>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What was the best gimmick of an NPC that you or your DM have come up with?

reposting

I'm getting tired of spending all my time writing campaigns and I'm not really interested in doing any of the 5e adventure modules yet.

Anyone have a favorite community module they can suggest?

All the merchants are one guy wearing a different hat. This is mainly because our DM is shite at voices.

Is he a peddler of souls and oddities, plying the world with a wagon named Needful Things?

Who knows!

Can a 1-INT character survive without drowning in his own saliva? How do you roleplay 1 INT?

Like this:

Hhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaahuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuujjkakakkakakakkakakakakakakakakakakakakakhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's obviously just one of the option you have though.

You don't. Anything with 1 INT might as well be cave moss.

Most community made modules are just as shit, if not worse, than official ones.

Fuck, well I guess I need to start writing my own, I just wish I was better at it

I have a guy called Teshet Stander, who always announces himself as "Teshet Stander, Master Thief, and Superb Lover".

He bursts through windows, has a pseudo-Spanish accent, and essentially does anything that will heighten the drama.

He's just fun to play with. He's by far my party's favourite character and they look for any excuse to interact with him. I like him because I get to turn the ham up to ten.

How the fuck do I make a potion of healing? With an Herbalist kit like the poisoner's?

You don't. There's no crafting rules in this edition.

Now go delve some dungeons.

What? There clearly are! However crafting takes quite a while.

There's plenty of crafting rules, they're just strewn abouy different tomes and do not always reference they are a part of the same whole

someone here understands

someone here will know

Herbalist's Kit. Using the UA: Downtime it will take you a single day and 25gp per potion.

Is there even any replayability to Curse of Strahd?

Kinda. The treasures hiding place are random everytime you play

Princes of the Apocalypse. What's your verdicts, Anons?

Long, boring slog.

I played once, DM'd it once, and we just couldn't finish it normally either time.

Could work if you cut a lot of the chaff and have better ability than me or my DM for running sandbox-y campaigns.

My gf recently started DMing it. Fortunately she has a flair for bringing characters and towns to life. Will that help, or is it a lost cause?

If she can keep it up? Maybe. I think there's just too much dungeoneering going on, and the dungeons themselves aren't especially interesting (also, the world really isn't built to handle reconnaissance by familiar and infinite wizard rituals, but that's a FR/5e problem).

I kind of want to start up a Mystic before the next UA probably guts it like they did UA Bladelock.

What's currently the best way to build a Warlock of some ancient sentient magical sea monster?
Playing 5e tomorrow, new campaign, new DM, he's allowing UA. We're starting from level 1.
I'm thinking human GOOlock because Claw of Acamar looks perfect for him as a bladelock and Gift of the Depths could work at 5th level.
Kind of want to give him a cannibal flavour, like he sees the mother of sea monsters as his mother and figures if he isn't eating people and causing mass destruction he isn't doing it right, but he's still human and likes the party so he limits it to acceptable targets like bandits and monsters and dungeons.
Any advice on building him?

Sea Sorcerer/GOOlock. Push and pull niggas everywhere.

Okay.

What is everyone'sfavourite 5e adventure modules, WotC or otherwise?

GOOlock fits perfectly thematically, though the Undying patron works quite well as well, especially with the level 10 ability that means you don't need water and don't need to eat traditional food - like, the cannibalism would be purely ritualistic.

>5th edition
>Healer memes

'We need a healer' is for groups than run by shitty base death save rules.

Just ask your DM for healing potions.

>have a life cleric and valor bard with aura of vitality and healing spells in the group
never dying here

Mind Thrust talent VS Energy Beam talent

I really need opinions on this
To me Mind Thrust would be a clear winner, why would I pick Energy Beam?

One level of sea sorcerer and then goolock?
Mixing the Water Curse sorcerer ability with Grasp of Hadar invocation to pull things 25 feet towards me? Does that work? I feel like it should only work with sorcerer spells.
Shit Claw of Acamar's thing doesn't even say it needs to be a sorcerer spell. Eldritch Smite does. Speaking of, would Eldritch Smite and Claw of Acamar work at the same time if I expend 2 spell slots? Knock them prone and reduce speed to 0 making them unable to get up?
I think I'm gonna go with GOO, hadn't considered undying though.

Mind thrust really is just better just for
>int saves, the hardest to pass in the game
>dex saves, the easiest pass in the game

Never mind the higher damage and better damage type

Thank you for listening to my concerns.

>One level of sea sorcerer and then goolock?

Other way around.

You want most of your levels to be sorcerer for the sorcery points to quicken. 2-3 is the recommended level for warlock.

Of course, you can take more for invocations and stuff, that's just the recommended.

The point of Energy Beam is exploiting enemies with damage vulnerabilies, usually you'd take Energy Beam in addition to Mind Thrust.

np

How many times have you met an enemy with an acid / fire / thunder / lightning vulnerability and how would that justify passing on a spell with longer range, bigger dice, a +2 when using psionic assault, psychic damage and an INT save?

The last few sessions have been Mummies, Blights, and Hobgoblins so that's 2 of 3.

I wanted Sculptor of Flesh to once per day turn myself into some kind of sea monster.
A 7th level sorcerer could do it too but a lot of the things I want for my character are behind Invocations so higher warlock levels are better, especially since I want a minimum of 5 warlock levels to grab Gift of the Depths, and while Watery Form is cool it doesn't match the flavour of the character.

But I doubt it's all you ever met in your D&D career.

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage

Nine.

Nine vulnerabilities is the big maximum. And it's for fire; the element that also has the highest immunity rate after poison (a fucking 95 immunities).

Psychic has only 10 immunities and one resistance.

>assuming monsters follow the distribution as they appear in the MM

dude, come on

Aren't undead immune to psychic damage?

My Barbarian is about to hit level 4. Should I go for Polearm Master or Great Weapon Master?

He's a hill dwarf with 18/12/14/9/12/9 stats (we had to roll for them). I feel like PAM will be better since the bonus attack adds at least 7 damage already when in Rage, which balances out the damage from GWM, and also because I'll be able to team up with the Fighter (who also has PAM) to block off an area of 30 feet from invaders who'll take opportunity attacks when trying to get past.

Mostly I'm worried that GWM will bite me in the ass by making me miss too often though.

I have only ever played 3.5th editon (many years ago back in highschool) and only a little. I was wondering if its worth getting into D&D 5th.E (e.g is it new player friendly) and seeming there are no groups near me that play due to me being in another country, has anyone tried tools like roll 20, etc. to play? and if so what are their experiences with them. I am thumbing through the player's basic rules and it seems more straight forward than pathfinder.

Yeah like I'm probably gonna fight enough mummies, treants and twig blights to ever justify picking Energy Beam

Fire Elementals don't even have a vulnerability to cold

Apparently not. So I guess the dead aren't mindless, psychic damage would disrupt their connection to the living plane.

No idea. In either case, he asked why Energy Beam existed and I told him; whether it's actually useful for that purpose or not depends on your DM and if they use things with Vulnerability or if they'd let you use it in the environment- ie: starting fires, freezing water, damaging structures, etc.

Personally I'd buff it by letting it do any damage type except Force or the melee ones like Slashing.

I just finished running it. Everyone had fun, I enjoyed running it too, but I am looking forward to something different.

5e is actually one of the best things you can get into. The rules are streamlined and everything works out of the box, the PHB ranger and monk of the four elements are weaker though but not retardedly so like in PF.
Play 5e if you want to play a rpg and not an autistic shitfest.

Thing is, it's kind of supposed to be the character's trademark skill (kid that set everything on fire back then and chills drinks at parties now), but mind thrust is just that much better, and since I'm the only one in the group able to do non-physical damage, I kinda feel the pressure to take something powerful that targets INT. Maybe take a Wu Jen discipline instead fot compensate.

5e is simple. The system basically revolves around trying to be as accessible and easy to run as possible. Roll20 is a mixed bag. Most of the time you will find a bad group, sometimes you will come across a good one. You could try other places to find the group, like reddit, then play on roll20

GWM
>lets you use D12 weapons
>lets you use bonus action attacks on crit or kill
>+10 damage per hit, -5 to hit is offset by using reckless attack

PAM
>limited to D10
>cant often ready the reaction attack when in rage

But really it's up to you, and depends a bit on your subclass.

>Not a lifecleric1/lorebard6
Scrubs.

Alright, thanks for the advice, I will go and check if there are groups running for new players on plebbit after I finish reading this Basic rules booklet.

>>cant often ready the reaction attack when in rage

what?

PAM is more reliable, go for it.

>cant often ready the reaction attack when in rage
This makes no sense, you don't need to ready the attack.

On a Barb, GWM + Reckless Attack for days. You'll be hitting hard as fuck which is what you need.

Depending on your exact build it changes, but I know Paladins are better off with PAM over GWM.

>cant OFTEN
Rage needs you to make the attack action (or get hurt) before the end of every turn. The implication of was that he and the fighter were going to cover an area, but when using Rage (as you should be), you -need- to be moving to attack every turn.

The best you can hope for using PAM as a Barb are people trying to engage you after you've already initiated onto one of their buddies.

Very very new 5e player here.
What's the best build and strategy for a monk in your experience?

I'm looking to make an Ip Man, Jet Li type of warrior monk.

Point buy, variant human
16 wis and 16 dex at level 1 with 14 con
Get mobile.
Raise dex to 20
then raise wis to 20.

Do not go four elements.

Just take monk levels and max dex with ASIs.

Could some wise math user do some math and see how significant a boost in accuracy Elven Accuracy gives?

True, but you won't always have Rage available. You can just Dodge and wait for baddies to come to you, and then enter Rage when they start attacking y ou.

Downside there is that you'll need to use your bonus action on the second round of combat to enter rage, meaning you won't be able to get any extra attacks for two rounds (the first where you're waiting for the charge and the second when you're starting your rage).

I kind of feel like entering Rage should be a free action rather than a bonus action, but hey, them's the rules.

> roll20's Strahd module came out 5 hours ago
> nothing ITT or in trove

My group's usual campaign is taking a break, and I'll be running two one-shots. I was thinking of doing a bank heist for the first one, and having the players be the guards investigating the bank heist during the second one. Is dumb and boring? I can trust the players to not metagame.

Hello /5eg/, I hope you all are doing well today. I'm running, "Princes of the Apocalypse," and really wanted to have fun some weapon ideas, so I gave everyone magical weapons that grow as they level and junk. So far it has helped role-playing immensely because it's another factor that helps define their character (that got to design it).

One of my players is a Bard and I was planning on giving him songs akin to the ones in 3.5e: they take an Action, are 1 minute Concentration and can only be used per day. My question for all this is: does a song that grants a bonus to Damage rolls based off of the Bard's Charisma modifier broken?

Trove is dead user, some faggot ratted him out to roll 20 after he added the tokens

>Expecting it to appear after 5 hours

>After the guy who updated the mega got killed by r20

>Do not go four elements.
Yeah I was getting that impression too.
Open Hand then? That's what I'm leaning towards.

So monk multi-classing is generally not a good idea?

>>Do not go four elements.
>Yeah I was getting that impression too.
>Open Hand then? That's what I'm leaning towards.
Sorry forgot to actually leave the post tag in the reply.

Open hand generally, radiant soul if playing a really lethal game and you don't want mobile and want to stay away half the time, long death to spam 'no actually I don't die', shadow monk if you like stealth.

Yeah, four elements is super shit
For a pure fighter type monk, Open Hand is good and probably the most appropriate. Shadow also has amazing utility and mobility, very anti-caster

Im playing a goblin shadow monk who got a cloak of elven kind and I haven't been seen yet when I didn't want to be

New mystic when?

High stealth doesn't make you invisible, though. So you'd have to not stand in plain sight.

You say 'seen' but all you're really doing is making yourself silent.

I guess it'll depend on the rest of my party. I don't really want to make decisions based on party composition, but I guess sometimes that's wise.

Who's the feckless little cumstain what did that?

Never, if the gods are merciful.

I'm new to this general.

Who or what is trove?

UAs are back on a monthly schedule so likely July 5th at the earliest.

MEGA trove containing lots of downloadable shit, including player handbook, DMG, etc. books.

Check the OP.

Hello I am trove.

So, what is in there will be everything to ever be in there, correct?

I have used this MEGA archive numerous times and was mildly confused just now as to why it was "dead" when it is still there.

What's up, trove. Heard a lot about you. Respect for what you've done for this community!

Im using pass without trace to boost my modifier, but shadowmonks can do that

>Wow look at my skillcheck modifier to be silent!
>You stand in front of the guardsman
>FIFTY STEALTH
>The guardsman stares you down
>'I can see you, you know.'

Cloak of elvenkind makes you blend in with the environment, camouflaging you

Well at that point his neck would be broken anyways

Eventually he'll get Empty Body and become the most undetectable fuck in existence.

By then they'll be fighting shit with Truesight more often though.

Mechanically, it gives you advantage on stealth and opponents disadvantage on perception checks. You still need a place to hide.

Thats what bonus action disengage is for senpai

>My second character has died in our CoS campaign

Really, this "anywhere you go there are already 50 vampire spawn waiting to ambush you and throw you off a cliff" bullshit is boring. And all the NPCs in Barovia are garbage, apparently.

Get 16 CON

Git gud.

Wait til you get to the amber temple and pick up the bone wings, you'll just have to eat bones and dirt for the rest of your life

Play a devotion paladin or a light cleric.

As the other said, it doesn't provide anything that allows you to hide in plain sight.
Flavourwise, it blends you in but you'll still be seen if standing at point blank.

Empty body is the weirdest shit considering it turns monk from 'squishy' to 'tanky' at level 18 of all times.

Advice for tackling the Amber Temple?
Accept the dark gifts?

Well when that happens, I... I... pocket sand