archers the best I can. That way they can knock off the archers and hijack their horses so we can make our escape.

> muh testudo
Roman writers continually pointed out how a heavy arrow shower would beat a shield wall.

> And so they crowded into a narrow compass and were shot, and died no easy nor even speedy death. For, in the agonies of convulsive pain, and writhing about the arrows, they would break them off in their wounds, and then in trying to pull out by force the barbed heads which had pierced their veins and sinews, they tore and disfigured themselves the more.

> And when Publius urged them to charge the enemy's mail-clad horsemen, they showed him that their hands were riveted to their shields and their feet nailed through and through to the ground, so that they were helpless either for flight or for self-defence.

Kill the wounded, sell the horses and any valuables the riders had in the next town. Possibly hold hands with the elf against her will.

So, if they weren't in cover and were constantly being arrowed, how did they survive? I thought arrows pierced everything, even bones

>contain the pressure of smokeless powder
you realize you can just use a smaller load right?

Plutarch also talks about divine events like they actually happened, and continually gets the dates wrong for shit.

Crassus was a fuckwit though.
>yes, I am trustworthy native guide, let me lead your army away from water and into the deep desert
>sounds legit, lead on

>Armchair generals on suicide watch
There's a reason these things actually worked and weren't overcome by sweaty nerds eating pizza rolls.

Huh? I thought he also wrote about Parthians switching between shooting at the Romans and charging with heavy cavalry. So when Romans stayed in close formation they were easy target for archers and when they dispersed to avoid missiles they were vulnerable to heavy cavalry.

They didn't. Crassus was captured and killed by pouring molten gold in his throat according to legend.

I hate this meme, the hull should be strong enough to resist small arms designed to kill people.

He's just so fun to read, and teaches you how to be a man. It's Veeky Forums meets Veeky Forums meets Veeky Forums.

Yes, I hope you enjoy blowing up after one of you twats gets a nice little spark or static. The stable stuff wasn't made till the 1930s.

Tactical advance on the mules.

>>Horseback archers start shooting at your party
>>Your party has no ranged weapons
>>Your party has no magic users
>>You try to close the gap, but the archers keep shooting at you while receding

>Party is all monks who catch and throw back the arrows.
>Horse archers get shot with their own arrows.
>Meanwhile the monks use both their action and bonus action to catch up to them with their inhuman speed.

Those Horse-Archers are so fucked.

Be still my puritan heart.

Why would I be in a party without ranged or magic users?

Her face looks like one of those shitty spongebob popsicles.

/thread

Mount up and chase them down. Their tiny horses can't sprint anywhere near as fast as a proper charger.

>make a 100% smashy and 100% of the time melee fighter
>GM gives me a magical greathammer that I can throw at a range of 40 feet

gm is good

Well, he wasn't wrong about you being retarded

*hides into forest*
Your move mister cavalryman.

this is either shit bait or you re retarded user

*sets woods on fire*
Your move Mr horse archer.