/wfg/ Warhammer Fantasy General

No role playing as fictional species allowed in this thread.

> Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

> We're looking for these novels for the archive
pastebin.com/xXYsyMmi

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com/

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20060621034708/http://uk.games-workshop.com:80/chronicles/special-characters/1/
warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Coeddil
warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cythral
youtube.com/watch?v=3PtX_tJdBU4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Something stupid that's been bothering me: in 5th edition, the Bretonnian army book had a ton of special characters. But in 6th they got barely a fraction of those, with only a few new units to make up for it.

If the focus of Bretonnia was on having a ton of special characters, why not bring them into 6th and keep doing that? Or why not try to incorporate some of those characters into new units - imagine a unit that had the abilities of Tristan le Troubadour.

>mfw a bretonnian mentions his "Military Heritage"

empirefags cant even afford shoes

>why

Replacing the 6th Ed ST with THIS was a fucking hatecrime.

Why do you say that? I think they are bretty good

Why not?

You know what codpieces are, right?
There is nothing inside

I wonder why they did that for the artillery crews, but none of the other Empire units.

All armybooks were like that. They were slimmer than the ones in the 4th and the 5th editions, so GW couldn't spare pages on special characters, especially since Warhammer players historically have been averse to their use. Old special characters for other armies had rules online though, I don't know why not Bretonnia. web.archive.org/web/20060621034708/http://uk.games-workshop.com:80/chronicles/special-characters/1/

Kinda wish I'd gotten one of those FW fire dragons back in the day
I had no idea that Smaug was the same size, though

Anyhow, you guys have this thing happen to you, where you constantly try taking a different unit along with your army to hopefully see them perform, only to win or lose without them ever getting to perform?
This is the case with me and Wardancers, 3-4 games in a row now I've taken them, and each time I've arrow'd my enemy off the board before they even see combat or they eat cannonballs and junk until they all bite the dust

Clipping
Pic unrelated.

This is some real interesting stuff - especially how Gotrek and Felix could join a Bretonnian army without penalty. I'm still somewhat surprised that they became so iconic and such long-lived characters, especially when their sister universe 40k doesn't really have anything like that.

Only guess I can make for the lack of Bretonnian characters is possibly that GW was trying to reinvent their lore and drop a few of the most chivalrous characters. Or GW didn't care, who knows?

>Vladmir von Raukol
That is a remarkable typo.

>Balrog could be made to work for any faction imo
IMO the whole fiery devil look make it scream Khorne, but with a bit of creative painting I can totally see it as Tzeentch aswell. Nurgle or Slaanesh doesn't seem that suitable to me though.

If anyone is interested I went with an edited take on this set up (exchanged Chaos Familiar for Banner of Swiftness on my Warriors witch also allowed my BSB to requip himself with Luckstone, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Dragonhelm and a shield).
My opponent fielded Greenskins. Even with a disastrous miscast early in the game wherein I lost 3/4 of the spells on my DP I managed to beat him quite handily, allthough truth be told his army wasn't particularly try hard in iis setup.
With that in mind I would love to hear what fun-rather-than-competitive WoC-army lists you guys have tried and/or recommend me to test out.

Yeah that's pretty much me in every game, except for the game I played today. In that one I got the complete opposite result. The units I usually field saw very little action while the new ones I wanted to test out saw quite a bit.

I like the 7th kit as well.

Are these for 6th edition?

Don't suppose anyone fancies compiling them into a document? If not I may do it later.

> 6th edition + ravening horde master race coming though.

Sounds good, how did the demon prince do? Also just a reminder that BSB can't take magic items.

>when you notice that you can purchase 97 good quality 28mm scale models from a different manufacturer for the price of one squad of 10 iron breakers from GW

What might it be that you're talking about

BSB can take magic items as long as they don't also take a magical banner.

The DP did really good. He started off by spirit leeching an orc shaman to death. He and the Chimera then wrecked a large unit of Big 'Unz Savage Orcs. After that he easily tanked an Arachnaroch (killing the Goblin Shaman Lord that rode it) and a large unit of Black Orcs with an orc Lord untill my Trolls and Warriors blocks arrived to finish the job.

it was a warlords games deal

I read all of that in Dunc's voice. It was glorious.

Orcs and Goblins are currently the best faction in Warhammer TW, as well as being the best race currently in the game. If trends continue, this means Skaven will be the best faction in Warhammer 2?

> Orcs and Goblins are currently the best faction in Warhammer TW
[citation needed]

Is there anywhere to check multiplayer win rates?

KITA! 3 boxes of these Gors. The army grows.

They are for the 6th edition, yes.

Total War makes me want to build the minotaur heavy army I always wanted. Then I remember that time, not money, is my limiter now and forget about it. 6mm only.

>organised blocks of halberdiers that didn't look chaotic on the battlefield died for this set

misery

nothing wrong with taking it slow

> 6mm
> Anything below 10mm

> When GW abandoning you actually leads to a Fantasy golden age.

My body is ready.

Minotaurs can be painted rather quickly if you aren't overly pedantic with your paintjobs.

I'm finally going to get an Empire army when Warlord releases these bad boys. Gonna have a huge block of pikemen.

I remember seeing them in 2014 when they were first sculpted by Progloria and I've waited ever since. I own about 50 of the 7th edition ones but if they fit with the great swords I may replace them with these.

Warlord will also probably sell them in boxes of 30 or 40.

Well...

Minotaurs should be pretty fast to paint because of the larger surfaces requiring less fiddling around
i find it more fun as well.
The best time I had painting were my stone trolls, while stuff like glade guard make me want to rip my fucking testies off and grind them into a fine paste

I'm curious as to the scale of these guys. And they are just halberd/pikes, No ranged weapons.
Pro Gloria did have some handguns sculpted though, and a bunch of extra heads/bodies. Hopefully if these sell well they'll consider doing another box.

In any case: fuck yes. This gun be gud.

>Smaug the "I weight two and a half pounds of resin" golden

I was trying to make an 8th edition Empire list (which is where things got bad when I think about it) so instead I made one for 9th age.

++ Empire of Sonnstahl (BS2.0 Empire of Sonnstahl) [1999pts] ++

+ Characters [276pts] +

Marshal [276pts]: Army General, Great Tactician [60pts], Shield [6pts]
. Magic Items [50pts]: Hero's Sword [40pts], Talisman of Shielding [10pts]

+ Core [978pts] +

Heavy Infantry [409pts]: 39x Heavy Infantry [390pts], Musician [20pts], Spear [39pts]

Light Infantry [228pts]: Champion [20pts], 12x Light Infantry [168pts], Musician [20pts], Replace Crossbow with Handgun, Standard Bearer [20pts]

State Militia (Paired Weapons) [156pts]: Champion [20pts], Musician [20pts], Standard Bearer [20pts], 12x State Militia [96pts]

State Militia (Ranged Weapons) [185pts]: Musician [20pts], Replace Paired Weapons with Bow [45pts], 15x State Militia [120pts]

+ Special [330pts] +

Knights of the Sun Griffon [330pts]: Champion [20pts], 3x Knight of the Sun Griffon [300pts], Replace Halberd with Lance and Shield [30pts]

+ Imperial Armoury [235pts] +

Artillery [235pts]: Volley Gun [235pts]

+ Imperial Auxillaries [180pts] +

Reiters [180pts]: Brace of Pistols [30pts], Light Armour, 5x Reiter [150pts]

++ Total: [1999pts] ++
Oh why must your Ottoman Janissary box be half musket half sword Warlord?

>picture of Citadel dragons
>has Smaug
>a wyvern

Most classical dragon depictions is of wyverns and Tolkien's dragons are as serpentine as those.
Not an excuse for Smaug since the fucker did have four legs and two wings, Jackson or WETA got lazy.

>it's another "Veeky Forums doesn't know what makes a wyvern" episode
These are getting pretty tired. Did you know the word "wyvern" is derived from the word for viper? Because wyvern's primary heraldic identifier is its venomous, barbed tail. Arguing about wings with no regard for the barb makes you an idiot.

>Most classical dragon depictions is of wyverns
No, they didn't have barbed tails. Just the same chicken walk shape.

Barbed tails do not make wyverns.

Movie Smaug was originally supposed to have two legs, but because Cumberbatch wanted to mocap him so bad in addition to voicing him that they redesigned the dragon to have four legs.

Any /wfrp/ lovers in the building?

You're right. Barbed tails, serpent body, and dragon heads do. It's earliest mention (or inspiration), however, was literally just "dragons with venomous stingers" that Trajan's legions encountered in Dracia.

A slann suddenly appears before you, /wfg/. It tells you with its toady mind-waves that you will be teleported into the world of Warhammer, but you have the choice of what sort of mortal being you can be when you get there. Norseman, Bretonnian, Dark Elf, Beastman, Snotling; so long as it's mortal (or at least starts off mortal), you can choose it.

What do you pick?

I remember on /v/ before Skryimn was released threads kept popping up about people screaming, "Their WYVERNS NOT DRAGONS!" Bunch of nonsense.

>Their

In the naysayer's defence (not that most of them even knew), but most of the dragon models in Skyrim have what look like barbed stingers.

In Bethesda's defence, this design for dragons has been in the game since practically the beginning, all the way down to the barbed-looking tails. I don't know what game introduced the Imperial Seal, but it was plastered on Morrowind's cover, so it's been around for awhile.

cannot help user, I do know 8th ed rules though, which would consist of you taking a tank, 2 cannons. A big wiz(pref lore of life for healing tank, though light works too)
then a big block of infantry and the rest is up to you/

So some /twg/ twat saw the campaign demo at e3 (the one we're getting tommorow) and he mentions there being a rogue army (basically NPC armies with no race restrictions and a unique theme) that's a dark, twisted, and corrupted treeman in Lustria. Is this new lore?

Fuck off dragons

as I said in the total war general user, it's fairly legit.
warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Coeddil

is the big bad in the woods for example.

to expand on this, read this
warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cythral

it's tree prison. makes sense considering the tree spirits can travel across the world via the worldroots not ALL of them are stuck there.

Looks good to me, I would maybe think about upping those state militia to halberds or something though to give them some bite, I assume they're there to support the spear block?

They should fit with GW stuff well as Warlord use the same heroic scale with slightly larger hands and heads.

They have a large landsknecht collection already in metal, the handgunners may just stay in metal.

The militia is just to squeeze use out of these guys, who should be imperial guard but I just don't have the points.
I still don't know why battle scribe flipped a tit for the 8th list.

I would say Imperial or Dwarf, but my life would probably be really shitty and not comfy.

Honestly, I would pick either Lizardman (preferably Saurus or Kroxigor) or Orc (preferably Black Orc or Savage Orc) because at least with Lizardmen they're more-or-less organic robots that don't give a shit, and with Orcs I'm gonna be bound to enjoy fighting even if I charge into certain death due to Orc mentality.

I would guess being an elf in Athel Loren would still be the most comfy, secure and yet "fun" life you can get.

>buying into the NEET elves meme

Veeky Forums please go.

Bretonnian noble means that I get to live a fairly comfy life with not!slavery taking care of most of my needs - as long as I'm military competent and chivalrous, I'll be fine. I can even import stuff from other lands if I get tired of the stock medieval life and want some variety.

I'd say Dark Elf because they have such a strange and interesting society of backstabbing and advancement from lows to highs, but it's also very confusing and I'd probably die quick just trying to figure out what rung I'm on.

yeah, I'd like some more info on this too

of all the factions I have the least success with OanG consistently

I would like to live as a skink. They seem to live decent lives, being fairly high up on the Lizardmen totem poll. I could boss around Kroxigor's and Saraus to build temples.

>as long as I'm military competent
You are Bretonnian.

we run this general

Halfling, merry in the Moot, far from trouble.

I'd rather be a dwarf, hate my inferior and treacherous neighbors, drink fine brews and play rousing games of "shoot the flying greenskin head" in the great hall with the lads, kill elves.

Bloody paradise.

No, you go. Only the filthy waifufags and hentaifags at Veeky Forums would ever believe in the "Wood Elf super comfy 2D anime NEET life" meme.

Well, at least it's not complex - ride on the horse, point the stick, skewer the Orc or Beastman, make sure the peasants are somewhere in there so the enemy can't run away.

You apparently know more about these threads than me.

This board is full of autists from the GitP forums who think Dungeons & Dragons decides what a dragon and a wyvern are.

My sweet summer child.

Yeah, take smelter demon from Dark Souls. Make him blue and bam, Tzeentchian cool ranch flavor.

We're a small but vicious demographic of the thread!

>that Trajan's legions encountered in Dracia.
Tell me more and/or give me some sources please!

They are 2d anime neets, being a redneck with a shotgun that shoots on sight is just part of life and not really a job.
As for comfy, elves are weird. Maybe they find living in a magical realm full death and dickery to be comfy.

Isn't most of the dickery only for outsiders? Well, there is death, but it's not like the rest of the world is such a peaceful place.

Most other civilized people won't just shoot on sight. Unless you're a beastman, in which case you deserved it.

>Unless you're a beastman, in which case you deserved it.
wow, okay. rude.

Well, this question isn't about that you get shot, but if it would be comfy to be on the side that shoots.

If the wood elves find living in a magical realm of harmful spirits, several necromancer bullseyes, and an even worse magical realm to the south full of trees that want to kill them to be comfy that's on them.
Elves have never made much sense anyway.

The wood elves may not be okay with all the shit down there, but they made the conscious decision to stay in these forests and say fuck you to the rest of the world, except when they go out to fuck around in it.

Ulthuan and Lustria fly-over:
youtube.com/watch?v=3PtX_tJdBU4

>blue light beam that shoots up

like pottery

Flashbacks of blood knights getting completely destroyed by an absurd canon shot on turn 1.

Imagine living in Ulthuan
>waku up
>vortex is awfully bright today
>shut curtains

a-are they phasing out the hammerers and ironbreakers?

Its such a new sculpt that they might just re-package them for AoS

They're being reboxed.

Going to get some, just incase, you know.
Can never be sure anymore .