Hex grid vs square grid

I'm trying to figure out what would work best for a dungeon crawler miniature game, on the style of Dark Souls tbg or Kingdom Death Monster.

If you're using minis, go gridless and never look back.

this, tape measure and miniatures.

isometric squares.

Gridless>squares>>>hex

autism speaks

you're a fucking idiot. that's all i want to say. just declare you're a moron. have a terrible day.

If "you're [SIC] a fucking idiot." was all you wanted to say, why did your post continue after that?

I like isometric grids for looking at a dungeon quickly when they have some art thrown in but they are still basically a grid and for the sake of this thread the topic is what works well for a game that uses minis.

Good luck with that one.

Nice art!

Calm down autist

>[SIC]
You know you're meant to put that when you're quoting a mistake, right?

Yes. It should be "You're a fucking idiot".

Dungeons generally have square rooms, connected by square corridors. This may be a chicken/egg thing, with the original 1970s dungeons drawn on graph paper, but the only place I'd expect to find hex-cell dungeons is some kind of beehive.

tl-dr: go grid.

Isometric is pretty fun :)

I've started going grid-less and I have to say I think it is the best way to go.

For doing dark souls I think going grid-less would be your best bet because of the circular designs of the corridors.

Hex works for natural cave systems, but yes, most dungeons have a grid layout, so a grid is preferable.

Fuck anyone saying gridless, I want to get down and play, I don't want to deal with measurement shit every time someone moves.

OP here, thanks for the opinions.
Unfortunately gridless is not an option, since the game is meant to feature many AOE effects with 'odd' shapes that need a reference grid. It is meant to be a game without a GM, just 'players against the box'.

My main beef with square grid is that it makes diagonal movement 'weird', but I think I'm going to use that anyway.

Eh, hexes also aren't that great in that regard. Running right angle to a side will have similar sort of fucked-ness when compared to running in the direction of a bordering side.

You could use "squares shifted a half square" thing to get the benefit of hexes but fit better in dungeons.

>My main beef with square grid is that it makes diagonal movement 'weird'
People are overthinking and overxaggerating that vastly. The field, no matter of squares or hexes, is only an abstraction anyway and since everyone is bound by the same rules, it really doesn't matter if you technically move a little farther by going diagonal. It's irrelevant for playing.

Don't allow diagonal movement then for most and only allow it for special classes and monsters.

>My main beef with square grid is that it makes diagonal movement 'weird'
you can make diagonal movement count as a move and a half seeing how the hypotenuse of a 1x1 tile is ~1.41

Do not believe their foul lies!
My dear friend, the hex grid is your salvation,

BEHOLD! As the humble hexagon is master of Grids!

PARALLEL!
PERPENDICULAR!
and
DIAGONAL!

TREMBLE BEFORE THE POWAH OF THE HEX!

except when moving a single tile...dipshit

What?

3e does this, 1st diag step uses one move, next uses 2, then 1,2,1,2
A bit fiddly

Look at that bear!
He's like: "-Get your bitch ass face down here so I can smack it!"