WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>While the enemies of The Emperor still draw breath, there can be no peace.
youtube.com/watch?v=aEQM9sbQ4fk

>Previous Threads:

Working on this Nob for a squad of shoota boyz, making his shoota extra flash so it's a kustom shoota.
I also decided to give him a different hand, and make his gun the choppa. I kinda want it to look like he's signalling the boyz to frag em.
Unfortunately, the inside of that hand is entirely flat, so I want to put something inside. Ideas? I was thinking maybe a space marine helmet or an ork skull.

Another shot
Yes I know there are a gorillian mold lines, I'm going to work on that

God damn guys I really fucked up. I primed half my army in Army Painter Bone spray primer and then realized it wasn't what I wanted to do because of my severe Autism for painting and the shit won't come off at all. I've tried simple green and super clean and let them soak for well over 72 hours and I still can't get most of it off. I'm thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleanser and letting them sit in that but if that doesn't work I think I'm just gonna sell them on ebay, lose money on them, and start with new models.

TLDR I primed my guys wrong and it won't come off, should I keep trying to get the shit off or sell them and start over?

Rubbing alcohol removes my army painter primer.

I like how he's throwing his hand up, as if saying "COME ON? REALLY?"

While I like the hand up in the air, you could always put one of their grenades in there.

Testing out how to make Rough Riders. First attempt using Perry Miniature's Napoleonic Heavy Cavalry with Warzone Ducal Militia.
Something seems off, but I can't put my finger on it. He seems too large for the horse maybe?

>inb4 moldlines or gaps
Just a rough test here.

The issue with that is that the inside of the hand is completely textureless. It's all flat.

Dettol works. I assume you're USA, but maybe you can access some

Does anyone have experience with a soul grinder? Looking into making a soul grinder of nurgle and I dislike the head the ones pictured on games workshop have.

Do you know if the kit comes with alternate heads?

I'll tell you what's off. His legs are too short or he's sitting in a weird way and he is way to big for that horse.

Gave my old captain some attention for the new edition. Magnetized him some new weapons and cleaned up some old messes. A bit sad he can't really bring anything similar to the prinarchs wrath that I was representing with a heavy bolter, but it's hard to be unhappy with Dorn's personal loadout.

And then I painted one of the company's newest friends!

Tried out Dunc's drybrush fists recipe. Pretty easy.

>spend ages removing mold lines on daemons
>moving things out of the room as part of summer cleaning
>look at daemon while in bright living room, sun shining in
>mold lines everywhere

so in other news I got a lamp for my hobby setup. My bulbs are all too stronk for it, though, so I have to postpone building for another day.

>when your regiment accidentally brings the shaving manual instead of the grudge book
They look dusty and the gold needs a highlight. Other than that they look alright.

Mold lines stay visible even when they're not really there. Run a fingernail over it and see if you can feel it.

When I sand down my sprue nubs, I can still see them, but after I paint them they're invisible.

Great work, user. I especially like the shields.

Oi WIP, is normal beach sand okay to base your model with or does it just flake off/pain on the arse to deal with? Going to use it base pic related. Also any other basing ideas you guys would think would work better on these models would be great.

Sand is sand, nigga, hobby sand doesn't have special properties that allow it to stick to bases more than beach sand. All sand will flake off if you don't apply it correctly.

Bake that sand to sterilize it before you use it, you don't know how many dog turds, teenager semen, and HIV needles have been in it.

It might be too coarse for your purposes.

Live in western australia our sand is best sand. Was just curious about basing in general, never based before and was wondering if sand is a prick to base with

Shoving spiky Tyranid miniatures up his rectum?

Any alternatives you think would work well with those models?

It's not too bad, but you do have to make sure you put down a piece of paper cause it can get a tiny bit messy. You spread some PVA school glue/Elmer's glue (thinned with water if you want) on the base, then dunk it in a bunch of sand, wait a few seconds, then lift the model out, hold it sideways or upside down, gently tap off the extra sand, then let it dry.

You should then seal it with some watered down PVA glue, primer, and/or varnish before painting.

This is the same method to do grass and flock, paint on glue and dunk or sprinkle. The dunking is what makes it fun.

Cheers bro, ill keep that in mind. Thanks for info

Imma be honest here, I don't really get whats the big deal. I use sand from a playground near my house to base my nids, I just apply "Elmers Glue-All multi-purpose glue" and done.

Couple tips tho:
1. give the base a very quick and rough paintjob in a sandy color, that way the black doesnt show through the sand
2.When I apply the glue, it covers the entire base, but very thinnly. As Duncan says, thin your glue.
3. You will need several layers to have a strong finish, so have patience and let those bases dry before applying another thin coat of glue.
4. I don't think it should flake off if you apply it properly. None of my sand is giving me any trouble, it deosn't even come off when I try to rub it off.

>I don't think it should flake off if you apply it properly. None of my sand is giving me any trouble, it deosn't even come off when I try to rub it off.

STOP RUBBING YOUR BASES

I don't rub my bases.
I based my first Grey Knight just like my Tyranids, though, and then realized I wanted to give them lava bases instead. So I tried to get rid of the sand, but goddammit, that stuff sticks. I got about half of it off before I decided "screw it, I'll just paint over it now, I ain't dealing with this shit"

Fuck you I'll rub my bases if I want you can't stop me

>playground
Im surprised any one from the chan is allowed near playgrounds
Thabks for the info though my dude. Good to know that actual sand is viable and cheers for tips. Do younalso have tonthin the very firstblayer flue that sand sticks to or just the sealing layers?

>Im surprised any one from the chan is allowed near playgrounds

They won't be after the cops see them crouching in one scooping up sand. Go during the day? Suspicious cause there's kids around. Go during the night? Suspicious cause it's the fucking night.

>playground
I got my sand from there once and just filled up a container about two years ago, and haven't had to refill since.

I thin the first layer of glue, and like a different user said, dunk it into a small container of sand.
The second layer is mainly for covering up any areas that don't have enough sand on them already, which looks pretty bad if you can see the black base through the white/yellow/beige (what color is sand?) of the sand. Like I said, thats why I paint the base beforehand (I use Tallern Sand, for your reference, since the sand I use is a bit darker than usual)

>Mommy why is that fat man scooping up sand?

kek

>he wants to go back to wonderland, Timmy.

First step done, now the base and clean the axe really enjoy to paint my victorious dwarf
what do you think?

So I just found this comparison chart. I found it pretty fucking interesting/useful, so I'm going to drop it here for you mooks in case you guys haven't seen it. Found it from "Massive Voodoo".

still looking for critiques that arent about the file size

my first ultra marines, gonna paint the whole box set this way.

I like the assembly of the dwarf itself. The head is always a cool edition. Maybe green stuff in a wind pipe or some spine? The square base is an odd choice. Are you going to style and paint it with stone city floor? The sharp edge may look odd. Cork seems to be a decent alternative. Good job though.

The table runner is hideous and i really wonder why you have a dark varnish on the woodwork when most people are going after the skandi look.

More highlights on the metalic trim would be nice.

The file size is too big, why are you creating a collage when you can just post 5 times with 5 small pictures?

How do you plan to base it?

Looks good user both smooth an neat. A little dark for my tastes. You could do with highlighting that sword and gun though imo

You can buy sand meant for miniatures.
All I'm saying it depends on where you get it.

>why are you making a collage when you could just post 5 images

People autistically screeched at me last time for posting seprrate images, i just want to make tg happy

Im not sure on the base, i usually base like pic related since im fucking lazy, but i could do something else

Lighten that thing up, that's not an ultramarine looks more like a crimson fist with that deep blue.
If your painting smurfs atleast use a white basecoat the blue will show a lot brighter.

>you have to eat all the eggs

Thanks for the input, not for nothing but the camera makes it darker than it really is. I only used macragge blue since i didnt want to grt the blue layer gw sells just to paint smurfs

Nothing wrong with dark; it's closer to their RT colors (which maybe makes sense, since they're Girlyman's boys)

I've never used green stuff before, any advice on how to recreate the masks in pic related?

where was this picture taken from?

God damn I gotta get me that aero vision space
No idea what for but it looks amazing

my fucking nigger
I know, that shit is like 80% of why I even posted it here
I saw it and was like "Aw hell yeah"

The shadow war Armageddon box

these look rad as fuck

Alright so some ideas; Dark Eldar portals. Lizardmen weapons (since they got that spacefarer thing going for them now). Eldar gems. Probably some Necron shit, like the Nightbringer. Tzeentchian things, like staves or what have you. Maybe the shoulders for some space-themed space marines chapter.

>Blood Raven Scouts

I just want to make Cyrus from Dawn of War 2.

>Dawn of War 2
My current project is Dawn of War 1 and 2 based, including most of the Characters.

I would bits order the face grill head from the scout biker box and fill in the grill and put goggles on it.

>tfw you will never be able to paint like this

The back of the legs look great, but maybe add more highlights? The helmet could be brighter

First 40k model in a long time. Where the hell can you get Black Templar transfers these days?

what's your current progress? I'd love to see it.

Maybe consider touching up his holster and highlighting his hair

You can find transfers on ebay for like 2 bucks

Will do user, haven't finished cleanup/highlighting (and obviously basing) yet.

Just picked up 5 sheets from eBay, not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks user!

Great paintjobs!

WIP it good

I like it, user.

Has anyone ever tried Drybrushing Ork skin? How does it look? I got a bunch of boys to paint and I'm considering my options.

just freehand bro

Its not even that good, its tabletop at best.

The blue is way too dark for ultrmarines, and why would you ever choose gold trim over red trim. Also he decals are sloppy

>decal is sloppy
Bro wtf are you talking about

I swear you people are just looking for any stupid reason to criticize a model
>The blue is way too dark for ultrmarines
Jesus fucking Christ does it matter if the blue is darker than normal
Anyone who knows what an ultramarine looks like will look at that and say "Yep, that's an ultramarine"

The model is done to a degree that they cannot achieve, so they cant put in any realy critisism that isnt pure autism

Happens all the time when someone posts a good paint job

fuck up idiot, bigger images is better than posting 5 times, makes thread hit bump limit faster etc. all you poorfags with shit internet whinging and whining about file sizes need to fuck off.
because gold trim is better objectively and darkness of the blue is subjective. kill yourself.

THink of it like this, if someone complains about filesize, they are poor, like poor to the point where they wouldn't be able to afford models, paint and brushes. They are fuckheads that need to die. you are fine. Your painting is about the standard of Duncan, albeit, not quite as consistent/neat. You're doing well and you still have room for improvement but you're on the right track. If you would like tips on improving the primaris marine, my best advice would be to watch painting buddha videos and when you feel confident enough dive into trying those techniques.

see

What the fuck OP!? why do you have a collage of johnnies in your image? and why is it so fuck huge? resize that shit, are you kidding me!??!?!

Chainsword could use some highlights, the red's a bit flat.
Yellow looks good though.

They ought not be too hard to find, just Google Templar Cross decal.

>everyone tells you drybrushing looks like shit
>this model looks wonderful.

stronger highlights.

Like all techniques, it's a matter of execution.
It's quite easy to ruin a model if you drybrush it too much, but get the balance right and it'll work quite well.

It looks like he did an edge highlight as well. By in large, drybrushing -does- look like ass. Like that video Duncan just put up...

>Bake that sand to sterilize it before you use it, you don't know how many dog turds, teenager semen, and HIV needles have been in it.

Honestly, you are mostly baking it to get rid of the moisture. Most nasty shit can't actually live in sand for all that long.

beach sand is probably too fine grit to work. you can buy good sand at a craft store i believe.

true, you'll want river sand, it's more angular (the grains that is) and as such is nicer for basing and sculpting.

Thanks, bro
Right? Like others said, there was a final edge highlight too that really makes it work and is so easy to do on these primaris guys. I'm definitely switching to this method for my infantry.

Nice work brother! Really like your shoulder pads. I am also expanding my crusade, the new marines are quite enjoyable to paint

No!

Thanks! The formula I use is:
Base Vallejo Panzer Grey -> 2 coats P3 Menoth White Base over the whole shoulder -> 2 coats P3 Menoth White Highlight, one over the entire shoulder and the second over everything but the outermost edge -> 1 coat P3 Morrow White over the highest surface -> lightly wash with Seraphim Sepia

I didn't think that DA looked like ass; not fantastic, but better than raw plastic.

I could get similar results by making casts of primarines and using black and green dye in the resin.

this

those highlights are fucking choice as they are, not to strong, and not too dim.

That's dark enough that it's eating your highlights. Drybrush it with a lighter be to spread the color around.

I also would not have applied a transfer until I was sure the color was right.

Looks really good.

Table top +

If there's a scale. Then that's a 7/10.

>user obviously spent hours highlighting
>you can see, especially on the backpack, there are layers of highlights

and you suggest he drybrush?
nigga.

two hours and I still haven't finished the basecoats.

I added a little deathguard-let for an idea of the finished product.

Drybrushing lightens the main surfaces as well as the edges and user is using a paint dark enough that it's eating some of his details.

Yes, I recommend a drybrush. And you ain't my nigga.

drybrush would 100% ruin the model

its such a clean and neat job, and drybrushing is not clean or neat.

Also lads, how would heavily done up Primaris look, in that 2nd edition style?

I'm talking like chequers, flames, yellow guns, script, 2 decals, freehands. Basically squads of this.