EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Utility creatures or spell alternatives Edition

Previous Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/4F4Gz

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question(s):
Do you play, or play against, secret commander decks, and if so how do they tend to run without the safe haven of the command zone?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-06-17-kaalia-prototype/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-06-17-jhoira-edh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>secret commander decks

The fuck?

What's a secret commander?

I'm now building my Crouching Tazri, Hidden Zada deck. There's two backups for her (Mirrorwing and the Nephilim) but I'll still pack cards to retrieve her from grave and exile zone if needed.

>Do you play, or play against, secret commander decks, and if so how do they tend to run without the safe haven of the command zone?
Unironically what did he mean by this?

>Do you play, or play against, secret commander decks, and if so how do they tend to run without the safe haven of the command zone?
used to play marath with secret commander Rith.
nobody expects you to either haste her out or chord her out at the end step before your turn.
makes soooo many tokens.
imho shes much better in the 99

you play one commander with a different commander in the 99 that you tutor for every game to trick people with bad threat assessment into not targeting the narset player because hurr durr it's actually ruhan

I do, but when only one? I run all of them but just got Ghirapur to replace Korn.

>Do you play, or play against, secret commander decks

I have a Hazezon Tamar deck that essentially uses Thromok and Brion Stoutarm as partner commanders in the 99.

I like to get a fuckload of tokens then sac them to devour dudes, then fling them with brion. It's certainly not my strongest deck, but it's pretty fun.

sounds like the kind of dumb shit pretentious johnny players do to show off their 1337 deck building skills.

Got a decklist?

How high will it go?

Yasova with Xenagod.

a lot of the time it's like... "hmm i want to play nekusar but i want to have green in the deck" so they build a nekusar deck with the green stuff they want, put nekky in the 98, and make thrasios/vial smasher the commander

Probably not much higher than it already is. Doesn't matter to me though, I have my FTV copy and token already. Purely for jank purposes, of course.

Secret Commander decks are decks where your actual Commander is a decoy, or you're just playing them for the colors. You build the deck as though a certain card in the 99 is the "real" Commander.

I've heard people jokingly refer to Cabal Coffers as their Secret Commander in Mono-B.

so it's like building Ashling but your actual commander is Mountain?

Or Josh Lee Quwai's 5 color nekuzar commander deck?

>Thread Question
Every Boros deck

A friend of mine told me Wizards finally took control of the format from the RC. Is that true?

Only on Online.

Just incase user from last thread didnt see.

When you have that left from ashnod altar is where the loop grows.

You now can equip one of the tokens to draw 2 and spawn 2

Now you have 3 tokens, sac a token for , you now have 2 tokens and . Equip a token.

Now you have 3 tokens and left

Excellent.

>sol ring finally banned
>painter's servant still banned

Well, okay. It's mostly an improvement, and where it hasn't been improved it stayed the same. Hopefully this forces the RC to stop being retarded and adjust their banlist to match.

Oh ok, now I get it. Thanks for clearing it up.

sol ring is fine in 4-player, it's only really a problem in 1v1

>sol ring is fine in 4-player
>implying combo cares how many opponents there are
fast rocks shift the meta toward fast combo and away from fun interactive games of magic.

maybe in your group, but in mine most of the time sol ring leads to a turn 4 knowledge pool.

we're talking about a format that was created by bored judges who wanted to see weird interactions that don't usually happen

Incorrect, sheldon. Now go write an article about how Mardu Woe Reaper makes you think you should unban Recurring Nightmare.

>we're talking about a format that was created by bored judges who wanted to see weird interactions that don't usually happen
And you can still see those interactions without sol ring. Your point is what exactly?

Any tech for Azami?
I'm mainly looking to win through Mind over Matter and Azami or Arcanis, but having wizard tribal synergies seems like a fun way to survive until I draw into the combo pieces.

Any fun wizards that may not be well known?

this

>Can we get a green and white legendary Cat at some point in the near future? We keep getting good Cats with green color identities and the only multicolored legendary cat is Jedit Ojanen.

>It’s on the short list of legendary creature requests.

rev up those kitties

sol ring gets them out faster. if there's no dick going for quick kills and treating the format like singleton legacy it can quickly lead to funny chaos scenarios and other shenanigans.

if you've got a problem with sol ring, talk to your group about houseruling a ban on it, i'm not going to stop you.

Constructed player here. I've decided to join your world specifically for this card, and I don't care how bad it is. I feel like I've finally found my spirit legendary

What cards should I absolutely have and what cards do you think will 100% be changed to Dinosaur?

Why's nobody mentioning this shit? Just how many decks fit around this guy?

Card draw.dec? UR stax? Ashnod's Altar/Skullclamp combo? All of the above?

>sol ring gets them out faster.
at the unacceptable cost of making EDH not suitable for play among randoms, because of the much more significant risk of sol ring leading to a broken board.

these new gods seem pretty good at never costing more than their casting cost because they rarely go to the command zone too

>Why's nobody mentioning this shit?
Probably because everyone was already talking about him last thread.

Looks fun for wheels.dec and combos.

i'd rather play niv mizzet though. easier combos.

>StP

like i said, you can houserule ban it if you want to. i don't know what your group is like, but mine has never had a problem with it.

Staple removal like Chaos Warp, Beast Within, Grasp of Fate, Blasphemous Act, Wave of Vitriol and Cataclysm.

Ramp spells like Rampant Growth, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, etc.

Tribal tech such as Shared Animosity, Descendants' Path and Urza's Incubator.

As far as old cards being ret-conned into Dinos, the only ones I know for sure will be Pygmy Allosaurus and Imperiosaur.

One card in the middle of many. Sure, it'll happen, but more often than not it'll go to your hand.

You can't houserule pickup games at tournaments, or other settings where you meet random players, you moron.

If I held that mentality I would only play tier 1 commanders.

I'd place a good amount of money on Deathmist Raptor being changed into Dinosaur

Thanks for the suggestions!

>Rofllos asked:

>Is The Locus God a color pie break? UR shouldn't be making tokens on card draw. It seems more of a UG thing.

>We tried to make the tokens have more of a red flavor by giving them haste. I was pretty unsatisfied with the outcome. If I could go back, The Locus God would have been Blue and Green and created tokens with deathtouch instead of haste.

playing EDH with randoms will always be shit though.

Rest assured, I too am building a Gishark deck as soon as I can. I just wanna see more of the dinos in the actual set at this point. Carnage Tyrant and Goring Ceratops look hurty AF.

Yes, because it has a shit banlist. I'll never understand the logic behind the RC:

>let's not make our banlist suitable for groups of players meeting each other for the first time. They need it most.
>instead, let's make our banlist not suitable for them, because fuck them, and instead insist everyone who can't modify the banlist play exactly like we do.

I'm glad wizards took over online, and I hope they kick sheldon and his sycophants out entirely.

Can attest. I havnt played with a random yet who wasnt some form of shitty.

>Chaos warp, Beast within, Blasphemous Act
Nigga you are in Naya, not mono green or red. Path, Swords, Krosan Grip, Wraths, Return to Dust and Decimate.

christ, chill the fuck out. edh is a format to play with friends for fun

I'm personally not huge on Path or Swords in Commander, but those are all fair choices as well.

And I like meeting new people. So when I go to a tournament, or a new store, I bring the EDH deck collection. And about half of my EDH games with new people aren't fun anymore, because of Sheldon's inability to care about games outside of a circlejerk.

I*'d say at least Swords is a staple in Wx, one mana instant "fuck this little nigga here he's bothering me" for basically free is always great.

then build a consistent competitive deck that can compete with those decks. you've got access to sol ring too.

>EDH with randoms sucks because cards like sol ring throw off all balance in the game
>lol just play sol ring

... You actually are sheldon aren't you? Nobody else is this moronic.

you've got tutors and other fast mana too.

>I'm personally not huge on Path or Swords in Commander
>i enjoy paying more than 3x as much for removal because craw wurm meta
if you are playing white and you dont put a swords to plowshares in you are doing it wrong

Because mirror and the white no-counter enchant are 100x more interesting

Dude, why the fuck are you NOT running sol ring, and then bitching about sol ring? That's like the dude complaining about his Camery not having enough horsepower when you're racing against a Corvette. If you are going to purposely cripple yourself, you have no right to bitch about it, especially since Sol Ring is dirt fucking cheap now.

So be it.

>lol just play sol ring
i really fucking hate this, you ever hear his explanation of why pro hulk was unbanned its plain double speak.
then he goes off on this tangent about removal and hinges his whole argument basically on the fact that nobody plays graveyard removal in their meta despite saying at the beginning that graveyard decks are becoming pretty much ubiquitous

he does play sol ring i guarantee it
it would just be better if nobody did like if it were banned or something

I never said I wasn't running sol ring you moron. I was just commenting on the idiocy of responding to a complaint about how sol ring ruins games, with "well run sol ring".

The entire RC can't be shitposting in the same thread can they? But i'm not sure there's any other explanation for 2 people this moronic responding.

Interestingly you don't have a 92/99 chance of your stick not existing for the first six seconds of a race.

>complaining about a card means you don't run it.
Interesting. Considering that modern had Eldrazi Winter, Standard has had Felidar, Marvel, and Emrakul in massive percentages of the meta and still people running those decks thought they were to strong, I don't think you have an argument.

Don't be stupid.

as someone who's dabbled in competitive, sol ring is one of dozens of cards that leads to an easy turn 3.5 win. singling it out is a mistake. if you're gonna ban sol ring you might as well ban dark ritual which helps the one-turn combo decks just as much.

Dark Ritual is a good card, but it isn't "the best card in magic". Consider that with sol ring and mana crypt (another card that should be banned), I can lay out a huge mana advantage, and then cast a wheel effect on turn 1. This is the sort of backbreaking play that fast artifact mana enables, but Dark Ritual doesn't.

Fucking it, I'm turning Zada into mono-R Grenzo. He just looks like too much fun, and is actually perfect for the variant my group is currently into.

What're some good includes in Red Grenzo?

Shoulda put x into play whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, where x is the cmc, the activated ability could been retrieving an instant or sorcery at random from the graveyard

Well I know its not out yet, but I think the new Neheb will be a worthy addition.

Metal Neheb will be worthy addition to any Rx and even mono.

He'll go in my Niv-Mizzet deck.

i'm so looking forward to playing neheb with sword of feast and famine.
>tap out for a fireball effect
>swing for 6, untap all lands
>tap out and use extra mana for second fireball effect

Grenzo's fun, but my group quickly learned to smite-on-sight when he hits the table. I just have him in the 99 of my Zada deck.

Judge my Kaalia deck. It's my first one and I want to make sure it's decent before spending ~250 dollars on it.

>second fireball effect
>not Fanning the Flames both times since you'll have a truckload of mana
>or the true red mage's Fireball of choice, Titan's Revenge

you are aware that you could just as well give us a direct link?

Also, those land ratios are swapped, it should be 5 swamp, 3 mountain. I'll adjust that.

i count both of those as "fireball effects"

x mana deal x damage

Yes they are, you missed the point but anyway. TRUCKLOADS OF MANA.

Filtered.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-06-17-kaalia-prototype/

if you've got sword on neheb, you could also earthquake for 7 and he'd survive, be able to attack an open board somewhere, and assuming you've got 8 mana in lands, you'd have 35 mana to play with second main

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-06-17-jhoira-edh/

how do I make this more consistent? first edh deck

I think you need more Dragons, because duh. A few useful ones I can think of include Dragon Mage, Hellkite Charger, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury, Scourge of the Throne and Thundermaw Hellkite.

Are you going to run this card in your deck?

If my playgroup lets me

Yikes

Do you know how I can filter on mobile? I don't see it.

>newfag
>mobilefag
>trying to filter one of the better posters in this general, to no avail
I bet you use Veeky Forums nude, just haphazardly killing your phone with advertisements through your browser.

I asked how, not specified who.

> being this fucking new
> strawmanning this much

I bet you /pol/ is the enemy, huh, they just need to hear "Her" out, huh?

is athreos worth it in ayli?

>this fucker in Arjun Wheels
Oh BABY

Wacky predictions for the last God?
It's U/B so I'm thinking maybe something to do with discard?

>implying it won't just be mill like every other U/B card they print

If they wanted to make it interesting, have it be primarily discard, but if they have no cards in hand, make 'em mill instead. Either way, it plays into Frayed Sanity.