/osr/ - The Old School Renaissance

Welcome to Old School Renaissance General!

>Links:
Trove: pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
OSR Discord: discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Old Thread:
>Thread Question:
Do you have a favorite OSR zine?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/dreamscapedesign/blueholmetm-journeymanne-rules
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-ranger-and-wandering-monster.html
falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2013/08/cave-giants.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-death-taxes-and-death-taxes.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-table-of-camp-followers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Do you have a favorite OSR zine?
I read and enjoy plenty of them, but Knockspell is a cut above the rest.

Fight On!, although someone posted a table a few threads back that led me to some guy's blog and he had a whole bunch of zines that were solid.

I really can't offer more information than that since I didn't bookmark it, but I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. They were all a bit artsy and full of tables.

Never found zines that had the stuff I was after, but blogs got plenty of it.

It's lawful to slit your mother's throat if your mother is chaotic.
(or even neutral, if you subscribe to Arneson's school of thought)
It's chaotic to slit your mother's throat if you have something to gain from it.
It's neutral if you have nothing to gain from it.

Regardless, slitting your mother's throat is a faux pas.

So are you waiting for the release of an especial OSR?

I was thinking of paring down casters to two levels of spells that can summed up as "affects one guy or a few guys" and "affects a few or a lot of guys" depending on severity of effect, of mostly simple, fairly direct effects (damaging, cursing, charming, protecting, whatever), and having fighters with a set of stances meant to function as mechanical trade-offs, and maneuvers meant to scale as they level up (there would only be a single level, and they wouldn't all be attacks, but might also include things like extraordinary mobility or great feats). I can't really decide what to do with thieves though.

Hey, folks? I was wondering if you guys could help me out? I'm trying to track down the names and crunch for all the races that were available in Basic D&D, but I literally know nothing about it. Can you help a fellow out? I want to fix up the list of D&D races article on 1d4chan.

Some other user elsewhere on the net gave me this list, but I need to know if there's more.

Hollow World: Warrior-Elf, Shaman, Wokani, Beastman, Brute-Man, Hutaakan, Krugel Orc, Malpheggi Lizard Man

GAZ10 Orcs of Thar: Kobold, Goblin, Orc, Hobgoblin, Gnoll, Bugbear, Ogre, Troll

PC1 Tall Tales of the Wee Folk: Brownie, Centaur, Dryad, Faun, Hsiao, Leprechaun, Pixie, Pooka, Sidhe, Sprite, Treant, Wood Imp, Woodrake

PC2 Top Ballista: Faenare, Skygnome, Gremlin, Harpy, Nagpa, Pegataur, Sphinx, Tabi

PC3 The Sea People: Aquatic Elf, Kna, Kopru, Merrow, Nixie, Sea Giant, Shark-kin, Triton

Hey guys, I haven't heard anything about Wolfpacks and Winter Snow for a while. Did Cavegirl abandon us for a blog, respectability and fewer spergs, and if so, has she released any of the supplementary material she was working on? I vaguely remember a module concept that sounded really cool, with ice sheets and ancient radioactive devices.

I can't be bothered to find the exact link (maybe some other user who has it on hand will help you) but the Vaults of Pandius has an exhaustive list of every class officially published for Basic and in what book/issue of Dragon. Your list certainly looks very much like that one.

Thanks. And if they could organise their fucking layout better, it'd be even more helpful. Still, appreciate it.

/osrg/ - scenario tiem.

One character of dubious alignment gets greedy, wants to sneak away from the party to make a bargain with an evil magical spirit that is trapped in the dungeon.

How do you fairly adjudicate this situation?

>determine whether character can sneak away
>determine how long until party notices him missing

What happened to the Veeky Forums zine? Why do people seem to hate it? It was decent.

Vacant Ritual Assembly.
I crave for the mood and tone done by the Red Moon Medicine Show couple (dark modern fantasy, a bit after the implied setting of LotFP). They just do cool stuff I really dig.

Pass notes.

Only one guy cared, and he was so desperate for content that he used every submission.
What with the first issue being terrible and all, he never got enough material for a second issue.
At some point he just stopped asking. I assume he doesn't even cone to the thread now.

Is Runequest OSR? I'm looking for a pdf of the second edition.

>I can't really decide what to do with thieves though.
Not sure if it's the kind of thing you're looking for, but here's this...

>the first issue being terrible
Stop meming this, it's not even accurate. The problem was that most of the prolific content creators got their own blogs instead, so there wasn't much left.

>Is Runequest OSR?
OSR is a rubric that's been applied specifically to D&D games, but someone here might know where to point you.

>Is Runequest OSR?
It is not. Occasionally there are "Old School Runequest" threads on Veeky Forums, but they invariably die after 20-30 posts because the fanbase is very small and they're not as dedicated to it, since it lacks its own particular play style and is just one system among many for new-school play.

Or this...

Thank you guys

I posted a question in the old thread without realizing that a new one was made.

That's a shame. The art and content were good, but it seems like there were only a few contributors. Why not reach out to prolific creators like Zak S. or James Raggi?

Also the first issue is nearly a year old. Fuck me.

Those guys have their own cliques and their own zines, and I don't think they like Veeky Forums much.

How come? Isn't this place right in line with zine/DIY culture?

S O O N

>Does anyone here have experience with playing OS or OSR D&D with kids, or have played when they were kids? Did you need to change anything in the rules to make the experience better?

When I was a kid, I played with kids my age and with younger kids. But that was a million years ago and I can't recall much with clarity. At least when I started out, I made all the rolls myself and didn't worry them too much with the rules. I'm not sure what age group you're talking about, but using a fairly streamlined system isn't a bad idea (B/X over AD&D). I do remember that I used to have to ask leading questions sometimes to get people pointed in the right direction (or just to keep them moving).

>Why not reach out to prolific creators like Zak S. or James Raggi?
What would be the point of that? There's no reason to make a Veeky Forums zine if it's not made by Veeky Forums.

Check the archive pdf in the PDF share thread () for a link to Runequest stuff. If you search the document for "runequest", the second result (Huge Tabletop Collection...) gives you a link that appears to have 2e core.

/osrg/ is pretty different from the google plus clique. We're anonymous and banter, they're public and pretty strict (in the "justify your statements" way).
I think a lot of them are afraid of Veeky Forums because they imagine it's full of harassers.

Hello /osr/. First time poster and juste learning about the osr thing.

I want to run a megadungeon and make it infinite but not lolrandom. Do you have a good system centered around dungeon delving ? Do you if this has already been done and where I can find ressources ?

what said, also Blueholme and Mutant Crawl Classics

Thanks for answering. Do you remember if you were strict with death and dying? I could imagine kids getting pretty peeved if their character dies.

>I'm not sure what age group you're talking about
Around 8-12.

what is Blueholme?

How do you handle the transition to domain-level play in your campaigns?

kickstarter.com/projects/dreamscapedesign/blueholmetm-journeymanne-rules

Just grab Stonehell or Barrowmaze.

>Around 8-12.
That's probably about the same range I was playing with when I first started out.

>Thanks for answering. Do you remember if you were strict with death and dying? I could imagine kids getting pretty peeved if their character dies.
I was a self-taught 4th grade DM with no previous play experience in the days before internet and computer RPGs, so to say I had no idea what I was doing was a bit of an understatement. I started with B/X and ended up just rolling dice and making up shit a lot. Dealing with the rules was solidly on my shoulders and being new to things, I found that trying to run things by the book made things grind to a halt (and I'v always had a thing for immersion, cinematics and keeping things rolling.

As far as death goes, I typically tried to contrive things in a way where folks wouldn't die (they're only knocked unconscious, or something like that). I would occasionally get frustrated when everybody was unimaginative and aimless though, and let the weight of fickle fate come crashing down on them, but that was more about pique on my part than any sort of sensible decision.

I will say, however, that playing Paranoia with that same group of people a few years later was just about perfect. In fact, my adult experiences with Paranoia have all been disappointing, because only kids that age seem to have the right attitude. They moan and groan when they get fragged, but bounce back enthusiastically to try to fuck their friends over in revenge. Adults seem to be a bit too zen about things. They expect to get screwed over and so take it in stride, which takes all the fun out of it.

I made a custom class that effects wandering monsters. Using ideas from Goblin Punch. goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-ranger-and-wandering-monster.html

Any sort of feedback mechanical, grammatical, or organizational would be helpful.

Veeky Forums is a toilet with some good threads among the shit that take forever to learn how to find and a culture that's plain fucked up. It's not a place you want to be associated with /directly/. On top of that,the blog crowd are a bunch of attention whores looking for headpats and succ. I watched one kickstarter darling get crucified here because they not only took all the bait, but also had never had anyone tear into their system without so many layers of verbal circumlocution that they couldn't take the hint or the entire clique ganging up and shutting down the one pointing it out.

The author of Into the Odd is a 5th Grade teacher.
IIRC, what you're asking about is why he wrote Maze Rats?

>Do you have a good system centered around dungeon delving ?
We only discuss one* system here, and it's a system specifically for dungeon delves.

>On top of that,the blog crowd are a bunch of attention whores looking for headpats and succ

Now I want headpats.

I'm just writing a blog post about it, but the answer is "at level 1, through taxes".

The author of Into the Odd is not the author of Maze Rats.

Pretty much. Veeky Forums is not big into collaboration, despite all the "gets shit done" threads. Veeky Forums is very good at producing ideas and going "eh, someone else will put in the hard work of finishing this off. I'm going to go produce more ideas!"

And that's fine and all. It makes for a good board. But Veeky Forums's rapid anonymous structure does not mesh well with collaborative efforts.

And yes, if you create content, blogs are the better way to do it. PDFing a bunch of blog posts and putting them together seems silly. It means you can't do hyperlinks and tabbed references without hopping back and forth between a PDF and a browser. Some zines are little artbooks too, which is nice, but most are pretty forgettable.

Headpats are gateway drug to heavy petting.

And that could lead to sex. And as we all know and greatly fear, sex could lead to dancing.

Right off the bat, it's not bad. But you're sticking to a very... conventional style. You're telling us the who, the what, the how big. But you're not helping me visualize this.

Compare your description to something like: falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2013/08/cave-giants.html

Compress and generalize. Your entire mechanical Restrictions section could be condensed into 1 very short table.

The bonuses to thrown stuff and smelling is fiddly. It might work in your game, but I'd probably forget about it in mine.

Move Silently has a copy/paste error from "Thief".

Overall though, it's not too bad. It just needs to be condensed and made more evocative. Give me a reason to want to play these guys. Let me get inside their heads.

Just for curiosity, why people tend to look for RQ 2e when there is mythras and other newer editions? does it really change a lot?

That way that font puts a black dot in the lowercase gs is ugly and distracting.

> How do you handle the transition to domain-level play in your campaigns?

Because I like you: coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-death-taxes-and-death-taxes.html

Tax your PCs. It's a good idea. It's a fun idea. And it's a very medieval idea. Find out how here.

>That way that font puts a black dot in the lowercase gs is ugly and distracting.
I have to agree

Somebody give me a title for my OD&D-esque writeup of how I play OSR that I eventually intend to print and bind layflat style.

"How I play OSR"

That'll look lame on the front of the book.

Editing Not Required
The Oxford Comma Is Western Imperialism
Summonings and Bindings
Badger, Todger, Banter, and Rodger
Swell Fellows

Most of My Opinions are Objectively OK

Staples Sold Separately

Judge's Guild 2, The Legend of Gary's Gold

Some Tables Required

People Always Talk About Hit Dice, But What About Miss Dice?

I Swear This Is Useful

I Should Have Blogged This

Oh Fuck, Another File

Thieves, Tools, Thieves Tools, and Tool Thieves

Origami Instructions On Back

This Space Intentionally Left Dank

To Print Armor Class Hero

Morale Checks and Balances

Arneson's Son Arnie is a Carnie

(Got one you like yet?)

The Ankheg Laws of OSR (The ALOOSR)

"That weezer song really saved role playing games"

If you make people in your game spend money to get XP, and even add in a rule that says they get bonus XP for spending it on frivolous shit, how likely is it for your players to embrace the rockstar lifestyle of an adventurer?

very likely

Last session, I told my players that 10% of any money spent on purely frivilous stuff counted as XP. Normally, any money looted counts, so this is a pure bonus.

They IMMEDIATELY demanded to know what counted, and started planning outfits, religious donations, and bear-baiting excursions.

Then this session I'm introducing taxes:I might be evil.

>Most of My Opinions are Objectively OK
GOAT
>Judge's Guild 2, The Legend of Gary's Gold
*Judges Guild 2: The Legend of Gary's Gold

The Campestri's Dirge

Degenerate inbreeding filth!

>Peasents owed their lord EVERYTHING THEY HAVE and had ZERO RIGHTS!

Is this a parody? Is this a joke? Literally not how it worked.

>Degenerate inbreeding filth!
I have no idea where the headpats gif is from. I just googled "headpats gif" and picked the cutest one available. So help me, the only anime I've watched in the past 2 years is Nichijou, and that's only because it's Monty Python's Flying Schoolgirls.

>Judges Guild 2: The Legend of Gary's Gold
Mea culpa

OreImo
Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute

Good on you for watching /a/ Seinfeld though.

>Is this a parody? Is this a joke? Literally not how it worked.
I'm putting all the rights into the Estates post, but... no, not really a joke? Before we go on I'd like to say that did study this so if you're going to throw down, feel free to bring it to an academic level. I'm always happy to see new sources and cool research.

Peasants had a lot of rights. They were protected by a lot of laws. But for practical, gamable RPG purposes... they are tricky to deal with in a meaningful way.

Plus, there's the difference between "rights" and "practical realities", and the practical reality is that if you're a) poor and b) in the 3rd estate, everyone fucks you over, especially in disordered times.

>My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute

The Japanese animes are a pit trap, user.

>the practical reality is that if you're a) poor and b) in the 3rd estate, everyone fucks you over, especially in disordered times.
I like the bit in Froissart where one of the Gascon adventurers points out that the local peasants loved him and his men because they bought livestock for food and paid well in good coin -- to them, a literal robber baron was a better master than their real lords.

>the local peasants loved him and his men because they bought livestock for food and paid well in good coin

Proving once and for all that the old saying "Fuck you, pay me" always applies.

What about using a non-feudal setting for OSR?

I know you can argue that you could just use the generic weird medieval capitalism that most settings have, but what about something just a bit weirder? Like in the style of India with palaces and rich merchants and shit but different feudal structures? Or palace economies? Or a medieval like society that runs off good ol' fashioned capitalism?

>What about using a non-feudal setting for OSR?
It's fun and easy to do, if that's your speed. Check out Yoon-Suin, Qelong, Arrows of Indra, Weird Adventures, HMS Apollyon.

(The last is a series of blog posts about a gargantuan ship, on the Dungeon of Signs blog. The rest are books.)

I'd rather make my own then copy from a book, but thanks anyway.

>Or a medieval like society that runs off good ol' fashioned capitalism?
It's tricky when all the capital is held by either the church or some asshole with a title and no one has any purchasing power.

Hey /osrg/, what special powers would a gymnomancer have?

Expose Harsh Truths
Protection from Normal Mobs
Grease

Their spellbook in their beard

I don't know, but I have their miscast table.

Curse gynomancy upon others.
They don't have to use it.

Well if the only complaints are cosmetic, then this is pretty good I suppose. Isn't generalizing something and making something evocative opposing ideas? Also I don't see any dot inside lowercase G's.

So besides the lame 'bonus to hit for different armor types', what interesting rules do you guys have for differentiating weapon types in combat?

Thanks, looks like an interesting way of introducing it. Although the tax rates seem... rather high. Even if they might be realistic.

Looking forward to the Estates post. I always like incorporating the Estates of the Realm.

Going off Diogenes, the main powers should be that as long as you own nothing and wear nothing your Charisma and Intelligence are raised to 18, and you can use the spells Anticharm and Avoid Consequences at will.

Possibly, also extremely good saves. As Dwarf?

>Diogenes
Wasn't he an autist?

Don't think of it as high taxes. Think of it as future investments in potential gain. You're basically paying bribes for upward social mobility. And yeah, the players are going to throw a fit, but in my games, it's not GP spent by GP stolen that counts, so there's no actual XP loss. So it goes. If they think it's unfair they can ditch the entire feudal system and live like bandit lords or mercenary leaders.

But one day, they'll think, we can tax people ourselves. And then we're going to be /rich.

> Isn't generalizing something and making something evocative opposing ideas?
I wouldn't say they are opposing. I think they can be on different axis.

Generalize the boring bits (i.e. height, weight, HD, that sort of thing. I don't give a hoot and if I needed to I could guess it). Then fill the space left over with evocative text.

You know, I see all your legit posts about medieval European stuff, about the first, second, and third estate and think it's all really cool for a historically accurate game.

But then I remember most of your rules and setting stuff is taken from goblin punch and you have a whole bunch of weird ass -ling races.

How in the fuck is that supposed to work? You're telling me it's all peasants and tithes and lords and castles but like half the people are man goats?

I'd just count taxes (and especially bribes) as "frivolous spending"

Just following the details found in Basic.

>How in the fuck is that supposed to work? You're telling me it's all peasants and tithes and lords and castles but like half the people are man goats?

That's correct. The king is a bird. He's a big annoying bird who ate too much and now has knobbly knees.

Plus, I try to write the general use medieval posts as -ling free as I can.

The whole point of the setting is that the veneer of goat-man weirdness disguises the weirdness of the medieval era. It's a red herring for the players. It also gives me an excuse to add in all sorts of regional variations. Nobody really gives a hoot about the 5 kinds of lower Dutch but they instantly "get" lizards vs birds or whatever. It's allegorical for the fragmentation of small communities. It's much easier to go "that guy from the other village is a weirdo" when he's a slug and you aren't.

58% of the people are furry, and only 10% are human.
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, any given village only has like 2 or 3 types of furry.

No, he BTFOd Plato and didn't afraid of anything.

It's called Basic for a reason. Do what you like though.

That might be a good idea. It'd encourage proper lawful behavior. Nice thinking user. I give you 3 free rolls on the Camp Followers table. coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-table-of-camp-followers.html

>58% of the people are furry, and only 10% are human.
I also correct the table to account for regional variation, but yes, correct, give or take. I'd argue the furry bit in light of but this is Veeky Forums and I'm not holding out hope.

Rolled 15, 93, 35 = 143 (3d100)

Do they pay taxes on the funds I misappropriate to them?

If they're smart, they do. But if they were smart they wouldn't be camp followers. At that point they're more or less outside the feudal system anyway. They'll need to pay taxes if they ever want to own, say, a house. Or land. Or a horse.

Spouse - drunk most of the time, surly while sober. Not particularly attached to you.
Cook - tries new ingredients. 2cp for a bowl of latest creation, 1-in-10 chance of being awful/delicious. Haggard.
Old Woman - knows which herbs cure common ailments. Demands liquor and better living conditions.

Huh. You've just rolled "my wife."

If I post a screenshot of , , on your blog, will she see it?

I'm surprisingly ok with this.

I'll give you a pass this time, my man.

She's looking over my shoulder and laughing. Not to worry user, she used to be on Veeky Forums in the good ol' days. Drew the first lolicron, as I hear it.

Good to hear.
I also included them because it gives the players some variety, and they'll be going through a /lot/ of characters.

>Drew the first lolicron, as I hear it.

just as I suspected
women are the best loli artists, after all