Runescape

Tell me, Veeky Forums, Have you ever run a game set in Gielinor? I've really never seen Runescape discussed on Veeky Forums as a possible setting. Even beyond 07'scape the lore is actually pretty good and I think the boatload of fantasy concepts in it can be explored pretty well in a campaign.

What's your opinion on it, Veeky Forums?

inb4 someone starts an 07 vs. RS3 shitposting match

Other urls found in this thread:

runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Gielinor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump for intrest. I always wanted to try it, but most of my players never play it and are harcore WOWfags.

It would be cool to run a game set during the god wars.

>always assumed Saradomin was lawful good as a kid
>realize later that he's closer to lawful evil.
>even Zaros is less of a douchebag by comparison.

>that time when I was 12 and someone led me from the starting town as far out into the world as they could so they could power up my gear
>get to a random rune crafting spot
>"give me your stuff i will power it up"
>give them the stuff
>they log out

I'll never fucking forget

Campaigns in settings from movies, shows or games are never good.

Now I want to pull that in a campaign just to see how gullible my player are.

I will start an rs3 shitposting match because A setting in the state of lore runescape was in in 07-10 would be cool, while an rs3 setting would be shit because its essentially world of warcraft where every motherfucker has turbo ornate pauldrons and glowing elemental swords.

The god lore was looking good as fuck when they actually decided to let them come back. Then it pretty much went downhill from that point. All the false promises that actually fighting and competing for your god would matter, culminating into an ultimately shitty questline.

Some of the other stuff they did was interesting, though.
>Death with a capital D has found that there is far too much life in the world and wants you to balance it be slaying creatures full of lifeforce

I have. My characters started off in Crandor pre-dragon attack, happened to be off-island when it was burned, did quests, then went back and killed the dragon. Good times.

It's great if you know the lore of the setting

>comparatively balanced magic, melee, and ranged
>intuitive magic system
>funny, self-aware setting that can take itself seriously when needed
>can wear dragon hides
i actually love the setting, played it so much

*lawful neutral, but I agree he is an absolute douchenozzle. Quite interesting really, I'm not much of a rp'er invideogames, I leave that for the tabletop typically, but I'd always played my character as a saradominist trying to do good in the world. However when EoC happened I quite until earlier this year and when I come back Guthix is dead, the gods are running rampant etc. So now I imagine him as a bitter member of the Godless, his ideals betrayed by his former idol.

So fun stuff really. RS has such interesting lore but a relatively bland game attached to it, a real shame.

Armadyl is the true good guy

Guthix was the true good guy, realising the need for mortals to have true self-determination. Fagbird is certainly one of the more benevolent gods though, alongside Seren, but ultimately at the end of the day he still wants to rule mortals, seeing them as being incapable of governing themselves.

Someone once offered to turn my mith scimmy into rune. That was a good way to lose all my money

Is there any good lore compilation of the setting?

wasnt rs3 injected with sjw propeganda tier lore?

nothing egregious comes to mind unless you count birdfag. It's always been pretty tongue in cheek and reserves the moral messages for charity-events that stick around for a couple of weeks at most. It has some strong antitheistic themes in some of the questlines too, but hey, the gods are dicks so fuck 'em

runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Gielinor
Start here, keep clicking links to see how deep the rabbithole goes. It's a game wiki so ofc there'll be gameplay elements in it too but it covers the lore equally well.

Currently in a Runescape campaign set in the Fourth Age. It's pretty comfy, if a bit goofy at times.

isn't it also a bit Lovecraftian considering the gods are just food for even older supergods and the whole universe is about to end if they wake up?

Yes and no. There are seven tiers of "gods" with varying levels of power, all of them resemble different real-life equivalents. What you're describing are the Elder Gods.

Basically they're powerful enough to dream major gods into existence while asleep, and the stillborn potato elder god inadvertently made two of them to be its playthings and caretakers, until they eventually abandoned their creator.

I could share some information about interesting points if anyone's interested.

The setting has an interesting take on magic for mortals, and a little bit of everything from a sixty-floor dungeon full of monstrous horrors from another dimension to vampire nobility to Hawaii.

wasn't runic magic created by guthix to give mortals the power of the gods or something?

Runes were given to mortals by Guthix so that all mortals would have access to magic, provided they had talent and studied.

Life without magic in the Scapeverse, if you haven't guessed, seriously blows if someone threatening you had it and you didn't. Which is why magic alien skeleton wizards (mahjarrat) can ruin entire countries if left to their own devices for too long.

It is only one form of magic though, don't forget about Summoning, Prayer and Divination, not to mention all the other more 'niche' forms NPC's use or that the player briefly gets access to during quests like Oneiromancy or Tooth-Magic.

Obviously for practical reasons Jagex can't program all that crap in but there's a lot more breadth to it. Runes are an easy route though, since even in the actual game Magic is by far one of the easiest skills to train, especially compared to Summoning and Prayer (which is actually a form of necromancy/spirituality/ancestor worship and is not actually reliant on gods at all). So Guthix created it more as an equaliser than a be-all end-all

I always found it hilarious that Runescape was actually one of the better written MMOs. I remember thinking how dumb the quests were when I was a member, then I realized everyone else was doing much worse.

>tfw zaros worshipper way before his quest came out

does anyone on Veeky Forums not worship zaros

Zaros did nothing wrong.

Zaros has autism, therefore, everyone on Veeky Forums worships him

I'm a #BirdieBro

I was a Guthixfag, but then they killed him, so I don't know anymore.