Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Qlippoth or Demons? Which makes the better abyssal spawn?

PoW errata: dreamscarred.com/path-war-errata/

Link repository; point out problems if found: ghostbin.com/paste/tx5h8
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1CSgeLAT
pastebin.com/SYcfHh6L
pastebin.com/RS9g08i7
michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/
paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljwh?Gods-of-Starfinder-Part-One
beastsofwar.com/starfinder/meet-gods-rpg-universe/
knowdirectionpodcast.com/2017/06/7106/
pastebin.com/Y7JhzfYA
strawpoll.me/13238991
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is anyone excited for Starfinder? Nobody here gave a shit about the Free RPG Day thing.

I kind of am. I like how it gives you rules to play as a space spider dude.

Qlippoth, easily. I want my CE plane filled with eldritch abominations that make you go insane, not some namby pamby incarnations of sin or whatever demons are supposed to be in pf

Demons have the better fluff, more iconic designs, and have way too many types that go largely unused. If it's not a balor or a succubus almost nobody knows what it is or cares.

Qlippoth have more imaginative designs, but their fluff seems redundant at best, lazy at its worst. I can't take most of them seriously as villains.

Getting a handjob from that thing must feel amazing.

it's also a shapeshifter, so it could totally be a QT with cowtits as it jacks you with it's tentacle hand.

Well, you can't PLAY First Contact. It did reveal a lot more about the rule set, like how it's using Pathfinder Unchained's system for generating monsters for all opposition.

>Is anyone excited for Starfinder? Nobody here gave a shit about the Free RPG Day thing.
What?

>Chavasvug has a fly speed of 60 ft.
w-why

I like the concept of qlippoth, but they didn't get covered much before Bestiary 6; hope the reprint of Book of the Damned gives more detail for them. If I could only pick one to do a campaign with, I think I'd get more mileage out of demons.

There should be books for the evil outsiders that aren't made of mortal souls. Qlippoth, Kyton, and what ever the NE one is.

I think the Book of the Damned reprint is supposed to at least have some details on kytons and qlippoth beyond what was in the original thin-books. Wouldn't mind extra info though, yeah. And to be honest I've never seen someone use a Div in a game, but I think they're the NE ones that aren't daemons/soul related.

Free RPG day was a couple days ago, it's the day where game stores basically do a whole thing to celebrate tabletop RPGs, and there was a thing in some locations where people could test out Starfinder.

A book that contained some aliens for Starfinder could be picked up on june 17th at any participating FLGS.

Got good info on several differences between Starfinder and Pathfinder. Tech lich, space goblins, weird spider race from a gas giant, ice world leeches who use you for a heart, psychic brain race ported over from PF, something reminiscent of that giant monster from the Mist movie and it spews out radiation, plant based predator with adaptive abilities based on feeding, horrific mosquito people from a living world, tall people who live in space and have light based wings, human space pirates, and a security bot.

Im excited for it. First thing on the homebrew front once I've read the system is Starfox and Metroid. I'm going to recreate the cantina scene from Star wars, but it's going to be filled with cameos of various franchises. Blue psychic foxes and badass bird engineered bounty hunters are going to happen.

What are the best books to start learning Pathfinder's setting?

-----Konrad-----

I’ll admit, I had a good laugh when I read through this app. Partly because there was a line or two where I had to stop and wonder if that was a reference to what I thought it was.

In regards to the app itself, it looks good for the most part. My only real issue is how it’s written, in a sort of journal-entry style. Rather, it’s not the fact that it’s written like a journal that’s the problem, it’s that the way you’d write a journal, you have to assume that whoever’s reading it is familiar with the person and the world they’re in already, because you can’t just go “Gee, I sure am glad to be born here in a small village a few miles out from the capital, to a nice miller and his baker wife”, because it just sounds hamfisted unless you really try to weave that information in natural. Typically, when I read a backstory, I want to get the pertinent info straight, so it’s right there for me to reference and there’s no risk of accidentally mis-interpreting something. I assume Konrad is from Mendev, for example, but since it’s not actually mentioned anywhere he could technically be from anywhere. I might assume he’s from Mendev, when really the player meant for him to be from Varisia.

That said, beyond those gripes Konrad’s app is pretty well-done. The jokes weren’t jarring, he has connections to other NPCs, and I can understand his (albeit unconventional) motivation for participating in the crusades. His backstory isn’t anything extremely fancy compared to others (he’s basically just a normal guy who joined the crusades out of guilt over being gay), but that’s not a bad thing by any means.

>1/2, jusy barely over character limit.

Suggestion-wise, my only real suggestion would be to maybe weave in some more concrete information into his journal entries somehow. Stuff about where he’s from, how far from the front-line does his family is, who his mentor works for, things like that. Just find a way to sort of naturally slip them in, so there’s no guesswork over the basic stuff.

>2/2

>Daddy taught us not to be ashamed of our swords

It's also an issue when someone doesn't WANT to play an initiator.

The answer to 'what if I don't want to play an initiator' being 'play an initiator' is a bad thing.

What would your character's role and appearance be like if Golarion was suddenly a nearly-modern, 80s as FUCK kind of place?

That's exactly the line I was thinking of. I had to stop and re-read that line a second time because my eyes kind of read past it for a second until it clicked in my head "Hey, wait a sec..."

I think I mentioned it before, but I tend to take apps really seriously. A lot of times you see apps with some jokes forced in (usually meme apps) that make me roll my eyes, but that was subtle enough that it didn't feel jarring. So it gets a thumbs-up from me.

Anywho, I'm probably going to head to sleep soon, but once I get started on reviews again I'll pick up where I left off. Next should be Seraphina, and after her is Frederick.

There's plenty of 3pp shit out there if you don't want to play an initiator parrot

Probably would turn into a cop with a magnum 44 on his holster

REX
POWER
COLT

I want to be but honestly it's been years since I gave up hope on Paizo ever making anything good again.

Demons, Qlippoth don't seem like they can have an actual personality but demons can.

Have you read the Ensoulment stories, user? Do it now and tell us what you think!
>1: Mouse and Vandread pastebin.com/1CSgeLAT
>2: Ichabod gambles for his freedom pastebin.com/SYcfHh6L
>3: Derrin tries to shag a ghost pastebin.com/RS9g08i7

Is there anything worthwhile in Adventurer's Guide?

stop posting smut are you trying to get us banned?

>implying
you're funny

The only thing more pathetic than playing in a degenerate ERP campaign is caring about one you're not playing in.

Agreed

>Feat Tax rules
>michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/

Wait, wait, wait, wait. Am I getting this right?
>Martial Mastery
>Combat feats like Weapon Focus now apply to weapon groups instead of a specific weapon by default.

So.. Weapon Focus (Exotic) for all Exotic Weapons? Weapon Focus (Martial) for all Martial Weapons? Weapon Focus (Simple) for all Simple weapons (why would anyone...?)?

That sounds all kinds of fucked, might as well remove the requirements at that point. Or am I misunderstanding something? Please tell me I am.

No. Weapon Focus (Light Blades), Weapon Focus (Polearms), etc.

Fighter Weapon Groups, not proficiency categories, ya dunce.

How long does it take for guns to become commonplace once they appear? What about after the invention handcannons? How common were in, say, 1470 vs 1550?

>handcannons

Matchlocks, I meant.

Can a Tauric Eidolon have the pounce evolution?
Irregardless, how does it stack when compared to the quadruped?

I'm going to play Starfinder but I don't think I'll use the included lore. I'll homebrew something.

Biped is, objectively, better from a standpoint of dealing damage, as it has a higher level of strength.

Technically speaking, you do not become a quadruped by gaining an extra pair of legs; you need it as your base form. Therefore, starting with the biped base is only good if you care about strength more than pounce.

Personally, I prefer the aberrant aberration eidolons. They uniquely get the grab ad tentacle nest evolutions, which is great. Plus, if you take Spirit Summoner, you can eventually give it the Advanced Template and just laugh.

Inner Sea Races, Inner Sea Religions, Inner Sea World Guide.

If you can, go into the PathfinderWiki and just go nuts.

I'd say they become an expected part of the battlefield by 1550, and ubiquitous by 1600.

Around 1470, about every tenth European soldier had a firearm IRL. There were some deviations, though. In the Black Army, for example, which was pretty dominant at the time, every fourth soldier had a firearm.

I'd like to point out that guns were actually around since about the 1200s in the real world IIRC (been a while). They just didn't spread and become useful until much, much later. As such, it should actually take closer to around 200 or so years from the time the first guns are invented to the time when they start seeing widespread use, and even then they'll still be kind of crappyand won't be cost effective as weapons to give to everybody for another hundred years or so.

This is assuming a relatively similar political demographic to Earth. If there's a group that's obsessed with innovation and technology, it could spread up spread and development by as much as 50%.

If a GM ever complains about firearms in a fantasy setting, by the way, feel free to inform him that guns predated plate armor by several centuries.

>If a GM ever complains about firearms in a fantasy setting, by the way, feel free to inform him that guns predated plate armor by several centuries.
Yeah and you just conveniently gloss over that it's because they existed archaically in China and plate armour is an European development

Retarded anime poster

Plate armor was designed as the answer to guns.

you know that expert blacksmiths went out of their way to actually bulletproof their armor, right?

there's even historical record of blacksmiths making shoddy plate armor and banging dents in it to pretend that it was bulletproof.

>predating by centuries

Cherrypicking facts

alright, so you've begun a debate on the point. The burden of proof is now on you. Please, enlighten us with your wisdom, since you apparently know a great deal.

Fantasy settings being based around the Renaissance is a bare-faced lie built around misunderstanding the flow of history. List the things you find in something like Golarion; plate armor, firearms, absolute monarchs, explosives, vibrant city life. These aren't the trappings of the 1440s, these are things you'd find in the 1640s.

A fantasy setting can be advanced in certain ways and not in others.

So your argument is "sometimes I'm right!"?

Dude, that's weak.

But... What part of this particular fantasy setting is more Renaissance than Early Modern?

Tell me about the last unique magic item your group got!

Flute of Dragons Fire
It works like a snake charmer's flute, except for shaping flame.
if you blow through it, you can extinguish all fires in front of you (up to roaring campfire size)
If you inhale through it, you can suck up the fire and extinguish it, but the fire is then in the flute, and the next time you blow through it you cast Burning Hands.
In addition, any time you are holding this and pass your save against a dragon's breath attack, you may have the flute store that breath attack in the same manner and take no damage as though you had evasion.

How would you portrait a setting in the beginning/middle of the Reformation (Catholics vs rising Protestants and so on)?

>removing (pathfinder, starfinder)
Nice

Could the printing press be used to mass-produce enchanted books, spells and so on?

Only if it's an enchanted printing press.

>as though you had Evasion

Improved Evasion

No, because it requires you to make your save.

IE gives half damage on failed save.

Depends on the social strata you're focusing on, user. The wealthy aristocrats will be mostly looking at the shift in theology in political terms, such as how Protestantism severs the connection between their lands and that of Rome (which is an excellent way to finally tax the fat cat bishops that are in your lands.) Anything lower than a mayor, however, is going to see the Reformation through the lens of religion. Many people were upset at the decadence of the Church, and would see Protestantism as their ticket to a more grounded and worldly path to salvation.

Some stuff on SF deities
paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ljwh?Gods-of-Starfinder-Part-One

And several more
beastsofwar.com/starfinder/meet-gods-rpg-universe/
>Oras, CN god of evolution, DNA and adaptation, teaches followers to create their own environmental pressure and evolve themselves, colors are red and green. Pic related?

Metroid you say?
knowdirectionpodcast.com/2017/06/7106/

Fucking phoneposting thought the pic was bigger. Different one here but decent size.

Oras is Jeff Goldblum and Eloritu is a Stargate.

How should I stat up the crones?

What's so bad about the Rostland Bravo? Isn't it better than a normal Swashbuckler?

A guy in my group picked up the Starfinder monster thing. One of them had a ranged attack that dealt 1d810 damage...

Why the fuck are undead hp based off of charisma? "lol i'm so charming so I have more hp"... fuck this shit. I ended up with undead that had shitloads of hp because they had no constitution, THAT'S why they had a d12 hit die, but Pathfinder removed that. And they thought it was okay because "most undead have a higher charisma score". What the fuck? No they don't. In the Libris Mortis, only like four of the 20 undead creatures in the bestiary section has a charisma above 10. Most are in the single digits.

Fuck you Paizo. Once again you fucked up something with Pathfinder and once again ANOTHER area where 3.5 is objectively superior.

It does nothing on a failed save?

Also, it's very odd that it gives you a breath weapon attack you can't actually use on the dragon, since they'll be immune to it. But it's cool.

The whole point is that they cannot be killed by stuff that targets constitution
Like most poisons and life stealing shit and stuff
They stay alive by willpower

Pathfinder is absolutely retarded on what is willpower.
>Charisma is willpower
>Except when it isn't and Wisdom is instead

Nah, it's pretty simple. Wisdom is mental constitution, charisma is mental strength.

By that logic, DC of all spellcasting without exception should be CHA-based.
Now that I think about it, that would actually be a good change for Pathfinder.

By that logic, undead HP should be WIS-based.

One could argue that they're staying alive through sheer bloodymindedness. Your endurance doesn't matter if you can't get the bones moving in the first place. And the more damaged they get, the harder they get to move.

That really would be a sensible rule. I guess you could argue that wizards get the equivalent of agile maneuvers(in other words, it's not about how hard you push, it's about the leverage), and divine(wisdom based) casters aren't actually using their own strength, so it's more about how much of their god's power they can endure or some shit.

Well..."classic" fantasy casting is.
Sorcs and Oracles bellow at the world to move as they wish and the world just backs off and says "ok ok fine calm your shit"
Wizards can't do that, but they memorize the konami codes of the world. Problem is, the Konami Code for you changes each time its used, so you gotta re-memorize them every day.
Clerics don't actually do the hard work - their gods grant them miracles. Their Wisdom is just how in-touch they are with divine power and how easily the conduit works.

My instincts tell me life shouldn't be this horrible. What people of Golarion would you say have the rawest deal?

Living people in Geb or Sarkorian natives, probably

Elven females. Orcs, humans, beasts, and monsters out of literal hell seem to have nothing better to do than come after your ass all the time.

Great, now I need to make a resurgent empire of evil cyber dinosaurs.

Well to be fair that ass it's pretty dam fine

How so?

What I mean is: Wizards and Clerics still have their INT or WIS based spells/day. But DC is strictly CHA.
That's the most sensible option given the fluff, and those fuckers need to be more MAD anyway.

What's the most likely source of education and literacy dyuring the 14-15-16th centuries and before the 17th century?

I've always considered charisma to be the soul stat. It fits nicely with bards and sorcerers drawing deep for their magics instead of using raw mental effort. For undead, this 'soul' becomes the magic stuff that holds them together. The better the necromancy, the more damage their remaining material form can tolerate before falling apart again.

>given the fluff
I'm not sure about that, considering the effectiveness of cheats amounts to how well he can remember the cheat and the cleric is really just channeling

Where, Europe?
Monastic schools, monastaries, clergy, nobility taking tutors, and foreigners

pastebin.com/Y7JhzfYA

In order?

>Clergy
>Monasteries
>Private Tutors
>Universities

The absolute best source of secular learning you could get in the 1100s is from a Byzantine scholar at University.

>or Sarkorian natives

You know, I'm still shocked that nobody's bothered to make a Sarkorian Native for that Wrath of the Righteous campaign. I'd daresay they have better cause to despise the Demons than Mendev.

Since this is ending in a few days, we might as well test the waters of public opinion:
strawpoll.me/13238991

Fuck off.

You could also be Islamic, Indian, or Chinese.

>Islam
>Learning
>After the Mongol Invasion

You got two right out of thirteen. Try again.
Also, got confirmation that Seraphina is not a follower of Iomedae.

And I do not like Milani either. It was just a comparison of scale as if I was given a last choice between the two. Falayna is the ultimate ladyknight goddess and thus best goddess, with /fitlit/ Eritrice a close second and Olheon third.

>1100s
>mongols
Huh?

Tuvok! Tuvok! I have question!

What is your opinion on male characters?

LADYKNIGHTS
LADYKNIGHTS
LADYKNIGHTS

Ademon and Leonard, right?

/5eg/ was no help. Hope /ppg/ can be.

Got a player who ended last session buried under 60 feet of desert. Probably not gonna survive.

Anyone have a good desert or sand pun I can drop on this player after they die?